Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronneh
i used to really like the anita blake series. i really did. so don't take this comment directed offensively at you, OKAY?

i liked it for a while, just bouncing back and forth between books not necessarily reading them in order unless they required it. i think it was narcisuss in chains that just set me off on a hating streak. don't get me wrong, that book is probably my favorite if i had to pick one out of this series. [mostly because i -really- like narcisuss. :< ]

but what began to annoy the piss out of me was that -everything- seemed to happen to the main character: anita blake. and i do mean everything. she's a total of what now? please just list off everything that she is in your mind and consider the ridiculousness of it. i mean, christ, hamilton. just pick another character to focus the story on for a few fricking pages.

a friend of mine, who is a hardcore fan of the books, has listed off for me [after reading the newest book] everything she is. and more has been added to that list since i stopped reading. it just disgusted me. i asked why she read it and she said she found it amusing how everything focused around her. >/ [i honestly think she just reads them for the smut. mostly because she's as pervy as i am, if not more.]

i ALSO do not like her writing stlye or her knack of dragging things out for a whole chapter when it should be maybe a five paragraph conversation. [EXAMPLE] narcisuss in chains: while she was going to go rescue nathaniel [towards the beginning of the book] she [once getting to the club] went upstairs and preceded to have an entire chapter's worth conversation and started macking FOR NO GOOD REASON while her beloved companions were bleeding and broken in the basement. YAAAAY ANITA.

..wheh. okay. excuse my rant. i haven't really read anything else done by her, mostly because i really don't like her stlye. but if you have any suggestions or even an arguement for me to provide good reason for me not to hate this series with a passion [xD; ] please post such.
No offense taken dear. Your points are valid and I understand how the fact that everything happens to Anita can seem a little rediculous. But the simple fact is that the series is fiction. Hamilton doesn't try to convince her readers that vampires and lycanthropes really do exsist, but merely shows us the world that she has created for her characters to live in. It is loosely based on the real world, but thats what I like so much about her books.
I'm not going to try and convince you to like the series again, because everyone likes different writing styles, and frankly thats not the reason for this thread. This thread was created for fans to get together and talk about an author and her books that we all enjoy. If you wish, you may continue posting here, and perhaps another fan will have the convincing arguement you are look for. :wink:

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Skrae Send a message via Yahoo to Skrae

Old 07-31-2007, 05:41 PM

I love both series, although was not overly fond of Mistral's Kiss in the Meredith Gentry series.
I prefer Barinthus and Doyle over all of the other characters.
Frost, and Asher seem to be mirrors of each other in attitude, I've noticed.
And you could reasonably compare Nathaniel and Kitto, I believe.
Nathaniel is actually my favorite male character besides Rafael in the Anita Blake series.
Anita wouldn't be the main character were the story not focused on her, and her "abilities" seem to increase with the more accepting and open she becomes towards the other characters.
So I like to think that the books are impressing how important open-mindedness is upon people.
The newest Anita Blake book is The HArlequin, and I heartily suggest it.
They brought a good character back again.
*sorry, not trying to spoil!*

` Ebil
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Oh i love the blake series i have to get the newest ones but being broke does not help lol.

Freudian Slip
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 08-16-2007, 05:39 PM

I've only read one anita blake book.
i wanna find the others.
Nao.

The one I read was The Harliquen or somthing like that.
I loved it.
<3

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Sorry for the disappearance, but I took a few weeks to go back and see my family in CA. It was a long plane ride, but it gave me a good excuse to buy The Harlequinn :wink:

OOH! I almost forgot! The new Meredith Gentry Book is scheduled for release on October 30, and the title is going to be A Lick of Frost *shudders with anticipation* I'll try to post the ad I saw if I can figure out how to use our scanner. ^^;;

LadyKikyo
I am known on some other sites a...

Old 08-22-2007, 05:06 PM

I love Anita Blake series
I usually am more into fantasy than the vampire thing but I got hooked on these ones ^.^

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 AM

Ok, has anyone else read The Harlequinn yet? I finished it last week, and I was actually really disappionted! I felt like there were a few scenes in the beginning that had already played out in previous books leaving me with a sense of major Deja vu and worry that Hamilton is running out of orginal material. And whats with the end of the book? Is it just me, or did it feel like there were chapters missing? And the wrap-up in the end seemed to come out of left field and was very rushed.

Anyone else share these concerns?

Nessy

Old 09-04-2007, 11:46 PM

I started those concerns back in Cerulean Sins! I'm sorry, but Anita has lost all semblance of her character. She started out as an independent, moral, witty woman, and now she's just a ball of sex and kink.

I haven't seen Anita do anything remotely detective-ish since what...Narcissus? And even then, it was INCREDIBLY downplayed over the sex and gore. I understand that it's part of her life, but I think Hamilton would've been better served by leaving the ardeur out of Anita's life entirely.

Perhaps have introduced it through Jean-Claude, but not given it to Anita. Not to mention she's using her books as a soapbox! Her ex-husband is the character Richard. Notice Anita and Richard having problems? Micah, the over-endowed sex god is her NEW husband, with Jean-Claude as her wet dreams!

It's been admitted by her on more than one occasion that she's using those metaphors in her books, and I'm fairly sick of it! I've stopped reading the Anita books, and I'm soon to stop reading the Merry Gentry ones.

At least with Merry, you expected sex and such right off the bat. Anita at least started OUT with a personality! Merry never had one. She seems to be developing as the books go along.

Whereas Anita is losing more and more of herself and just becoming a faceless sex toy.

Love_Miku
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-25-2007, 08:39 PM

Her books are awesome! She is my favorite writer. Even though i am behind in the Anita Blake series T_T Im on the 5th book T_T

I read the Mary Gentry books. can't wait for the next one.

heartpoint
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-26-2007, 04:12 AM

how can one pick between the diffrent series there both so good. Kiss of frost is coming out i'm so happy.

DarkMelancholy
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 AM

Her stories are awesome!

I have read all of the Anita Blake Novels, and only one of the Merry Gentry Novels. I think that the little world Hamilton created was very imaginative--the whole thing with the vampire and wereanimal politics, masters and alpha.

Have anyone of you read the book Strange Candy? It is a book full of Hamilton's short stories, and it contains two of Anita Blake's stories. The first one was just plain about Anita's job as an animator, without Jean-Claude or Richard ever appearing. The second one was about Anita just before the novel Narcissus in Chains.

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-13-2007, 09:28 AM

I've really been into Anita Blake since I was up at WSU in 2002. (So I'm a bit late.) Anyway, I was disappointed when she started moving away from the plot and into straight lemon land. It's not that I mind the erotica in her books at all it's just I want to know more about the vampire council and what not. But I hear she's returning to things with harlequin, which is where I left off. Anyone care to confirm that so I can feel justified in shelling out for future hardbacks.

Missy Rin
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-04-2009, 07:14 AM

Both series are awesome I'm not sure which I prefer though! That would be a tough choice since I'm like in Love with Doyle (Darkness) and Frost in the Meredith Gentry series and In the Anita Blake series I'm in love with Nathanial and Jean Claude! That is like such a hard decision!!!

ara la illusionist
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-04-2009, 02:13 PM

I have all of the books and have read all of them. I love them but I think that after book 9 in Anita Blake you can just skip to book 14 and not miss anything but sex.

Lady Luck Infinity
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-10-2009, 04:36 AM

I'm so behind in the Merry books. I love both series'but mostly enjoy Anita's tale better- I prefer vampies over the fae but all the lend stuff in the Merry books makes them interesting as well.

Has anyone read the Anita Blake comic? I have a super sexy glossy picture of Jean Claude from the original release at my comic store and it is to die for.

maiasidhe
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-10-2009, 03:51 PM

I am up to date on both series and have to say that lately ive been a little disappointed in the Blake series. The endings have been rushed. Whole sections of the books seem rushed actually and there is less action than there used to be I miss the days when Anita kicked ass!

Sagando Mirasta
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Sagando Mirasta Send a message via Yahoo to Sagando Mirasta

Old 09-13-2009, 01:49 AM

I am a very big fan of both series. Some friends got me started with Anita Blake, and I utterly adored her and the characters of the books, and my friends kept insisting Merry was just as wonderful, and a completely different story. I started on that series, and love it as well. They are the only two series I desperately try and keep up to date on. I have read up to the current books and am anxiously awaiting the next in both series.

As far as characters, I am a fan of Jason, Nathaniel, Damian and Edward most of all from Anita, and I love Frost, Rhys and Kitto. :3

@Maiasidhe
I agree about the Anita series. The last ending really disappointed me. It was cool, buat the same time just... I dunno. Not what I'm used to, and not what I've been expecting.

@Lady Luck Infinity
I own the first two hard-back comics, but I've not really read them yet. I have glanced through it though, and I love the way they've presented the characters.

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-29-2009, 01:03 PM

I enjoy both series, but I think I like Merdith Gentry better.

What I love about Hamiltion is her ability to world build. She makes worlds where vampires are legal citizens and there is a vaccine against lycanthropy or where the fae immigrated to the United States under treaty, seem real and compelling.

LaVida
On Semi-Hiatus
Penpal

Old 10-29-2009, 03:32 PM

ronneh & ladykikyo>> try reading nightseer- awesome fantasy ;)

people talking about the graphic novel >> the graphic novel has awesome drawings ;) AND you also get to see edward w/ glasses on <3 (we had a discussion about this on this other Laurell K. Hamellton thread that died)

AND PEOPLE!!!! OMG!!! I HEARD THAT A SERIES IS COMING OUT FOR ANITA BLAKE!!!! *squeels*

umm, I think I missed some stuff...but, ah well, I'll post later :P

oh yea, strange candy and harlequin I have both read. Strange candy's name is given VERY appropriately :) (and it has not a BIT of sex in it :P)

Sagando Mirasta
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Sagando Mirasta Send a message via Yahoo to Sagando Mirasta

Old 10-31-2009, 01:16 AM

A series? Seriously? o_o Where did you hear about this?

MoonSilverWing
MoonSilverWing

Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 PM

My old roomate got me started on them in 2003 I have a habit of reading one book per day since I have don't put book down syndrome! I love both series bit after reading more and more sex scenes I got slightly bored it was missing the true story line in anita at least in mine and other opinions but we stayed faithful readers in case it changes.

Laurell also has a myspace page and a website people can search for on google, it lists book release dates and the order for them on the website. There is also a comic book series that actually is very very well drawn makes the nummy factor go up for jean claude fans!

Laurell also replied to a question in myspace for me recommending a great publisher if I ever want to get my own written works done she's sweet and Ill keep rooting for her!

LaVida
On Semi-Hiatus
Penpal

Old 11-03-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagando Mirasta View Post
A series? Seriously? o_o Where did you hear about this?
the last thread they had on Anita Blake - search the forums and If you can't find it I'll give you a link.

Ah~~~ almost.....finished....first Merry Gentry book XP

Ketsuri666
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-28-2009, 02:11 AM

I loooooooooooooooooooooove the Anita Blake Series!
I desperatly need the next book, I left off on killing dance, and I havent been able to find burnt offering :(

Kaethe Vala

Old 11-29-2009, 05:27 PM

Love the Anita Blake series!

Found out about it through book recommendations.. Then proceeded to get my sister addicted to the series.. :3

Think I have all the books.. ^^ [Never attempted to read the Meredith series]

I have so many authors to sort of.. Update my reading list with.. Been a good.. Month or two since I bought a book I think! O.o

Oh, the horror.. D: x

TerrenaAnimula
a little earth soul
Penpal

Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 PM

I love both the Anita Blake and Meredith Gentry series. I have all the books of both. And I have a mixture of both paperback and hardback. I don't really care about the consistency of just buying the same book format. If I love it and want to know what is going to happen next, I go ahead and buy the next book. Currently, I have already pre-ordered the next Meredith book. Can't wait for it to show up in the mail!

I also read the the Anita Blake series as the comics as well. But I wait for those to come out in the volumes before I buy them instead of buying each individual comic.