Yell

Old 06-03-2007, 01:45 AM

To Kill a Mockingbird was pretty bad. So bad that I didn't even read it all.

I would say Catcher in the Rye but the narration at least kept you interested. But the book itself was terrible.

sayuri_nitta
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to sayuri_nitta

Old 06-03-2007, 08:53 AM

Most of the stuff I had to read for english class!
Silas Marner, and P'tang Yang Kipperbang *makes snoring noises*

habib1337
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to habib1337 Send a message via Yahoo to habib1337

Old 06-03-2007, 05:36 PM

I feel bad saying this, but the boringest book I've ever read was the Simarillion by JRR Tolkien. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the Lord of the Rings, and I really wanted to know how middle earth was created. Unfortunately, I would read a page, then suddenly I'll be like "Wait, what did I just read?" Then move on. I'll try my hardest to concentrate, but the language it really hard to get used to. I just gave up, sadly. Which is weird for me because I always finish a book that I'm reading, even if it sucks.

extraordinary
n/a
Send a message via AIM to extraordinary

Old 06-03-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narim
I really like To Kill A Mockingbird, even if I have read it a couple of times.
me too!

I remember reading "The Old Man and the Sea" in high school...
what a pointless book..

But other than that I read some cool stuff in school =P

habib1337
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-03-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yell
To Kill a Mockingbird was pretty bad. So bad that I didn't even read it all.

I would say Catcher in the Rye but the narration at least kept you interested. But the book itself was terrible.
To kill a mockingbird was a great book, are you kidding me? You phail. Enjoy it.

xRainbow Sporksx
(-.-)zzZ
n/a
Send a message via AIM to xRainbow Sporksx

Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM

1984 by George Orwell because it was a boring book which was also very very VERY confusing to read because I guess of its complexity and deep meaning. I hated it even more when we had to write an essay and take a test over the book it was pure horror :[

habib1337
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-05-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRainbow Sporksx
1984 by George Orwell because it was a boring book which was also very very VERY confusing to read because I guess of its complexity and deep meaning. I hated it even more when we had to write an essay and take a test over the book it was pure horror :[
Lawl, I know a lot of people at my school that'd kill you if they heard those words. I never read the book, so I wouldn't know. But, I suggest reading another book George Orwell wrote, Animal Farm. Oh Gad, possibly the BEST fictional book I've EVER read.

Saikoguy
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-05-2007, 04:07 PM

I liked To kill a mocknig bird, but to each their own I guess

Wolf Brother and that series bored me so much! We had to read them in schools and I wanted to tear my hair out, and the edge too, that was another boring book we had to read in school.

The Mystical Spoon
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to The Mystical Spoon Send a message via MSN to The Mystical Spoon

Old 06-05-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRainbow Sporksx
I quite liked that book, maybe because of it's complexity, and the way it made a mockery of human society.

Frog
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-05-2007, 10:12 PM

I couldn't get through Jane Eyre.

It wasn't the language that had me yawning, and it wasn't the characters. I think it may have been the plot: it moved so slowly, and the combination with the language and characters (which, again, I didn't mind) just didn't work out for me.

I can deal with less-than-simple language; I can deal with despicable characters; I can deal with slow-moving plot. Throw them all together and add a class assignment and my brain refuses to work.

I might try reading it again in a few months time, though, to see if I can get through it. :3

IcyPanther
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-06-2007, 02:23 AM

Great Expectations by Dickens. We had to read it my freshman year and I thought it was going to be an interesting book. I mean, there was a kid named Pip (awesome name :whee:) and a runaway convict.

It all went downhill from there for me. I didn't like the plot, some things didn't tie in, and my teacher made us write too many chapter summaries. xD

1984 by Orwell.. I think I might have read that at some point but I can't remember what it was about ^^;

Kokoryta
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd
I don't believe there is such a thing as a boring book.

Sure, the writing may be dry. The plot may be slow moving. The characters may be dull. But that doesn't mean it's boring. There is always something in the writing for you to attach your attention to. If you find it boring, I suggest that you go back and reread it. You must have missed something.
I disagree.

For me, The Lord of the Flies by William Golding has absolutely no redeeming qualities, and I've been over that book a half dozen times in high school. Each time was worst then the last; the writing was dull, the characters were terrible and the abuse of symbolism made me want to kill things.

I also have not managed to work my way through the first Lord of the Ring book, but I will someday. I hope.

LemonChiffon
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-09-2007, 12:44 PM

Without a doubt, I hated reading The Notebook. My friend forced it on me and would not stop going on about how wonderful it was. I fell asleep within the first paragraph and found it excruciating to go from page to page. My eyes would glaze over from reading about characters I could not care even a tad about. I finished it and requested a refund on the time I lost having to read it. I'm a quick reader, but that was a painful loss of precious time.

SurfAngel
n/a

Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 AM

"The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" it. was. horrible!!!!!!!!!!!! it was incredibly boring! even the part where she was about 2 be hanged was boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SurfAngel
n/a

Old 06-11-2007, 03:33 AM

"The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" it. was. horrible!!!!!!!!!!!! it was incredibly boring! even the part where she was about 2 be hanged was boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x anyways, thts all in the past (thank god!)

Enniel
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-11-2007, 05:53 PM

truth and bright water -__-

mekado
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-11-2007, 07:09 PM

to kill a mocking bird

I hate that book more than anything! I really really really can't stand it..

Masquerade
*^_^*

Old 06-11-2007, 07:37 PM

Wow, I'm surprised at how many people didn't like "To Kill a Mockingbird."

We had to read "Heart of Darkness" when I started ninth grade. It had this problem where a character would be talking about a story in which another character was talking about another character who quoted...

You see where this is going? There were LAYERS of quotes. I think we counted and the worst one was thirteen layers of quotes. Plus it was just a crappy book.

I also hate "Absalom, Absalom" by William Faulkner. I had to take a Faulkner class in college, which was painful enough, but that particular book had run on sentences that literally went on for pages. I wanted to throw that book in a fire when I was done.

Caroline
stay gold

Old 06-11-2007, 09:27 PM

• Ishi is the worst book I have ever read.
    I had to read it in ninth grade English, and it was a huge bore. It was about Native Americans and the author described the most mundane things in excessive detail.

Akemi
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-12-2007, 01:51 AM

I've read most of these books and I'm an avid reader in general but there are a few books that were a struggle to get through... or I never managed to get through.

To Kill a Mockingbird- People tend to be split on this one, but I started it and it was years before I managed to sit down and read it all. It just didn't capture my interest.

Great Expectations - this book was torture to me, it was so bad I truthfully don't remember if I ever finished it. o_O I much preferred Jane Eyre which we also read in that class.

Tale of Genji - unabridged. I understand it was a meaningful book and part of it might be context but it took me years of putting down and picking up to finish this book. You can skip chapters and be in the same place. What bothered me was they would mention a character once, then go on for pages without mentioning it again. It got confusing quickly. Though I was only 15-16 when I was reading it so maybe it would make more sense now. I don't plan to try anytime soon.

Abis
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM

'Grapes of Wrath' by Steinbeck was absolutely painful... I've loved every other book by him, including 'East of Eden'... but GoW just drove me insane. For the first few chapters I could tolerate it by appreciating how well written it was... after that I died a little inside after every chapter I had to finish.

Ehm. Another would be 'Handmaid's Tale' by Atwood... I love the topic, I love the idea behind the book... I just truly don't like her writing style. Personal bias and all.

Dangerous Tinfoil Shoes
*crinkle crinkle crunch*
Send a message via MSN to Dangerous Tinfoil Shoes

Old 06-13-2007, 05:02 PM

A seperate peace. I LOVE reading and I couldn't get five pages into it. It made me want to sleep. XD I read a lot of sparknotes when we did that book in English class.

But I do try to get into books that are boring to me, I mean, I actually skipped like, five chapters when I read Harry Potter for the first time just to get me into the book, because the first two were so boring. Then I got to the end and I was like, "lets go back to the beginning and find out who the hell Hagrid is!" XD

AkashaHeartilly
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to AkashaHeartilly Send a message via Yahoo to AkashaHeartilly

Old 06-13-2007, 08:14 PM

Hmm, I had the hardest times ever reading the LoTR series and then, I think after that was reading "The Power of One' in high school.
I now usually try to not read books that are that boring.

Katnekochan
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-13-2007, 08:48 PM

I've tried to read Uncle Tom's Cabin because it was in the history book. It annoyed me the way they talked and it was so boring. D: I couldn't get through the first three chapters. .___.; And I'm a good/fast reader. I read a book in one day recently. D:

Queen Fool
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Queen Fool

Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 PM

"Tuck Everlasting"...I did not like 6th grade English for that reason...

Edit: I also read Snow Treasure in 4th grade. I, and 3 others, were supposedly "advanced readers" so they give us a book that's over our heads. We spent about 2 hours a week on it and got about half done in 2 months because none of us understood it. Then the teacher decided that it was too complex and we read something on a 2nd grade level.