Winter Wind
SORRY GUYS. D: I'm SUPERR busy a...
Send a message via AIM to Winter Wind Send a message via MSN to Winter Wind

Old 11-06-2007, 03:19 AM

I personally like sitting in Borders or Barnes and Nobles reading manga books or novels. I mean, why buy if you can read there? :]

Aaah, such is the cheapy way. xD

But if I don't have time, or I really truly love the book, then I'd buy it to support the authors, and to read it whenever I want. :3

What about you guys?

Sanajima Mamimi
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 AM

I just buy alot of random 1s i like XD i spend to much money their

Demosthenes
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-06-2007, 03:24 AM

I read most magazines in the stores, because magazines are somewhat expensive in Canada. If I want to read a novel though, I occasionally start it in the store, and buy it if I like it. I've been going to the library a lot lately, though.

Waffle
BAZINGA!
Send a message via MSN to Waffle

Old 11-06-2007, 03:30 AM

I'll usually buy the book if I've read another book by the same author and liked it. Or I would usually buy books that are sequels because I am familiar with the book. With manga, however, unless I can continue to read it over and over again without getting bored, I'd probably just sit in the corner and read the manga. But I like to support authors so I might buy the book. ^^

`Karma!
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to `Karma! Send a message via MSN to `Karma! Send a message via Yahoo to `Karma!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:30 AM

C: I buy novels, but I tend to read manga in the store since it only takes me about 20 minutes to finish one and thats not really worth my ten dollars. ^^"

Wordstreamer
Nifty Fairy of the North
Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Wordstreamer

Old 11-06-2007, 03:38 AM

I do that too. Not manga so much as other books, though. XD I always wonder if the people in the store are going to get angry at me.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 AM

My Barnes and Noble isn't too cozy. There are only so many groups of chairs, and I always feel uncomfortable sitting in one if there are already a couple of people in the circle. The way the store always sets them up makes it feel like we should all be talking, or something. There aren't enough individual couches among the bookshelves. And there aren't really any independent bookstores in my area, so I don't have a lot of alternatives.

If I read in the store, I do it standing right where I got the book. I have the ability to zone out like that. Usually it won't be too long, from 15-20 minutes, and I'll know whether or not I want to spend my hard earned cash on that overpriced piece of paper. But I'll never just stay and read it from cover to cover. That's what a library if for, after all. =)

fallenangel112705
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to fallenangel112705

Old 11-06-2007, 05:41 AM

i've never sat in a bookstore and read i always buy my books and then leave to read them at home. I'll have to try it sometime tho.

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 11-06-2007, 07:13 AM

• I do a little bit of both, but it depends on whether I do feel like staying in the bookstore or leaving.

The place I usually hang out at is Barnes & Noble, and that's typically with Donna (of course). Sometimes I go to Borders...but I don't go there often...just twice since I've moved here.

But yes, sometimes we do hang out in the bookstore for fun...reading random books and eventually buying them if we like the books that much, or leave them if we don't. It's tight though. I see a lot of people hanging around doing the same thing...especially people in the manga section...damnz. I just go over there, know what I wanna look for and go buy it coz I don't wanna sit with people who actually have the same interests as me. I'm paranoid like that.

Last Barnes & Noble shopping Donna and I went...I believe we spent a good hour and half or so over there, and I ended up spending $52 on the Stardust Visual Compendium, a Stargazer guide (yes I'm an astronomy nerd), the 4th volume of Absolute Boyfriend, and a romance novel called Hot Ice. The last one we got because our band was gonna be named that and it seemed to be fate. Maybe we'll actually start it up again XD Oh god I'm rambling.

In short, I am a bookstore nerd :P

PixelBabii
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 AM

If I'm in a bookstore I will
probably read the first few pages
of a book just to see if it's worth
buying. But I will never read a whole
book in a book store. I like to read
while I am alone and if the book is really
good I don't mind buying it.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 AM

I'm the type of person that rarely buys fiction books. So if I ever do decide to buy a book, I'd usually have already read it previously.

I'm lucky that my local library has a good range of books and manga. :D

Dearest
Master of Cupcakes

Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 PM

We don't have any of those "feel free to sit here and read" book stores here in Norway so I buy most of my books...

Sometimes I get them from the library, but I don't read as much as I used to, so I have trouble finishing them before they have to be given back... I seem to forget I am reading things O_O

I went to some book stores in London over summer tho, and they had Starbucks in them ^^
I was so happy, I could combine my two passions; Hot Chocolate and The Written Word...
It was love <3

soyasha
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to soyasha Send a message via Yahoo to soyasha

Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 PM

i do the same but if i really like it then i will buy it so i can read it again! I love borders its so awesome! but theres this one book i can never find its called touching sprit bear if u knoe of it or find it let me know!

aonith
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-06-2007, 02:55 PM

I usuall read only magazines in stores and books I try to buy... If it's not any artbook that you kan quickly look through.

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-06-2007, 10:20 PM

i'll read a large print book.
but an actual novel, i will buy

pillow_maiden
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to pillow_maiden

Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 PM

i cant read at home, it's to noisey, so i just like to sit and lounge at the book store till closing time when they kick me out. one time i actly fell asleep at the book store, then my mother came and woke me up 5 mins befor closing time.

Wake Up Call

Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 PM

It depends for me, usually when i'm reading manga or looking at art books I like to sneak a chair in Borders and read there. The borders in the mall is the easiest one to grab a seat at, just because I use foot stools and kiddy tables for chairs.

xD

As for longer books and series, I generally like to take the book home and coup myself up in my bedroom with some Hot Chocolate. Though when I get into a book, I tend to spend a whole day just reading.

I'm a bookie.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 PM

I do both, sit and read at the store and buy books too! It just depends on how much time I've got!

Akiou
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-07-2007, 01:04 AM

I personally hate it when people sit in the bookstore and read the books... ^^; Especially mangas. People who do that are so rude. They bend up the covers, tear pages... it's not their book to do that and they get away with ruining merchandise. >:[

If I want to find if a manga or book is good, I'll read maybe the first few pages, than put it down if I don't like it or buy it if I do. And I am always super careful about it. Not read through the whole thing. x__x

Taviren
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-07-2007, 01:17 AM

I prefer to buy the book. I feel extremely uncomfortable reading in a bookstore; like someone is going to come over at any moment and yell at me for it. Besides, if I like a book, then I want to own a copy of it. I have a huge book collection and keep them in as nice a shape as possible. I will even buy doubles of certain books if I find a hard copy or first edition at a used shop or garage sale for a decent price.

It's just nice to have something you can pick up and read at any time rather than having to go elsewhere to read it.

Morbid Searaphim
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-07-2007, 06:24 AM

the people at borders hate me, but they love my sister. I don't have a problem with spending hours in a corner on an obscure little stool reading. while my sister wants to get in, get out, and not have to come back until she finishes the 30+ books that she bought.

Soulist
Master of Malpractice
Send a message via AIM to Soulist Send a message via MSN to Soulist Send a message via Yahoo to Soulist

Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 PM

I try to buy what I can, if I came out to get it, since the only place that has a 'uge Barnese & Noble is an hour away, but otherwise, I stand around reading and such... Since I go through manga really quick.

Lithle
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-07-2007, 07:20 PM

As an employee of one of those big bookstores that you're talking about, we don't much mind you reading our books, as long as you don't block up the aisles.

It's when you DON'T PUT THEM BACK that we get angry. Every time I go to the manga section there are piles all over the floor from people who don't have the simple respect to put their books back where they found them. Or they put them back on the shelf but on top of the other books, instead of vertically, as they should. How hard is it to turn your wrist 90 degrees?

I love manga, but I've come to hate people who read manga. Other than the kids section it is the one most often left trashed, and by people I consider my peers. Come on geeks, show a little respect.

Furious
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-07-2007, 08:21 PM

I don't actually read the books in the bookstore, but I do read the backs of them. If it sounds like a good book, I get it. I tend to get a lot of books that way, actually. Sometimes I wish I would read a few of the pages, because I've been rather disappointed by a book or two :/ But most of the time, I wind up luffing the book <3

Poi
The Poison Girl
Send a message via MSN to Poi

Old 11-07-2007, 10:14 PM

Me and my friends always go to B&N to read books, it's like our little hang out. One of my friends and I both read manga, but she really needs to start putting her books away. >>; I know I'm not very innocent either since sometimes I don't put them back properly (aka, me being a lazy mofo), but she just tends to leave them on the ground. XD;

If it's just me then I totally prefer Borders, since it's my favorite bookstore to be quite honest. They have a way better selection. :\ The one in our town just moved to the mall, which I think kinda sucks, but I still go there whenever possible. :D