but most of the time i'll be in
a hurry, so i'll look through the
sections until i find an interesting
enough book and just go ahead and buy it =]

Masaki
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Masaki

Old 11-18-2007, 02:00 AM

I usually borrow them from the library. But if I go to Borders or Barnes and Nobles, then I sit down and read the mangas. Once I get a job, which should be in a few weeks cause it's my 14th birthday thursday, then I'm going to start buying my favorites so I can read them again and again.

I already have 5 mangas of my own, four of them my grandparents bought for me and the other one I got today at Borders, it was my birthday gift from my sister's dad.

Blacksheep poet
\ (•◡•) /
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Blacksheep poet

Old 11-18-2007, 08:46 PM

Sometimes I'll be in the store and read the manga but then there are other times when my mom wants to just leave the store and then there are times when I want to keep the book for art reference....

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 AM

If there's a particular book that I know is awesome or have read it before and want to reread, I will buy it. I generally borrow books from the library or my friends first for I am cheap. xD Sometimes I'll sit in the bookstore and read it. However, I seldom do that for long novels. I'll usually do that for manga, short stories, short novels, and whatnot.

kumi
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-23-2007, 03:41 PM

i love getting caught up in a book so sometimes ill just be scanning to see if its a good one and read most of it in the store if i have the time but generally i like to buy them and read them at home whenever and share with friends

Garnet Phoenix
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-23-2007, 10:14 PM

I'll admit that I got to bookstores to read only. I'm broke and libraries probably have books that you've already read (If the library isn't that big...), so I like to go there and read the books that they have there. I mostly read the manga there, and on rare occasions romance novels. I mostly go to Barnes and Nobles since they have warm chocolate chip cookies and the best hot chocolate... I can't get enough of Starbucks, lol. xD

sarahjanexcore
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to sarahjanexcore

Old 11-30-2007, 02:03 AM

I prefer to read in the store just because I tend to read books in one sitting. Although I do buy books a lot, I tend to be dissatisfied after finishing a book the night I buy it. I'm basically wasting 20 dollars on a book when I could have borrowed it from the library or read it in Barnes & Noble. When I have a series of books I like to buy them all so that when reading, I can make references to previous books. Even though I hate re-watching movies, most books I've read are a different story. I love re-reading books to find hidden messages and clues I wouldn't have noticed before.

Runihura
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Runihura

Old 11-30-2007, 01:58 PM

As long as you can get one of the big comfy chairs, or find a nice shelf to sit against, I choose at the bookstore. They have unlimite coffee and food, as long as you have the money. And extensive collections!! Only every now and then I'll sit and read a while then choose to take it home.
On those cases I have my Borders Rewards cards and always print out a coupon.

Sirocco
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 PM

I see that my opinion is a little bit different from most of yours xd

Ohh, I don't like when people read all books in the bookstores. There are libraries to do that; they don't have to ruins books which someone else want to buy.
I mean... You could feel it when you go to the bookstore and finally found the book you want to buy but... it's last copy which a lot of people read in the bookstore. It looks awful with bended up covers and teared pages. I wouldn't buy that book.
I know that not all poeple made books looking like that, but it still isn't good for them.
There's nothing wrong with reading the first few pages of book to see if it's interesting or worth buying. I sometimes do that and if I like it I'll probabily buy it or put it down, if I don't. But not read all x___x

Damage Control
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-02-2007, 03:22 AM

I'd rather sit there and read, but my mother's usually very "Hurry up, grab the book, and leave!"

So I end up buying them. I used to go to the library all the time and just put in requests for them to buy new books if they didn't have it in the system - I read a lot of new books that way. XD
But I don't have a library card for this new one, so I haven't been reading very often.

Bane Rieko

Old 12-02-2007, 04:49 AM

I do a bit of both. If it's short, I have a lot of time, or if it doesn't look like I might buy it.

Smellerbee
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-02-2007, 08:00 AM

Edit.

Last edited by Smellerbee; 10-30-2010 at 06:05 AM..

TheSatah
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to TheSatah Send a message via MSN to TheSatah

Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 PM

I almost never buy books, aha. A lot of times, if I see a book I think I'll enjoy, I look for it at the library. I only buy a book if I think I'll read it again and again-- or if it's really cheap, like at thrift/used book store.

LarissaFae
Send a message via AIM to LarissaFae

Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 AM

I'll sit and read chess books in the store, because I don't want to buy them; I only want a little information from them at a time. I actually don't really buy books; I buy ImagineFX and Corel Painter, and there are a few manga that I keep up with . . . but not really books, unless it's by an author I'm already reading.

I'll immediately snatch up anything by Terry Pratchett, and the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. I remember I got into them at the same time, so I'd buy a Discworld novel and laugh my way through it, then I'd buy an Honor Harrington novel and it would be dreadfully serious, then I'd buy the next Discworld novel . . . it worked that way.

I don't mind people reading and not buying, unless it's the type of person who will bend the book all sorts of out of whack; THEN I get irritated. I don't even work in a bookstore anymore, and it irritates me.

So, what was my answer? . . . If I don't have the money, or don't need the whole book, I'll read it in the store. Anything else I buy, because I never knew when I'll wake up in the middle of the night and just HAVE to know the exact lines in Field of Dishonor, when she was dueling . . . that one dude . . . yeah.

[[.sheryl.]]
Dead Account Holder

Old 12-07-2007, 09:07 AM

I normally go sitting and reading in the bookstore, but most of the time I have to leave before I finish it and end up buying the book. XD

I visit the library more often than the bookshop. :3

Shaney
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via Yahoo to Shaney

Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Well, I usually feel awkward reading inside a bookstore, so I usually buy the book. Plus, I really won't even be interested in a book if I know it's not worth reading and buying, so I believe it's just the proper way.

vmars
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 PM

Normally I pick up books that look interesting in the story and begin reading it. If it keeps my attention and I want to keep reading it, then I buy it. Otherwise I put it back on the self. I have tons of books that I have read to about the third chapter in the store, but have had no time to read. They are all so interesting though! I do love reading in the stores, like Borders and Barns and Noble, they just have a good atmosphere.

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 12-07-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0th
When I go to Barnes and Noble I stand in the aisles while I read a bit of a book to see if I'll like it and if I think I will I just rent it at the library :)
I do the same thing at both the bookstore and the library. Though, if I'm in the bookstore and I have the money with me, I will buy it.

Amiiu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 PM

I NEVER buy ^^
For manga or manwha, I download it from the internet. But if it's a novel, I borrow from the library, sometimes I read manga or manwha in the bookstore

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-08-2007, 11:52 AM

I always buy my books, or rent them from the library, or get them through an online book exchange I belong to. When I buy the book, I know I'm supporting the author, and even if I just exchange one book for another, I know that at least someone bought it. I only rent books from the library if it's a series that has too many books, or would cost too much in the end, or that I didn't want to risk wasting my money on because I didn't know if I'd like the series or not.(And I HAVE bought books I've rented before. It may sound silly, but sometimes, I feel the need to actually own a series versus simply renting it.)
I refuse to read a book in the bookstore, and I'm not fond of people who do. First of all, no one gets money this way. Even if it's a rental from the library, at least that means that the library paid for the book. Second, half the time, no one puts the book back in the right place on the shelf. When I'm in a hurry, and know exactly what I want, this makes it incredibly difficult at times to achieve what I want to do. I sometimes end up searching for twenty minutes or more, just because some jerk decided to be lazy, and not return the book to its proper location. Another reason I hate the concept is because people who read books at the store tend to block the particular book section I'm looking at. And even when they know damn well that someone's trying to look at books, they refuse to move. Just because they're reading a book, they don't think that anyone else has a right to browse. Then there's the people who take stacks of books to read with them to the coffee shop, and don't buy one. They're technically loitering, and then when they're done with the books, they never buy them. Just leave them around somewhere for an employee to find and reshelf it. :(
Then, on occasion, these same people block the whole aisle WHILE they're looking for books to mooch.
I apologize if I offended anyone who does this, but it's honestly how I feel about this kind of thing. Rude people like that have ruined the concept for me.
I also don't like people who read manga online, if it's a licensed series. There's a real book out there to buy, people! And if you'd dare spend a measly ten dollars on it, someone would actually make money, and a series wouldn't be dropped!
This is what probably happened to series like Aria, Guardian Angel Getten, GateKeepers, and Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok. No one bought them because they probably had read them online already. Thus, they weren't selling well enough, and the rights to the series were dropped. And people who wish to SUPPORT the artists could no longer do so.

Berginyon
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Berginyon Send a message via MSN to Berginyon

Old 12-08-2007, 08:52 PM

Block the section you're looking at? Correct me if I'm wrong, but lots of bookstores have sitting areas for people who want to read in the store.

As for me, I am sometimes inclined to do a little in store reading. If I like what I've found, chances are I'll probably buy it. If not, well... saves me the money.

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 AM

To my knowledge, the Borders I go to still does have places to read scattered throughout the store.(I haven't checked in awhile.) However, no one uses these seats that are provided for this sole purpose. :(. They just stand there, and block the aisles. There's even a cafe where they can take their book and read it, but they never do. I guess I wouldn't have so many issues with it if they'd take it to one of the provided locations, and read it there, but they don't. :(.

teh caustic
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 AM

I look at the books for a bit and flip through to read a little. I've never sat down to read a lot of a book though, if I'm interested enough then I'd rather buy it. xD I do like the cafe areas though.

Meilanu
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Meilanu Send a message via MSN to Meilanu

Old 01-13-2008, 01:29 AM

I do both xD If I absolutely enjoyed reading the book while at my stay at Borders (or whatever bookstore I'm at), and I have to go, then I will definitely buy it to continue reading it at home.

That's the same case for manga as well. If I know the series and I know I'll enjoy it, I'll buy it. I also use manga as a reference to art, so it's a plus that I buy it and keep it at home. I like expanding my collection of books/manga and also enjoy rereading books, so it's definitely not a harm.

Many people say that buying books is futile seeing as you're only going to read it once. That is definitely not the case for me xD

Amiiu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-13-2008, 04:05 AM

I read. Although I rarely come to book stores anyway, if it's a novel and it catches my interest, I'd probably go to the library sometime later to just borrow it. As for manga, my mom would kill me anyway if I bought it [my parent's hate my reading manga or watching anime].