disturbed66
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via ICQ to disturbed66 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed66

Old 11-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Just kinda woundering what really started to get people hooked to books.
My first ever book series, i ever finished was the Box cart children.
Years afterwards i always just wonted to run away and go live in a box cart.. But we dont live by any type of trains.. so i dident.
So yea what was yours? Did it inspire you to read even more? or less?

StarryStarryNight
*^_^*

Old 11-23-2007, 04:59 PM

I remember that series, it was a cute one... I read the first couple books.

My first series were Animorphs and Nancy Drew. I remember spending many a rainy day on my grand parents farm reading them lying upside down in my grand fathers favourite chair.

nayru_moon
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-23-2007, 05:11 PM

i dont really read series but i did a while back but i dont remember what it was called, also i read another one but i also dont remember what it was called. argh!!!!>.<

Wynna
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-23-2007, 05:41 PM

The Box Cart Kids, I subscribed to their book club, and every month I got a new book, and then I got like a book storage thingy that was shaped like a train box cart.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 11-23-2007, 06:18 PM

My first series was "The Mennyms" by Sylvia Waugh. I love it so much that I still read the books!
Sylvia Waugh writes alot of great stories! :D

disturbed66
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via ICQ to disturbed66 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed66

Old 11-23-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynna
The Box Cart Kids, I subscribed to their book club, and every month I got a new book, and then I got like a book storage thingy that was shaped like a train box cart.
Wow i dident know there was a book club.. >,< aw darns.

nayru_moon--Lols guess the book dident leave too much of an inpreshion. ^ ^

StarryStarryNight--I've always seen the animorphs books but never picked one up. Are they good?

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 11-24-2007, 07:20 AM

I read so much as a kid I can't remember what came first. But I read a lot of Nancy Drew, The Box Car Children, Goosebumps, The Babysitters Club, and the Magic Tree House series.

8) I have an urge to read The Babysitters Club now...

clock
tick tock

Old 11-24-2007, 08:13 AM

Haha, I read a few boxcart books too.

What really got me into novels, I think, was A
Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.

Aliesier
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-24-2007, 01:43 PM

I think my first book series was either Nancy Drew or Animorphs.

Thunder
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-24-2007, 06:01 PM

The furthest back I can remember was Heartland and Goosebumps. I used to read them all the time.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 11-26-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair Voyant
My first series was "The Mennyms" by Sylvia Waugh. I love it so much that I still read the books!
Sylvia Waugh writes alot of great stories! :D
I Love that book! It's seriously a series? I had no idea. I'm definitely checking it out.

My first series was the box car children too. Funny thing though, I never did get to read the first one.
Ah first grade. I remember having so much trouble with the word 'grandpa' lol. It was my first 'chapter book'. I can't remember what it was called... something about a castle.

Titenya
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 PM

The Lord of The Rings...

My dad started reading it to me, and I saw the old Ranklin Bass cartoons when I was young. The Hobbit was one of the first books I read when I was learning to read. I didn't really understand alot of it then, but i was 6 when my dad started me trying to read it on my own.

Now that the movies are out, all the people who made fun of me like hey, that is a cool series...

Penny
*^_^*

Old 11-27-2007, 09:57 PM

Yeah! lol. They thought I was so weird in fifth grade. Lugging my gigantic red limited edition Lord of the Rings book around. ^^

Titenya
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 PM

[i]and when the movie came out, every one loved lord of the rings, but you were still a weirdo for carrying the book around... that's how it was in my highschool...[/i]

orange
most awesome person you'll ever ...
Send a message via MSN to orange

Old 12-03-2007, 10:19 PM

The Magic Tree House series, Goosebumps, The Unicorns of Balinor, and The Black Stallion Series

Mousey
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Mousey Send a message via MSN to Mousey

Old 12-04-2007, 12:30 AM

The Boxcar Children was my first, and I loved that series something fierce!! <3

I also read Baby-sitter's Club (my sister had them all from when she was my age at the time), and Goosebumps later on. I read some Nancy Drew, but I found myself loving some volumes while hating others. XD

LarissaFae
Send a message via AIM to LarissaFae

Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 AM

My first series was the Dragonriders of Pern series, by Anne McCaffrey. I read it in the fourth grade, and I can still remember the first line on Dragonflight: Lessa woke, cold.

And now it's almost twenty years later and I pick something up by Anne McCaffrey and go "Who the heck published THIS? Women's lib, much, anyody?" Makes me cringe.

After that, I believe it was . . . Star Wars. Yup. Then Mercedes Lackey, with her Valdemar series, and the SERRAted Edge novels, and the Eric Banyon novels. Can't stand reading any of her recent stuff. The Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton just blew me away, until it went all to smut. Her Meredith Gentry series not only started smut, but made me realise that probably every main female character she writes about will be small and good with guns. Not much variation, there.

David Weber's Honor Harrington series is awesome, if you overlook the fact that it took him 10 or so books to say "because" instead of "for." Oooh, got irritating.

And, of course, anything by Terry Pratchett is simply love, awesome, win, and amazing.

Shaney
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via Yahoo to Shaney

Old 12-06-2007, 01:51 AM

It was the Harry Potter series. I got addicted to that one, to be honest.

I'm quite relieved the series is finished already though. After all the years of waiting.

Harry's bravery was one thing that inspired me, but the love his mother had for him was even more inspiring than all others. I guess it did bring my love for reading.

Rainstar
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 PM

First series I started on my own?

Redwall... when I was 5.

I think my mom started reading Harry Potter to me when I was about the same age... but that was my bedtime story. Redwall was my pleasure reading, I guess. :)

Akstar
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-07-2007, 03:18 AM

I don't think its the first series of books I've read but it's the only one that I can recall far back enough to say it was an early series I read as an elementary kid, The Tree House books.

Kaerou
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-10-2007, 06:04 AM

Goosebumps,The Magic Treehouse, and the Wayside School series.I remember many a day when kids would fight over who got to read the next book first.There were also a few more classics from around that time that I read, just can't remember them now.

Indy Lyon
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 PM

i can't remember what my first series was but i am a serious book lover and read a lot but i don't think i really paid attention to following series till i was about nine and read Jean M. Aual's Earth Children series starting with Clan of the Cave Bear which was really good if a little heart-breaking continueing through to finish all five books. :lol: i like reading series but now i rather like novels that link rather than actual series.

[L]ove[H]ate
(◎_◎;)
Banned

Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 PM

The "Ramona" series by Beverly Cleary (check on last name, I don't think it's spelled right).

Alaunt
Cute Things Kill People

Old 12-11-2007, 06:36 PM

I first read the Thoroughbred series followed by the Harry Potter series.

Later I have read His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman and The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper.

Berginyon
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Berginyon Send a message via MSN to Berginyon

Old 12-11-2007, 08:37 PM

I guess my first PIVOTAL book series would be the Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. I've always been big on fantasy, ever since MY dad read the Hobbit to my brother and I every night before bedtime when we were little (right, Phedre? lol)

But man, can Salvatore ever do action. You read his books and it's like you're watching a big budget film on it's opening day. Not only that but the stark contrast of his protagonist, Drizzt Do'Urden to the evil that surrounds and attempts to engulf him. It's awesome!

Anyways. Soon after that I started getting into Robert Jordan. I swear, I'll be in my sixties before I finish THAT series...