Rawkness
Meccha leccha hi, meccha hiney h...
Send a message via AIM to Rawkness Send a message via Yahoo to Rawkness

Old 12-23-2007, 11:49 PM

If I read the description and I like it, or if I already wanted it, I'll usually buy it. I don't go to the bookstore often — usually on special occasions, like Christmas, because I get a bunch of giftcards — and I only buy three to five books on a trip, depending on their prices, so I have to prioritize. :

Prince Butthead
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-24-2007, 04:56 AM

Truthfully, when I pick a book, I actually choose by the cover because I mean I would rather choose a book that has nice artwork and an interesting front cover opposed to a plain brown covered book. I usually read the back and see if I am interested in reading the book in the first place and I might skim at the beginning of the book too.

MistaGoodLeg
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-24-2007, 06:03 AM

man its wat eva in fron tof me magazines comics anythin i can read ill just read it man

Clavietika Tres Ojos
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-24-2007, 08:01 AM

If the book sounds interesting to me I'll check it out. Sometimes friends will recommend books to me that they've loved and I'll give them a try as well.
I sometimes pay attention to the cover but not usually. I've read several amazing books that have had really bad covers.

Kimiku
Dead Account Holder

Old 12-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Before I came across a great thing know as the "Internet", I usually selected a book based on the back blurb. Needless to say, I was left disappointed more often than not.

Luckily, now I have the Internet, and Amazon in my bookmark list. I save so much money, and no longer have to suffer disappointment in stories that don't fit into what I like to think as my "ideal press".

Really, it's so much easier to tell which book will flop, and which will hold my interest throughout. The only thing I really must deal with, that will make me unhappy, are spoilers.

They seem to run rampant online, and it's extremely annoying. But that just comes with the nature of being caught in a web of anonymous users.

I've been lucky recently while selecting novels. To come across vivid, but insightful reviews leaves a big smile on my face. Sometimes I pass up the reviews all together, and just read the excerpt that more of the popular books seem to have. But mostly I use caution on certain books that I have a feeling I will not want any more detail than what the small summary in the back details.

My favorite genre usually falls into any category where fiction is involved. I find most non-fiction titles boring unless it's dealing with certain subjects. And they are very few indeed.

I read purely for enjoyment unless I'm instructed to do so for school, in which case I grin and bear it. For the betterment of my mind of course.

But yeah, reading is a pleasure for me, so I try to buy books that don't take themselves too seriously so I can just let my mind relax. Allowing the book to take me to another setting entirely.

girl_4327
Dead Account Holder

Old 12-24-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavietika Tres Ojos
If the book sounds interesting to me I'll check it out. Sometimes friends will recommend books to me that they've loved and I'll give them a try as well...
Same here as well..

Earth_Dragon_Thoth
*^_^*

Old 12-24-2007, 03:54 PM

If it has an interesting title and catches my interest.

Liz
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz

Old 12-24-2007, 04:48 PM

I really don't know!! When I am bored or sad I just read any book!! ^^

Raining Skittles
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 PM

I usually read books I'm forced to read [school books, and such], whether I like it or not, sometimes I like it, and I'll go look for another book by the author occasionally; I usually don't though ^^;

I also get books that people say are good, or ones that are being made into movies. My friends sometimes recommend books to me too.

Sometimes I find ones that I think I'd like just by the cover. I remember around three years ago, I saw this girl in my girl scouts group reading the fourth 'Warriors' book in the series, about warrior cats. I had her tell me what it was, and when I got back home (we were in San Fransisco), I went to Canada on vacation, and I spent most of the time there looking for the books. I found 2, 3, and 4, and I was so happy, I read them even though I didn't have the first one (which I usually go against very much xD).

Luumi
*^_^*

Old 12-27-2007, 08:50 PM

I know you're not suppossed to judge a book by its cover, but covers are what attracts me to books. They let me know a bit about the book, like if it's going to be epic or tragic. Fantasy or realistic. Heroic or humorous.
A lot of the books I read, though, my friends tell me to. We all have the same taste in books, so if someone suggests one then everyone else in our group reads it as well. :3

Nissa
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-27-2007, 10:36 PM

A good review is usually what I look for. If it's a romance novel the cover art will make me take a look at it initially, but I buy based on what's written on the back cover.

EbilKitty
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-27-2007, 10:53 PM

Hype will generally get me to read anything, even if it's not a genre I usually read :lol: Like The DaVinci Code, it was all the craziness around it that made me want to read it. And I'm glad I did, it's now my favorite book and I also read and enjoyed all the other books by Dan Brown.

Good reviews might do the trick, though I'm not really paying that much attention to reviews anymore after reading some "fantastic" books that turned out to be horrible. IMO anyway :P

Covers. If I'm all out of "good" books to read I might pick up some random chick-lit at the grocery store, and I'm strangely attracted to pretty covers :lol: Although that doesn't really turn out so well either... I've come across some bad ones that way too.

My Cup Of Chai
(^._.^)ノ
Banned
Send a message via AIM to My Cup Of Chai Send a message via MSN to My Cup Of Chai

Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 PM

In order for me to read a book it has to be in the fantasy genre and be well written. I'm a bit of an elitist when it comes to books. : S

yorikobii
*^_^*

Old 12-28-2007, 05:52 AM

I usually read books based on their titles- if a book has a catchy or mysterious title, I'd want to read it more...
It's also the cover art, books with bad cover art or no cover art at all doesn't make me want to read them.
I guess the back is always important as well, but what makes me take a book off a shelf is their title or how nice they look. So I guess I judge a book by their cover more than anything ^^"

Parinia
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Parinia

Old 12-29-2007, 01:27 AM

I usually read books based on who has written it, what it is about, if I need to know something or get a reminder of what something means or is all about, or if it's something I haven't read in a long time.

I love to learn and get reminded on things I've forgotten about. I love stuff like Alice In Wonderland, The Night Inside, and A Wrinkle In Time.

I can get easily bored by some things but that (usually) won't stop me from reading them at least once. :lol:

I love Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe's works.
An interesting or pretty cover doesn't hurt either.

The last book I read was Wicked and I was very disappointed in it because of all the politics and stuff thrown in. Ouch, my childhood.
I do like the idea of the wicked witch and Glinda having been friends once, though.
I usually hate it when books use too many strange made up words.
Oh, and I read the dictionary - (well...online dictionary) - almost daily for fun.

I grew up reading comic books and regular reading material. I have alot of books but most of the older ones are sitting around in boxes because I'm too lazy/busy to go through things and fish them out.
I think there's only four books in my collection that I haven't read....yet.

Sierpe
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Sierpe

Old 12-30-2007, 05:21 PM

I'm more visually inclined so I look at the cover then read the back.
I'll read alot of different genres just not anything forced on me by teachers.
It take away from the book if I'm being told what to think about it.

davyjoneslover
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-02-2008, 01:50 AM

I'm more inclined to read a book if I like the author, or if my friends reccomend it; I'll read mostly fantasy genres or anything thats BIG.

Zefu
Dead Account Holder

Old 01-02-2008, 03:09 PM

If I like the author is one reason. If the description sounds interesting is another. The final reason is if a friend recommends it or is reading it.

Fiery Griffin
Dead Account Holder

Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM

Basically if the book has a lot of description or a really good action plot I'll read it. But lately I've been finding myself reading books about animals interactions with humans and I find them to be really interesting.

D-Yoop
*^_^*

Old 01-08-2008, 09:44 PM

Hey Rainbow! :3

usually a book catches my attention, I then look at the back of it, buy it or leave it. Most of the times Im looking for a specific book though.

It often occurs that someone recommends me a book. Not so long ago a friend from Australia sent me a packet with 2 cds and a real good book inside! Other times its my mom that buys books. I read Dan Browns' Da Vinci Code because she bought it, same for his book The Bernini Mystery. Both were 2 books that sucked me in, especially Bernini Mystery.

I love books that contain a bit of fantasy or something mysterious that has a bit of a magical feeling to it, though usually I read informative books. I like books that change your view on people or situations, mostly about yourself actually. The psychological view on things. Although I dont like formal books.

I never read any detective books although i think I would love them. I enjoy reading but Im not much of a hobby reader, usually books just come to me xP

heartpoint
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-08-2008, 11:28 PM

Because i love them. It's hard for me not to read.

Chibiruler1990
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 AM

lol I'm so picky when it comes to books! If I'm looking for a new book to read i haven't heard of yet. . . It first has to have a real grabbing title. Then if it does it has to have a appealing cover to the book. . . .If it manages to have both of those qualities i will read the back to see what it is about. . . And from there if i think the plot is to weak for me to read or it doesn't give out enough information about the book i just put it away. . . i LOVE to read but i its hard for me to find a REAL good book ^-^

Enniel
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM

hmm...
If I see a movie and like it then I will read the book...
If a friend recommends me a book, I'll read it
If there is a big hype about a particular book, I'll read it...
If I'm just searching...usually a nice cover will draw me in..make me read the back..if it sounds good, I'll read it.

Diktionary
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-14-2008, 01:37 AM

• A lot of things. Mostly the cover. A lot of the times because of the person who wrote it. I hardly ever read the back. I guess it also depends on how lazy I am the day I go get a book.

-Diktionary

dianakitsune
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to dianakitsune

Old 02-14-2008, 02:35 AM

if it's required by school XD
usually if the summary on the back sounds good then I'll read it, my family doesn't have a library, but I plan on having one in the future since I like reading ^^