Amo_Angelus
(・・^...
Send a message via MSN to Amo_Angelus

Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 AM

Have you ever listened to a song and not quite fully appreciated it until you hear the story about it?

I have always loved Meatloaf, but that I will do anything for love, song has always thrown me. I never fully appreciated it because I didn't understand it. So my boyfriend decided to let me in on the back story to it. She had asked him to kill her and although he would do anything for her, he wouldn't do that. So it's just come on again...What a wonderful song! A whole new appreciation for it!

Share you're under appreciated songs.

Fullmetal Phantom
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Fullmetal Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to Fullmetal Phantom

Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM

Lets see...foreign language music can EASILY be like that. You can kinda like it...and you can sorta get it with a translation. But when you actually UNDERSTAND it, and aren't relying on someone else's translation to work it out...it often has a much deeper meaning that you can appreciate even more than ever.

Take my FAVORITE song, Rain...actually, it's been my favorite song since I first heard it. But with every step I take that lets me understand it better...I love it even more.

If you don't know a word of Japanese (which is where I was just BARELY past when I first heard it), the song somehow manages to just drag you in with this powerful, eerily relaxing melody. At that point...it's pretty good.

When you read a translation such as the one above..."whoa." That's pretty much what I said when I read that.

As I got better with understanding the language...lets just say it's been a LONG time since I looked at it the same way as I did when I first heard it. Before, I heard a sad, yet relaxing song...now, I hear this amazingly powerful, sad piece that is, at the same time, eerily relaxing and absolutely chilling. I can't listen to it - SERIOUSLY listen to it - without crying.

And the next time I see the lyrics as they were originally written, kanji and all? I get a feeling I'm somehow going to be able to appreciate it even more. Which, at this point, almost seems impossible.

Muggles Running Amok
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Muggles Running Amok Send a message via MSN to Muggles Running Amok

Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM

Omg, yes. What Sarah Said by Death Cab for Cutie has always been one of the tracks on Plans that I just kind of understand, but it was never one of my favorites. I loved the piano in it and I always adore Ben Gibbard's vocals, but I never really appreciated it until I read the story behind the main lyrics. (Love is watching someone die) until I read that Ben got that from his best friend, who was out walking with her husband and started crying because she realized that one of them was going to have to watch the other die. and I was going through a kind of rough patch with my boyfriend of 2 years at the time when I finally appreciated the song. So one night when I was listening to it I just burst out crying and I couldn't stop. It's so inspirational and beautiful. It's one of my favorite songs by Death Cab now.

ForkoFried
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM

well almost all of the bands i listen to has the majority of their songs like that.
All the idiots who listen to mainstream radio and mtv think that a song is only about what it bluntly says.
So when they see a song called "faggot" they immediately think it is homophobic and everyone who listens to that song is pure evil, never taking the time to think for a second and actually realize that the song is actually about being called that name, and that those who call someone that are themselves the ones deserving such a vulgar name.
Everyone thinks that the music i listen to is depressing and evil, but that's just their own ignorance. xD

TheSatah
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to TheSatah Send a message via MSN to TheSatah

Old 01-25-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkoFried
... a song called "faggot"...
MSI, by any chance?

I feel this way about a lot of Beatles songs, actually. P: I can't really name any off of the top of my head, but I definitely found myself able to connect to them in a deeper way after I found out what the writer originally had in mind when they created it.

ForkoFried
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 AM

actually there are plenty of bands with a song of that subject, only three off the top of my head though, lol.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggles Running Amok

Omg, yes. What Sarah Said by Death Cab for Cutie has always been one of the tracks on Plans that I just kind of understand, but it was never one of my favorites. I loved the piano in it and I always adore Ben Gibbard's vocals, but I never really appreciated it until I read the story behind the main lyrics. (Love is watching someone die) until I read that Ben got that from his best friend, who was out walking with her husband and started crying because she realized that one of them was going to have to watch the other die.
That's beautiful. I heard generally what it was saying, but I'd never heard the story.
I love that song to death. And I love it even more now. I've had that moment with my best friend... in a weird way... long, sweet story.

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 AM

I never appreciated Pink Floyd's "Hey You" until earlier this week, when I realized how I could use it.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 AM

How's that?

Or... do I want to know? ^^
Maybe I should look up the song first.

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Turned it into Heiyuu, and plugged a chunk into my sig.

Penny
*^_^*

Old 01-25-2008, 10:34 AM

OoooOOOoooh.

That should have been obvious. I need to pay more attention. Or just get some sleep.

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-25-2008, 10:35 AM

Know what you mean. It's 4-something AM, and I haven't slept a wink.

Worse, I know if I go to bed now, I will not wake up on time, so I hafta stay up.

TheSatah
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to TheSatah Send a message via MSN to TheSatah

Old 01-25-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiyuu
I never appreciated Pink Floyd's "Hey You" until earlier this week, when I realized how I could use it.
WOT?! How could you not appreciate that song?! ;_; It's BEAUTIFUL! *Spazzzz*

Ahh, my rabid fan side is showing. :C

FrostsHellion
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to FrostsHellion

Old 01-28-2008, 07:46 PM

I recently had an epiphany like this... it came to me listening to halls of illusion by ICP, i always just listened to the beats and watched the video and focused on the violence and anger in the music but then i listened to the words that WERENT about killing someone. It turns out that whole song was about how much better everyones life would have been if this person hadnt been around and that was the reason that he had to die. So on a whim i picked up a couple albums (if nothing else they have great beats, especially with the carnival music cut in) and it turns out theres an entire underlying theme of equality, acceptance and comradery in their songs once you look past the wicked violence. Dont believe me, think i'm crazy? look up lyrics for "juggalo homies" "we belong" "walk into the light" and "Thy unveiling" They actually come very close to being upbeat at some points.