Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-29-2019, 04:52 PM

Today's topic may be a little more niche but I'm wondering if any users out there have any advice regarding whether or not to attend grad school?
I suppose I should be a little more specific. I studied theater in undergrad. Loved it, but finding it hard to translate those skills into a more 9-5 job, and wishing I'd studied something like English instead, since that more directly correlates to jobs I'm interested in (editing, for one).
Grad school would be great because it would give me more specific skills, but it would also mean living at home even longer (which I am loathe to do because the environment can be pretty toxic) and possible debt (I managed to pay off my undergraduate debt, thankfully). It also took me a very long time to complete my Bachelor's degree due to depression, and the thought of more school, even if it's something I'm interested in, is...stressful, to say the least.
So I'm very on the fence about it. My mom is really pushing for it, but I don't feel like I should go unless I REALLY want to. Grad school is a privilege and I don't feel good about taking a spot from someone who might have wanted it more, you know?
Anyway, if anyone has any sort of feedback or advice or just wants to share what worked for them, that would be awesome.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 04-30-2019, 12:38 AM

I think Ava The Vampire: would have some good input on this period good luck whatever you decide!

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-30-2019, 12:51 AM

Ooh, I shall have to bother her about it, then. xD
Thanks, hummy. ❤️

Risque
bing chilling

Old 05-12-2019, 03:19 AM

Grad school isn't for everyone. I considered it at some point but since it's taking me almost 10 years just to finish my undergrad, I don't know if I can muster the courage to go for a master's. Maybe after I work for a few years in industry I'll consider it..

Would you be going to grad school for theatre? If so, what do you hope to get out of the experience? Having some expectations might help you decide.

---------- Post added 05-11-2019 at 08:20 PM ----------

Cinderella: Figured it's worth pinging you since this thread is almost 2 weeks old. :)

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 05-12-2019, 12:52 PM

I have my Master's Degree in Music. (and a Bachelor in Music Education). I understand your concerns with your theatre degree. It's not a vague degree. Degrees like yours and mine are VERY specific. So if I ever wanted to go into a different career I'm not sure my music education and music degree would help me land a job in a different field.

I would honestly recommend doing Grad school to anyone who really loves to learn in a school setting. However, I wouldn't recommend it if you are on the fence to be honest. A lot of grad school is more independent than under-grad. My husband told me he would never do grad-school because he just isn't a school person...he has never liked going to school. And the fact that he had to watch ME set my pace and complete assignments without any help (I was still teaching full-time while getting my degree so it's not like I could go with classmates and do homework together after classes)...he was like "Hell no...I'd never put myself through that."

But if you are looking to get into a specific career such as editing and you don't think your theatre degree will help you, it may be worth looking into. I have loans from my Master's that I'm paying off but to me it was worth it. If it helps you land a good job so that you can get out of your toxic environment of home...it may be worth it to do 2 years and take on a couple of loans.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 05-13-2019, 07:08 PM

@Risque: thanks for the ping! I wouldn't be going for theatre, probably for professional writing or maybe marketing? I think it would be a good way to learn more skills so I can get an actual job doing something that I want, but I hate that I feel like I HAVE to go just because having a Bachelor's isn't enough.

@Maria: yeah, I...do not enjoy school settings. And that's a really good point about the work being independent. Thinking about it that way, I really don't see myself being successful, I need structure. I also would be working while going to school and balancing everything seems like it would be a lot. But maybe I'd be motivated since it would help me move out. I just don't know. 😔

Risque
bing chilling

Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 AM

If you do pursue grad school, have you considered moving to an area or going to school somewhere a theatre degree might be more in demand? I know in LA you can at least get your foot in the door if you do PA work.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 07-09-2019, 02:23 PM

I'd love to move, but I'm currently working for a family member so I'm kind of stuck here. :/

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 12-19-2019, 03:45 PM

Update: I am doing the grad school thing. I... don't love it, but I guess it'll be worth it in the end.