zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-02-2013, 09:16 PM

Yeah, I know. >.<

I was just thinking the hobos that set themselves up in my area could get some good pickings. The Chinese people dump their food on the streets for the birds so they should get good pickings of bread, lo mein, fried rice, etc. >.>

LiviInLove
I'm a Buzy Bee!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria-Minamino View Post
Yeah - it's not too long - just need to sit down and get it down D: It was all the readings that took forever!
Yeah, the focusing on writing is always the hard part. The readings are done now, yeah?

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 11-02-2013, 09:17 PM

I mean, I think we would all be frustrated with our situations if we were just stuck out on the streets with no one willing to help us out. Even when you get the people who are nice, like the people who gave the man the pizza in Maria's story, all they're managing to do is help the guy eat for the next day or so. And if he threw it in the trash, what's to say he didn't go back for it later? What they really need is for city programs to protect them better. I'm not saying that they need to pay for everything, but they need to offer work programs that allow them to stay in sheltered places that will give them additional job training, interview tips, washed clothing, etc. They need an opportunity to get out of their situations is all but no one is bothering with that.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 11-02-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
Yeah, I know. >.<

I was just thinking the hobos that set themselves up in my area could get some good pickings. The Chinese people dump their food on the streets for the birds so they should get good pickings of bread, lo mein, fried rice, etc. >.>
OoO - chinese is yumMm! I want chinese

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiviInLove View Post
Yeah, the focusing on writing is always the hard part. The readings are done now, yeah?
Yes! Finally :D Just gonna take a break before writing the second paper and the quiz

LiviInLove
I'm a Buzy Bee!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
OoO - chinese is yumMm! I want chinese

Yes! Finally :D Just gonna take a break before writing the second paper and the quiz
Bet that's a relief. :]

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiki Nova View Post
I mean, I think we would all be frustrated with our situations if we were just stuck out on the streets with no one willing to help us out. Even when you get the people who are nice, like the people who gave the man the pizza in Maria's story, all they're managing to do is help the guy eat for the next day or so. And if he threw it in the trash, what's to say he didn't go back for it later? What they really need is for city programs to protect them better. I'm not saying that they need to pay for everything, but they need to offer work programs that allow them to stay in sheltered places that will give them additional job training, interview tips, washed clothing, etc. They need an opportunity to get out of their situations is all but no one is bothering with that.
That's exactly what they need but there isn't enough housing, enough funding, enough available jobs for that to happen here. V_V

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 11-02-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I LOVE when I find businesses that hire a homeless person. I see a lot of homeless people get jobs twirling signs on the side of the road for different restaurants. Not the best paying job - but they usually get hourly pay and food for their time which is perfect for them.

I think a program to help them find jobs and get on their feet is brilliant.

I know some places offer free hair cuts to homeless people with job interviews...as well as free baths/showers/or washing of their clothes so they look presentable.

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 09:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiviInLove View Post
Bet that's a relief. :]
Most definitely!

mysticeyes2987
Comic Nerd

Old 11-02-2013, 09:22 PM

I AM HERE!!!!

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 11-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticeyes2987 View Post
I AM HERE!!!!
Welcome back roomie!

Seiki Nova

Old 11-02-2013, 09:23 PM

The downside to living on an island with six million people is the lack of resources.

Maria, I don't know if we have any of those kinds of things in Phoenix. Granted, we don't have a significantly large population of homeless people like in other areas, but still.

mysticeyes2987
Comic Nerd

Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 PM

HIII!!!! *noms on Candy* How goes homework?

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
The downside to living on an island with six million people is the lack of resources.

Maria, I don't know if we have any of those kinds of things in Phoenix. Granted, we don't have a significantly large population of homeless people like in other areas, but still.
We don't have tooo many here...but when I lived in Orlando it was a lot worse.

We DO have some here though - I have some students who are homeless apparently. I don't know who - just know we have a certain number.

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote:
HIII!!!! *noms on Candy* How goes homework?
Homework isn't done yet >.<

Still have to write one paper and take a quiz - but I'm taking a break.

We need to figure out what to eat for dinner.

Seiki Nova

Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 PM

See, I don't particularly like children, but when I hear about stories of impoverished children who are homeless or lack many of the basic necessities that we're all accustomed to, it kills me!

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Randeh, Ahahaha! How did you not realize it was a love song?
I have no idea! Now that I've read the lyrics it's SO SO obvious! I think I was just oblivious because when I think "soul sister" I don't think romance XD So when I heard the title of the song I didn't think romance hahahaa! Oh man sometimes I wonder what colour my hair truly is.

mysticeyes2987
Comic Nerd

Old 11-02-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
We don't have tooo many here...but when I lived in Orlando it was a lot worse.

We DO have some here though - I have some students who are homeless apparently. I don't know who - just know we have a certain number.

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 09:25 PM ----------

Homework isn't done yet >.<

Still have to write one paper and take a quiz - but I'm taking a break.

We need to figure out what to eat for dinner.
I know OTL!

What haven't we had in a while?

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
See, I don't particularly like children, but when I hear about stories of impoverished children who are homeless or lack many of the basic necessities that we're all accustomed to, it kills me!
I love my school because they offer free breakfast to all students that come through the door. So the kids can come and have a nice breakfast before school. In addition, we have the free and reduced lunch program. So even if we can't offer them dinner, we have breakfast and lunch for them.

And then my school actually sends home dinners on weekends for the kids who don't have food to eat.

We also partner with a community organization to get the kids Christmas presents - things like bikes and stuff they can ride to school

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 09:28 PM ----------

Quote:
I know OTL!

What haven't we had in a while?
I don't know - what do we actually HAVE

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM

Your school sounds amazing!

Seiki Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by R a n d e h View Post
I have no idea! Now that I've read the lyrics it's SO SO obvious! I think I was just oblivious because when I think "soul sister" I don't think romance XD So when I heard the title of the song I didn't think romance hahahaa! Oh man sometimes I wonder what colour my hair truly is.
Haha! Well, now you know! : )

Quote:
I love my school because they offer free breakfast to all students that come through the door. So the kids can come and have a nice breakfast before school. In addition, we have the free and reduced lunch program. So even if we can't offer them dinner, we have breakfast and lunch for them.

And then my school actually sends home dinners on weekends for the kids who don't have food to eat.

We also partner with a community organization to get the kids Christmas presents - things like bikes and stuff they can ride to school
That's really awesome! I wish more places were like that!

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
Your school sounds amazing!
I really love the community here. They really look out for the students!

mysticeyes2987
Comic Nerd

Old 11-02-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Well, there's a lot of people who use their kids as a means to get benefits from the government. It's sick, but it happens, because people are so lazy and figured that as long as they aren't working, they can get as many benefits as they can.

And they get away with it. It makes me so mad.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 11-02-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Haha! Well, now you know! : )

That's really awesome! I wish more places were like that!
What do you want to do in New York by the way?

I also wish more places were like that! I feel lucky to be here :D

Seiki Nova

Old 11-02-2013, 09:33 PM

I plan on going into publishing and New York has the largest amount of publishing and editorial jobs in the nation so that's where I'm going to try and make it. I'm going to take the year off after school and save up as much money as I can and then sell my car and move to New York and take whatever jobs I have to to make it. My goal is to give myself a minimum of two years in New York and see what happens from there.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 11-02-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I plan on going into publishing and New York has the largest amount of publishing and editorial jobs in the nation so that's where I'm going to try and make it. I'm going to take the year off after school and save up as much money as I can and then sell my car and move to New York and take whatever jobs I have to to make it. My goal is to give myself a minimum of two years in New York and see what happens from there.
That sounds like a nice goal! I hope that it works out for you!! Publishing sounds like such a fun profession

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-02-2013, 09:37 PM

My school was pretty crappy about that. V_V

---------- Post added 11-02-2013 at 05:38 PM ----------

If you do move here we should meet up Seki!

Seiki Nova

Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 PM

Here's to hoping! I've got another year until graduation, so perhaps early 2015 I'll get to move there!