Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 PM

I actually thought that the young Snape didn't look half bad. His hair wasn't as greasy as normally seen in the movies with Alan Rickman.

Ishoku: The veil was really disappointing. I always imagined it to be a whole in the wall moreso than an actual arch in the middle of a circular court room. Like. It was the circular court room and all that stuff, but that the archway was just built into it and that it did have the natty torn black cloth over it.

I actually didn't care so much that they left out a few of the rooms in the whole ministry ordeal. I was more upset about other things that gave more insight to the overall story.

Lilithia
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-14-2007, 01:03 AM

I liked this movie. :D

Seiki Nova

Old 07-14-2007, 04:47 AM

Watching it again tonight to see if I like it better the second time around or not.

trinxie
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-14-2007, 12:47 PM

I liked the 4th movie better than the 5th.
The only thing that I really liked about the 5th movie was Luna Lovegood and the Dumbledore's army classes. That was cool.
To be honest, After reading 6 books of Harry Potter and having seen so many Harry Potter movies already, I'm so sick of HP and Daniel :lol:
I can't wait till the 7th book comes out though. I WANNA GET THE SERIES OVER AND DONE WITH ALREADY!!

I heard that during the making of the movie, 'harry' and 'cho' had to do the kissing scene over and over again to get it perfect. But their kiss wasn't even any good!! urk.

Also, I've been warned that the movie is hardly anything like the book, and it is quite disappointingly true. Sirius didn't die the way he was supposed to :? He was supposed to fall into the room which should have been veiled/curtained against a wall. Not in a circular room or whatever. When I read about him dying, I was soo saad! I bawled my eyes out. In the movie, I was like, "wait. Did Beatrix just cast the Evada Kevara curse on him? That doesn't sound right..."
Also I don't recall Luna being a popular character in the 5th book.
I know it said "Based on the novel by JK Rowling" during the credits, but its still disappointing how they changed a lot of things, cut out some of the best scenes, and didn't make Sirius death tragic =(

Transformers is better than Harry Potter.

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 07-14-2007, 03:31 PM

• Ishoku, I know, if I were one of those who only watched the movies, I probably couldn't understand why everyone couldn't do that stuff, change into a dog or change their hair colour or nose. xD
    Rupert Grint is also one of my favourites, but I felt like he was holding back so much throughout this movie. Like he was drugged up or something. I don't know, I didn't like his performance at all. :/

TwoStar, if you're going to read it in German, I'd stay away from the internet till it comes out, if you don't want any spoilers. xD

Seiki Nova, from the trailers, I'd got the idea that young Snape actually looked too handsome, but I was happy to find out he was still a little awkward, and had a big nose and stuff. :B

Spoilers: Trinxie, err.. no, Bellatrix actually killed Sirius. It doesn't say which curse she used, just that there were red flashes from her wand, but she definately killed him, inside a big, circular room with a stone archway in the middle of it. I actually have the book in front of me, and it says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order of the Phoenix
The second jet of light [from Bellatrix's wand] hit him squarely in the chest.
The laughter had not quite died from his face, but his eyes widened in shock.
Harry released Neville, though he was unaware of doing so. He was jumping down the steps again, pulling out his wand, as Dumbledore, too, turned towards the dais.
It seemed to take Sirius an age to fall: his body curved in a graceful arc as he sank backwards through the ragged veil hanging from the arc.
Harry saw the look of mingled fear and surprise on his godfather's wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil, which fluttered for a moment as though in a high wind, then fell back into place.

• And Luna was a semi-big character as well. I just read the book again and I don't feel like they made Luna any bigger than she was in the book. xD

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 07-15-2007, 03:55 AM

[align=center]See, I am just silly and let myself be disappointed at the fact that there are many changes in the movie when it was translated from the book... However, I do understand why so many things are cut and changed but it does not lighten my heart.

SPOILERS!

Things that were left unexplained/unfulfilled:
  1. Tonk's metamorphmagus ability
    Snape's memories (though it seems like those will not play a big role at all, i wish it could have been a constant stream like Pensive instead of Harry penetrating Snape's mind...)
    The veil itself
    The Weasley twins goodbye to Hogwarts
    O.W.L.s (they were kind of interrupted... >.> )
    Final battle (I'm not disappointed that so much was cut out but the room with the veil just didn't seem right... and WHEN COULD WIZARDS AND WITCHES MOVE LIKE SPEEDING LIGHT?!)
    No Luna commentating Quidditch D:
    Luna constantly mentioning nargles (at least I felt like that was all she mentioned...)
    No prefects? WTF?

-Infinate Grace-: I completely agree with you about Michael Gambon playing Dumbledore (although Richard Harris wasn't my idea actor either). He is just not mysterious... I feel like I know exactly what he is going to do and Dumbledore isn't suppose to make you think that way...
[/align]

Araani~Swift
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 PM

in my personal oppinion i think people look into these things far to much, they cant just sit and enjoy what is actually a bloody good film...
its bloody good because after watching it my boyfriend and i both agreed we could quite happily sit and watch it all again... if only we could afford the cinema tickets!

this is the very reason i have not yet read the books, and i dont plan on doing so untill all the films are over and done with.

NO they dont follow the books to the exact word. some things cannot be put onto screen what your mind can conjour up ('scuse the pun) i mean come on, imagin how long the film would be if they put everything into it from the books... somethings got to give somewhere, and they cant please everyone! not everyones favourite bits can get left in.

its like this with other things, die hard fans get to critical over things... personally i think OOTP is rank top with POA for film intencity... i cant decide which i think is best out of those two...

anyway, thats my oppinion...

Chi
Dancing to her own beat..
Penpal

Old 07-16-2007, 12:49 AM

I was disappointed by the ending (and some other things left out/done incorrectly in regards to the book), but I would say as a movie, it was good.

I liked The Order of the Phoenix a lot better than The Goblet of Fire (films, not books).

I was so very disappointed by the ending. Dumbledore never explained about the prophecy. :[ And we never got to see Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Ginny, and Neville act all bad add in the Department of Mysteries. Nor did we get to see the brains. I was really looking forward to that bit.

Sirius' fall into the veil wasn't gracefully portrayed (in my opinion). Not to mention he was hit with Avada Kedavra instead of the red stun spell (I'm not sure why I feel this is so significant...).

I do realize that a 800-900 page book needs cuts. I understand that not every last detail can be put into a movie, but come ON. The prophecy was at least a very important aspect.

Regardless, despite everything I mentioned above, I still enjoyed it when viewing the movie as a movie and not a book.

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...
Send a message via MSN to Rusalka

Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 AM

• I seen the movie on Opening night but I didn't get to reply until now.

The movie was fantastic for the most part, I love how the director managed it. He is actually good at making shows as such where politics are involved.. but I say he could have used another hour to match the first movie and add more of what was in the book.

I know movies can't follow the book word for word but he cut out so many scenes...

If you hadn't read, don't read passed this line. Until said so.
  • He skipped out COMPLETELY on Quidditch, nothing said about it at all.. that Ron and Ginny had joined the team after Harry and the Twins were kicked off.. People who didn't read the book doesn't know the relevance of Fred and George taking off on their brooms...

Ron and Hermione weren't made Prefects at all, that would have been a simple scene to create...

Sirius Black was NOT killed by the avada kadavra curse.. he was hit by a stupify spell and knocked into the curtain.. tis why there's been so many debates on whether he was still alive or not.

The scene after Sirius died was not at all that devastating.. I was ready to cry and I was like wah? Plus I was more devastated at the fact the scene was COMPLETELY wrong.

However I was pleased that Umbridge was a character that everyone could see for who she is and hated by those who haven't read the books even and could see she was a horrible person

No more spoilers

All and all I was fairly pleased with the movie besides for my previous rants about it.. But it was still very great and I am so glad it's much better than the fourth movie.

Sorry I haven't had the time to read through all your responses on it just yet...

El DJ
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-16-2007, 04:21 AM

I heard it sucked.

Morien
*^_^*

Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 AM

I liked this movie better than the last. One major complaint:

Sirius' death was taken far too lightly. It was like, "Oh, he's gone behind that curtain. Hm.. .where the hell is he?" and then.. "Oh no, I guess he's gone. Hm." and then... "Yay, happy ending music!" Not at all the reaction I had when reading the books. It was way too quick and way too dismissive.

But at least it was better than the AMAZING QUIDDITCH MATCH OF THE FOURTH MOVIE! If you're wondering what match that was, that's my point exactly. They did a lot of stuff like that for the fourth one.

Anyway, it was my second favorite of all the HP movies. It can't quite hold a candle to the third one, but was miles better than the second one.

None of them near reach the loveliness of the books.

ljosberinn

Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 PM

• Morien, I think almost anything would be better than the first two movies. ;Ð
    I also liked the third one best. And it was my favourite book, too. Didn't like the fourth one at all, I felt like that movie was just a show-off for the special effects they could do all the way through. *Rolls eyes*

A
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to A

Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 PM

@Morien - I thought they portrayed the death of Sirius well. When I read the book, I didn't even realized he had died. until a few pages later. It was like "He's hiding in the curtain oh snap he's dead."

Overall, I liked the movie for not liking this book very much.

I was disappointed by the lack of quidditch and the omission of Ron and Hermione becoming prefects. I thought that kind of stuff was important in the book.

Luna Lovegood was amazingly funny though. She made the movie worth watching.

Seiki Nova

Old 07-17-2007, 03:06 AM

I have a few things that I'd like to say about the individual characters in the movie, because I feel that these characters were more important, or had something that portrayed them higher than other characters because of the things that they were shown for. This includes the things that were left out.

Character Analysis's

Luna Lovegood: I wish there had been more to Luna that people could have seen. She is just one of those characters that could have made all the difference, and she's able to connect with people in ways that they normally wouldn't ever connect in. I liked that they did have her mention the nargles, but that was pretty much it for her beliefs. They never really did describe her with justice. Like that her father was the editor of The Quibbler (which I found very important to understanding her as a character) and I would have loved to have seen her Lion's hat.

Deloris Umbridge: I feel that her character was given about 90 percent of the justice it deserved, but that you could learn the whole story behind her. She was very well introduced at Hogwarts, and people could easily love to hate her. I do wish that her dealings with the dementors at the beginning of the movie would have been told though.

Neville Longbottom: I was extremely happy that Neville was portrayed as a larger character in this movie, because thus far he has been someone minor that you just look over. You really see his growth through the DA meetings, and it shows that he is definitely determined. He just needs a little bit of work. However, I think that had they had the hospital scene like in the book, it would have given you insight as to why Neville took as great a part in this one than the others. Why he was so willing to work for his beliefs, and the things he values.

That's it for now, because the other two characters I was going to analyze slip my mind right now haha. I forgot what they did in the movie that made them stand out in my mind in any case.

nescia
(^(エ)^)

Old 07-17-2007, 03:57 AM

I thought that this movie was terrible. If I hadn't read the books, I wouldn't have been able to follow it at all.

I'm still really excited for Deathly Hallows!

Seiki Nova

Old 07-17-2007, 04:12 AM

Deathly Hallows. Saturday at 12:01 haha. I will have it in my hands and be reading it until I finish.

But I only semi-agree with you. I think it was able to be followed, but it was very choppy from the perspective of a reader. It just jumped over a lot that would have made it easier to follow for a non-reader.

ljosberinn

Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 PM

• Har har, I get the book at 23.01, Friday. 8)

I agree about the Dementors, if they weren't going to tell us who actually sent them, why didn't they just cut them out altogether? The fact that Umbridge sent them was just as big a part as how Harry was trialled with the whole Wizengamot, in my opinion. .__.

Eimi
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Eimi

Old 07-17-2007, 06:58 PM

Well it is done by a different director..i think it was well done and i think it included the most important parts of the book...people need to understand that not everything from the books can fit into the movie..i treat them both totally different because they are both an art form..i love all the movies and think that each of them do quite a good job at trying to bring to life the books..the only thing i missed from movie five was that they didnt include much of anything concerning the centaurs..but thats it..i think they did a great job with the DA and the casting job for luna and beatrix were fabulous..i liked umbridge she did make me hate her again..but she was so not what i pictured..over all i think the movie was good..but thats my opinion..so looking forward to book 7

Abis
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 PM

The fifth was much better than the fourth, although it strayed from the book more than I'd have liked.

The books are too long to fit into one 2 hour movie. Should be broken up into halves so they don't have to cut as much, but eh.

Seiki Nova

Old 07-17-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljosberinn
  • Har har, I get the book at 23.01, Friday. 8)

I agree about the Dementors, if they weren't going to tell us who actually sent them, why didn't they just cut them out altogether? The fact that Umbridge sent them was just as big a part as how Harry was trialled with the whole Wizengamot, in my opinion. .__.
How does that work? DX

I seriously thing that a 3 hour HP movie would be fine with me. I mean, people watch The Lord of the Rings movies and those are like four hours each or something (or maybe its just me not liking them that makes it seem that long DX). But seriously, they need more than two hours.

Eimi
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-17-2007, 08:02 PM

i think the more they try to fit into it the more choppy it will truely be..they are trying to get the main parts in and have it move just right and i think they are doing that just fine..i dont think another hour worth of film is going to make a difference..they will never be able to get the entire book on film so people just need to deal with that and treat them as seperate...they do the best they can..

elanifave
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to elanifave

Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 AM

I think Sirius's death wasn't done very well in the movies, just because I was more upset when Umbridge was kicking Professer Trelawney out of the school than I was when Sirius just kind of drifted away. And excuse the horrible name spelling x.x I'm still studying for the release party spelling bee.

Queen Fool
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Queen Fool

Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A
"I think I'm going to go have some pudding now"

Luna cracked me up. Maybe because I know someone like her?

This was a good movie, especially considering I couldn't stand the book. It moved too slow. I pictured Umbridge heavier, though.

Eimi
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-18-2007, 04:36 AM

The book is my least favorite thus far mostly because of angsty harry teenage phase..and ya i totally pictured umbridge differently..and i like luna was casted perfectly..made me actually take notice of the character

Seiki Nova

Old 07-18-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by A
"I think I'm going to go have some pudding now"

Luna cracked me up. Maybe because I know someone like her?

This was a good movie, especially considering I couldn't stand the book. It moved too slow. I pictured Umbridge heavier, though.
Luna has always been my favorite Character after Dumbledore (I so bawled for days after he died in Half-Blood Prince). But the girl who they cast for Luna was amazing in the movie!