Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Hey Artsy. :)
I know how you feel, I've been dreadfully neglectful of my reading this year. I just need to tie myself down and get through five or six books!

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM

I'm back, at least for a little bit.. got work in an hour and a half, just having a quick bite to eat and some internet browsing before I need to get ready.

And I do recommend the Anno Dracula, Iltu. Another really interesting thing about it, is that you get to know pretty much right from the start who the killer is, so you get to see both sides of it - the killer's and the police's.

I went to the library today to check when my reservation of A Clash Of Kings (second book of the Song of Ice and Fire series) was supposed to come in and found out that they'd typed my e-mail address in wrong, so I'd missed it. Need to wait another month now, probably. :gonk:

Shishunki
=w=/

Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 PM

Itlu- I love all the extra detail. If anything I wish this was the more popular form. ^^; It adds so much to the characters.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 PM

I need to read more... I just finished the penultimate book in the Keys to the Kingdom series, by Garth Nix. I'm in the middle of Airman, but it just got really depressing so I'm trying to decide whether I want to read it right now...

sidrabutterfly
Infinitely odd

Old 08-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Right now I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
I've been reading a lot of Jasper Fforde (Thursday Next, Nursery Crimes, and Shades of Grey), China Mieville (Perdido Street Station), Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files), Charles DeLint, and other books sprinkled in between.

SesshysMiko
Literally, I can't.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Hi everyone! ^^ Got a recommendation for all you YA Fantasy lovers xP

Title: Iron Fey Series (Iron King, Iron Daughter, Iron Queen)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Genre: Fantasy, Mystery (just my opinion lol)
Plot: A girl finds out that she's part faery and is drawn into a world full of lies, love and heartbreak.
Why You Love It: Because when I read this series, I feel like I'm a part of the world I'm reading about.

sidrabutterfly
Infinitely odd

Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM

I've got two recommendations of the weird fantasy sort. Both of these books are intended for mature audiences.

Title:Perdido Street Station
Author:China Mieville
Genre:Fantasy/Horror
Plot: Issac Is trying to build a Crisis engine when Yagharek a Garuda (bird person) who has had his wings cut off approaches him to use his Crisis engine to help him to fly again. This Leads Issac to some remarkable discoveries about the city he lives in.
Why You Love It: China Mieville creates an outstanding world, with very realistic characters. The writing, and the concepts in this book are just masterfully rendered. Just don't read it too late at night.

Title:The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles
Author:Haruki Murakami
Genre:Fantastic Realism/mystery
Plot: Toru has a very ordinary life until his wife Kumiko disappears, and he set out to find her with some very odd people helping him.
Why You Love It: Weird and wonderful, with some bonus History lessons from a Japanese perspective that are far from ordinary and boring.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM

I should read the Song of Fire and Ice series. <3 I have the author's autograph on a tee shirt. <3

I have so much I would like to read, though. I hardly know where to begin.

Iltu

Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Pat- I am so incredibly sorry I keep missing you! :gonk: I know we've talked a few times, and you seem absolutely fabulous and it makes me sad that I never seem to be on at the right time to chat with you.

That's a very lovely way to write a book. I love it when an author can tell you the end right in the beginning and still make it an interesting read.

Awh, that sucks! Missing a reserved book when it comes in is the absolute worst!
I'm a few pages in on Game of Thrones, but then I promised myself I would finish Absalom, Absalom! and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer before I finished it.

Shi- So is this a whole new perspective of the story for you, or is it all stuff you already knew?

Fairy- Was it you I was talking about Garth Nix the other day? How is the Keys to the Kingdom series? :) I think those are the only books of his that I have not read.
Airman looks good! But depressing gets a little rough for me, and it looks like a very sad book.

Grace- How far are you in American Gods? I think I got to page 100 before I got distracted by other books, and I may have lost it when we moved. :no: I'll have to find it again so I can finish it!
Jasper Fforde was just mentioned in this thread the other day! I've heard of Jim Butcher and Charles DeLint through their reviews of Jane Lindskold's work or thei work being compared to hers in a review, but I have not read anything by either of them. I did read a short story by DeLint, now that I think of it, but that hardly counts.

Sesshy and Grace- I will go toss those up on the front page!
And Sesshy, I read those books! Valiant was by far my favorite. :yes:

Angel- That's so cool! I'm a few pages in on Game of Thrones, like I said to Pat. :yes:

Last edited by Iltu; 08-08-2011 at 10:30 PM..

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 PM

I read Garth Nix's Abhorson series - Sabirel, Lirael, Abhorson - and really enjoyed them. <3

Iltu

Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Sabriel was the book that got me into Garth Nix. :heart: It's one of my favorite books of all time!

Ugh, to have a cup of coffee, or not to have a cup of coffee? That is the question. I already had a cup this morning and I try to limit myself to one cup a day (or no cups a day), but I'm feeling so tired and stressed right now. >> And I usually go running to coffee or sweets when I feel that way. But I'm trying to loose weight, so coffee would be better. But at the same time, that's not a very healthy way to handle feeling stressed so maybe I should just resist the urge altogether? </rambling>

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 PM

It is sad. He's in jail right now! :(

I don't think so. It's a young adult book, but it's still just as magical, and only slightly less scary than soem of his other books. The biggest difference is the protagonist is younger.

Iltu

Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 PM

Yeah, I read about that bit on the summary page on Amazon!

I would really like to read them one day. But there's so much to read out there! I hope I'll manage to get to them sometime.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Yeah, i know what you mean. It makes me a little sad...

ljosberinn

Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iltu View Post
Pat- I am so incredibly sorry I keep missing you! :gonk: I know we've talked a few times, and you seem absolutely fabulous and it makes me sad that I never seem to be on at the right time to chat with you.

That's a very lovely way to write a book. I love it when an author can tell you the end right in the beginning and still make it an interesting read.

Awh, that sucks! Missing a reserved book when it comes in is the absolute worst!
I'm a few pages in on Game of Thrones, but then I promised myself I would finish Absalom, Absalom! and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer before I finished it.

Aww thanks, that really brightened my mood to hear. ^^ There's crazy rioting going on in London at the moment, I just came home a couple of hours early from work, we had to close it because of rioters running down the street outside. And I just heard a club really close to the pub I work at is burning down, it's really scary. >.<

And yeah, I agree with the telling you how it's going to end but still keep you glued to the pages. Well, not knowing how it's going to end really, but you know the main mystery of it, just not how the characters are going to solve it.
It took me a little while to really get into Game of Thrones - it's so confusing having all those different characters for different chapters at first, and I'm terrible with names so I can never remember who's who. But as soon as I got the hang of it, I literally could not stop reading. I actually listened to the audiobook, and I started it just before I went back home to my parents' for three weeks.. of course I ended up spending most of the first week or so staying at home and listening, instead of going out and catching up with friends. xP

Iltu

Old 08-08-2011, 11:14 PM

Fairy- But at the same time, it's nice to know I'll never run out of things to read. :yes:

Pat-

Oh goodness, I'm so glad you are alright! *hugs* I had no idea that you lived in London. The riots are so frightening, and the whole situation is really sad. I had a hard time reading about what was going on, and I'm not even British! I hope you stay safe. :hug: And that's super scary about the club, wow. :no:

Yes, it's how the characters get to the end, that's the good stuff!
Yeah, I'm about 40 pages in and my head was spinning from all the characters! I definitely reread a few bits as I went. The break I am taking from it ended up being longer than I intended, so I might just start again from the beginning to really make sure everyone is straight in my head. I really like books with tons of characters though, I always think they are more fun.
Books will do that, won't they? XP Sometimes they're just more appealing than actual people, no matter how much you like the actual people.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-08-2011, 11:15 PM

Oh that's terrible. My Mom lived as a little girl in Detroit during the riots. Her Mom (my grandma) still went to work and everything, because she had to.

Iltu

Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 PM

That would be really scary as well! I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been for her.

ljosberinn

Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 PM

Thanks, it is really scary.. I just hope the pub will be okay, because it has really large windows on the ground floor.. just started this job as well, and I'd like to keep it. >.< My next shift is on Wednesday night, hopefully it'll be alright then.

Hehe, I had to reread quite a few bits too. And yes, good books will make you feel like you are actually involved with the story, make you feel for the characters and you're really anxious to know what happens to them next. Which was really the case of Game of Thrones with me, even if I did feel a bit bad about not spending as much time with my friends as I could've. :P

Anyway, I think I'm going to just try to get some sleep, although I'm all worked up now about the riots. Hopefully things will calm down soon. Good night!

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 PM

Hey, it's been a while... mind if I chat? :D

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 PM

Night!

Sure Clair.

Iltu

Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 PM

Pat- I hope it's all done with by then too. You, the bar you work at, and the rest of London are all in my thoughts. :hug:

That's the feel I'm getting from it so far! It seems like it will be a really involved series.
Good night and sleep well. :)

Hey Clair, lovely to see you! By all means come on in! :D

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 PM

I hope London calms down, whatever the riots are about.

I can't find the webpage about Garth Nix. Why did he go to jail?

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 PM

He went to jail? Really?

Iltu

Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 PM

Angel- Oh, he didn't! We were talking about a book character and Garth Nix at the same time. :yes: