Aganab
Butt

Old 04-02-2014, 03:08 PM

Do you ever just feel like there's way too many great books in the world?

I'm not saying that I don't appreciate people writing amazing books, because I really do, but I'm really terrified that I won't be able to read all of the books I really want to read, like, before I die. My entire bookshelf is full, and I've only read like half of the books I own, and then I've got so many borrowed books from my friends, which I've had for a long time, but I've haven't had a chance to read them yet! I think I might just quit high school and become a professional book reader (please let that be a viable career option).

Does anyone else feel similarly sometimes?

Also, just out of curiosity, how long does it take you guys to read a book, on average?

Suzanne Sky
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-02-2014, 08:00 PM

LOL - No, I don't. ;) But I'll admit that my To Be Read stack is way too high and my To Be Read list is even higher. I just added another to the list a few minutes ago, when I got an email notice that mentioned it. *sigh...*

How long it takes me to read a book, of course depends on the length... And on how much I like it. Overall, I would say the average is within a week, unless I don't enjoy it very much.

How about you?

Aganab
Butt

Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 AM

It usually takes me two, even three weeks to read a book, if I'm enjoying it and actively reading it. Then there's those times when I'm reading like five books at a time, so I end up taking half a year to read all those. But yeah, right now I'm typically busy with schoolwork, or I can't bother actually reading (which is weird, because I really do enjoy it), so it takes me quite some time. Back in the day if I really enjoyed a book and it wasn't very long I would read it within two days. That's actually what happened with the first Hunger Games book.

Latigua
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-09-2014, 07:47 AM

I have so many books I want to read as well. Some of them aren't even in print anymore! Let me know if book reading becomes a viable career choice. I'll sign up for it too.

I used to be able to read a book in just a few days to a week depending on the length. Now it can take me a few weeks to a month to get through a book, but I have found so many amazing authors that the extra time is worth it to absorb their stories. The first time I had read the Harry Potter series it only took me a few days to a week. Those books got long! Now there are longer books that take time to read and I love every moment of it.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 AM

I actually find it comforting. Try to actually imagine having read every good book. Having nothing left. Or only having one or two left and having next to no options. I'm comforted to know that there will always be tons and tons and tons of amazing books to choose from. A virtually never-ending supply, something for every mood and whim.

SeaSaltEyes
Professional Napper

Old 04-12-2014, 01:43 AM

Becoming a professional book reader would probably be the best thing in the entire world. I have this ridiculously long list of books I want to read and I get so distracted that I haven't been able to finish a book in like a billion years. And then of course there's always those books I want to read again, and again, and again... I feel like I'll never get to any of the books I haven't read yet!

It usually takes me about a week to read a book if I read every night which I usually do. Sometimes longer depending on the book. Some of the classics take me forever to finish. But I re-read the entire HP series in 3 weeks...

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-12-2014, 02:02 AM

You could turn reading into an element of your job, certainly. Librarians need to keep up on current and classic books to make better recommendations to people, literature teachers need an extensive knowledge, and you might even be able to make a living off writing about books. Reviews, editorials, critical analysis for journals, etc. Or you could volunteer to read books to children or the elderly. That one doesn't pay, of course.