<3vampiric-prine-darren<3
Dead Account Holder

Old 09-27-2008, 02:21 AM

okay just to preface I lo-, no wait, LOVED this book especially when you find out what actually happened to the main character (note to those who have not read it: NO STAY AWAY FROM WIKIPEDIA IT RUINS THE STORY) but i don't know ive always been one for controversial subject matter and im just weird like that.
anywho discuss what you felt on this book or any other books that may be considered "dangerous" or just laugh at the fact that there is none.

black rain
*^_^*
Banned

Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 PM

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? what book are you talking about im sorry im a newb who has no idea what she is doing or what your talking about are you just talking about a random book or a real one that im not reading in between the lines to see the title of

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 PM

vampiric is talking about a book called Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson.

Is that what you were wondering?

< 3

Old 10-05-2008, 05:32 PM

I had to read this book over the summer as part of an assignment, and I have to say it's one of the few books my school has assigned as of late that I was pleased with.
The story flows in an interesting way, following the thought progression of the main character through her ninth grade school year.
Some of her little one liners were hilarious and the novel had sort of a freedom about it. The book would say whatever it wanted and you were just going to have to deal with it.
I felt bad for her, but at the same time I really respected her character strength, even though I didn't agree with a lot of her choices.
As far as other "dangerous" (I'm assuming you mean banned books) works, I really like The Catcher In The Rye.

loukhos
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to loukhos

Old 10-22-2008, 04:33 AM

I, too, loved "speak".

When I read it, I was a little out of it myself, and it just made me feel that much more the story. The way it's written may not be paragraph-city, but that doesn't hinder it's point any I don't think.

I showed it to one of my teachers after I had read it, and they liked it so much they said they were going to put it on their lesson plan..

The part that grips me the most I think, is how loud the silence is in the book. If you understand.. I haven't seen another book show such a thing so well.

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 PM

I hated that book. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Really. The main character drove me nuts. "I'm so emo and something bad happened to me and now everyone hates me. boo hoo"

loukhos
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 PM

Have you read the entire book then, Melissa? *curious*

I kind of thought her emotions and actions were justified.. such a problem would mess anybody up.

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 10-22-2008, 08:52 PM

Hahah Yeah I read the whole book.

I can't relate. If something like that happened to me I wouldn't be quiet about it. And her actions through the whole book drove me insane. I'm wanted to kill her. She was just so...blah.

loukhos
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-22-2008, 11:57 PM

Ahh. *laughs* Well, different people react differently to stuff like that.

Someone I know who that did happen to, she kinda went .. crazy. Isolated herself from the world, refused to let anyone get close to her, stuff like that. And if it had happened to me, I know I would've done exactly what she did. >w>

Did you hate all of it, or were there parts you liked..? :'O

I remember that being the first book I read which formatted itself like it did.

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 AM

*shrugs* yeah. I'd be pretty vocal if that happened to me. and I don't care nearly as much about what people thought of me when I was in high school as she seemed too. So what if everyone hated me. :D Big deal. I know my own good qualities.

The only part I liked was the art bits. That's it.

loukhos
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-24-2008, 06:30 AM

The art bits were good. :'D It was a nice relief in the book.

I used to think I'd be vocal too, until something happened to me, and then I pretty much changed completely..

I kinda think she's like that too? She used to be so energetic and open with people, very popular and full of life. And then all of a sudden, everyone she used to turn to is ignoring her, and she doesn't know what to do..

She is so desperate to seek some kind of solace and comfort in her friends, the way they used to be there for her. But now she is finding she is alone, and they are not there for her. She has only herself..

And she can't face herself. It is not other people she's afraid of - what she's afraid of most is herself.

Like, how she won't name what troubles her. Like how she won't go back for the duct tape she drops, in that one scene - she isn't afraid of being yelled at. She's afraid of that dark thing inside of her which scares her. She's afraid of it eatting her up from inside..

And because she's afraid, it does. 8D She can't face that.

o3o; *kinda rambled* Ah, but I like this book..

Hehe, like before, I guess, everyone reacts to those types of things differently. :'D

Liath
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Liath Send a message via MSN to Liath

Old 12-01-2008, 04:11 AM

I read this book, like, 7 years ago, and I liked it a lot.

juniper_silver
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-04-2008, 03:39 AM

That's one of my favorite books. I really didn't find her emo though. She got raped, it's not like she just started withdrawing because some guy dumped her or something trivial like that. Like loukhos said though, everyone reacts differently to things. And it's very easy to say "I wouldn't do that", but usually becomes more difficult to actually not do it once you're in the situation.