-GuiltyInk-

Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 AM

Alot of people thinks that Twilight ruined the image of vampires. I'm one of thsoe people that thinks it did too-well, the sparkling vampire part threw me off. And the movie did not help with that case. Like at all.
What do you think?

Ode
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 AM

I don't read the books; don't watch the movies. *shrug* Whenever someone thinks of vampire, the old movie images are gone, the haunting history of Vlad the Impaler gone, Anne Rice--who used to be the center of vampire literature--gone. Now it's just chiseled, attractive teens lusting over one another. Oye.

Honeebee

Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Vampires. Don't. Sparkle.
End of story

Huffie
Sa Tonkiki, sa Tonkinoise~

Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeebee View Post
End of story
Vampires don't exist. So they can sparkle if they bloody well like! :XD

No, I don't think so. They were popular as sexy man-candy before Twilight, and besides, you can't ruin vampires image, you can morph ideas and perceptions of them, but they never had an image to be ruined. I'm sick of people complaining about Twilight! :lol:

Leaa
*^_^*

Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM

Haha I did read twilight.. and also watched the movies. I have to say that I really enjoyed reading the books.. but not because they were that good or anything. They are more my guilty-pleasures.. :P

Anyhow; no I don't think that Myer ruined the image of vampires.. I mean, they don't exist. Myer just had a total different idea about them! Well good for her no? She earned a lot with it XD Vampires will still be those mysterious dark creatures from the night.. that's something Myers won't change ^^

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 02-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
Now it's just chiseled, attractive teens lusting over one another. Oye.
:illgetu: Hear Hear! Don't call me a "Twi-hater" but in my opinion, the books and the movies ruined the perception of vampires in the eyes of the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeebee View Post
End of story
:headdesk: No. They do not sparkle at all. They die... again.

Huffie

Old 02-23-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenji-chan View Post
:illgetu: Hear Hear! Don't call me a "Twi-hater" but in my opinion, the books and the movies ruined the perception of vampires in the eyes of the public.
Oh come now! Even if Twilight could 'ruin' the public perception of vampires, you can't think it was sinlge handed? Before I'd even ever heard of Twilight there was stuff on T.V. like 'Moonlight' and 'Blood Ties', when I was a little girl I'm sure it was the same because I remember being one of those pretentious little snots who wanted to be/thought they were a vampire. :lol:

"Yeah, I actually love the taste of blood, right? AND...I'M REALLY PALE. I'm just like a vampire! :insane:"

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 02-23-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffie View Post
Oh come now! Even if Twilight could 'ruin' the public perception of vampires, you can't think it was sinlge handed?
I'll agree to the fact that it wasn't single handed, but it definitely was the last straw. Because it was so hyped up and because it's so popular everyone knows about it - that is why I blame it. The other shows you referenced had some viewers. Twilight has a global fan base.

Huffie

Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenji-chan View Post
I'll agree to the fact that it wasn't single handed, but it definitely was the last straw. Because it was so hyped up and because it's so popular everyone knows about it - that is why I blame it. The other shows you referenced had some viewers. Twilight has a global fan base.
Ah, I see your point! :O It does seem like Twilight could be considered 'the straw that broke the camel's back'.
Although I still don't think vampires image has been or could be ruined due to reasons I stated in my original post. :lol:

...Hey, does anyone else find it a bit funny that we're discussing vampires image? :XD

Ode
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffie View Post

...Hey, does anyone else find it a bit funny that we're discussing vampires?
Nah, the iconic image of vampires is something worth the commentary! :D

Leaa
*^_^*

Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM

psh.. I just got a really crazy thought..

Let's look at it from a 'real' vampire perspective.. I think they would be laughing their ass off.. while still killing and drinking blood XD

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM

If I were a vampire and was forced to watch/ read twilight I would blow my own brains out... after going on a blood spilling spree, of course.

Huffie

Old 02-23-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
Nah, the iconic image of vampires is something worth the commentary! :D
Haha, no, I meant because they supposedly don't have images. :XD Or at least not in mirrors!

Saria Florite
Collector Of Expensive Dolls

Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 PM

I like vampire stories.
I like them being the viciouse creatures of the night killing and either draining people dry or ripping them apart.
I like books that give vampires different characteristics. Like in My Sword Hand Is Singing, to halt the vampire like creatures you throw seeds on the ground and they HAVE to gather them before chasing after you. I know weird.
I don't really find anything romantic about a creature or human taking your blood, but I do like books involving sexy vampires and such where it is more along the lines of a life line and isn't really considered something romantic that the vampire HAS to do to his lady love.
BUt sparkling vampires???
I know vampires are described to be pale as marbles or with stone like features that remind people of statues.
But sparkle???? Edward Cullen would be more appealing to me if he HAD to pick up seeds I throw at him XD

Hagiri-Lin

Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 PM

I like vampire stories but the Twilight books...They just well They don't do vampires any good. Vampires do not sparkle, they do how ever live around normal humans but a lot chose to not be, because us humans fear what we do not understand therefore we destroy what we consider un-normal. How ever vampires do see us like we see cows or chickens we're their food like animals are our food. We are their cattle.

So all in all I dislike the Twilight books, but I wont say I didn't like them at first. But now seeing the Twilight fanatics. Speaking from experience my ex-best friend she now has the problem of telling what is real, and what is just in books she thinks their every where she lost her since of reality....:feesh::rawrmayor:

Last edited by Hagiri-Lin; 02-23-2010 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: left a part out of it and misspelt word

LadyKnightSkye
Now the Mule of Kin-Akari

Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 AM

Honestly, its more the obsessive fans that have started ruining vampires for me. But really, sooner or later the vampire fad will end and we can go back to loving the creatures of the night that do not sparkle and whine.

Runes
*^_^*

Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 AM

I think it brought Vampires to an unsavory level. I hate that part that only there kind can kill them and the fact that Meyers never kept that story straight. Edward said he was a god in ways but death came as easy as burning the body, which is slightly right. I don't believe in Vampires reproducing as well. Sexuality should only be used to gather victims. There are not suppose to be beautiful either, they are the walking dead, sunken eyes are not pretty.

Hagiri-Lin

Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKnightSkye View Post
Honestly, its more the obsessive fans that have started ruining vampires for me. But really, sooner or later the vampire fad will end and we can go back to loving the creatures of the night that do not sparkle and whine.
I hope your right i miss loving vampires when they weren't like the ones in Twilight.

parcae

Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKnightSkye View Post
Oh, man. AMEN to this. I just really want to take all of those Twilight-Style Vampire Lovers and sit them down and make them read, really read, Dracula. Then at least I could sleep knowing that if I'm lucky, behind every view of Cullen they get, there will be lurking the truly wonderful and sinister profile of Count Dracula, and the painful suffering and loss that Lucy experienced; and how THOSE are the real stories of Vampires. Then, maybe, if we focus on that, I won't mind people loving Vampires. So long as they know what Vampires really are. :]

parcae

apocalypse rei
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-25-2010, 03:41 AM

Yeah, i have a problem with the whole sparkly vampire thing. I read the first book and watched the first movie. The book was alright, but it was so ridiculous how Stephanie Meyer had to draw out Bella's ordinary life. Seriously, i don't need five chapters about not knowing why Edward seems to hate her.

Son Zack
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM

I don't know, I was never really into it before Twilight. All the spin offs are getting a bit old, though. I'm done with hearing about it. I read 'Interview With the Vampire' a while ago and thought it was okay. I don't really care about 'the ruination of vampire mystique' or whatever people are complaining about nowadays. Vampires aren't real anyway, so there isn't really much to debate. They are a product of imagination and I suppose imagination has the right to alter them, too.

Darrigan
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaa View Post
psh.. I just got a really crazy thought..

Let's look at it from a 'real' vampire perspective.. I think they would be laughing their ass off.. while still killing and drinking blood XD
I agree with this. If vampires were real, then it is quite possible they have been laughing at this obsession for centuries. I can just imagine what they would be saying.
"We do what?!"
"These humans are funny."
"Look at what they have come up with now."
"Hey! Why do vampires in the movies and books have to be beautiful?"
"I wish we lived that long."
"What the heck are these people thinking?"
"I want a cult following too."
"Wow! That comes pretty close to the truth."
"That was way off.":offtopic:

Sasha1985
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via Yahoo to Sasha1985

Old 02-26-2010, 08:16 PM

I don't think so because theres always got to be a good side and a bad side tho everything and everybody. There are good vampires and bad vampires in Twilight I know that the fan girls for Twilight are quite annoying myself I am a huge fan but I am not a fan girl by any means I don't have a single bit of twilight stuff except all 4 of the books I hated the movie and I think that people are getting too obsessed with the whole thing. I just like her writing itself and her characters in the book she did an excellent job and I like to believe that every "evil" thing out there that there is a group of "outcasts" trying to be good.

XxIron_Maiden_OpheliaxX
Black Alice
Send a message via MSN to XxIron_Maiden_OpheliaxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxIron_Maiden_OpheliaxX

Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 PM

I wouldn't say that Twilight ruined vampires, per say the sparkling thing may have put a blemish on the fictional favorite. But I can hardly see where its been ruined, there are still several authors producing books about vampires who mind you don't sparkle. I see it as Meyer just came up with a different aspect, of how she saw vampires it was her own creative spark. Granted I only enjoy the first two books, after book three then the over populized mass production of "Lets stick the actors on everything from shirts to candy bars!" I was pretty much was put off by anything related to Twilight after that, and I'll admit that I cant stand hearing about it. Even still I enjoy books about vampires, and will continue to probably for the rest of my life. Because hey who can resist a dark hunk, with a tragic soul?

TheYaoiButterfly
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via MSN to TheYaoiButterfly Send a message via Yahoo to TheYaoiButterfly

Old 02-27-2010, 12:13 AM

absolutely destroyed the image of vampires...VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE! ugh.........the only good thing about the books was the werewolves...and Meyers even messed them up some. Werewolves do not come from native american legends, the werewolf legends started in europe. I don't mind some creative license on things like that...but at least keep the legend in its right continent. >_<