A
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to A

Old 07-16-2007, 08:20 PM

My college sent me a book that I have to read of the summer.
The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery. It's about global warming or something.

I think making a kid read a book when it isn't necessary for any specific class is just silly. To me, it's a waste of time. If I cared about global warming or Tim Flannery, I would read the book on my own.

What do you guys think about summer readings?

linkfreak131
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM

You're lucky you only have to read one... I have to read three, two for AP English, and one for AP History. I also have to write a 15 paged essay for the history one, and a three page report for the same book... >_>;;;

I don't like it, but, it'll keep me a bit busy for over the summer.

CLAMP
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-16-2007, 09:10 PM

I never get summer reading. If I wish to read, I will do it on my on turff. Plus it's kind of stupid we have to read while they sit on their butts waiting for the next year.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 07-17-2007, 02:14 AM

My college isn't making me read a summer novel, but all throughout highschool I had too. I read Moby Dick, 100 years of solitude, Watt, hamlet, murder in the catherdral, pygmalion, 100 secret senses, and anthem from 10-12th grade for summer reading. I ended up enjoying most of the novels (the only two I didn't enjoy were Watt and 100 secret senses. Although, after analyzing and writing an essay on Watt I enjoyed and appreciated it much more than I originally thought.) But then, I also enjoy writing essays and analyzing novels and poems :D Moby Dick and A hundred years of Solitude were especially fun to analyze and Hamlet is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays.

If i hadn't been forced to read some of these novels, I probably never would have. I never thought about reading Moby Dick and it's turned out to be one of my favourite novels ever.

It's tedious to read for summer reading, I'd rather read what I want on my own time, but, in the end, I think it helped me grow as a student, a writer, a reader, and as a person :D

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 AM

I have two books to read by the 13th for my AP English class.. but I think I'm dropping it because I honestly can't live with either of my AP teachers. I can't handle having them every other day for an entire year. So.. I don't think I'll read them xD

But I have to read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

Pearl
Toruk Makto

Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 AM

*runs to fetch reading list*

"Spies" by Michael Frayn (had already started reading this)
"Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier
"Making History" by Brian Friet

I hope they're an interesting read. Anyone else got thoughts on them?

Idiosyncratic
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM

I don't have any becasue well, i've left school.

aphrodite remix
I am not an adventurer by choice...
Send a message via MSN to aphrodite remix

Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM

When I was in highschool we never really had to do summer book reports, actually I've never had to do that for any grade I was in. Personally I'm not against it. I love reading, and end up reading many books over the summer, reading one more that may be a little on the boring side, or seem irrelivant isn't really that big of a deal to me. However I'm sure my oppinion on that will change once I start university and have to read way more than I have before.

Queen Fool
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Queen Fool

Old 07-18-2007, 03:53 AM

I have to read three books that have "literary value" and answer a bunch of crap about them. I picked 3 books that are under 100 pages that I know I'm allowed to read. If I don't get at least a D, there is literally no chance of passing for the first marking period. My school takes this way to seriously. Especially for the honors kids.

elanifave
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to elanifave

Old 07-18-2007, 04:07 AM

I haven't had to do summer reading for a while, but the last time I did I really liked the books that got picked o.o; We had to read Catcher in the Rye, which is one of my favorite books ever, The Death of Ivan Ilyich (bad spelling ahoy XP) which was way fun to analyze, and Night, which I think everyone had to read eventually anyway o.o; Right? Well, I liked it. So, finally, my point is that I like summer reading, because it forces people to read books they wouldn't have read otherwise, and most of the books they pick are really good. Plus, most English teachers never spend more than a day or two on summer reading (mine didn't anyway) so the books don't get ruined by repeated reading and slamming the points of the book down your throat! #^__^#

Star Valo
Silly Little Unicorn
Penpal

Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 AM

i think it's unfair when anyone sets you something to do over holidays, they're supposed to be time away from things like that

Especially when they have nothing to do with what you're doing!

Thats just unfair on your part.

iSpam~
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 AM

Like what was said before, you're lucky to only have to read one! O:
But hey, that's just me. xD