Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-17-2016, 03:32 AM

"Well I haven't seen too much of your paintings yet, have I?" Barett teased, eyes trained over the painting Elias had started to create as members of the class began to finish for the day and start filing away their brushes, shouting brief farewells to the older man. "But what I have seen so far, well it doesn't tell me much besides what I learned talking to you." He turned his eyes to Elias now, "Then maybe that's confirmation I'm seeing the real you or a facet of it. Calm and gentle and kind," he paused considering the colors, "A little sad too, I'd guess, but really I'd have to see more to say anything else."

"You know, it's the type of stuff I see in the paintings by my favorite artist. There stuff is so beautiful. Gorgeous scenery, but it always seems a little sad, a little lonely. It's what pulls me in I guess. You know I said I liked abandoned things, but I also don't like them to always be abandoned." He rubbed at his arms, tilting his head up to look at Elias, suddenly shy, as he shared how much he loved this artist. "I could look at their paintings for hours. Actually have. I just hope I get to meet them sometime. I want to tell them they don't have any reason to feel so alone. Or if they are, I'll be their friend," he grinned at that, "No one who can create something that beautiful should feel alone."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-17-2016, 03:56 PM

"You may have seen them, but just not realized it," Elias hummed back, the words vague, but true. Galleries and even a magazine once featured his art often enough for a person with that kind of interest to be familiar with it. He just didn't sign with his name. His design. Tilting on his stool, he regarded Barrett as if he might read right into the other man through his eyes. He held that gaze for almost a minute. Then he pulled away with a shake of his head and a smile. "You find something gentle and sad in a painting of the sky? I think you read too far into those theories. After all, some say what you see in a painting is as much a reflection of yourself than the painter. Perhaps more so."

Elias didn't realize the passage of time until his students started to chatter and put the paint supplies back in the center of the room. Some always came and went, but the crux of people were beginning to pack up. His own painting progressed farther than he planned, being egged on by Barrett. Listening to the other's words, he studiously paid attention to packing up himself, not wanting to meet Barrett's gaze. The tone he talked about his favorite painting with was soft and almost longing. So kind. Elias couldn't help the ache in his chest because that artist could be him and yet it surely wasn't. This need to fill the loneliness in a person belonged to that other artist despite the fact that Elias was receiving it now. "...You truly are kind."

With the room empty now, he spoke again. "Perhaps you can show me this artist's paintings some other time?"

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-18-2016, 01:39 AM

Barrett considered Elias his eyes narrowing, "Hmmm, well if that's the case I'll just have to get to know you even better to see if I have and if I'm able to guess," he shrugged, before continuing, "Or if that doesn't work I could always sneak into your studio or something." Though Barrett probably wouldn't do that unless Elias was particularly stubborn about revealing his work, and well then, you couldn't really blame him. But he'd prefer to convince the other to show him, "But really I'd like it best if you revealed it to me, and more than just a pretty painting of a sky," he said gesturing at the partially completed canvas in front of them.

Barrett flushed at Elias's words, looking down shy and overwhelmed, "It's not that kind, is it?" he murmured, also not meeting Elias's eyes. "I just want to be their friend, and maybe it's partially motivated out of selfishness." As he spoke more of the bravado flooded back into his voice, trying to move away from the flash of pleasure and shyness that filled him at Elias's praise, "I mean if I'm their friend, I'll get full access to see those paintings, rather than only getting to glimpse them when they happen to be included in a show." He grinned up at Elias, "And I'd love to share! None of my friends back home really liked going to art stuff with me, but I know you'll like it. So next time. It's a date, huh?"

Last edited by Wings of Writing; 06-18-2016 at 03:21 AM..

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-19-2016, 08:52 PM

Elias shook his head, a small frown pulling on his face at the mention of sneaking into his studio. He didn't think he could forgive such an action. To accidentally walk in was one thin, but another entirely to break his tightly kept privacy on purpose. He just needed to keep himself and E.L separate, if only for the sake of his own solitude. Barrett already messed with that enough, and yet he didn't comment more than a passing word. "Still just a maybe.

Focusing on the cute look of pleased shyness that passed over the other's face, Elias felt his expression soften again. He really couldn't stay stern with Barrett for long no matter how hard he tried. He patted him on the back half in response and half to guide him out of the way so he could gather and put the supplies in the closet once again. "Selfish huh? I think that would also make the artist very happy too to have someone there to see each and every one of his paintings," Elias hummed, his face turned away from Barrett at the moment. He turned back after placing two of the easels in their spot leaned against a wall. "But very well. It's a date."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-19-2016, 09:43 PM

Barrett grinned at Elias, "I look forward to it then, I guarantee you'll love their stuff. It's so gorgeous, I don't think you can not like their stuff." He chuckled, "But no really, I'll get you to trust me enough to see your art too." He trailed a hand of the top of the still wet canvas, careful not to get too much paint on his hand, "You do know I wouldn't violate your trust and kindness by really sneaking into your studio right?" He asked, suddenly concerned that he'd put Elias off being his friend if he joked too much. "I know you've just met me, so you really don't have much reason to believe it when I just said the opposite, but I wouldn't. Really." He smiled as he said this, attempting to sell the words off as less serious than they were. "Besides, you won't be able to resist me for long! You'll be begging to show the art to me eventually."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-20-2016, 05:55 PM

Elias huffed, a smile coming out despite his resistance. "Begging to show my art? I think you underestimate my own stubbornness," he chuckled. "You know I never show anyone. You're the first besides my own nephew who has been in the studio for years," he admitted, perhaps revealing more than he needed to right now. He'd turned serious though despite the playful smile still ghosting over his face. "But I thank you for restraining your desires for breaking and entering. Now, will you grab those last two easels for me? Do you have time to go anywhere for lunch or do you have work to get back to?" Raising one eyebrow in question, he turned to Barrett while easily swinging the drying canvas up from the wall it leaned against, holding it by an unpainted corner though he didn't mind if the paint smudged. Normally he just painted these things white again to use the next class or thew them away, but he was considering keeping this one. Even if acrylics weren't his normal paint of choice.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-21-2016, 03:09 AM

"And you underestimate mine and my charm, you won't know what hit you," Barrett grinned, he was absolutely certain that he'd get Elias to show him his art. He would't give up until he did of that he was absolutely certain. For now though, the pressing need was to get to know Elias, his ever present curiosity, making him itch to get closer and to know him better. But then, maybe it wasn't just his curiosity, and it was something about the man in front of him. For now though, he just moved the easels, considering Elias's question. He problem should head back to work, but talking to Elias was far more interesting, "I could probably squeeze in a quick lunch, I'm here on my lunch any break, be a shame not to eat anything at all, ya know?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-22-2016, 03:02 AM

"Charm..." Elias hummed like he didn't quite believe that word had anything to do with Barrett. Though in his own way, the boy was charming. He imagined if Barrett smiled right, maybe dressed in different clothes, he could be a perfect picture of charming. It just never came out quite that way. Elias shook the thought away, focusing on their conversation. "Yes, that would be a shame not to eat. The cafeteria here would be the quickest if you want to do that. I wouldn't want to cause you to fall behind on work," he murmured with a half smile. "I prefer to eat my meals at home or my favorite diner, but it's not bad for being a community center."

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 06-25-2016 at 01:26 PM..

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-23-2016, 01:03 AM

"Nah, let's go to your favorite diner," Barrett responded, "I'm not particularly keen to go back to the mind numbing projects I was facing, and I deserve something nicer than community center food for not strangling the idiots in my office this morning." The grin was fully back in place on his face as he looked over at Elias. The serious had completely left him leaving him loose and happy again, "So lead the way, old man, I'm sure the food will be awesome, and I'm starving!"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-25-2016, 01:33 PM

Elias sighed, but nodded his head after a second. "Very well, but I won't be held responsible for your lack of work ethic today." Making sure he had the last of this things, he lead the way out and down to the street. The sun warmed his back, leaving a tingling and altogether pleasant sensation that the presence of another at his side only seemed to increase. He started at a steady and brisk pace, almost forgetting that this wasn't considerate. "It's just a couple streets down past the grocer. I hope you don't mind a little walk to get there."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-26-2016, 02:54 AM

Barrett chuckled, "Nah, to be honest, even if I go back, I won't get too much done. I know what the problems are, but I can't exactly fix them while their at their computers. I'll just stay a little after everyone, get everything fixed before they come in tomorrow. Typical IT life." he kept pace with Elias, though walking a little fast given the other's naturally longer strides. "And walking's good for you, and easier to do in such a little place like this. It almost seems a waste to use the car most days. Find myself walking more often ya know." He grinned up at Elias, "I like it though, you notice more when you're moving slower, and you meet interesting people too."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-27-2016, 04:43 PM

"I see. So it's something like that," Elias hummed as they crossed a little street with only one car in sight and a father and son walking on the opposite side from them. One really did see more when they walked slower. He found his pace lightening just slightly so he could enjoy the breeze coming in from the west, lifting the hair off his neck. "I find myself often using my car for no more than groceries and moving my paintings, anything that is unpleasant to carry by hand. Ah, here we are though. Mama's Chicken- best place in town." He gestured toward the little dinner set across the street from a convenience store that looked run down, but wasn't. Pulling the door open, Elias led the way inside.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-27-2016, 11:03 PM

"The car's a waste, if I didn't need it to go back home to see family, and well, drive to places I want to explore that are too far away to walk, I'd probably sell it. I haven't driven it maybe but like once every couple of weeks since I moved here." He was smiling as he said this, no sadness on his face, he really did enjoy the walking, always finding someone to have a brief conversation with, making himself familiar to the townsfolk, especially since his fashion since didn't exactly fit the small town environment. Not that he cared, it made for easy conversation starters.

Barrett looked around the diner, smiling, "Oh, I've been here!" he exclaimed, excitement flooding into his voice. "I ate here like right after moving in and fell in love with their skillet apple pie." He flailed slightly as he spoke, collapsing into a booth once they'd picked a spot, "I haven't been back cuz I kept being too busy or finding other places to try, but I am so getting that pie today." His mouth was already salivating a bit, but he pulled out the menu to try and find something to order to actually eat, knowing Elias would disapprove if he just tried to eat dessert.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 PM

Elias shook his head, but smiled as he slid into the booth opposite Barrett. "You make it sound like you intend to eat only apple pie for lunch, but I'm glad you're happy to be here. It's refreshing after a morning of work, I suppose." He raised his eyebrow as if to challenge that Barrett had been working all morning before coming to the art class. All just harmless teasing though. The waitress who came over eyed him, clearly curious considering Elias so often didn't spend his lunches with anyone or show this kind of easy smile. It looked much the same as his usual smile, but perceptive eyes could tell the difference.

"Hey there, huns. What can I get you two today?" she drawled.

Elias smiled up at her, missing the perception in her eyes. "I'll start with a glass of tea please and whatever your soup of the day is. I'm sure it will be delightful whatever it is, Jody."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 06-30-2016, 01:55 AM

"Oh, I just might, but I figured, you'd disapprove, old man, so I'll get something that's considered actual lunch food but mostly I'm eating pie," he stuck out his tongue as he continued perusing the menu, eventually finding something somewhat small that would allow him to get the pie afterward.

He smiled up at the waitress, oblivious to her recognition of Elias, even if the elder did use her name, "I'll get a strawberry lemonade for now and whenever Elias orders his food, I'll get the soup and salad combo, soup of the day for me as well and house dressing." His voice was bright as he spoke, way more so than needed to order food. "I've gotta save room for pie after all." He grinned as he said this. Jody writing down their orders and going to put them into the system.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-01-2016, 01:40 AM

Elias sighed and rolled his eyes, but couldn't stop from smiling as Jody took the orders, then sent him a little wink. For whatever purpose he could never guess. She was always familiar and nosy so that even he found himself revealing a little more than usual to her. Once they were alone, he focused on Barrett again, trying to look disapproving. "I think I have you pretty well figured out by now, kid. Or at least to know you'll pick pie before lunch," he murmured. Barrett might be the most baffling and unpredictable person he'd met besides his nephew, but at least he was beginning to figure some things out. Tavis was one thing and Barrett was another entirely. "And it seems you know enough about me to know I'll disapprove. That's quite an honor you know."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-02-2016, 10:27 PM

"Well sweet food is just better," Barrett said, fighting the urge to stick his tongue out, instead just wrinkling his nose a little as he spoke. He rested his elbows on the table his head settling on top of his hands as he looked over at Elias. "I don't think it's a particularly hard leap to guess that you wouldn't approve of anyone eating sweets before actual food," Barrett said, not fully understanding Elias's statement but wanting to keep the conversation going, "I mean, it seems logical with the whole hermit who hides in the wood image. Plus, you didn't eat the candy I gave you the other day, I'd guess you don't much like sweets yourself if I had to guess, ya know, just logical conclusions from a couple interactions. Well that and most old men don't approve of 'kids' like me eating dessert before dinner." His voice slipped heavily back into teasing at the end of it, definitely trying to goad a reaction out of Elias as his grin grew unrepentant and somewhat challenging, though his head didn't move from his hand, also giving of a lazy, at ease, vibe to the whole statement.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-13-2016, 03:39 PM

"A strict following of social decorum matches a reclusive man of the woods?" Elias asked, one eyebrow quirked in question. The idea amused him since artists held a reputation of eccentricity and progressiveness, though Barrett still described him perfectly. "On the contrary, most people expect a degree of rebellion from me, which they seem to have in their head due only to the outward facts. And yet, many people only look that far when observing another. For example, assuming you are just a wannabe punk," he explained, a slight purposeful jab toward Barrett at the end. Though the image was far too true to be a tease. "Though did you perhaps think I did not eat the candy because its taste didn't match the flavor notes of the tea?" he hummed, falling into a real teasing tone. "It is just the kind of logic you would expect from a kid, true or not."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-19-2016, 01:10 AM

"Nah, but it does match that of an old man who doesn't see the fun in a little harmless adventure," Barrett huffed, annoyed at the jibe and at the fact that no matter how hard he tried Elias always seemed to one up him. His whole demeanor was pouty, very much that of a child denied a treat, He grumbled under his breath as his put deepened, "Who said anything about wannabe, huh?" he asked, though all the heat had gone out of his words, leaving them mostly whiny and maybe desiring approval from Elias, though he wasn't entire sure what. He huffed again, "And candy's candy, it's always good unless you've like just brushed your teeth or something," He sent a bit of a smirk at a Elias at though, though his overall demeanor was still more subdued, not really upset just, knowing he'd been beat.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-25-2016, 02:26 AM

Elias raised one eyebrow at Barrett's words. "Who says I don't see any fun in it, hm? It's just that I don't approve," he clarified. He'd falling into a round of teasing and didn't feel the least it like letting up yet. The pouty look pointed his way only served to fuel his fire. Leaned back in his seat, he crossed his arm, settling a critical look on Barrett. "You are a wannabe." He nodded his head once, accenting the words. Despite his serious tone though, there was a smile in his eyes. "No punk could ever be as excitable and cute as you, but that's no bad in itself." A smile cracked through, trying so hard to break his serious facade. A second later, he laughed at Barrett's candy comment. "But really, that's just like you!"

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 AM

"Same difference," Barret said, waving his hand at the other, dismissing that bit of the conversation as he focused a glare at the other, "I'm not cute." he bit out, though the very act of saying it showed the very opposite, as Barrett's hair flopped into his eyes has he tilted his head down, glaring at Elias through the top of his eyes. He huffed to move his bangs out of his face, "Why does everyone always call me cute?" He leaned back in the seat, arms crossed, "Like that's all I've heard my whole life, ya know, I don't want to be cute." he sighed as he said this though voice slightly defeated, but not upset, resigned.

Even as he continued pouting, he couldn't fight the grin that broke out on his face at Elias's laughter, not caring how he'd brought it out in the other, just knowing that he wanted to make the other laugh more, he was far too serious. Before he could really stop the comment, not that he probably really would have tried, he found himself saying, "You should laugh like that more often."

Last edited by Wings of Writing; 07-25-2016 at 04:13 AM..

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 AM

A weird feeling beat in Elias' heart for a second as he looked at Barrett before he dismissed it entirely. His smile turned soft and even after he dismissed the feeling, the expression persisted. "I don't think you're doing it right if you're trying not to look cute. Trying to act tough to cover it up doesn't have the effect you think it does. Is being cute really so bad though?" He tilted his head in question, leaving a stray bit of hair sliding along his neck. Once again, he found his eye drawn to the dove mark Barrett wore. By the looks of that, his mate wasn't the least bit tough either. His smile flashed again. A perfect pair.

At Barrett's last comment though, the smile fell off his face. He startled, sitting up straighter in his chair again like he just realized what they talked about all this while. He got too relaxed, too close to this person in front of him. "I don't know what you mean." His smile was tighter now, bright and perfectly practiced, but not the same. It was the look he was used to wearing though and the one he shouldn't forget.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-25-2016, 09:30 PM

"Ahhh, don't go closing off on me now," he pouting for an entirely different reason now, noticing the way his comment had caused Elias to shift back onto his stiffer mode of acting, formal and less friendly. He didn't like it in the slightest like to see Elias that way, even if he'd just met him. He wanted the other to be open to him. He was certain that Elias needed someone to talk to, even if he didn't want to admit it, and besides, it wasn't like Barrett was gonna give Elias much say in the matter. "Like, we're friends, right? Or heading that way. You can be comfortable around me. I won't share any of your secrets or anything." He whispered the last bit conspiratorily, trying to lighten the mood, afraid he'd completely ruined it.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-26-2016, 02:02 AM

Elias smiled, a perfect picture of the same friendliness he'd been showing Barrett, but it wasn't the same. Just close enough that most people never noticed. "I don't know what you're talking about. Haven't I been teasing you for the entire length of our lunch? I figure that's probably all we have time for since you have work, do you not?" he asked, voice mild. "I'm not closing off. We're friends." Another smile. "You don't have to worry about that. Besides, I don't have any secrets for you to tell." As he settled back in his chair again, he couldn't help but think that was the farthest thing from the truth. He had more secrets than he knew what to do with, other than keep them secret.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-27-2016, 12:48 AM

"But it's not the same, is it?" Barrett muttered, under his breath, as he tilted his head down, the determination to get Elias to really trust him growing stronger, knowing that as much as he teased, a friendship with him would be interesting. After all, Elias had turned out to be the most interesting man in town; outside of Barrett of course.

However, he sighed, and then turned his full wattage grin on Elias, letting the other change his subject, "Ah man, why'd you have to go and remind me about work?" he griped, playfully, "I was beginning to think I could get out of going back today, but fineeee, let's go pay and I'll go back to fixing idiots' computers." With that, he stood, reluctantly, though his face was relaxed and walked toward the front, knowing Elias was following him. "Next time, I'm showing you that artist's work though, okay? So be prepared to have your mind blown!"