The Mystical Spoon
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to The Mystical Spoon Send a message via MSN to The Mystical Spoon

Old 06-16-2007, 10:37 PM

She slumped against the grimy, soot-blackened wall, blood streaming freely down her face from her nose and the corners of her mouth. They're coming! The voice inside her head suddenly piped up, she had learnt to trust it, it always seemed to be right. She groaned and lifted herself up painfully, and slowly stumbled further down the alleyway, clinging to the wall. The smell of stale urine filled her nose, and darkness pressed in from all sides, threatening to lead her astray, but she pressed on, driven by her fear and will to survive.

she stumbled further into the gloom, losing all sense of herself, falling into filthy puddles and picking herself up, hoping to evade those who would be her captors. She stepped into an unseen rut and fell, for what felt like the hundredth time. This time, however, she couldn't get up, her battered body refused to obey and she sobbed quietly in the dark.

When she awoke, her whole body ached, and when she opened her eyes, she found colours and shaped waxed and waned, making her dizzy. She closed her eyes for a moment, and reopened them, her vision was bit fuzzy, but she hoped it would return to normal soon. Slowly, she pulled herself upwards, taking a few wobbly steps forward and promptly fell down again. Well now, isn't this a fine mess you've got us in? She gasped pitifully, and mentally besought the voice for help.

She thought of when she first heard him, for it was undeniably a male voice. She was working late in the office, an ambitious 24 year old lawyer, a strong-willed career-woman, ready to take on the world. She was about to pack up for the night, ready to retire to her luxurious Kensington apartment, inherited from her father. She stepped out of the office, towards her sleek black Lexus, coat buttoned up against the biting December wind. A particularly brutal wind lashed at her face and then she heard it.

I am Felix. The voiced hissed softly. I'm here to help. For we all need help in times of trouble. Mmhmm "But I'm not in any trouble," she replied rather angrily, and whirled to face who ever this "Felix" person was. However, no one was there. In heeere! Your mind! the voice seemed to be mocking her. She ignored it, put it down to being to tired, and drove home, only to find her house broken into and ransacked, her perfect life shattered.

The Mystical Spoon
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to The Mystical Spoon Send a message via MSN to The Mystical Spoon

Old 06-17-2007, 04:54 PM

She stood in the doorway, transfixed at the doorway, mouth moving yet uttering no sounds. For a long moment she stood like this, until she heard the soft, delighted giggles of Felix. Are you not in trouble yet? No? You soon will be! She picked her way into the living room, picking up the shattered remnants of ornaments, dismayed to see her pleasant carpet ruined by muddy smudges, and the wallpaper had been slashed and ripped in places.

Her eyes welled with tears at the sight of all the damage. However could she fix this? She cleared debris from the couch and threw herself onto it, suddenly drained. "First things first, I must call the police, the insurance company...Who would do this to me?" she tried to keep her tone brisk, reassuring herself that everything would be fine. "Everything will be fine. Just fine." she took deep breaths, steadying herself. "Just fine."
Oh really? the voice said lazily, as if to break her down. "Yes!" She snapped, and the voice made a sound that might have been stifled laughter, but she ignored him. Perhaps she was under too much stress, maybe she needed some time off, she told herself.

With a pale shaking hand, she reached for the phone and dialled the number of the insurance company. She waited anxiously for them to pick up, then getting only an automated menu, she keyed in the sequence that would allow her to speak to the 24 hour emergency line. "He-hello?" she mumbled, once the ringing had stopped. She was relieved to be greeted with a human voice, asking for her name, house number and account number. "Oh, oh yes," she gasped out, "Miss Read, number 105" she then rattled off her account number. she waited a moment ,but she heard the voice of the operator on the other end; "I'm sorry, be we can't find and "Read" under that address. In fact, it says here it doesn't exist".

"W-what!? That's impossible! Could you try again please?" her tone was desperate, and the woman on the other end of the phone sighed, and muttered affirmatively.
" Again, I'm so sorry Miss, but according to our systems, you're not registered with us, perhaps you have the wrong number?" The woman suggested gently.
"Yes, the...wrong...number. Thank you" She hung up, feeling crushed and panicked. Oh dear, what on earth could be the problem? Tee-hee! "I just got the wrong number, that's all!" but deep in her mind she knew she hadn't, she'd phoned that same number, many times.

She sat there, hugging a cushion, pondering what had just happened and dialled the police station.
"'Ello?" The voice on the other end had a thick accent, but seemed friendly enough.
"I'd like to report a break in." at this point, she was almost in tears as she sobbed out her address.
"Oh dear now calm down love, don't you worry now," the voice had softened, became reassuring. "Just you 'ang on a minute, "Whaddaya think you're trying to pull!? The old place has been empty for years! Damn prank callers" the voice had suddenly become indignant, and hung up abruptly. Hmm, yes, everything does seem to be just fine.

She flung the phone down, and cried into her cushion. " You did this!" she wailed, "Why are you here?"
I've told you before. the voice replied in a tone that one would use to an exasperating child. To help.