Mister Dignity
I flop like a boss

Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 PM

I really suggest Christopher Paolini's books if you are into fantasy and adventure, which I believe quite a few people are on here. Specifically read Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and Inheritance in that order. It's a series, and a very well written one at that.

Cudibrium
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-26-2012, 03:12 AM

I strongly recommend the book The Help because it is about racism, which everyone should have a good grasp on. It is not only a third world issue, but a first world one too :3

Snowberry
Annihilator of Cookies

Old 05-28-2012, 12:00 AM

I strongly recommend The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. A great book about the life of a woman who has made a significant impact in the industry of medicine and hardly anyone knows about her.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 AM

My recommendations would have to include: She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, My Sister's Keeper, The Kite Runner, In the Time of the Butterflies, Harry Potter

Exchange
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 06-21-2012, 08:34 PM

Definitely read Game of Thrones by George R. Martin. The series is so good.

Gizensha
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-30-2012, 10:49 PM

I'd recommend the entirety of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga, It's all fantastic with a fair amount of it that's utterly brilliant. Quite difficult to describe, however. Character focused military sci-fi is the focus of the early works, while later becoming more politically centred as Miles Vorkosigan's life and career progresses.

Also the first six of the Wild Cards books, which is edited by George R. R. Martin and written by a fair amount of authors. (I... Hear the series goes a bit wonky at some point in it, but the first six are fairly solid, and I have no clue when it goes wonky due to not being able to find the seventh) - Alternate universe where shortly following the Second World War an alien bioweapon infected the world, with New York being the centre of the infection, granting death to most, hideous mutations to some, and to a few super powers, who contracted it. The treatment of McCarthyism in it especially well handled, but it's mostly worth reading for the characters.

Loveslust
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-01-2012, 04:49 AM

I would highly recommend anything by Brandon Sanderson, seriously....ANYTHING! The Mistborn Trilogy is easily my favorite from him, with Warbreaker and The Way of Kings 2nd and 3rd respectfully. I am also a huge Robert Jordan fan, so with Sanderson finishing The Wheel of Time, I can honestly say I am one happy boy!

bubbleteadoll
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 AM

One of my favorite book is The Secret of Grave Robber. :)
I highly recommend it!

Kiba_Ryuun
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 AM

Anyone who is interested in lesbian erotica set in pre-WW1 England should read Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters. It's a long read and with a somewhat happy ending. It has imperfect, believable characters set in realistic situations. Definitely worth a shot ^^

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM

For those looking for a good fantasy read (and a newer one to boot!), I recommend a lovely little series called The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron. She's a newer author with quite a bit of talent. The characters are absolutely lovely, the development it the books is wonderful and, though the first one seems a touch cliche in terms of theme, the overall premise is surprisingly original. I've never seen magic handled in quite the way that Aaron handles it, which was a nice change of pace. That and anything that offers me a few laughs along the way is always a plus in my book.

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 AM

i see so many fantasy recommendations but no Raymond E Feist on there! (i have said him before but its probably quite a few pages ago now so i thought i'd add him again for new posters!)

He hasn't just created one amazing and unique world, he creates several. There's rift wars, magicians, epic battles, all the fantasy creatures you'd expect and loads more. I keep comparing it to lotr but i shouldn't. But by GOD he's good. Infact, he's an absolute genius. Loosely based off dungeons and dragons worlds he created it with help from friends from a roleplay group back in college/uni. Absolutely amazing series. They do tend to follow on from each other with time skips between series but there ARE standalone books and series that you don't have to read in order. But i wouldn't risk any of them till you've at least read the first book as it sets up alot of the world/story for you so you don't get confused!

The first book Magician is actually two books and it covers ALOT so some parts are slow, but its so full of story you'd have to be a crappy fantasy fan to put it down before finish!

he also collaborated with other authors for a few books, including Janny wurts for a full trilogy (empire series), which i will be starting as soon as i've finished a janny wurt book so i know more about her style :)

So do it, read some! I'm on book 8 now, and i CANNOT get enough.

The Series - as Named | The Official Raymond E. Feist Website check that out for book synopsis' ^_^

lizrd356
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 PM

okay, i will see if my library has some of his books. looking now.........okay i put Flight of the nighthawks on my hold list. thank you i was looking for a new book to read.

i recommend Murder Can Depress Your Dachshund (Desiree Shapiro Mystery #14) by selma eichler if you like murder mysteries

mochi-PANda
Teavu

Old 11-09-2012, 12:40 AM

Recently I picked up Karen Marie Moning's Darkfever series (there's five novels altogether, each roughly $9). If you're into crazy, homicidal Fae versus an ass-kicking American/Irish chick, and a shit ton of NSFW content then this is the series for you.

Next on my list is the hilariously morbid Croak about teenage Grim Reapers and their (underground) role in our world. Those books are written by Gina Damico.

Third is a series I picked up yesterday on a whim in our local bookshop and halfway in to it I've determined that I will definitely purchase the following books in the series. It's Justine Larbalestier's Magic or Madness.

Fourth are short stories contained in one book. Two I've taken a fondess to lately are Zombies VS. Unicorns (which is pure genius and contains many popular Fantasy/Sci-Fi names in the literary industry), and Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions.

Yup! Check them out if you're able, these are some fantastic reads that I have thoroughly enjoyed. :3

Maha-Aamir
Meow!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:24 PM

i recommend everyone to read The Alchemist at least once in their lives by Paulo Coelho because it is a metaphorically told spiritual journey we all go through as we live our lives... so its a great help in hard times... it has taught me alot... "your treasure is where your heart is " :D

Grumman_Goose
Dainty

Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM

Two Brothers by Ben Elton, I just finished it and it was an amazing read covering the life of Jew's in Nazi Germany, with one brother of Jewish blood and the other of "Aryan" Blood, but they don't know until politics gets involved. I read the first two chapters on the Google Play store and then bought the book after finishing it. This is a brilliant book that I would highly recommend.

Kanna_Karasu_Kamio
A Mediocre Artist
Send a message via MSN to Kanna_Karasu_Kamio

Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 AM

Sadly, there's a review by Stephanie Meyers on the cover of my copy [size=1"(which turned out to be like the opposite of the book's plot, I think she just watched Origins and thought she knew the rest of the story)[/size] but I found The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Foster to be really good.
If you're looking for something more sophisticated, then a good read would be The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

Aldetha
True fan that provides cool air ...

Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM

I currently liking Sherlock Holmes cases so I recommend you all Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's :>

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 PM

I've just finished up The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and it's jumped straight to the top of my favorite books list, which is saying something, considering the fact that my room has more bookshelves with sci-fi/fantasy books on them than the so named section of my local library. That being said, I'd love to describe this book in loving detail to draw you all in, but there's little that can be said about it that won't sound half-mad or gloriously inadequate. It has a certain charm, a certain indescribably humanity to it, and some of the most beautiful writing that I've ever seen. What Rothfuss has created may well be the next great piece of fantasy literature. Give it a read, you won't regret it.

...and now I'm off to start the sequel!

High Voltage Tightrope
Part-time Burrito

Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 AM

If you enjoy fantasy and adventure, I would HIGHLY recommend The Chaos Walking Series, by Patrick Ness.

It's set in the future, so far in the future that we've colonized other planets. The story follows a boy who grows up in a town on this planet, and this planet has a germ that makes it so all the men's thoughts are out loud. They don't have to speak it. It's just out there, audible, as soon as they think it.
In addition to that, there are aliens, two powerful sides that eventually do battle, and just everything is amazing okay.
Oh, also in his town he is the last boy, becoming a man, and there are no women. Which will be explained and OH WOW.

It's science fiction, I think, but it's not so much full of gadgets and technology. Since they've only just colonized this planet it's set more in like a farmlike, rural town.

Anyway, it is amazing.

First book in the series is The Knife of Never Letting Go, then The Ask and the Answer, then Monsters of Men.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maha-Aamir View Post
i recommend everyone to read The Alchemist at least once in their lives by Paulo Coelho because it is a metaphorically told spiritual journey we all go through as we live our lives... so its a great help in hard times... it has taught me alot... "your treasure is where your heart is " :D
I second this recommendation. I found the book to be pretty impressive albiet simple. But you know, sometimes the best things are simple.

jellyfaylene
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 AM

I'm getting back into reading, finally, and I was wondering what books I should add to my list when I get to the library next.

I've already read Little Big Man, Thomas Berger; The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde; and Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk. As long as it's an easier level of reading, I'll most likely enjoy it. I like all kinds of genres.

Thanks for any suggestions, guys!!!!

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Well my book suggestions are mostly going to be Fantasy. Try the Rangers Apprentice series, if you like castles and kings, and wars, and battles, stuff like that.

Something that would be good for the magical side is the Mortal Instruments series, they are coming out with the first movie this month, and its a really go series so far. And if you like older Victorian types then try reading it's spinoff series the Infernal Devices.

Then if you want one of those vampire series that's so popular, but you don't want to be a Twilight poser, then try out the Vampire Academy series, and if you've read that then it's spinoff series Bloodlines will not disappoint.

Now I've saved the best for last, if you ever saw of read the hunger games then you will defiantly like this series! Even if you haven't read the hunger games you will still love it. Its called Divergent and it was one of those books that when you start reading it you cannot put it down til you're done. It's EPIC, and the second one Insurgent is EPIC too and they are coming out with a third one soon!

Well I hope I added to your list of books! And I have tons more where that came from, I work in a library so I'm always up to date with books. :) Happy Reading!

jellyfaylene
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 AM

I've been told the Hunger Games series is amazing. My best friend read it and now he's obsessed with the movies. Haha. I've already ready the Twilight series, though I REFUSE to watch the movies, so I'll probably look into the Vampire Academy series. Thanks so much!! =]

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 PM

jellyfaylene:

I've gone ahead and merged your thread with our current Recommendations sticky. Some more people will be able to help you in here and hopefully you'll get some ideas for your next read!

Zimmerdale
To give a shit or not give a shi...

Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 AM

Can someone recommend me some good books where the female character hates the male character but secretly loves him and he knows it so it's kinda something like a denial romance?

Or something along the lines of forbidden romance? Like something student/teacher-esq (like Pretty Little Liar's Aria storyline)...?