Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 AM

This might sound like an odd request, but I'm looking for a mentor in the art of creative writing. :D Seriously, I want to become a better writer, perfectionist that I am, and I feel that the best way to do that is to find a coach of sorts. Basically, I'm looking for someone who will give me prompts, the reason for which is two-fold, and critique my writings on the prompt. Really, my goals with the prompts are to hone my writing skill and become better, and to build up the discipline needed to write longer pieces to completion. If it sounds like you might be interested, feel free to pm me, or ping me here. :3 Thanks in advance, even if you're just reading this. ;)

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM

lol, I'm in the same situation. I have a tendency to restart my work because I don't like the way that it's being written. I have a whole bunch of novels that I want to accomplish but I never can sit down to finish them.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 AM

Angelo: I've been practicing the art of writing for twenty one years. If you're still searching for someone to help you, or coach you in any way, I'm always up for anything! Assistance, joint-writing, test-runs, whatever. Just ping me back here if you accept, eh?

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-23-2012, 03:24 AM

Tachigami:

I'd be happy to have your help! :3 To be honest, I had kind of forgotten about this. :sweat: Do you think we could start with plot? I've been toying with a few story ideas, but I'm not so sure what direction to take them. Two of them are fanfiction, while the third isn't, if that makes a difference or not. So, thanks again! XD

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 AM

Well, as long as you're still in need of assistance, I suppose the thread can be up indefinitely.

So, plot. Sometimes it's a good thing if you just throw caution into the wind and not have a specific plot idea in mind when you begin a story, so you can be randomly spontaneous and surprise yourself. When it comes to fanfiction versus original, I don't think it matters either way. So long with the fanfiction, if you stick to the true nature of the story and don't alter it to something that it's not, you can work well with it.

Is it anything specific with an original plot you're having trouble with?

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-23-2012, 03:41 AM

I see. :) That sort of makes sense to me. I tend to do the same thing in roleplays as well, so it shouldn't be that hard then. That was really it with plot for now. I'll probably have more questions later considering that this was kind of sudden. :sweat:

But you did give me an idea. What do you do about writer's block? I know that I have problems with that during roleplays as well, so that would be a great help. :3

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:44 AM

Of course. Just ping me around, I don't mind them at all! Wait, you roleplay? Perhaps you'd find interest in my signature! I'm... needing a few people...

Writer's block? I choose a character, then begin a free-write. This doesn't necessarily lead anywhere, I just start typing with no real intention in mind, typing whatever comes to mind. Sometimes it really jogs my ideas, and other times, it gives me more and more in ideas for different free-standing stories. Or, better yet, I write a drabble! That really helps.

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 AM

I'll do that right after this reply! :D

Okay, I'll be sure to try that next time. With my job now, I might even be able to think up some new stuff while I work. Carts give plenty of time for thought. :P Seriously though, thanks for the help. Do you happen to have any general tips as well? About anything? :3

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:01 AM

I hope you like it! It'd be nice if this one wasn't a flop like most are. I'm lucky like that, though, so I don't have that high of expectations.

You're quite welcome! I'm glad to have been of assistance. And you never really know where inspiration will come from! Keep searching.
General tips? Well, don't be deflated when you have writer's block. It happens to anyone, even the best of writers. When you do have a block, though, focus on something else. Do anything you think you need to do so you can get past it. Double and triple check your work. Even if you think you've caught all the errors, there's always something that slipped your search!

Also, take critique as it's meant to be taken: As a tool to help yourself along, and change where you need to change.

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-23-2012, 04:10 AM

I think it looks interesting. :D Not to mention unique. I'm 98.34% certain that it's the only thread on this site that uses a gamemaster.

That's actually one of my problem areas. :sweat: I tend to lose motivation rather quickly if I'm not careful. So that's an gem right there, Sensei! :lol:

Speaking of checking, do you think that you would mind being a beta reader? I know that there are various mistakes that pop up that writers don't see until someone points them out. And even critique. :P I understand about criticism. Though destructive criticism is just annoying. It's rarely helpful.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:19 AM

Oh, really? I didn't think I'd noted a gamemaster type RP anywhere. I was playing a scenario game and just came up with it, and mulled it over a while... I've never been a part of a group RP in any way really. So it's something of a... trial...

That's why you just take a break for a while. Write little ideas and thoughts and you'll regain your motivation after a while.

Oh yes! I'd love to be a beta reader! That sounds amazing. I always go with criticism that makes sure to target and work through a problem area, especially, and just note various misspellings or punctuation usages. Destructive criticism is best ignored.

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-23-2012, 04:27 AM

I'm working on the profile now. :P Is there anything specific you want in it? I can also be a bit over-descriptive as well, though I don't think I went overboard. It's just a bit longer than the other two is all. :sweat:

Okay! :3 Now I have to get working for sure. :yes: Is there any preference to what you read? Or order? I'll probably rotate them through depending on what ideas come my way. I have a feeling that that will help me keep it fresh, though we'll have to wait and see to know for sure.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:32 AM

It can be as long or short as you think necessary! Include a picture if you like, or leave one off. I keep forgetting I have to make a character in place for the killer. I'll do that now...

Well, in all honesty I really don't read, write, or live any type of romance. It's really just lost on me, so I can't appreciate it as much as others. You might want me to avoid that... Anything else, I really don't mind! Other than fan-fictions.... The only fanfics I read, or even write, is MLP fanfics... .... Heh...
It'll be worth the wait, I'm sure. Just make sure to get my attention!

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-23-2012, 04:38 AM

I don't really get most of that stuff either, so I tend to avoid it as well. :3 And I actually remembered an idea for a story or two that I had thought up a while ago. They never came to anything, but maybe I'll try and actually do them this time. I hope I don't disappoint you with them. :sweat: By the way, is pming okay with you? I tend to like it better than pinging, but that's just me.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:46 AM

I don't think you'll disappoint me. Besides, you're still young, plenty of time to figure out what kind of writing you fit into best of all! I've found common ground with most generas, but few people manage that. Focus on one at a time.

PMs are fine with me! In fact, I tend to prefer those. Makes things more... one-on-one, how you say...

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-23-2012, 05:04 AM

Okay then. :D I went ahead and posted, but I'm going to head to bed tonight as well.

Thanks for the encouragement though! XD That's what we young people really need. I'll be sure to talk to you tomorrow if you're on, alright? :3

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:13 AM

Okay then! I might follow suit after I get a reply for the three bits up.

I'll definitely be on, and you're quite welcome. I hate to see others squander their gifts or ignore them completely when they have real potential.