Stormy1
Not as on as much but still arou...
Send a message via AIM to Stormy1 Send a message via MSN to Stormy1 Send a message via Yahoo to Stormy1

Old 11-18-2008, 02:18 AM

Haha, so I brought Syrup to read at school today and everyone who went past my desk picked it up. The conversations tended to go:

Person: Syrup...?
Me: ^_^ Yep it's good.
Friend: The book or actual Syrup?
M: O.o both...
Person: *reads inside cover* SEX PARTY'S!?! -says loud so that everyone turns to look-
M: *snatches book back while blushing and slides out of seat onto flood to hide from teachers glare.*
Class and F: *points and laughs*

XD But I thank you for plugging the book so much Cherry, tis been really good.
*Bows at C for recommending a good book to the picky Stormy with out knowing so*

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-18-2008, 02:39 AM

Stormy - xD at people reading inappropriate bits.
That actually reminds me of a blog post that the author wrote on his site. He was reading a book on an airplane and some little girl looked over his shoulder at his while he happened to be on a particular smutty page and started asking her mom about it and stuff. xD
People always tend to look over your shoulder at the worst possible moment. >>

And I'm glad you're enjoying it!
I know what you mean - I'm picky too. I'm not interested in any book that isn't going to impress me. I feel like I wasted time if I read a book that's only mediocre or worse - bad. So if I have doubts about the quality of a book, I just don't read it.
I'm probably missing out on a lot by doing that... but I'm also saving myself a lot of time. xD Sometimes you do have to judge a book by its cover a little bit. Literally.

Stormy1
Send a message via AIM to Stormy1 Send a message via MSN to Stormy1 Send a message via Yahoo to Stormy1

Old 11-18-2008, 03:28 AM

C- XD yeah people always look over my shoulder because I tend to have a different book all the time.

I'm extremely picky, which my mom hates cause then she can't just find a book in the genre that I tend to read cause I'll wind up hating him. She's always coming home with book titles her co-workers suggest , I'll look them up and read what they are about and tell her that I'm not interested. She's learn now to ask me books that I want that I've read before before buying something. I too judge books by the cover, if the cover is interested looking I pick it up. Even if the title is interesting I will pick it up, but if the book's summary doesn't get me hooked I wont read it.
Which is why I picked up Syrup. The flap made me laugh my arse off. : D

(If none of those sentence make sense I apologize, I'm really tired and my brain isn't working anymore. )

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 AM

Yeah, I tend to look books up before getting them, too.
If I start reading a book and don't like it, I won't read it. But I won't pick up another book, either. It throws a wrench in the whole system. So I just try to stay away from books that don't look really good.

What was on the flap for Syrup? On my copy it has a plot summary, but it's not terribly interesting looking.

Stormy1

Old 11-18-2008, 04:01 AM

Yeah, the only time I don't look up a book before checking it out at the Library is when I have nothing to do and can take my time at the L and not have to worry I'm taking to long.

The flap starts off kinda like the first panel but different. You've read the first panel, the whole "I want to be famous..." part so I'll skip it...

Quote:
....Michael Holloway's Steps To Success: 1) The first thing you need is a pretentious name. "Michael" is no good. Way to generic. Would coke call a new product "Cola"? No, of course not. Learn from the experts. You can choose something unusual, like "fysh" or "onion Spoons." If you're not that imaginative, you can add a letter, like "Siimon" or "Maxx." Or just go for something that sounds cool...like Scat. 2) Next, you need to get rich. Really rich. And for that you need a million-dollar idea- like an idea for the coolest new soda in fifty years. But don't worry; imaginations is optional: where you're going, ideas are brought, borrowed and stolen.
Yeah, that won me over : D

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-18-2008, 04:34 AM

Ooh, that does make it sound much more interesting than what mine does.

Stormy1

Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM

XD
Finished it today.
HIGH LIGHT --> I just thing that its weird that 6 tells Scat that shes a Lesbian in the beginning and then goes " I was in love with from the beginning" or something like that.
But I love the names. Scat, 6, @ <--I lol'd at that one. The names are just...weird..and cool. XD

((XD my sister is screaming her head off because its now snowing.))

Last edited by Stormy1; 11-18-2008 at 10:18 PM..

Bishielurfer
Happily Unorthodox
Send a message via MSN to Bishielurfer

Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Careful Stormy...I wanna read it too, and you're getting to dangerously close to spoilers. :P

Stormy1

Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 PM

O.o I'm sorrrrry Lurfer!!
I fixed it XD

Bishielurfer
Happily Unorthodox

Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 PM

XD It's fine, just letting you know. I know a couple other people in the thread are planning on reading it, too, sooo...

Stormy1

Old 11-18-2008, 11:38 PM

Yeah, I know, I apologize. I forget things really easy so it totally flew over my head that other people have it on their to read list. ^^;;
That and when I wrote what I wrote I was watching NCIS and laughing my arse off thus not really playing attention.

Last edited by Stormy1; 11-18-2008 at 11:40 PM..

Bishielurfer
Happily Unorthodox

Old 11-18-2008, 11:39 PM

XD I think we all do that when we get excited about a new book. I hate it when I've seen or read something my friends haven't yet, so I have to keep it all bottled up or else they get mad at me for ruining it. *pouts*

Stormy1

Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 PM

Yeah I do it a lot, but I tend to ask my friends if I can spoil something for them which usally makes them more amped to get the book. Unless the book is Twilight or Harry Potter then they tell me to shut it or die XD

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-18-2008, 11:44 PM

Stormy - If you still want to talk about Syrup without spoiling it for anyone, you can PM me. ^^
Also, since you enjoyed it, I'd recommend another book of his, "Company." I finished it this past weekend.
It's a little less funny, and it's longer, but it's still a good book. :)

Stormy1

Old 11-19-2008, 12:05 AM

Yeah, I'll probley check out some of his other books because of the fact that I did like this one. I need another author to become obesse with while waiting for other books to come out. I'll probley check out some John Green ones while I'm at it. I'm not sure I can keep rereading books like I am now XD

But At the moment I have to get into Huck Fin for my English class, otherwise I'll fail like I did with the Scarlet letter and I can't have that again. Going from a high B to a low D nearly killed me.>.<

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 AM

Ouch! Yeah, definitely read Huck Finn first!

Bishielurfer
Happily Unorthodox

Old 11-19-2008, 03:56 AM

I did not like Scarlet letter. It was hard to read, and rather dull.
Huck Finn's a good book. :3 I'm sure you'll like it.

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 11-19-2008, 05:18 PM

I'm reading a book called Halting State because the library catalogue didn't take too kindly to me insulting it and decided to be broken on Saturday. So I ended up with a book by an author called Stross because I was looking for an author called Stroud and it just happened to catch my eye. -_-

Stormy1

Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishielurfer View Post
I did not like Scarlet letter. It was hard to read, and rather dull.
Huck Finn's a good book. :3 I'm sure you'll like it.
I read like the first 3 pages of SL and gave up, it was dull. Huck Finn I'm like a lot, I read a lot of it during school today.

Thoth Star
(・・^...

Old 11-19-2008, 09:04 PM

@cherry: Yeah, I always loved the Huck finn adventures as a child... Such a good book!

@bishie: I agree that scarlett letter is harder to read... but I also thought it was a good book, but definitely not as good as huck finn. *nod*

@magenta: You never know... stross might be a writer. *shrugs*
I sometimes randomly grab books at the library without looking at the author, because its good to spread your horizon of authors every now and than...

`Kitami
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Send a message via MSN to `Kitami

Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 PM

The Scarlet Letter, so far, bores me. Dx
I've tried to read it like, three times....I get maybe half-ish through it, and get bored. Its just dull to me. >.>

But I feel like I have to read it. My mom's friend gave me the book, because she's going blind and she can't see to read things hardly at all anymore. The book is like, bound in leather, with gold etching on the binding, and a silk ribbon as a bookmark. The pages are gold-etched. o.o;;
It just seems so special. D: Like its wrong to let it sit on my bookshelf and never touch it. >.<;

Thoth Star
(・・^...

Old 11-20-2008, 04:47 AM

Mmm, that's how that one french novel was like for me... I forget the title, but its about that man who stole the bread for his sister's children and ended up going to prison for many yrs...
I only got into that book after the 10th chapter when the main character, a young girl who was an orphan, entered the scene... Many old books are like that. It takes time to appreciate them.

I understand what you mean, kitty... but its hard to force yourself to read something thats boring. I bought this one book I thought would be interesting, but in reality its bored me sooooo... I never finished it. ><

Aislin
*^_^*

Old 11-20-2008, 06:46 AM

Les Miserables!!

*calms down*

:yes: You're thinking Les Miserables. Victor Hugo. A wonderful story, really, and the theatre production is breathtaking.

@Kita: I know what you mean by feeling obligated to read it. Every leatherbound book I've ever received has called to me in the same way.

Good luck with trudging through it!

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-20-2008, 04:11 PM

I've finally updated my reading list to include the last five books I finished. Nearly all of them were for school. :sweat:

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-20-2008, 04:36 PM

I'm thinking that I'm going to lower my goal. I've got 17 or 18 books finished, and I have to read 50 before January? >_O
I think 25 is more reasonable.