sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 12-25-2014, 03:55 PM

If Adelmar hadn't been trained since early childhood to keep a calm expression, no matter if you were dying of laughter, tears or embarrassment, she would have probably cracked and at least grinned. Instead she gave a tiny, polite smile and let the man deal with the situation. Watching Mannik struggle with comprehending the younger girl's affections and then to maintain some sort of control over the situation was amusing and like a suddenly given breath of fresh air from Above after all the grim and painful she had went through in the past two days.

When Franny left, woman looked at her captor and spoke in conversational tone: "Smart girl, to defend her rights to her prize like that." Perhaps he'd take it more a jab than she intended but it wasn't like Adelmar really cared. In truth, the fact that Mannik was desired as future husband and target of the girls' first blossoming feelings spoke in volumes how much he was appreciated in Below. At least that's how she took it and there was little reason to doubt she was right. After all, Commander had been truly glad to see him return and trusted him to be capable of returning, truly deeply hoped he would.

As they headed back to Commander's home, the faint glitter of laughter had long since faded away from Adelmar however. She thought who wishes for her return to Above, what is her own fiance doing. Probably venting his anger out on something, most likely servants and guards. And arguing with his parents about how to handle this. Suddenly, she unbearably wished that he'd wrap his arm around her shoulders and boastfully tell her yet another party story. Just a bit of human touch, just a moment away from here and being empty place on which so much rests upon.

Because even if she was overrating her importance to her family's estate, these people believed, wished that she would be mean of survival to them. And only tiny part of the girl believed Hadars would provide Below with what they desired in exchange for her. And even if they did, there surely would be some kind of trick, something that would eventually lash back at the inhabitants of Below. She hoped the children wouldn't be the ones to suffer.

Still, little of this reflected on her face and as they descended the stairs, soon to meet with Commander, she tried to imagine various ways the conversation with Hadars could go. Adelmar decided to vouch for people of Below and their hospitality, as much as she could. Adel had little diplomatic effect on the current leaders of Seventh but Val perhaps could be persuaded to be more lenient, once she soothed his anger. If he was even present for the debate, that is.

If Mannik chose to speak with Imhoff about leaving his teacher's job, she'd get a sudden idea and have a thing or two to say.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 12-25-2014, 05:47 PM

The soldier had resorted to glaring at the ceiling, his arms crossed in front of his chest. When Adelmar spoke, however, he glanced to her. Surprise flickered on his face before he was able to mask it. He wasn't sure if she was snapping at him, but it didn't seem like it. So, Mannik tried a rather stupid joke. He shrugged, and posed. "I'm a catch."

The funny was over just a moment later, as the children were delivered to their homes. Then it was off to Commander Imhoff's. Mannik was his usual brooding self, although he kept glancing at the woman he'd snatched from Above. Why was she always so calm? Didn't she realize what was happening today?

He sighed, and pounded on the door. When a curt 'Open' filled the air, Mannik obeyed and slid into the tiny apartment. He began speaking right away. "This isn't working. I don't have clothes for her, and I'm low on food, and I had to pat her down! She needs suitable lodgings! That aren't with me!"

The red headed woman raised an eyebrow, glancing at the man she'd adopted as her son. "Excuse me?"

"Er, uhm. Please. She can't be comfortable there. She needs to be with another female...er...please..."

The Commander looked to Adelmar. "And you, are you comfortable with Mannik, or would you like different lodgings?"

While she waited for the female's answer, she led the way out of her small apartment, moving down the hallway. They moved into a larger room that was clearly used for meetings. Mannik had glanced at Adelmar, waiting for her to speak, and then rushing on to more. "And another thing. I'm a soldier! Why am I still teaching? Have you found another teacher yet? I can't do this. Franny said she was-" Mannik shook his head, and scowled. "Can't do it."

The Commander seemed to be used to these rants, and rolled her eyes as Mannik continued. She moved to the middle of the room, peering at a ComPad, the larger version or a SociPad.

"Well, Miss Winslawa...from here, we will be our to communicate our needs. We need you here in case they wish to see you alive, however, if all goes according to plan, you shouldn't have to speak. Is there anything you would like to say?" She pointedly ignored Mannik, who scowled.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 12-25-2014, 09:35 PM

Adelmar silently watcher young soldier's outburst and wondered how it was that there could be two such unlikely sides to him. One was cold blooded killer, vicious and relentless. The man that had put a cold gun to her temple, told her that she was valuable for trade even dead. And then this man who was nervous and awkward, suddenly not much older than her, someone who would pat her back when she cried. All the people she knew, no matter how good actors they were or how complex their natures happened to be, didn't show such distinctly different behaviors. Was this how her grandfather was, back in Wislawa glory days? Or perhaps his father, the one who had iron tight grip on power but her grandfather described to be loving family man, also kind but strict to citizens of the city?

She was brought out of her reverie by question directed at her and young woman honestly pondered the answer briefly. Finally, she rolled her shoulders in slight shrug. "I do not know if my stay here will be long and I am in no position to complain, nor I have reason to, about how Mr. Mannik has treated me and I doubt anyone could offer me much more comfortable lodging, so I don't particularly care where you keep me. I would appreciate a fresh set of clothes however." Her voice as always, aside after the nightmares was composed and she spoke as if to her own inner music. When Mannik mentioned his position as teacher, her eyelashes lowered for a moment, shadowing her gaze before she spoke up.

Her tone seemed to gain even more confidence and give of a sense of power that perhaps didn't even belong with her, yet it was not forceful. "I must admit, I had my doubts when I learned Mr. Mannik worked as teacher, but now that I have seen him in action, I find him very fit for teaching this subject. Both boys and girl wish to impress him with their efforts - for different reasons, of course - and as he thinks he does not know how to deal with children, he is firm, but not mean, and therefor doesn't spoil them. Unless you have someone of similar qualities and popularity to replace him, he remains the best option." Here, Adelmar paused and looked at her captor, smile on her lips and slight teasing glint in her eyes. "Take my review as early parting gift, Mr. Mannik," she told him and then looked at red haired woman with now serious gaze, "and do with it what you will, Dame Commander."

This was the most she had spoken ever since being brought Below and, in truth, also before that. Now and then, Above she had chance to exercie political and diplomatic speech skills as Zenon's fiancee, but otherwise, ever since school, she was required to remain quiet. Well, she debated with Zenon, but it was different and he often didn't really hear her. Not that these two certainly would either.

At commander's explanation she nodded. "Understood. If they do request proof, I will assure them I have been treated fairly. It may help gain some favor for you, if they truly will wish to negotiate for me." It was unspoken but clear that she wasn't sure if it would be so.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 12-25-2014, 09:46 PM

The Commander gave a curt nod, and a slight smile to the girl. "Very well, then. She stays with you, Mannik."

"Bu-"

"And no buts. You have extra clothes there, I believe. Make do." Mannik's gaze turned to Adelmar.

"Really? Come on, you seriously wouldn't be happier with a girl?" His tone changed, almost pleading. "You really can't want to stay there." Strangely enough, the fact that Adelmar didn't choose to leave pleased Mannik, even if it was just because she didn't see better prospects somewhere else. It made Mannik feel like he was a decent enough provider. Maybe when all this blew over, he'd put some time towards getting a girl. A few had shown interest in him, he just never had time before.

"Soldier, enough." Commander Imhoff commanded. Mannik fell silent, crossing his arms over his chest, and turning his head to glare at the wall. He grew more ruffled, when she continued, and recommended him to continue teaching. He wasn't a babysitter. He opened his mouth, but the Commander raised her hand, looking rather amused at the two. "As to that, I know it's not your regular duties, but as a matter of fact, you'll be relieved starting tomorrow. The man you brought back from Seven with Miss Wislawa would make a fine teacher. But, thank you for your opinion."

Mannik resisted the urge to stick his tongue out at Adelmar. Stupid girl. Who did she think she was?!

The red headed woman paused, and gave Adelmar a rather curious look, before settling in a chair. A few moments later, and a few more people moved into the room, most of them armed. They stood on the other side of the ComPad, so they would be unseen. "Our extra guests are simply to ensure nothing rash is done. By you, or you comrades Above." Commander explained. "I'm the face of Below, you see. It makes sense. My red hair already makes me a target on raids." She gave a shrug, and glanced to Mannik.

He stayed where he was, but switched his stance to attention. Imhoff shrugged, before turning the ComPad on. If Mannik was seen, it would make him more of a target on raids as well, however, it was his choice. "I'd like you, Miss Wislawa, to dial a number you think you will reach someone who may be willing to help you. Your family, your people, your fiance. It doesn't matter to me who you dial, as long as someone answers who can give us what we need. Someone who wants to trade for you. We put some thought into it, and you made some valid points. So...dial."

Last edited by Kisu; 12-27-2014 at 01:40 AM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 12-29-2014, 12:05 AM

Tiny crease formed between Adelmar's brows when commander decided to not give her new jail keeper, but she wasn't particularly surprised. For some reason, older woman thought she'd be the safest with Mannik. In more ways than just kept most securely. And at his further questions, she turned to look at him, her eyes growing hurt and angry at the same time for a briefest moment before she gathered her emotions in firm hold again. "You are absolutely right. I do not want to stay here, held against my will. But your place is no worse than any other that could serve as my prison," she spoke, her shoulders stiff and head held high. If he had forgotten this wasn't argue about who got to sleep over at whose house, then the dark haired woman certainly hadn't.

When Imhoff shushed him and responded to her suggestion, Adelmar simply nodded slightly, acknowledging the decision. It was more a way to jab in Mannik's side more than anything anyways. After all, she had noted that he was fit for teaching this subject, not in general. It was ridiculous to imagine him teaching fine arts, psychology or math to children. But brute power and dismantling, putting together weapons? That really only asked for being idol to kids in this brutal world. Somewhere in back of mind, she realized she was being more stingy about him now that he had again hurt her feelings and brought up unpleasant thoughts. From other side, just because she couldn't quite piece him together didn't mean she admired him. He lacked that glamorous charisma of strong willed men she was adored in her grandfather, although Mannik's roughness was not entirely without its good points, as the girl had already concluded.

When commander told her to dial, she moved towards ComPad and hesitated. Her mouth corner twitched just tiniest bit when she thought what response she would have if she called her parents, if they would even pick up. There would be immediate disconnect and maybe even cussing if her father was drunk enough. There was no point in calling Zenon's parents so it only left her fiance. He was going to be furious, but she knew knew what buttons to push to get what the Below needed - what she needed to be 'free'. If they'd let her talk and if he'd even be the one to pick up.

Adel quickly dialed his pad number, she would know it even just woken from deep sleep, so often it had been on her pad when he had wanted to complain to her or summon her. He did have multiple ones, but the one she used was specially for closest people. When it was entered, she stepped back, her hands by her side, pressed against her thighs flatly.

There was no response for a short while and then the screen came to life, but it was not Val's rugged head that came into view. Instead, it was Zenon's father, his mustache neatly trimmed and every hair in place on his head. Very strands by his temples were turning silver, but his eyes were as sharp as knives.

"Commander Imhoff, am I right? That is your self appointed title, is it not?" he asked, speaking manner just as polished as Adelmar's, perhaps even more, but there was clear notes of disdain there. "I assume you have contacted me to officially claim your involvement in the crimes of murder and kidnapping that recently took place in Seventh city."

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 12-29-2014, 05:08 AM

"Commander Imhoff, yes. Appointed by the people of below to deal with your tyrannical reign." Imhoff was rather used to this sort of greeting, and seemed to brush it off. "As you are aware, I am sure, we have Adelmar Wislawa, fiance to your son. Are you willing to enter negotiations to get her back?" The female cut to the chase, not wanting to play any games. This was for her people.

Mannik's eyes moved to Adelmar and flickered to the ComPad, but otherwise the soldier didn't move a muscle. The man on the screen, however, didn't mention Adelmar by name, being informal by listing laws. It didn't bode well, and was a sure sign that the negotiations, should they take place at all, would be far from easy.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 PM

"First, I want to see Adelmar," he stated in tone that didn't really leave much space for argument. For some reason, it didn't seem he felt like he was in a bad position where anything could be forced upon him. The man emanated aura of confidence. If she was allowed to step forward, the girl did. Her supposedly soon to be father-in-law looked at her so tightly as if he wished to spear her with his gaze. "Are you alright, my dear?" he inquired, the softer tone not matching his expression. Adelmar nodded: "They have been treating me well, sir." She knew all these endearments meant this was going to air after on big screens, to show unyielding will of Hadars as an example to all people of Above.

"Do not fear, my girl, we will soon get you out of there. One way or another." With that, he seemed to tune out her presence and his attention turned firmly to Imhoff. "Either you have not thought this all the way through or you overestimated your advantage. For each your trained man, we have a hundred. There will be no negotiations. This far, we have treated you fairly and even given chance to escape your life and live in the sun and this is how you repay us? With murder and kidnapping of one of wisest, most intelligent and cherished people in all Above?" There was clear disdain in his voice, as if he truly thought that people of Below were the worst for responding to their kind 'bigger brother' like this. He didn't let anyone else to have a word in, though.

"You will give Adelmar Ednah Wislawa back to us 3 days from now or not only you, but your families in Seventh and eventually in all Above, will suffer. We are willing to forgive you this mistake, if you do, with no further repercussion. However, if you do not return her or harm even a hair on her head, it will mean an open war. And we both know who will win. If you care for anyone at all other than your selfish ambitions to gain fame among your kind, you will chose what benefits all of you." With this, ComPad connection was turned off.

Adelmar nearly choked on the sob stuck in her throat. There was little chance she was returning home alive. If Below didn't kill her first in spite, then as she had already thought, there was little chance of her surviving the trip back. If Hadars had decided to annihilate Below, this was the perfect chance for them to do so. Her fists balled in fists and she stared straight ahead at wall, not willing to let these people that had made her life so much more miserable and future even more bleak see her tears and despair.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 12-31-2014, 12:30 AM

If Commander Imhoff had wanted to say something, she hadn't been given any chance. As it was, she was left staring open-mouthed at the screen in shock. Above had never threatened the hurt the people of Below that had been taken there. It was a sort of spoken agreement. They already worked in horrible conditions, and were treated pretty badly. But, a threat against them?

Mannik was frozen for a moment too, until he saw movement from the corner of his eye. There was a deafening sound of a bullet being fired, but he was already in motion. He tugged Adelmar from her position in front of the ComPad, hugging he to him for a moment. The sound seemed to wake up the Commander, and her eyes flit to the pair. "Mannik, remove Adelmar. Someplace besides your home, yes?" Mannik nodded, understanding. "Take him into custody." She told the other soldiers wearily. The soldiers grabbed their comrade, who was glaring at Adelmar with open hate. Once his guns were taken, and he was led from the room, Mannik released Adelmar. Mannik felt a stab of pity for the man. His daughter had been a beautiful woman, and from what word they were able to get back, she'd been forced to the bed of some noble. The man didn't know what else could be done to her, but didn't want to find out. He just wanted to make Seven pay. Thinking of the parents he'd never met, Mannik could understand somewhat.

He didn't wait for her to speak. Once news got out that the people of Below would be hurt, whether in Above or Below, and that if she was returned, there would be no food or medicine for their desperate needs, everyone would be clamoring for Adelmar's death, or at least for the chance to return her damanged. So, instead he lifted her mask, attaching it to her face rather quickly. He took her hand, and led her from the rooms, moving back towards the front of the complex. Mannik tried to remind himself to be gently, which was why he held her hand instead of her arm, but he was rather angry.

The walked for a long while, having to detour to avoid large shadowy figures that moved through the dust. Eventually, however, they were in a crumbling building, a few floor up. "Watch where you step." Mannik told her finally, his voice muffled from his own mask. He moved to the air purifier, and though it took a while, he started it up, listening to the hum before removing his mask.

He stared at the box for a moment, then turned to her. "No food, or new clothes tonight. It will be really cold as well." Mannik finally stated, before flopping to the floor, attaching the mask to his belt. From the window, he could see the few planes Below had lifting into the air, most likely making a trip to Seven, telling the Raided people to go into hiding, and to bring back as many as possible. So much anger was building up in the soldier, and he stared at Adelmar. For the first time he could remember, he wanted to hurt someone. He wanted to hurt her.

"I guess you tried to tell us, huh?" He finally spoke, barely able to contain his rage. Unable to stay still, he stood, and paced. Mannik needed something to take his anger out on. "I bet you think this is what we deserve?"

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-01-2015, 05:21 PM

Adelmar didn't have the speed or reflexes to react when the sound of fired gun reached her. In first flash, she didn't even recognize it and then all that pulsated through her mind was "so this is how it ends". It was like a pain pulsating in her head and proceeding to course through her body that didn't stop even after Mannik pulled her away from danger. She complied with what the man did, adjusting her mask and taking her along, but she felt like a vehicle on autopilot. Still, she was fast and only tripped few times over the rubble and stone in her way, not hindering their journey much.

When they finally reached the building, she was shivering - not from the cold, but the fear and final rush of adrenaline leaving her body. When Mannik removed his mask, she took it as sign that it is safe and her fingers numbly fiddled with the straps until headgear came off. She clutched it in her hands and moved to one of the windows, dully staring outside at the skyline jagged with crumbling buildings. Her chest was tight, and she couldn't pull in enough air and it wasn't because there was so little clean air to breath in.

She seemed to miss entirely what the man told her until his final, accusatory question that for some reason snapped her out of her dazed state. Adel turned to look at him, slight frown on her face and genuine confusion in her eyes. "Why would I wish this," she gestured at the view beyond window, "upon anyone?" As she spoke, her voice slowly grew in volume, her chin set out, posture suddenly defiant. It was only dulled by the tears that prickled at her eyes. "Do you fail to realize that I am not my ancestors that chose to split humanity in half, that I am mere pawn in games that people with true power play? Perhaps you cannot comprehend that this will not be first night that I spend without a meal and that--"

The woman suddenly came to halt in her speech, turning away from Mannik and wrapping arms around herself. "It does not matter. For you Above is glorified and everyone that is there, aside from your own people, are monsters responsible for your fate. Perhaps you are right, perhaps there is something we could do for you, if enough of us stood up. But we are too scared for our own survival that hangs on gilded thread. And humans are selfish creatures, putting their and their dear one's survival first." Inwardly, she braced herself for punches, being pushed, perhaps even out of the window. It hadn't been wise to talk back at him, but the bitterness had been rising like bile in her throat ever since she was kidnapped and finally, it spilled out.

But if he would manage to keep his anger in or vent it out on something else than physically her (something her father rarely managed to), she would give him a small gift in return. Nothing grand and perhaps nothing they hadn't thought of already, but even so, she had some knowledge that could help them utilize this 'gift' the best.

"Why didn't you let me talk with her?" Zenon asked, his voice still controlled, but he could feel anger bubbling in his chest. "You are her fiance, they would expect you and try to emotionally manipulate you," his father replied, completely unphased by his son barging in the room without a warning, despite his still healing leg. "Exactly, I am her fiance! I wanted to see her!" he spoke, already tone higher.

The elder man turned and played maybe 20 seconds long video part where the dark haired girl could be seen on screen. Valmir felt a surge of worry for her, having never seen her in a state like this - torn, dirty dress, unkempt hair. But he recognized the dark circles under her eyes and the defiant gleam in gray orbs that were not completely dulled yet. That was a good sign. Adelmar must return to him, unharmed!

He had seen the 'negotiations' go live on the big screens all over Seven, where red headed woman, self acclaimed commander, spouted some nonsense about tyranny, ending it and ridiculous demands, while his father stood up to her in true Hadar manner and negotiation was simply impossible, for while Above was being reasonable, Below was openly hostile. Zenon had an inkling feeling that it wasn't how the conversation had conspired at all and that there was something being hidden from him.

He hated that, when he was still being treated a child. On outside, they wanted him to play responsible, mature and charming heir, while they gave him none of the rights such heir would deserve in family. He never got chance to prove himself to them or the world and it frustrated Zenon to no end. His jaw clenched as he tried to keep his bad mood inside, trying to worm as much information out of his father as possible. Most questions were reflected, there were few hints that exchange could take place in future, but not anytime soon.

When he was finally told (ordered, pah!) to leave the room, Val left with a plan already forming in his mind. If his father was unwilling to act and get Adelmar back, then he would do it! Yes, he knew just the guys to rope into this that would not spill anything to any unneeded ears and desired a chance to be heroes. Smirk tugged at Zenon's lips. "Let's see who will be the winner yet," he thought.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 PM

Mannik felt that strange mix of anger and sympathy to the girl. He tugged her from the window, as usual, rather brisk. "You just don't get it do you?" He found himself growled, pushing her against the wall. His hands moved to the wall besides her head, one on either side, supporting him. The window wasn't a safe place to be. It was likely that a few citizens of Below would be looking for her tonight, and if Above decided to do a surprise raid, away from the windows was definitely a good idea. "I'm not saying your life is perfect. Everyone has problems. Even that pompous jerk on the screen back there has problems in his life! What I'm saying is...you don't know what it's like, to be forced away from something like the sun. To constantly be worried that the one person in your life who actually give a damn about you will be shot because she wants to make the world a little better. To..." Mannik sighed, dropping his head.

"Why am I telling you this?" He muttered to himself, shaking his head. He answered himself as well. "You get under my skin, so easily!" Mannik raised his head, eyeing the girl, trying to explain again. "I don't blame any of you up there for splitting us in half. I blame you all for not caring enough to do something about it now. Everyone always looks the other way when we are treated wrongly. No one cares!"

"Despite how you look at me most of the time, I've been far nicer to you than people are to our people on Seven! You got food, despite that fact that I didn't have much, you were free to walk around and speak. You haven't been expected to do any sort of service for me. I haven't raped you." Mannik paused, eyeing the female. Without noticing, his tongue darted out, running over his dry lips quickly. "Hell, maybe I should have. It's probably the only reason Imhoff wanted you with me, knowing I wouldn't jeopardize the mission, and it's common enough up there. Give them back their goods a little soiled!"

As soon as the threat left his mouth, Mannik felt horrible. He turned away from the girl, dropping his hands back to his sides. "I didn't mean..." He attempted to apologize. The words wouldn't leave Mannik's mouth, however, and the male groaned, running a hand through his hair. "Just stay here. Don't leave. If the purifier shuts off, put your mask on. Make sure it's sealed."

Mannik strode from the building, unsure if he was still angry at Above's people, or at himself. While hitting her had never crossed his mind, that had. Mannik felt rather ashamed. He needed to do something to apologize to her. That was a horrible thing to say, and it was worse because it had really been on his mind. Mannik felt like he had pushed too far. He'd get her a few items of clothing, as a sort of apology. She'd be safe enough in the building. He'd even moved some rubble, so the area where Adelmar was pretty much unreachable. Mannik hadn't intended to go out, however, he couldn't stay in the small room with the girl now.

When he returned to his home, he wasn't surprised to find many people gathered around the entrance. He felt a stab of pride: None of them had been able to get in. It went away quickly as he was approached by a rather young man. "Where is she?"

"None of your business." Mannik responded, much more calm than he felt.

The man motioned behind him, the people around him all looking angry and almost all of them having weapons. "It is every single person's business! One of us was already executed because of her, and they aren't going to give us anything for her. We will send her body back, then!"

Mannik spoke as he used his body to cover the door, pushing various buttons and waiting for it to slide back. "What would that accomplish? And he shot at her. If that was the punishment delt out, then it was." As he'd predicted, the angriest of the people followed him. He wasn't worried that they would hurt him, however. These were his people. He turned away, digging through the pile of clothing. He found very few items that would actually fit the female, so instead tried for clean and warm. Again, it was rather hard to locate, but he did. Then Mannik took the small square item that contained water, and the last of his roots. He wanted to take a blanket. It was going to be rather cold tonight, if he was to judge from last night. But, there was no way he could carry all of it.

He hefted the items into his arms, and turned around. The man had moved much closer, their faces almost touched. Mannik hadn't even heard him. Pain was spreading around his midsection, however, and the soldier couldn't help but to grunt. His emerald eyes dropped, staring at the knife in the man's hand. The end was buried into his body. Not wanting to struggle with the man, Mannik raised his gun. A second later, the man laid dead. The others in the room could have easily shot Mannik, but most of them were rather close with either the soldier, or Commander Imhoff.

They let him pass, and it took Mannik a bit longer to get back to Adelmar, partially because he wanted to make sure no one was trailing him, and partially because his stomach felt like it was on fire. Soon, however, he was pulling the rubble away, and climbing back to the room.

In the room, he was barely aware enough to look around for the female. Instead, he dropped the items, tugging the roots he had wrapped up from his pocket and setting them on top, before moving to a corner of the room, leaning against the wall and sliding down it. He needed to tend to his wound. He hadn't wanted to remove the knife before, fairly certain it would have made him bleed even more, and then he wouldn't have been able to make it back. Now, however, he gripped the knife, and grit his teeth, before tugging it out in one smooth stroke.

It felt like fire, and Mannik closed his eyes, wanting to scream. Once that urge was passed, he let his mouth fall open, panting heavily. Trying to move as little as possible, he removed his jacket and shirt, bunching the shirt up and pressing it against his wound. It didn't seem to do much good, however, and within a few seconds the shirt was soaked.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-02-2015, 03:38 PM

Responding to his anger with her own had definitely been a mistake, Adelmar knew it as clear as day (not day here, but the one Above with sun generously gilding streets with its light). Yet, trapped between the man and wall, her heart beating way too fast, she stared in his eyes defiantly, head swaying slightly side to side, as if saying 'no, it's still you that doesn't get it'. It was as if all the pent anger, from even beyond her Below experience, wanted to finally come out. And honestly, Mannik with his twisted world view was the perfect target. He embodied a good deal of what was wrong with her life right now.

When he took a breath, murmuring about her getting under his skin, the girl's eyes flashed. "It's not me that gets under your skin, but the fact not every--" But Mannik didn't let her finish, he rolled on like a tank and after his admission of considering raping her, every word that she might have had to say, got stuck in her throat and died there.

She visibly recoiled away from him as far as possible (which was not a lot, in their given situation), face white but with red spots. The expression in her gray eyes changed to that of disgust, as if she finally saw him as savage that everyone claimed people of Below to be. Never in her time of kidnapping she had looked at him like that. Perhaps it was a reaction too sharp, but she had really thought of him as better than that. After all, he could apparently have any girl he wanted, so why touch the one that was 'wrong'? Only for sake of revenge upon... Just her, because it would be she who would have to live down this eternal shame.

And although there were very few male examples in her life, not even her father had bedded someone forcefully. Not to her knowledge, at least. Zenon had never needed to, every woman was glad if he accepted their advances, hoping to get something from the heir. For that reason, he had never tried to develop their relationship beyond few kisses. (And probably because he just didn't view her as woman.)

"If he touches me, I will fight," she thought, but it thankfully never came down to that and Mannik moved away from her. She stood frozen for a moment, then hurriedly moved away from him and windows, arms still tightly wrapped around herself. His half-hearted, half-said apology did little to mend the hole he had broken in Adelmar's opinion about him. When he left, she stayed still for a while, but then began looking around the place. Being here alone and defenseless was a scary feeling and when something crashed outside, probably one of the buildings crumbling down, she felt she'd prefer even Mannik's presence to this solitude.

Adel sorted through a pile of rubble and finally found what she was looking for - a rock that was small enough for her to hold in one hand, but heavy enough to deliver a decent blow with. Armed with this 'weapon', she moved to the wall beside entrance, not knowing how well Mannik had sealed it and if there would be unwelcome guests. If anyone came in, she'd be able to strike them easily. Each minute seemed to stretch out like hour before her and part of her slowly cooled down. Despite saying those awful things, he hadn't touched her after all. At least not for now... Who knew how long he'd have self-composure for that. She certainly couldn't risk angering him like that again. As slim her chances of survival were, there were no need to make all of this even more horrible just because of her suddenly short temper.

When she heard someone approaching, she grasped the stone tighter, but chose not to attack until she saw who it was. Luckily, it was just Mannik and she retreated away from him, the stone behind her back. It took her only few seconds to notice the weapon stuck in his middle and for a moment, her eyes flashed as if lit by a wildfire, like those of an animal seeing that its predator was injured and it had a chance of fighting back, surviving. Her fingers grasped the rock so tight, sharp edges dug into her skin and even broke it in few places, although the girl didn't feel it. Moments later, the light died as Adelmar knew that her chances were even slimmer without the man. Where would she go, anyway? Outside, where every person was out for her shame and blood? No one of Above would find her here, even if they came to Raid on surprise and she might be shot before they even realized who she is.

Ednah put the stone down and knelt down by the pile of items he had brought, with corner of her eye watching Mannik, as she sifted through it. She saw how quickly the shirt was colored by blood and her gut wrenched. The woman felt helpless - Above, they had medicine droids that would take care of such things. She knew how to deal with small cuts and bruises, that ice could help, for example, but that was basically extent of her medicinal knowledge. Still, she wrecked her brains for something to do. She couldn't let him die here, the blame would be placed on her for sure.

"If..." her voice came out scratchy and meek so she stood up, cleared her throat and started again, "if I change, and you cut up my dress for bandages and wrap tight around your torso to help stop the bleeding, would that help?" Adelmar looked down at the warm, large clothes that he had brought. "It's just that these wouldn't make good bandages, I think." Part of her wanted to add something snippy, but she swallowed it down and approached the man slightly, trying to get a better look at wound without getting too close. When she saw the knife in his hand and how far it was stained in red, she gasped softly, hand going to her mouth and leaving few red marks on her face from her cut palm. Suddenly, her suggestion seemed so silly, how could anyone last with a wound like this?

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Mannik had closed his eyes, trying to focus on keeping himself from screaming or punching the wall. He should be applying more pressure to the wound, but, damn, it hurt!

His emerald eyes opened, and blinked at Adelmar, before looking away guiltily. He couldn't look at her without seeing the expression of horror that had been there before. That he'd caused. It wasn't the people of Below that were savages, like Adlemar seemed to think. Just him.

"I'm sorry..." He finally muttered, the words not easy to say. "It was wrong. I'm...I'm messed up. In the head. I can't do what I do without being messed up. I wouldn't...do that, and I shouldn't have even said it." Mannik shoved a hand behind him, and leaned against the wall, struggling to his feet after grabbing his jacket, letting the soaked shirt fall to the ground. He turned around, resting a shoulder against the wall, while his hands dug into the jacket. "Just change...you don't need to rip up your dress. It's not as bad as it looks. No vital organs. Or do you want me to leave for a few minutes?"

While he waited on the female's answer, Mannik's hands moved quickly, searching the pockets. After a while, he came out with a small steel tube. He twisted it, pouring some white powder in his hand. He used a finger, pushing the powder deep inside his wound. Glad he was facing the other way, Mannik allowed himself to wince, his shoulders twitching slightly. "It's probably stupid to ask after what I said to you, and it's fine if you say no, but, do you know how to sew?"

Last edited by Kisu; 01-02-2015 at 04:29 PM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-02-2015, 04:45 PM

She resisted urge to shift uncomfortably when Mannik started to speak. But there was no need to let him see how she felt, she had already let her see her horror and that was far too large gift to give. If she was to go down with this ship, then she'd go down with her head raised tall, as per original plan. Still, for brief moment, surprise flickered over her face when the man apologized and she wasn't sure how to accept it properly. To say he was forgiven? That sounded haughty and empty, just as much as saying that there was nothing to apologize for. So, Adelmar just nodded slightly, casting eyes downward for a moment.

When he mentioned dress, as if thinking she might be sad to rip it, she shrugged. "It's just a piece of clothing and if you need it..." At Mannik's question she hesitated, naturally wanting him to leave, but asking him to leave in this state... Would he trust her anyway? Not that they both didn't know she had nowhere to run. "If you could... I would appreciate it," she said quietly, words leaving a bad taste in her mouth. Her pride still struggled to accept the fact she had to rely on someone from Below and his kindness so heavily. And there wasn't that much of kindness in him after all. But there was truth in his words, this life had to leave a mark. Strange that life Above also did.

Mannik asked if she could sew and the girl frowned. Sew? Why would her embroidery skills matter-- "You want me to sew the wound?" she asked, incredulous. It sounded something barbaric, out of history books that she had read with disgusted fascination. But that's what they probably had to do down here. Shiver ran down her spine. "I actually do know how to sew," she continued, mouth twitching towards a smile for a second at thought of many hours spent mastering the art of creating gorgeous embroidered pieces of pillows and other such pretty, useless things. Synthetically crafted gold, silver and gems were used in them and it was part of learning patience for young, rich ladies of Above. It too seemed archaic at first, but with time she had learned to love it, getting lost in her thoughts as her hands performed task automatically.

"Do you have a thread and needle with you?" she asked, getting down to business as she walked closer to him. They'd probably need something to disinfect the needle, Adelmar guessed as she wrecked her brains for more things she had read on this. Could they start a fire or something? Fleetingly, she thought she would change after, kind of hoping he might pass out in the process, if they got as far as actually sewing the wound.

Last edited by sadrain; 01-02-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-02-2015, 05:05 PM

"Yes, I have a needle. And some thread. It'll have to do." Mannik replied evenly. He slipped the knife into a belt loop, and turned. He wanted to walk from the room normally, but the pain and blood loss were taking a toll on him. He couldn't help but stumble slightly. "Just call me when you're done." He stated, trying to keep from using his typical curt tone.

Once outside the room, Mannik leaned against the wall, closing his eyes once more. He opened them a moment later, checking to see if he needed more powder. The powder had clotted the wound, and the bleeding would stop. Although it wasn't apparent from looking at it, the powder also worked as a disinfectant. It was made from a rather rare plant in Below, and Mannik was grateful he had some on him. Otherwise, it was very likely he would be dying. His sewing skills were severly lacking, however, and if the wound wasn't stitched up, it would begin bleeding again.

Adelmar's voice called him back in, and Mannik sighed, forcing his face to remain neutral as he returned. He moved back to the corner, once again sitting on the ground. He laid back, wincing at the cold stone pressing against his back. Mannik's hand moved, tugging his jacket. A moment later, a tiny spool of thread and a needle dripping in fluid were laying next to him, the needle set carefully on top of the spool. He finally paused, glancing at Adelmar and frowning. Dressed like that, it was still painfully obvious she didn't belong in Below. Her fair hair and eyes stood out. His frown deepened as he caught a look at her face. How had she gotten blood on herself? She hadn't gotten that close to him...

Mannik struggled back to his feet, approaching her warily, and inspecting the cheek. It was blood, but there was no marks on her face. He moved to check her hands, lifting them blood to find his blood. Instead he noticed the cut on her hands. It wasn't too hard to put the facts together. She'd located some kind of weapon. He eyed her for a moment, then took the knife from his belt, along with the tiny metal tube. Both were placed in Adelmar's hand, and Mannik turned away, returning to a prone position on the floor. "Rub the powder in the scratches, so they don't get infected. And I'd wait to use the knife until they come for you, for your sake." He stated, rather tired. If she did stab him, it was probably what he deserved, for threatening her earlier. If she chose to stitch him up, well, it would hurt plenty. Either way, perhaps she'd feel a little better.

Mannik sighed, closing his eyes and placing his hands behind his head, more tense than he would have liked.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-02-2015, 06:20 PM

It was nearly funny to think that this rough man would carry needle and thread with him. Above, no man would even look at such things and most even didn't know what they were for. And here Below, she guessed no one thought of spending precious thread on such useless things are embroidery. It was much more needed for sewing clothes... and flesh. The thought made her shudder inwardly still. Honestly, she wasn't sure if she'd manage to do it, but she had to try. Not only to help him and therefor herself, but in some kind of prideful spite, to show that she wasn't useless, pale handed lady.

As soon as Mannik left the room, she hurriedly started to undress. Now she saw the dress was absolutely ruined, torn in multiple places, not even talking about bottom where she had ripped the lace off, dirty, even with few specks of blood. Girl guessed her face was dirty, too, especially with the tear marks from last night... What she wouldn't do for hot shower right now, or even better, long nice bath that she could sink wholly in and pretend to be somewhere else, far away from everything, like she did after hard days Above. But there was no time to dream now and Adel hurriedly dressed in clothes he had brought. Most were too large and she fumbled with trying to pull them tighter about her body, feeling like a large, ugly ball of clothes.

Not that her physical appearance really mattered right now, but it was instilled in her to always try to look as good as she could. So, she pulled the belt as tight as she could, giving her a kind of waist, adjusted collar and shoulders of the heavy, but pleasantly warm clothes that they looked more like over sized on purpose to underline how frail she was. She smoothed down her hair, retied the bow at end and folded up her old dress up neatly. Now the hardest part had to start and Adelmar drew deep breath before she called him in.

She wanted to push her hands in pockets and rub them nervously, but that was unladylike so, she remained still while he settled down and then moved towards him. But for some reason, Mannik was getting up and coming to her. She nearly backed away at first, and despite wanting to keep control of her face, flinched slightly when he touched her, but otherwise remained calm, showing him her hands, palm up. Somewhere, a fleeting thought passed that this was also a sign to show you meant no harm to another human being. Was that even true in her case? Despite being ready to help him, it would be lies to say she didn't want him to suffer on some level.

Still, the man managed to surprise her when he gave her knife and tube. She looked at the items and then at him, eyes wide. What was going on in this man's mind? She'd... She'd never give someone in her position a knife. But maybe he had read from her that she knew she had no chance of survival without him. Still, it was such a foolish, trusting thing to do. With barely audible sigh, she tucked the knife behind her belt and opened tube, using just tiny bit of powder on scratches. After all, they weren't deep. She had had much worse.

Then she knelt down and took thread and needle. Inspecting how wide the wound was, she bit her lip, feeling a little strange. Never had she thought she'd have a 'patient' beyond Zenon who had gotten punched by training robot when he was teenager and she had to nurse his bruised face with ice pack... That felt like centuries ago. She cut enough thread and put it through needle's eye. Stupidly enough, first few attempts failed because her hands were shaking. Adel frowned and with determined face tried again. Third time was the lucky one.

When she put the needle in the first time, she winced at the sound and had to take a breath to be able to continue. Trying to distract herself from what she was doing, the girl began humming a song her grandma had sung to her when she was child. It was light, beautiful melody, but she realized it probably seemed disrespectful to Mannik. Not that she really cared about that, but Adel stopped humming. The silence was uncomfortable, aside from sound needle made going through his flesh and probably painful sounds Mannik made, besides it seemed to underline the situation even more. She had never sat so close to half naked man, aside from Zenon, and although the situation was not suggestive in any way, it was slightly strange. And there were so many scars all over his body, she noted.

So, she decided to try and talk instead. "You know," she cleared her throat, hating the note of vulnerability in her voice and continued in what was conversational tone, "it's kind of funny that all girls of Above are taught to sew. It's to teach us patience, but it seems such a archaic thing in time of technology. I read that girls used to do that before Industrialization. I like it, though. Lot of girls in my class gave me their sewing so I would finish it in their place. They liked to sneak out for parties better and-"

She realized that the conversation had turned kind of personal and quieted down, thinking of way to go back to safer grounds, where he wouldn't learn more about her. There was a wall between them and for many reasons, it should stay there. Although if it didn't, maybe at least he would briefly stop thinking of her as currency, item to gain something from one way or another... "Recently, though, the prices of synthetically produced gold and gems are increasing, they are becoming luxury again, so many families are dropping sewing out of education again and even demanding schools provide the materials for classes, if they must continue." She looked at his face, wanting to see if he had become angry that she mentioned the goods he had never even seen like most casual things. What was pulling her by her tongue today? "I will just keep quiet," Adelmar told him then. Why did this have to go so slow??

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 PM

Mannik wanted to scream and yell when the girl flinched back from him. Was he really that much of a monster? Mannik supposed he was, after the things he had said to her tonight. With his eyes closed, Mannik couldn't help but tense as he heard the female approach.

He listened to her kneel, and to be honest, he had expected her to slid the knife into his ribs, strip him of his weapons, and take off, probably for the Commander. Mannik held his breath, and seemed to wait forever, until he felt her hands on his skin. The flesh twitched slightly, but Mannik kept his eyes shut.

Her hand was gone a second later, though Mannik still kept his eyes closed, and his face turned away. Then came the needle. The wound was deep, and surprise, surprise, it hurt to have it messed with. Mannik fought to stay still, when his instincts told him to attack the thing that was hurting him. Though all of that seemed to change when she started to hum. His pain was still there, but it gave him something to focus on.

The hands under his head had balled into fists, and they slowly relaxed. Mannik turned his head back to the female, blinking at her curiously. He found himself rather disappointed when she stopped. She had a rather pretty voice. Then she opened her mouth and began speaking. He listened intently, focusing on something besides what she was doing. Adelmar was talking about school. And embroidery. Contrary to what she seemed to think, Mannik found it rather fascinating.

Adelmar glanced at him, and Mannik shifted his gaze away quickly, feeling rather warm all of a sudden. He felt like he had been caught doing something wrong. Her next words made his eyes shift back, however. "No..." Mannik stated, glancing at the gash in his side before continuing in a softer, gentler voice. "Don't stop. I mean, it's interesting. I've never got to see it...like that. It's always a...get in and get out kinda thing..."

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 PM

She kept her eyes on the job at hand, kind of fighting the nasty feeling bunching up her stomach in knots. Cuts and scratches were one thing, but so much blood, even clotted... It made her think of butchered beast. And many would say that she was indeed saving an animal right now. The dream of last night flashed behind her eyes vividly, but Mannik's voice brought her out of these thoughts. He wasn't angry? He actually wanted to know more? That was surprising and she paused in her work to look up at him while she tried to figure something neutral to talk about.

Her thoughts turned to something that she missed terribly when looking at the barren landscape beyond the window. "Well, maybe you have noticed," Adelmar started, getting back to sewing, "that there are lot of holoprojectors on the streets for displaying trees and various plants. I heard that Three has streets themed and named after them, like Maple Street or Spring boulevard where jasmines, lilacs, apple and cherry trees 'blossom' all year long." Her voice was nearly wishful now, for brief moment.

"But I've never seen it personally," she told him, firmly back in reality. "However, I have been to actual garden and the area where Seven grows trees. They are kept there to mass produce oxygen and machines kind of double the amount, so it's highly secure area, but a chance to see it all in person was gift on my 16th birthday. I always have liked our artificial garden, but that... That was gorgeous. I could imagine what it is like when they are not neatly planted in a line, but grow wildly, with birds singing in the branches and sun shining through leaves... World must have been really beautiful."

Young woman swallowed a sigh at this. Why was she telling him these personal opinions? But it wasn't like she could stick to noble family gossip and small talk with someone who knew nothing about Madame Ruby and her outrageous actions in the last Yuletide ball or anyone else she might mention. At least her fingers had fallen into slow, but even rhythm of patching Mannik up so it wouldn't be much longer. She hoped so, at least.

"I am not very good at telling things," she concluded, "except few women who are either daring and gorgeous, or brilliant in some other ways, we are told to be quiet and decorative. Of course some are vicious planners and perhaps the necks that turn their husband's heads..." She had nearly mentioned that Zenon's mother could very well be one of them, but it would be bad to bring names into this. "There, it is finished," she cut the spare thread left and placed needle on thread spool exactly as she had finished. "Drink something and try to rest," Adelmar told him in her business voice, as if this was just another usual thing in her daily routine, inwardly thanking her composure, despite how it had slipped up few times today.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:10 AM

At the mention of trees, Mannik's eyes seemed to light up, the longing he barely ever let show filling his face, and for once making him look like his rather young years, instead of sullen. He had never seen a real tree. And here, even their plants were hard and drab. Even just imagining a tree was amazing.

She'd moved on, and was tying off the string. Mannik's normal mask fell into place, and he sat up, his fingers moving over the stitching. It was much neater and tighter than he'd ever been able to do. He glanced at his bare chest, suddenly rather self conscious. Adelmar came from such a different world than him. He doubted the female would have a single scar on her body. No wonder she saw them as vicious heathens. He glanced to his shirt, which was soaked with blood, and tugged his jacket on with a sigh. Without the layers, it would be rather cold tonight.

Still feeling strange, Mannik licked his lips, and cracked his neck, before having to clear his throat so he could speak. "Thank you." The word felt so strange on his lips. "That reminds me." He tugged the tiny square water bottle from his jacket, and set it on the ground next to the tiny packet of roots. "There's not a lot. Try to save some for breakfast, yeah?"

Just like the night before, Mannik moved to a corner of the room. He lifted a gun, about to remove the bullets like the night before. He seemed to rethink it, however, and stuffed it back into the holster. "W-what else?" Mannik heard himself say, his voice sounding rather unsure. "I mean, besides the obvious...what else is different, up there? I...uhm..." Adelmar had shared a little of herself, so Mannik attempted to do the same. "I got to try this thing once, they said it was a 'chocolate cake'. It was the best thing I had ever had...Do you have those a lot?"

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-03-2015, 06:10 PM

Now that she was warm and nasty task of sewing Mannik up was done, her stomach reminded Adelmar of fact that she had eaten small meal many hours ago. But it didn't seem like there were enough roots for even one decent meal and they had to keep some for tomorrow? Well, he had said there would be no food so she guessed this was better than nothing. She opened the package and counted the roots. Uneven count. After hesitating for a moment, she divided them in two part, keeping the small pile that had one root more, and then handed the man the other without commentary. He could do what he wanted with it, eat it all now or save for later. She was going to few and leave the largest portion for tomorrow so she would have a bit more energy in case they had to run from something. Or rather, other people of Below.

Adelmar took out a bite out of one of the roots, savoring it as much as possible and chewing slowly. Perhaps that way the meal will be longer and she can cheat her stomach a little. At least her mother always told her brother that if you eat slower, you will feel full more soon and avoid overeating. In response to that, boy proceeded to stuff his face with sweets only. She suppressed a sigh at the thought of her family. When Mannik spoke, a hint of uncertainty in his voice, she tilted her head to the side, pondering what to answer. Her response formed up to be rather serious so she decided to address lighter part first. "When my--" she started, realizing it would be a too much of sneak peak into her life that wasn't as sunny as he thought, Adel started over, "sometimes. My favorites are ice cream and these little fruit cakes from my childhood."

Her mouth corners pulled up in smile as she remembered the elderly lady that lead her grandparent's kitchen. She was Taken as a child and grown up in Above and she could create most amazing things with fruits. The lady was also very nice to little Adel, sneaking her sweets when her grandma wasn't watching, muttering something about 'parents with no heart' and when Adelmar had drawn a picture of favorite thing, including the old, frail woman and her fruit cakes, she had hugged the girl so, so tight...

The smile faltered and she turned serious again. "I thought that everything is different Above and Below, especially the community. I guessed the way people had to live made them heavily rely and trust one another, a kind of one for all and all for one mentality. I see now that I was wrong and humans everywhere are out for their own interests and blood thirst first." She paused, deciding this was as good moment as any to tell about her 'gift'. "If the exchange happens and I have survived until then, make sure someone is taking a clear video of it. You can use my social pad for it, it will still be charged. It must include everything, from start to the moment doors close behind me so it's visible I am alive. If I don't reach Above alive, you have to air the video on various lines that I will give you codes for, so Above sees I was used as means to start War. Not everyone will support Hadar decision, it will cause rift and make war effort harder."

Her tone, talking about her possible death at the hand of her own people was completely calm, as if she was discussing weather while Adelmar's eyes were completely cold, detached even. It just was so and if Mannik would ask her why she would share something like this with them, she'd honestly tell him she'd hate her body and death be drawn in middle of intrigue and web lie, used to create even more bloodshed.

Hopefully, soon they could settle for a bit of sleep. At least she hoped she'd be able to sleep - her stomach had decided this was only teasing, not a meal, and it was really getting cold. She could only imagine how could the man must feel, without proper clothing, but she couldn't really think of way to make it more comfortable for him and wasn't about to go out of her way to take care of him more than she already had.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-03-2015, 06:28 PM

Mannik blinked, puzzled for a moment as the girl handed him some of the roots. "That's not going to fill you up. I ate some before I came back." The lie came out smoothly, and Mannik set them to the side, refusing to touch them further.

He listened to her quietly for a moment, staring at the ground. He had no clue what a fruit cake was, or ice cream. But, Adelmar already thought him an ignorant savage, so Mannik didn't ask questions about the food. How was it that a girl he could barely stand could make him feel so self conscious and...just...low?

The strange sounding food was forgotten as Mannik watched her facial expressions. He hadn't seen her smile much. It lite up her face, especially when it reached her eyes. Mannik found himself with a small smile on his own face. She continued to speak, and became serious again, and Mannik's smile slowly melted.

For the second time, he wondered what was so bad about Adelmar's life. Did she truly think she wouldn't make it back to Above? And why would she offer all of this? It wouldn't really benefit either of the areas if there was a war, right? "Who do you think would hurt you?" Mannik hesitated slightly, before continuing slowly, "You have your family, and your...fiance to protect you." He didn't bring up that her fiance didn't seem like he would do much protecting, considering how it was pretty common knowledge that Zenon wasn't exactly faithful. "And you've got your own weapon now." Mannik nodded towards the knife. "Hide it in your dress, if you feel like you would need it anytime."

He didn't question why she would share any of this. Her business was hers alone. If she wished to share, then she would. Mannik was starting to feel like he didn't want to know any more about her. He didn't want to feel sorry or relate to the female. What if he had to kill her? All kinds of things could still happen.

Every death, even those nameless soldiers on Seven, haunted him in nightmares more often than Mannik would ever admit. How would it be to see Adelmar's face staring at him, with the same expression of horror she'd had earlier? Mannik looked away from the female, and sighed. "It's not my business. Nevermind. You should finish those roots...I'm going to get some sleep." Mannik had barely slept the night before, and today had been rather trying, especially with his blood loss. It would be hard enough trying to get sleep while trying to stay warm. He lowered his head to his chest, crossing his arms.

He didn't think Adelmar would run, although it was very possible she would stab him as he slept. That seemed like a very slim possibility, however. Why stitch him up just to try and kill him? Plus, while she would have some options, they were rather slim. If she killed him, how would she survive herself? Adelmar seemed far to level headed to do anything rash.

Last edited by Kisu; 01-04-2015 at 04:01 AM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-04-2015, 05:12 PM

For a moment, she wanted to protest, but then the girl decided why bother. He was stubborn and it wasn't like she couldn't use the extra food, nor she owed him anything. Quite the opposite, actually. So, she gathered rest of roots to her, glad her meal would be longer. She glanced up to catch Mannik smile and realized it was reflection of her own. Perhaps she had a bigger effect on him than she had thought. He did seem quite apologetic about that... saying in the end. And she was no fool, she knew he had gotten the wound hiding where she was.

But perhaps it was because of Commander. They seemed to deeply trust on one another and the man did whatever the red haired woman told him. Again, Adelmar briefly wondered if they were lovers. That hug, when he had returned, was something between two close people. Yet, they didn't seem to be in love. But what did she know of love? There was no one in her friend circle that had a mature, healthy and loving relationships with someone. Most of them had arranged marriages and many flings on the side. And her engagement was not based on feelings either. Not that any of this mattered.

At his questions, she looked towards window with calm expression. "If I read all the signs correctly, someone wants war and my death would be perfect start of it. My fiance has no knowledge of it or a chance to do something." It was a strictly political explanation and she had no issue sharing it. It was better that he knew it, didn't blame Zenon for whatever would happen. Not that Zen's innocence would make the situation any safer for him.

When Mannik said he'd try to sleep, she simply nodded and also moved towards other wall, taking remaining roots with her. She used her dress as a pillow of sorts, hiding knife among the material as suggested. The sleep eluded girl for a long time, but eventually she slipped into blackness. No dreams plagued her, at least none that she could remember upon waking, although Adel did mutter through most of the night as she twisted and tossed on the hard ground.

Somewhere far, far above group of men were not sleeping, however. They were preparing for battle and rescue mission. Zenon's leg was hurting, not yet fully healed, but he barely noticed it. He wasn't sure if it was thought of saving Adelmar or the thought of achieving something of importance, proving himself that carried him forward. Either way, it was very effective and the two ships of men that he more or less trusted would strike soon after dawn next morning. Their plane was good, maybe not perfect, but it should do.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-04-2015, 05:23 PM

Morning came far too soon. While Adlemar hadn't screamed this night, Mannik had jerked awake multiple times. He had such horrible dreams. People with foaming mouths and wild eyes that he'd had to kill in the past, had tried to climb the building to get to Adelmar. Mannik had been completely healed, but she had caused the wound in his side. She'd ended up dying, staring at him with glassy eyes. Plus, he had been awfully cold, even debated curling up with the female.

Still rather upset over the dream, Mannik glanced to the female, and ran a hand through his hair. He rubbed his eyes next, and slipped to the window, peeking out. He had a pretty good view of various homes from here, and the large open area next to the Commander's apartment complex. People were starting to get up and move around, small clusters coming together. Some still looked rather angry. As much as Mannik needed to, it was quite possible that hunting would be out of the question today.

Moving back away from the window, he grabbed the water, peeking inside, and setting it down. He was rather thirsty, but Adelmar needed the short supply of liquid far more than him. The tiny container was set back down by the meager roots. Mannik felt a rather strange pang as he viewed their supplies. He doubted Adelmar's fiance would have any trouble keeping her fed.

The thought was banished rather quickly. What did it matter? It wasn't any of his business. Mannik sat down and sighed, removing his jacket, and checking the stab wound that throbbed painfully. It seemed fine, so the male settled for peering at the girl from Above as she slept, curious. He didn't get to view her much, since it felt wrong. But, she was asleep, so it would be alright, right?

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-04-2015, 07:20 PM

Adelmar's nose scrunched up at something in her dream, but then her face relaxed and she sighed softly, lips staying parted as her breathing evened out. Wisps of her hair had gotten free of the loose braid and curled around her face. Dark strands contrasted against her pale face, even though now it was covered with dirt spots and few blood smears. There were dark circles under her eyes and she looked young, perhaps younger than her eighteen years. She hadn't matured like most other girls that partied, drank and even did drugs, although her body had slowly grown curvaceous. It was no wonder that Zenon never really saw woman in her, to him she was still young girl. Although he, too, admitted that she was strangely attractive, while not beautiful in typical sense, especially when prepared for yet another spectacular ball. Those were only times Adel didn't feel pale and gray compared to all the other women of Above.

But those were deeply private thoughts, the kind she never shared with anyone, not even her diary that she felt wasn't entirely safe either. Her mind was only secure place that the girl knew, there she stored all her snarky remarks about people about her, all her pain and memories mixed with resentment that she tucked in at nights like dolls. She knew she had to learn to let go, but at the same time, these opinions were what kept her moving forward, her aim set on the other end of chess board that was Seven's politics. She would become Queen from Pawn and make the old King with hers. Perhaps this was the reason Hadars never liked her, they felt she might be more of a bite than they could chew once she wore their name. Sometimes, she doubted it and with recent events, the chances of that ever happening had shrunk to nearly zero, but even as she had fallen asleep, she had dared to hope that something, anything would happen to turn the situation in her favor, even if a little bit.

Her wish was granted. Sleek and reflecting the bit of light that reached below, two silvery ships slid out of the smog above. The first bomb fell heavily right next to house that a group of people had left, throwing rubble everywhere, another went for apartment building that was barely standing, its empty windows gaping at diseased world. Attacks continued, but didn't seem to aim for any of the people directly although some for sure died in the explosions, falling rocks and more. Adelmar's eyes opened with the first thundering noise, at first disoriented, but she immediately grabbed her knife and sat up. Not asking what was happening, moment later she stood up and rushed to wall by window, peering outside.

Her breath caught in her throat. Descending ships. Did this mean someone had come for her? No regular Descent had been planned after last one, that the young woman knew. Immediately, her mind kicked into overdrive as to how to get to them. Her mask was far, on the other side of room now, and there was matter of Mannik. No, she couldn't let him know what she wanted although he would probably guess. She stepped away from window, wrapping one arm around herself, the other still clutching knife, but then she tucked it behind her belt. Her gray eyes nearly expectantly looking at the man with her. What would he do now?

Meanwhile, the ships had landed and group of people exited in their silvery suits. They were well armed, but didn't fire on sight. Not for injuring at least. They did back a group of people in corner of rubble however. Few women and men, bunch of crying children. Zenon had never had such direct contact with people of Below before. But that was of little importance now. "Tell me where you keep Adelmar Ednah Wislawa," he started without any preamble, his and the four other men's guns pointed at the group. Only sniffles of children and their mothers trying to shush them broke the silence as the dust slowly started to settle.

"Answer the question!" one of the men roared and fired, shooting one of the men point blank. Everything seemed to freeze for a second before cries exploded with new force. Zenon's jaw clenched and he didn't even turn to look at the soldier who had fired. "Beta 1, immediately return to the ship," he commanded and after short hesitation, the man did as told. "Zeta 2, I need replacement here," he told the ship in intercom and then his attention was fully on group before him. "I will ask one more time: where is Adelmar Ednah Wislawa held? Someone must know, I will find this person. The faster, the less painful for all of you."

"Hell, if I knew, the bi**h would be dead," the remaining man spat and promptly was hit in stomach with hilt of gun. "Watch how you talk about my fiancee," Zenon spat. The man charged at him in blind anger and got hit in the head, falling to ground unconscious. 'Zeta 2' had arrived just few moments before.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 AM

Mannik had leaned forward, scooting just a bit closer to the female. He wanted to wake her up. A good wake up. Something that would make her smile, and reach her eyes. His hand was reaching out, hovering above her, and Mannik intended to brush a strand of escaped hair behind her ear. A bomb hit and exploded outside, however, and Mannik jerked his hand back. His gaze went to the window without noticing Adelmar had woken.

He darted to it, staring outside, and watching in horror as bombs began to go off. About ready to take Adelmar out of the building, he was relieved the bombings stopped and the ships landed. People hadn't expected a raid today, however, and there were people out and about.

Mannik couldn't tell if the shots were lethal, but it seemed like the soldiers from Above opened fire on Below. "Mom...." Mannik's voice was pained. He never called Commander Imhoff that, not to her face, and had only whispered the word before falling asleep when he was younger. He hadn't know if the Commander would have liked it or not. But, she had raised him, and they had a bond. She was his mother, it just wasn't through blood. Commander Imhoff was in sight, and the female was quickly gathering her hair up, two children around her legs, holding her clothing tightly. She was stuffing it into her cap in an effort to make it less noticeable, since the soldiers were advancing. He watched as a group of them, including the Commander, were herded and trapped.

They was clearly some sort of exchange, and one of the men fell to the group. Anger boiled inside of him. The soldier had obviously disobeyed orders, and was being sent back, however, Mannik didn't care. He'd shot one of theirs. He needed to die. Mannik lifted his gun, taking careful aim, and shooting the soldier. His gun shifted slightly. He had no idea who was who in the group of soldiers, however, he'd take as many of them down as he could. He couldn't let anyone else from Below get hurt today. They especially weren't going to kill the woman who had raised him. He aimed for the middle of the group, watching another man drop to the ground after rushing one of the men.

Mannik aimed carefully, then shot into the middle of the group, sparing a glance afterwords to Adelmar. "G-get away from the window." He commanded. His voice caught, for once revealing how shaky the soldier felt.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-05-2015, 01:20 PM

Zenon didn't see how 'Beta 1' got shot, but he heard the noise and how the man groaned in pain, falling to the ground. He couldn't afford to turn around to look and, honestly, still felt too angry at the soldier, but he knew he'd be picked up by someone in the ships. They didn't leave their men behind. Besides, he was more preoccupied with what was in front of him. One of the women, although she clutched children to her the same as others did, had something defiant about her. The way she looked at them, especially at him, with a glare... She wasn't afraid. Not for herself, anyway.

He moved closer to her and yanked the cap off her head. Copper curls tumbled down to her shoulders and for split second, he was captivated - most women he had seen down here were dull and gray, often in every meaning of the word, but the fire in this one's eyes and hair was something new. But then it clicked and he felt anger swell in his chest. "You - you are the one from the video. Imhoff, yes? You must know where you hold your prisoner. Spill it and it will be save a lot of trouble, for everyone."

At this moment, another men of his team got shot, falling down with guttural sound. "It came from that building!" the remaining standing soldier spoke, pointing at one of the apartment buildings, before he knelt down to his comrade. In intercom, Zenon ordered team 2 to move out to said building, but to be careful in case Adelmar was there and to not use lethal force. God, he could bet that Beta's attack was what provoked that lone marksman in there. "Is she there, she and her captor?" he questioned the woman before him, his voice again audible to everyone.

Meanwhile, up in the building, Adelmar felt every fiber of her tensing up. Larger group of men were heading straight for here, Mannik had given them away by saving his 'mom' - it couldn't be that they were truly related, but the woman could understand that sometimes blood wasn't what made family. And although this knowledge made everything even harder and she could feel her legs shaking slightly, instead of obeying Mannik she moved closer and suddenly, tip of blade danced over the stitches and skin of his stomach. "No."

She stared at him white as sheet, but defiant. Even though her hands were trembling, her eyes were like steel. "They are coming and they will find me here, dead or alive. But know that if you kill me, you condemn your whole nation to complete eradication, but if I live, I will do everything in my power to stop the war from starting." Her chin stuck out slightly. "So, which will it be? Will you kill me in cold blood as you once threatened to or will you drop your gun and kick it away? I will do my best to make sure you're taken alive if you surrender. But if you try to make this a hostage situation, the first option will happen and you will end up dead even faster." To say that Adelmar wasn't afraid would be lies, but it didn't really matter if death came sooner or later, right? And if she didn't do something now, she would never get out of here alive.