NekoLen
Tachigami's Personal Slave

Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 04:19 AM

Joey swallowed and swore, kicking the fire again and almost knocking the pot from its perch. "Fucking sickos the lot of them. Let me at 'em... Tomorrow I'll kill them all. Bastards that think they can take and rape and kill whoever they want. I'll get them I'll... I'll shoot their balls off I will." The thought of the beautiful Andrew being hurt, made to do things he didn't want to do. It infuriated him. He thought about Jake. How he had been treated, beaten, hurt... Just because he was a pretty boy.

He stood up, feeling like going back to the town now. But then he glanced down at Andrew and saw the terror in the young man's eyes. He had scared him. He swore again and sat back down, biting his lip and glaring at the fire. "Sorry."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 AM

Andrew gasped, feeling as if the ground had opened up and swallowed him to his neck. He hadn't meant to give away so much, or insinuate what he had. He'd sentenced them all to death but couldn't bring himself to feel sorry, exactly. They called themselves men of God and turned around and spat on whatever commandments they claimed to follow. But Andrew didn't want to face them again. He shook his head hard, breathing hard until he could calm the tremor that would have shaken his voice otherwise. "N-no, no, please don' go back... They'll get w... whatever's coming to them, I just don't want to think about them anymore..."

He doubled over, staring at the ground between his legs and picking up a small beetle that had been crawling there. He didn't kill it, though---he set it on his shaking hand, steadying himself as it found its way across his skin. Something---anything---to distract from his admission and subsequent pleading for Joey to keep away from his tormentors.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 04:33 AM

Joey breathed heavily, watching Andrew pick up a grass beetle and let it crawl across his hand. He remembered doing the same thing when he was young and trying to think about where to go next. He'd catch fireflies and put them in a jar, that way they would keep his campsite lit. As he thought about the comforting childhood thoughts, he calmed down and looked to Andrew. "I'm sorry, I just... You're right. We'll stay away from that town. I promise you, though, that nothing evil will ever happen to you."

He took the snake and vegetables off the fire and found some clean flat branches they could eat off. He gave Andrew a decent amount and saved the rest for himself. The air was becoming cooler and mosquitoes started to flock around the water. He put some wet logs on the fire to make the smoke keep the biting insects at bay while the ate. "Are you cold?" he asked Andrew after a few moments of silent eating. "You can have my jacket if ya want."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:44 AM

Andrew nodded slowly, setting the wriggling beetle on the grass and drawing up his legs. It put a little strain on his back, but not much, and he felt safe burying his head in his arms and nodding at Joey's reassurances. He hadn't heard those kinds of words in years. White Tide would be there with her sweet, comforting presence, but she couldn't speak of course. Couldn't tell him she would be there for him. While he knew that, sometimes he just needed to hear the words.

Looking up, he accepted the offered food and used his hands to handle it. It was simple, but it wasn't bread and dried, oversalted meat, so in comparison it was something that felt like finding a sack full of gold and diamonds. He shook his head at the offer, though, looking up to Joey. "No thanks... I can handle the cold. It's a nice break from the heat if anything else..." He sighed and nibbled gently at a slice of potato. It was bland, but fine with him. "I've... been wanting to see so much..." He admitted. "Places that seem so far away... I want to see... the ocean. But I want to see the forests out further west, too... That... That was where I was going, with Tide, when I stopped at that town." He swallowed hard, feeling his throat constrict. He hadn't thought he'd make it.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 AM

"Hmmm..." Joey nodded, listening to the native's dreams and wishes. "I've seen the ocean before. Rode there once with my Pretty Boy. It's very... Big." Like a desert made of water. He remembered standing on the sandy shores and marvelling at just how big the ocean was. "Ain't like a river. And it's always moving... The natives down there, they catch fish in these little canoes..." It had been oddly romantic, and they had been caught up in the scenery several times. Joey couldn't remember a night when he and Jake didn't make love by the ocean. "Haven't been to the forest, though. Heard its very different to the desert. Lotsa trees and animals."

He finished his food and chucked the make shift plate away. He went to where the rest of his clothes were kept and put on his shirt and jacket, and picked up his hat. As he made his way back to the fire, he saw a swarm of fireflies hovering over the tree. He smiled and caught one, bringing it to Andrew. "I used to make lamps outta these. Just need a jar and they glow all night until they die."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:57 AM

Andrew looked up, closed his eyes, trying to understand what Joey described. But he couldn't. Seeing a river or lake was one thing, but trying to comprehend the vastness of an ocean without actually having seen it before was hard to do. Impossible, really. He gave up and sighed, instead thinking about those forests. The mystery, the beauty, the color. The color. That was what he wanted to see. He wanted to see flowers of every kind, dirt and grass all over, rivers and lakes and little streams and the danger that existed there. The ocean was probably gorgeous, but the forests called to him more. He wanted to know of the natives that lived, there, who formed permanent settlements, lived in longhouses. He wanted to see a longhouse.

"I want to see the forests..." He sighed, leaning forward and placing the empty leaf in the fire. "The oceans... would be nice. But I'm sure White would love the shade of the forests. Her skin is sensitive under the sun all day..." He looked behind him, following where Joey was until he returned. "Yeah...? I never did that..." He hadn't done much when he was younger. "I didn't even know these things existed..." He stared at the glowing insect in awe as it crawled on the glass inside the jar.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-17-2014, 09:52 AM

"We could catch more," Joey said, smiling at how curious Andrew looked when he watched the faintly glowing insect crawling inside the jar. He sat close to the fire, finding his bottle of whiskey and taking a long drink. "They flash like that to attract a mate... I know, 'cause Jake told me... He was pretty clever... Taught me lots of things about nature 'nd that." There were other things Jake was good at, and thinking about them made him sigh. He missed his pretty boy.

"You ever... Had someone in your life, Andy? I suppose you are pretty young to have had a lover." That and he seemed to have spent most his life alone with only his horse for company.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:46 PM

Andrew smiled at the idea. Catching the strange little insects sounded like a nice idea, but keeping them until they died actually hurt a little. "M... maybe we could... let them go before they die. I wouldn't feel right, killing them like that..." Even if they didn't live all that long a life. He wished he knew more about the insects. His father hadn't, but he'd told Andrew that his own father had been the good friend of an Indian chief and had learned many, many things about the land and hunting, making one's own clothes and even some simple, but beautiful instruments. He'd told Andy about them, but had never shown him.

He looked up and felt an odd, unusual emptiness settle in his stomach. It was so unnatural he settled down and pressed a hand against himself. "Um... no... I was... I was alone when I was fourteen. And I just... wandered around. And then when White found me... I thought she was all I needed. I never really thought about it I guess..." But now he did. The looming idea of Joey leaving him behind, perhaps when he screwed up beyond reconciliation, was an idea that hurt his heart, hurt as if an iron hand were squeezing it, made his eyes sting until he blinked the feeling away.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-20-2014, 12:31 AM

"Well, you are young. I didn't think about it until recently. I mean, I am getting older and older... It's nice to know what love is at least once in your life time. I hope you find a nice girl and have a family..." He imagined visiting Andrew and his family, seeing his kids and his beautiful wife. Would they have horses? Maybe he'd want to return to his tribe, if they ever found it. He took another drink from the bottle of whiskey.

"They're just behind the tree. Pretty easy to catch." He got to his feet and helped Andrew up. "How's your back feeling?"

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:44 AM

Andrew almost snorted, but bit back the sound. Really, Joey thought he'd get a wife someday? Did he really think Andrew, already probably as feminine as a woman, was even interested in the opposite sex? He didn't bring that up, however. It didn't seem like the right time, but then, no time seemed like it. He didn't want to say anything about his preferences until he as absolutely sure Joey wouldn't mind.

When offered a hand, he stood and winced. "Um... Well, not bad. Not too bad." He tried for a real smile, and almost managed it, then it disintegrated into a small grimace. But he brushed it off and rubbed a hand against the thick bandages, feeling the wound that had been stitched up and biting his lip, turning his face away so Joey didn't see and creeping around the tree. Gasping and smiling, Andrew stared at the dancing lights of odd, hovering insects. Flashing to attract a mate, Joey had said.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-20-2014, 01:06 AM

"I don't want you over stretching yourself," Joey said, reaching up and carefully cupping another lightning bug in his hand. "They can't see us coming, as long as you do it carefully and slowly." He tossed the captured bug into the jar, where it found the other firefly and touched antennas. "We can let 'em go before they die."

He caught a few more, before retiring against the tree, watching Andrew catch them. His memories making him think about when he and Jake had done the same thing. They ended up on top of each other, surrounded in jars with fireflies in. It was like they had candles to light up their passionate love. But by the time they had woken, the fireflies were all dead. Like Jake... He wiped the tears from his eyes, hoping Andrew hadn't seen. It was dark after all.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 AM

He was reassured by the promise to let them go. Andrew wasn't looking forward to finding dozens of dead insects in the jars some hours from now. It would feel so wrong. He reached out, lighting his hand against the flashing insects and letting them crawl on his hands. They clustered on his skin, finding pairs, sometimes spreading their wings and taking off again. He didn't put them into the jar, though. He watched them light up his hand at random, blinking intervals, crawl up his arm.

With a little smile, Andrew looked up to where Joey was and then quickly looked away. Was he crying...? No, probably not. It was still a bit warm, maybe he was just swiping at sweat. It would grow cooler when the horizon completely darkened. Andy sat on his legs on the ground, shivering at the many, many legs that found their way up and down his arm, shoulder, and chest.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-20-2014, 02:07 AM

Joey couldn't help but to laugh. Andrew was glowing like some sort of light decoration. He wiped the tears from his eyes again, hating how much he was affected by Jake's death. He hated showing how weak he was, he hated feeling these emotions. Part of him hated Jake for dying, for making him fall in love. But would it have been better if he had never even met the man? He didn't know, and he sighed, leaving the tree and going over to where Andrew sat. "You can have my bedroll and blankets. It's going to be cold tonight, and we can't have you catching a cold or something... Not with those wounds."

He brushed some of the insects off Andrew and chuckled as they crawled onto him instead. Soon it felt like he was wearing ticklish gloves, which flashed and moved.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:32 AM

Andrew looked up when Joey approached. He wanted to go against Joey, but knew he'd be shot down very quickly. So he just sighed, nodded, and smiled when Joey took a few of the insects for himself. With a gentle shake he made the rest on his arm take flight, and scooped up the jar. "It'd be nice if you let them all go." He said, handing off the jar to Joey's free hand and standing. It took a moment, but he managed with barely a groan of pain, and stood up straight. "I guess I'll... sleep, then... It's been a while since I didn't have a nightmare..." Physical or mental. He found the blanket Joey spoke of and pulled it toward the bedroll. Instead of lying in the middle, he curled up on the very edge, a silent invitation that he didn't mind Joey being so close to him if he so wished.

He was close to the fire. It was warm, cutting the chill in the air and the breeze. Covering slightly, he stared at the crackling fire and smiled a little. It was inviting. Gentle, but... dangerous. Sighing, Andrew closed his eyes and turned his face into the bedroll.

Last edited by Tachigami; 07-26-2014 at 06:58 AM..

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-20-2014, 09:29 AM

Joey watched Andrew go, frowning slightly. The young man seemed annoyed, but had decided not to say anything against him. He shook his hand free of the fireflies and looked at the container. He opened the lid and several of them flew out, glad to join the glowing cloud nearby. He watched them for a long time, well into the night. He only moved when his eyes started to get itchy with sleepiness. Turning around, he went back to the tree and found Andrew curled up.

The native boy looked so adorable. So... fragile. Joey shook his head. What sort of sick ideas were running through his head? But it did look warm. "Is it alright if I sleep next to you?" he asked quietly, receiving a sleepy grunt in reply. Whether Andrew was awake or answering in his sleep, Joey was happy to be able to lie next to him, back to back.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 PM

Andrew managed to fall asleep faster than he'd anticipated. Knowing that mystery waited in his dreams, the fear didn't keep him awake. The fire seemed just inches away when sleep fully claimed him, creating a glow that shadowed the forms that took over his dreams. Whatever they were, human or some other form, they didn't take on anything greater than flat shades, as if scribbles drawn on paper. Then one seemed to gain more substance, and speak. It startled him into semi-wakefulness and he blinked, studying the fire. It was low now, a few dying embers and a couple stray flares here and there. Andrew shifted slightly, feeling a warm pressure against his back. Turning, he carefully lifted himself up and turned his back to what was left of the fire.

It was still dark, but the glowing insects had vanished. It was probably near dawn, but the sky was still as black as midnight. Andrew moved forward to the form beside him, curling against his back and hiding his face against the source of warm life. Hopefully Joey wouldn't mind; or move away. He fell asleep again almost immediately to the sound of a breeze rustling the tree nearby and Night and White Tide somewhere near the fire.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-26-2014, 12:20 AM

Joey's dreams were never good, and he often woke up many times during the night. He'd see Jake, lying in a pool of blood and dying. He'd see demons trying to open up the Earth to swallow him. Tonight was the same as always, and when he woke up from a nightmare, he rolled over and found the nearest thing to hold. It was morning when he woke up again, burying his face into Andrew's hair before realising he was hugging the man tightly. He let go, lightly kissing the top of Andrew's head.

His horse slept nearby, lying down like a foal. He smiled and went to the dead fire, starting it up again so they could have some of the left over dinner for breakfast.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:32 AM

When he opened his eyes again, the sun was above the horizon and he was alone on the bedroll. For a moment, between moving and waking up fully, Andrew thought he had been held by Joey. But the man was on the other side of the low fire now. Whatever had happened while he was between sleep and wakefulness had faded away without a word. He sighed, stretched on his stomach and froze when the wounds on his back threatened him. He bit back a groan and rolled onto his side, sitting up and looking for White Tide. She was lying nearby, and had raised her head when Andrew sat up, nickering quietly.

He ran his hands through his messy hair and turned his gaze to Joey. "Morning." He offered, and smiled a little at the man. He didn't let on that he was stiff and in a greater amount of pain than yesterday. The wounds were healing he was sure, but they pained him terribly while they did so. But holding Joey back another day when he felt well enough to ride just wouldn't do. Joey would get bored of him soon enough, Andrew was sure, positive, if they didn't begin to move.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM

Joey managed to get the fire starting again and noticed the way Andrew winced. His wounds would need one more day to heal before he'd be good enough to ride. Joey was glad the oasis was just outside of a nearby town, and not somewhere they would be caught by the lawmen or other outlaws. "After breakfast, I need to have a look at your wounds and make sure everything is healing up nicely. You should be able to ride again tomorrow. We'll stop in town for supplies..." He remembered what Andrew had said about wanting to avoid towns.

"If you want... We can avoid the town and stop at the local tribe for supplies. I understand if you are afraid of white men."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 PM

Andrew stiffened without realizing it, and willed himself to calm down. Tomorrow. Tomorrow. They had to stay here another day because of Andrew. He looked down and blinked, glaring at a crack in the earth beside him until he eased out of that bolt of horror. Just one more day. That wouldn't bother Joey, he hoped. It didn't seem to, anyway. He shook his head and looked up again, trying for a more confident smile and hoping he succeeded.

"No, it's okay... You said it's not a bad place and I believe you. I mean, it'd be stupid to be afraid of everyone, wouldn't it?" He wasn't afraid of Joey, though Andrew knew the man could do anything he wanted. So far he'd been kind, asking before he did anything, never overstepping unspoken boundaries. He was a good man, and there were more like him, and it wasn't Andrew's right to put the same tag on every white person he met. Not all of them were bad, but in the back of his mind he was still cautious.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 06-03-2014, 12:13 AM

Joey nodded, throwing the leftovers into a pot and making a stew. "Well, I hope you won't get too bored staying here another day. I just don't want to risk your wounds opening up again." He turned to look at Andrew, thinking about how they had slept together. The young man would have been so easy to take advantage of. It had been so long since he had any kind of intimacy... He sighed and stared back at the fire. But he wouldn't do it. Even though he murdered and stole, he would never force someone to be with him.

"How do they feel?" he asked, mentioning the marks across Andrew's back.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 AM

Andrew shrugged a little, trying to keep his back arched just the right way so he didn't have to feel the rub of the bandages too much. "I guess you can imagine..." He said faintly. "They don't exactly feel great, but..." He paused and bit his bottom lip. "... I guess it could be worse." He finished, curling his arms around his legs and rocking back and forth where he sat. The open area made him somewhat nervous. Knowing White was nearby helped calm him, and knowing Joey, with his guns and more sturdy body, helped take the painful edge off. But in the back of his mind he was convincing himself that the deputies and officers were around every corner, waiting to jump on him the moment he let his guard down.

When a twig snapped under Night's hoof suddenly, Andrew jumped and caught his breath.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 06-03-2014, 12:30 AM

"You alright? You look para... Pura... You look nervous," Joey pointed out, stirring the mixture until it was cooked. "We'll be fine out here, trust me. Nothing to worry about around here." The lawmen never seemed to come by this oasis, and even if they did, they could just pretend to be miners or merchants. Joey would have to pretend Andrew was his slave boy. He voiced this to Andrew, so if the time did come, the native would know what to do.

"There's been gold found in som' rivers to t'East, we could pretend to be miners." He shrugged and lifted the soup off the fire, pouring it into bowls he had gotten from Night's saddlebags earlier. He handed one to Andrew. "It ain't much, but once we get to town we can have nicer food."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:46 AM

Andrew took a deep breath, nodding at the idea. He knew he was being stupid, jumping at shadows and the most innocent of noise, but that was a habit he doubted he'd get out of anytime soon. And the idea of being a slave boy to Joey bloomed mixing feelings in the pit of Andrew's stomach. Appealing, almost, and terrifying. He shook himself and looked around, taking the bowl when it was offered. "Thanks..."

He closed his eyes, tipping the small bowl to his lips and carefully working around the heat to sip it gently. He didn't care that there wasn't much right now---he was just glad to have something other than half-stale bread and tepid water. Something with heat and weight, with more nutrition than the common rock. He smiled toward Joey, who had saved him from the hanging, glad that he'd come by when he did.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 06-03-2014, 01:18 AM

"You know it'd be an act," Joey said with a shrug. He didn't want Andrew to feel like Joey actually wanted to own him. Andrew was free to leave whenever he felt like, though Joey hoped he'd stay. It was nice having company again. "Ya know, you aren't the first one I've come across and saved... Jake was... In the desert, half mad by thirst. Never did ask him why he was there." Such a beautiful man, Jake had been. Maybe he was a slave to someone, or the son of a overbearing merchant. In any case, the man was half dead by the time Joey had taken him to an oasis. This very one.

"He was mighty smart, but decided to stay with me... But refused to learn how to shoot. I'm not letting what happened to Jake happen to you. You are learning to shoot whether you like it or not. If you are gonna stay around me, that is."