Menelaus
Spartan Warrior Extraordinairé

Old 12-28-2015, 04:31 PM

in the UK we celebrate Black History Month, and its celebrated by peoples of all cultures. I think its important to educate everyone to these things, no matter what race colour or cree. its the first step towards one people, one nation on a global scale ��

Clambake
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Clambake Send a message via MSN to Clambake

Old 12-28-2015, 05:06 PM

Oddly enough, I don't know anyone in my daily life who celebrates Kwanzaa. I remember hearing vague details about it in elementary school, but they never really told us what it was about. I could take this as an opportunity to educate myself about the holiday.

Liunesta
The Lovely Liune

Old 12-28-2015, 07:53 PM

Same thing in the US. However, it seems as though giving a Black History Month is just a way to separate us and take away from the accomplishments of our people. We are giving a special month for our history and heritage? Our history is American history. It's the way I see it. Just an opinion. My thinking is not the thinking of the world, so our history month is needed to bring to light our true history. Not what was kept out of books when my parents were growing up.
Kwanzaa is a way to honor our history outside of it's designated month. At one time, it was a sort of Christmas boycott, but modern day Kwanzaa is meant to go side by side with Christmas, as both holidays are different at their core.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-28-2015, 07:56 PM

hiya, Lu
have a great last week of 2015

Liunesta
The Lovely Liune

Old 12-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Thanks, hummy! You too! I will do my best. I think it will be a great week to end a great year!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-28-2015, 08:08 PM

i'm happy to hear that, Lu =3

Liunesta
The Lovely Liune

Old 12-28-2015, 09:27 PM

What will you be getting in to for NYE?

kelseydee
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-28-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liunesta View Post
Happy Kwanzaa! Today's principle is umoja (unity).
Unity is a guiding principle in most religions, but sadly most people ignoir that part.
Vivala unity!!!!!
The old motto on American money was, e plurus unun.... From many one.
Happy Kwanzaa.

marnie

Old 12-28-2015, 09:47 PM

you're so right
religion is unity

Liunesta
The Lovely Liune

Old 12-29-2015, 01:34 AM

Tomorrow's principle is cooperative economics, ujamaa.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 12-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Happy 4th day of Kwanzaa!!

How is the weather for everyone?
I ended up getting a shit ton of snow last night that I have to shovel this morning. c:

Liunesta
The Lovely Liune

Old 12-29-2015, 03:34 PM

The sun is coming out over here. We had some rain, but it seems we are getting a little break. Happy 4th day of Kwanzaa to you!

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-29-2015, 05:52 PM

it is still cloudy where I am

Liunesta
The Lovely Liune

Old 12-29-2015, 09:01 PM

It started raining again. Rain is not so bad.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-29-2015, 09:02 PM

I thought it was raining here too, but I think that is just the clock ticking

Kory

Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menelaus View Post
in the UK we celebrate Black History Month, and its celebrated by peoples of all cultures. I think its important to educate everyone to these things, no matter what race colour or cree. its the first step towards one people, one nation on a global scale ��
I HATE Black History Month in the USA.

When I was growing up, in a small town in Minnesota, I was the only ethnic child in class and every day of Black History Month was pure torture. I watched Black people being hosed down by police officers, getting pepper sprayed by police. I even saw the boy who was brutally murdered and had his head cut off... yeah, I SAW HIS HEAD. HIS MUTILATED HEAD AFTER IT WAS CUT OFF AND THROWN IN THE RIVER. I WAS LIKE FUCKING 10 YEARS OLD!!!

It scarred me for life, I will NEVER forget that boy's "face".

I HATED Black History Month and every time we saw a movie about black people and their trials all of the white kids in class would turn around and look at me... Right, as if I was ACTUALLY THERE OR SOMETHING. THE FUCK?!

I HATE Black History Month. I wish it were a month to celebrate Black successes and NOT remember all the death, misery and pain that black people went through to get simple freedoms in this country.

Okay, I'm done.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-29-2015, 10:20 PM

I'm sorry to hear that :(

marnie

Old 12-30-2015, 12:38 AM

*hugs Ava*

Liunesta
The Lovely Liune

Old 12-30-2015, 02:04 AM

Ava, I hate that they didn't show the good history with the bad history. Yes, the bad needs to be taught as a remembrance of what not to allow or do in our country again. (Yet somehow groups of people are being treated unfairly.) There is so much good history that they should be flooding the books with. I wish they would strip away black history month and put our history with ALL American history. Example, the traffic light is something that is used every day. Why is it only in Feb. that it's worth mentioning its creator was African American. American history is American history. Historically, Black History Month was needed because there were people that would wipe us from history books completely if they could. However, it is not this way anymore. Just more separation in a country that needs unification. That's my soapbox speech for tonight, ha ha.

Menelaus
Spartan Warrior Extraordinairé

Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 PM

wow, Black History Month's certainly celebrated differently in the U.S. sorry you all got the pooey end of the stick. here in the UK its a celebration of the achievements rather than a reminder of the tragedies. from 150,000 BC, when the first modern humans migrated from Africa, through to Barack Obama’s inauguration as the first black president of the US in 2009, the first World Cup in Africa, Malorie Blackman’s appointment as children’s laureate in 2013, Nelson Mandela's anti-apartheid revolution, Beyoncé Knowles' bestselling music, jazz pioneer Louis Armstrong, award-winning writer and poet Maya Angelou, the list of inspiring figures highlighted in our black history month goes on and on. we have ours in October, and its a time of year when the culture, history and achievements of black and ethnic minority communities take centre stage. its celebrated by all here, and even our Prime minister, David Cameron gives an official speech about Black History Month. our schools utilize a mix of lesson ideas and resources to help bring the event to life for children of all ages throughout the year. in primary schools (ages three to eleven) they look at what Black History Month is and why it’s held, introduce significant figures such as Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela and Wilfred Wood, the first black bishop in the Church of England. students research and write the biography of a historical black figure of their choice, and work in groups to create a timeline showing the history of black people in Britain. they cover a wide range of topics, including the civil rights movement and heroes of sport, music and entertainment. the theme this year was 'community heroes' so students got to work in groups to find examples of black people they admire in their own communities, now or in the past. even their classrooms are dressed for the celebration. the students get some food for thought with a bit of classroom cookery, getting them to make easy Afro-Caribbean inspired recipes, or they compile a playlist of music by black artists and invite some elderly black members of the community into school to talk about their own stories. of course they also learn about racism in history, but there is more focus put on the benefits and challenges of living in a multicultural society. the education on black history continues into secondary schools (ages eleven to eighteen), but with a far more grown up theme. black and ethnic students are taught they can change their community, they don't have to escape it. next year is the 90th anniversary of Black History Month, so I'd expect something spectacular to happen ��

Last edited by Menelaus; 12-30-2015 at 06:28 PM..

Liunesta
The Lovely Liune

Old 12-30-2015, 06:56 PM

That sounds awesome! Growing up, I learned about both the good and the bad, but more so about the good.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-31-2015, 04:40 AM

Same here, Liunesta.

Liunesta
The Lovely Liune

Old 12-31-2015, 04:44 PM

Well, Kwanzaa ends tomorrow.

Kory

Old 12-31-2015, 05:03 PM

Kwanzaa went so fast this year. D: