kikotia
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to kikotia

Old 03-06-2010, 08:11 AM

I only sign when I remember to, but I normally don't. When I do, it depends on the size and it's use. If it's small I just use my initials and the year somewhere on the piece so if someone were to try to claim it, they would have to re-draw the place where I signed. If it's big and I don't really want a lot of people to use it (unless I give them permission) I use a program to add a watermark with a link to my dA profile.

arashi_dabong

Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM

since i'm onLy good at drawing by hand,

i show my pride in my skiLL

(no matter how incompetent it may seem to others)

by signing my works.^^

i sign with my Japanese name and 2 smiLeys upright smiLeys.

birin [in hiragana] =3 X3 birin [in katakana]

so it's something like that. XP

XD

Prismacolor

Old 03-06-2010, 11:16 AM

I sign mine but I usualy hide the signature in it somewhere, i used to use my initals but i was told by one of my art professors to use your name because otherwise peoplell never know who it is and its more likely other peole will claim it and just make an excuse about why the sig is whatever it is.

RobinGoodfellow
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 AM

I used to do a little box with my initals in the lower right-hand corner but now...well, it's not like there's a point to doing it, as most of my art dosen't go anywhere more than three feet from my desk. It'd be neat if I had something impressive like some artists do, but my initials, my signature, they're just not that cool. I once had someone tell me (strangly enough, this was right before I started putting my initials in my work too. hmmm...-sarcasm-) that you wern't a real artist until you signed you're work. Weirdest. Substitute. EVAH. But after I had stopped, I realized that by those same standards, you also wern't a real artist until you moved to Paris, sold a maximum of four (but a minimum of one) paintings (and they have to be paintings mind you. No charcol, pastels, or any other medium is to be used. Even watercolors are frowned on ):<), either had an unrequitted love, or a marriage with someone who hated you. And the terminal illness! You also have to have either a terminal or mental illness. Sorry about the wall'o text there

Alexagirlie
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-16-2010, 02:41 AM

I've only recently started to sign my art again, i didn't for the longest time
i do a lot of commissions and i don't want anyone claiming the work as their own.. i sign my name and the date
K. Neuman March 15 2010
i'll write small and line it up with a part of the existing lineart
Example
i find it blends in okay this way
also when it's something i really like and i post it on DA i will add a watermark which is super easy since DA does it for you

Luscara
Luscara
Send a message via AIM to Luscara

Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 PM

I sign everything I do, unless I forget, and that happens, but my style is pretty distinct. Generally I'll sign my full name and the date, because that's what I was taught. Sometimes I sign my alias, but that's rare, and only if I feel that I don't want the person I'm drawing for to know my real name.
I document everything I draw, and my signature is just part of the documentation.

Frawesome
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-28-2010, 06:26 PM

If I'm giving art to someone, I always sign it cause I don't want someone ripping off my work, but if I'm just drawing it for practice or something and I upload it to somewhere like DeviantArt, then I don't. c:

jupiter
inactive account

Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 AM

No. I don't sign anything I draw; I think it's obnoxious.

I can understand why some/most artists do it, though.

McNugget
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 05-20-2010, 04:20 PM

I only sign my art if the drawing I made is for someone, because everytime someone asks me to draw them a picture or something, they want me to sign it. :) Other than that, if I'm drawing soley for the purpose of just enjoyment, I do not sign the artwork.... Well, unless I think it deserves to be signed.. :XD

KatGoddess
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-24-2010, 05:46 PM

i sign most of my requested art just so they cant use it without attributing it to me...if you become famous enough some artists have sold a black canvas with just their signature on it

gioistegek
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Yes i sign my art, Most of the time it's my nickname with a sort of S through it XD

jazzkitteh
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-26-2010, 04:07 PM

I only sign or stamp things I display. I see no point in signing something no one will see.

I have a special brush in Photoshop that is my signature. Though I don't use it much now that I am using SAI. But I am still sure to put my deviant art name on it in default text somewhere unobtrusive.

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-31-2010, 03:44 PM

Nope, I never sign my art. I think the whole concept is part of me being a different kind of artist. It's complicated. My focus is on the quality of the artwork, not who made it.
Like if someone was building a road, what's more important, a good quality road or knowing who built that road?. I suppose it's a bit like that.

Clarise
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 AM

I usually use my initials and the last two digits of the year. So, I use "ARK '10." I find that initials are small enough to not be distracting.

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 AM

Since I tend to draw fan-art, I will often put the char's name on the back in case I forget later on.

Hikarii
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-07-2010, 02:14 AM

I do sign-- sometimes.

If it's pencilwork, I have no problem signing at all, but when it's digital art where I've CG'd and colored in everything.. I'm a little hesitant about signing it then because I have no idea where to put it! For one thing, if I put it in the corner or whatnot, someone could photoshop it away and steal the work (like anyone would want to, but I'm saying it would be very easy with my pieces), but if I put it directly over the artwork, then it's distracting and I feel the viewer won't get to enjoy the work like I would like them to.

It's something that keeps me on the fence a lot!

happygrim

Old 06-15-2010, 06:02 AM

Yes I always sign my art, no matter how crappy it is. I do it to avoid art theft. I sign my full name,the date, and I water mark the crap out of it if it's digital. I know that it makes the art look ugly, but I've seen a bunch of people get their art stolen. There was this one case I remember from a while ago. Someone stole this girl's art and sold prints on ebay. Seeing so much theft I've gotten really paranoid that I'll be next. D:

IadulDraculai
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 PM

I usually try to sign my work, unless it's a graphic piece (like a logo for a company).
It doesn't matter if your work is 'horrable' or a 'joke' or not, always always ALWAYS sign your work. With things like Devaintart and such, art theft is so easy these days, and it's a good habit to get into just in case you're rich and famous someday :)

even on fan art, try to at least do a quick sig on the bottom.
I don't sign with my given name, but with an alias (registered with the state), if it's just somethign I'm posting online. It's a way to keep my identity secure, but still tell people that it belongs to me.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 07-17-2010, 04:26 PM

I hardly sign with my real name. Most the time it's "Mystic" and the date or sometimes I use my pen name, Andy Starr. It all depends on what the piece means. I almost always date things though.

muffin08
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 AM

I go to an arts college, and it ends up being a detriment to sign your art (this is fine art I'm talking about rather than Graphics or Illustration).

Personally I don't like to sign my work whether it be digital or done by hand, if I do sign it, its always on the back.

I've seen other artists use it as part of the artwork, which I think is interesting too.

StarWand
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-09-2015, 10:19 PM

Oh, yes...in preferably pink ink and with a small mist of approximately three hearts on either side of my name, six in total. Six is my favorite number, and I STRIVE to represent love!
Love and kisses!

okios
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-13-2016, 11:42 AM

Yes, but then I started using different usernames, so I just write the date only most of the time.

IcetheArtist
Vampire

Old 07-17-2016, 07:05 AM

~~
my signature is the Kanji for the word Ice and the pi symbol

Ice (My name) 3.14 (my birthday)

iSign because iLyke to sign
its fun finding a good place for my signature
iEnjoy it
iDon't fear theft or anything

~~