Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-18-2011, 12:55 AM

Or is it? So many people see sites like this and say "why would you bother? You're just talking to pretend people and pixels."
But I'm not a pretend person, and neither are you guys. I mean, we may not have met face to face, but I'd say that I have friends on here.

Anyway, my point is... do you consider places like menewsha to be an actual world? Do you feel embarrassed if you're seen in "public" unintentionally wearing something hideous? Is this just an expansion of your "real world" or is it a game?

Flink
FRINKZIRRA
Send a message via AIM to Flink Send a message via MSN to Flink Send a message via Yahoo to Flink

Old 09-18-2011, 12:56 AM

D: What do you mean it's not real? ;_; Why did no one tell me this before?

Er, I mean. It's hard to explain. I don't think of it as an actual place. But I do acknowledge that there's an actual person on the other end when talking to them.

Aside from that fact that all of Mene's staff is actually robots. But you didn't hear that from me!

Vickyll3
Multi Media
Penpal

Old 09-18-2011, 01:15 AM

I'm on mene where ever I'm at that has internet
My friends sometimes say Oh I'm crazy for being on this site
But I love it, and I donate when I can to keep it alive

I consider my friends on here real, though I don't post much
Every time I do post and say hi to them, they always treat me the same
They are never mean or unwelcoming because I don't post much
And I love them

Well beside the way I dress my avatar I would say yea its pretty much real for me, no it isnt my life but its apart of it

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 09-18-2011, 01:20 AM

I have friends here, some of the best discussions of my life... heck, I even met a boy who I feel more strongly about than any I've met physically. >.>

Take it how you will, but I love Menewsha. To me, it's a perfect example of the amazing ability to form communities and entire identities online that the internet has given us.

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...
Send a message via AIM to Vix Viral Send a message via MSN to Vix Viral

Old 09-18-2011, 01:20 AM

It's a social network just like things like facebook but with a much higher level of anonymity and many more things to discuss and do and instead of relying on profile pictures, we have customizable avatars that portray bits and pieces of our personality.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 09-18-2011, 01:30 AM

Pretty much what Vix said. I look at it as a social networking site as well. Just because you don't meet someone doesn't mean that there's not a chance to make close friends. Plus, if I was to become good enough friends with someone on here I'd be all for meeting.

No, I am not a real person. Just for the record. =P

Krissy
(^._.^)ノ

Old 09-18-2011, 01:38 AM

There are plenty of things that people can not touch, feel, or see, but they still believe in it. As such, people can either embrace or accept it or they can reject or deny its existence. God, love, mental disorders, magic, the list goes on.

In any case, I see Mene or other avatar sites as a way to communicate with people who live somewhere else. Plus, it lets me dress up a pixel doll! I used to be majorly into doll makers when I was younger. xD

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flink View Post
D: What do you mean it's not real? ;_; Why did no one tell me this before?

Er, I mean. It's hard to explain. I don't think of it as an actual place. But I do acknowledge that there's an actual person on the other end when talking to them.

Aside from that fact that all of Mene's staff is actually robots. But you didn't hear that from me!
I agree with this.

Also....doesn't that make you a robot as well flinkie?

Himalia
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 09-18-2011, 07:04 PM

I don't see this as a real world, no. However, I do realise that every user on this site is a real person and I interact with them in the same way that I would if we were speaking face to face (so manners and basic acts of human kindness are at play) mainly because I don't like it when people are nasty to me, so I treat them the way I like to be treated.

Forum sites are very similar to social networking sites, so I don't really see why people would be ashamed to be on here. It's no different from going on Twitter or Facebook, people have profiles and they portray themselves the way they want others to see them.

To put it simply, the site may not be a real world, but everyone on it is part of the world and makes up a society of its own.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM

Beep bloop blorp

Er, I mean:
I'm used to growing up in the countryside where there aren't a whole lot of people available to talk to locally. I can't simply walk across the street, knock on a door and see if my friends can come out to play. Despite going to school in an urban center, being at home usually meant that I had to be alone. Turning to the internet was one way to "hang out" and make friends without the pesky problem of geography. So it's always been ingrained in my mind that I'm connecting with real people around the world.

So this is an expansion of my real world. Sure it's pretty anonymous, but that's not a bad thing. It means that I don't have to be embarrassed about making bad jokes or letting you guys see my avatar without its makeup on. :lol:

I most definitely have friends on here. I can think of a ton of Mene users that I'd love to meet in real life, it feels like I already know them. I felt the same on past forums I visited back in middle and high school. Those were people I grew up with. I'd be sad if they suddenly disappeared or lost contact!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-18-2011, 11:39 PM

I think it's a shame that some people are so closed-minded towards internet communities that they insist they're not real. That's like saying someone you were a pen palwith isn't real, just because they're in another country and you're unlikely to ever meet them.

I've had some of the best times of my life sat here in front of the computer, either with you guys, or with the people in my email group, sat in a chat room. With those guys I've laughed until I've cried many a time. I have met a bunch of them several times though. We had a day out in Sherwood Forest, and another at The Deep in Hull which is a big aquarium, plus get all got together for one person's birthday. The best thing about those kind of meetings is even though you're meeting people in the flesh for the first time, you know eachother already, so there's no awkwardness.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-19-2011, 05:10 AM

I don't care what I wear as long as I personally don't look like crap... but then... until my wife got involved I usually tried as hard as I could to go AGAINST fashion in any way except on mene...

I hate fashion trends... so while it may not be real... >.>" it's easier to be fashionable here...

Plus I met my wife on a site like this... so it's likely a lot more real for me XD

--

jelly you don't exist :lol: cause you're part of the internet.

I would totally love to meet a bunch of menewshans in real life though... we should all totally move to Japan and make our own town called menewsha.. I dub inso mayor~

Himalia
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 09-19-2011, 03:09 PM

Why do we have to move to Japan? ;O;

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 PM

I think we've got enough people to do a few meet-ups, at least state side. :yes: And there's certainly quite a few New Zealanders and Brits as well.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 PM

I went to a con and met CK and Omi once *waves hand*

I'd LOVE to meet others

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 PM

CK? o.o I always imagine her as like... a 5 ft light brown haired chibi... not sure why...

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 PM

lols, shes taller then that lols. But she does look very much like her avi would suggest. But she is very nice, so is Omi.

Last edited by Cora; 09-19-2011 at 11:11 PM..

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-19-2011, 11:09 PM

NOOOO, they're not real, it's the internets!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 PM

Where they robots too?

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 AM

Beep beep....

I mean... I'm taller than 5 foot and not too chibi. :cry:

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-20-2011, 02:44 AM

I think I'd be weirded out to meet someone from mene. I'd be all... "I swear you had headwings last time I saw you." Or "OMG! You aren't co-ordinated with your background!... Wait... Is this real life?"

Krissy
(^._.^)ノ

Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 AM

This whole topic actually reminds me of an incident where my ex's mom said that because my ex was harassing and belittling me through the internet/texts, that it didn't count as real harassment. :rofl:

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 AM

What do you mean it's not real?! Hehe. I see the people here as people. It's not fake, we're just playing dress up online. I think most peoples real personalities come out on the internet. Sure there are a few crazies here and there that use other peoples pics and claim it to be them. But you have to be careful of identity theft everywhere so *shrug*

In the end reality is what people make of it. What's real for one might be false for another.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-20-2011, 05:03 AM

I totally want to meet jelly irl someday so I can drive her crazy irl too XD mwahahaha

@ Neph - that's why my pic is a kitty with a wizard hat

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Beep beep....

I mean... I'm taller than 5 foot and not too chibi. :cry:
You make a VERY convinceing human if that counts.