'make more money!'

i think what the market place brings is
instant gratification to those who aren't online often
it's a good thing, too, becuase everyone wants something immediately sometimes

i do prefer the exchange
i mostly prefer trading things
i do still try to sell CI's for 2.5k
it's what i have always sold them for

Last edited by hummy; 11-25-2013 at 09:58 AM..

scholar
yes, really

Old 11-23-2013, 11:26 PM

*nods* Good points, hummy.

Hatake Ayumi
College Student

Old 11-25-2013, 02:26 AM

I don't think it's really inflation. It seems like a general lack of supply and increase in demand, leading to a natural increase of the cost of CIs.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 AM

i could be wrong,
but i thought that was what inflation was
the rise of prices of good over time
anyway it's not like gaia
and i don't think it ever will be

scholar
yes, really

Old 11-25-2013, 05:38 PM

Inflation means that your money buys less and less. For instance, 50 cents when I was a kid would buy you a pack of chewing gum, or two if they were on sale. Now, it takes over a dollar. Fifty cents won't get you much of anything anymore.

Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 AM

The massive inflation that has occurred on Gaia was most likely the result in the artificial increase in the gold supply. The currencies used on Gaia and Menewsha could be considered fiat currencies because they are not backed by a physical commodity. Because fiat currencies are not backed by a physical commodity its worth is solely based on what people perceive that currency to be worth which makes them very susceptible to inflation. When Gaia drastically increased the money supply the buying power of the currency was drastically reduced, prices rose, and viola. Inflation. As long as Menewsha does not meddle with the money supply the market should adjust accordingly on its own.

However, it is only natural for prices to increase as supply shrinks and demand increases. The supply of contribution items are finite and as the community grows the rarity of those items increases. If supply is limited individuals are willing to spend more to have that item. In the simplest term supply and demand is a vital mechanism in determining how much of each resource gets used where.

So, this leads to a completely related question: how do you price your items? My first intention was to base the price on the average marketplace price, but the average marketplace price might not always reflect the items true value. Or it could be, who knows. I want to give people fair deals but part of a fair deal is when both parties getting their moneys worth. So what do you use?

Last edited by Admonish Misconstruction; 03-06-2014 at 07:49 AM..

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admonished nonsense View Post
So, this leads to a completely related question: how do you price your items? My first intention was to base the price on the average marketplace price, but the average marketplace price might not always reflect the items true value. Or it could be, who knows. I want to give people fair deals but part of a fair deal is when both parties getting their moneys worth. So what do you use?
Everyone has different ways of doing this - some users sell for the highest marketplace value (and those people usually always have stock due to never being able to sell). Others, like myself, use the "average marketplace value" but I keep in mind what they are being sold for in other threads, and generally asking someone to "make me an offer".

Some users use the average but add on more gold if the item hasn't been sold in a long while. Others inflate considerably based on how old the item is.

The fairest I think is using the average while keeping in mind what others are selling it for.

All that to say, know the exchange XD

Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the reply! Well, it's time to study more.

Bartuc
Sky Pirate

Old 07-05-2014, 06:42 AM

Know going value of items.
Buy for slightly lower.
Sell for slightly higher, but still making a slight profit.

For example;
If an item sells for 5k
You want to try to get it for 4k
Push it back out at 4.5-5k

Always have a set target range. I only ever had a few items not go out on an personal auction. Mainly high-end items such as Green Clover Pin, PL Sash/Boas/Pins. Everything else, as long as it has a decent outgoing rate, should generally sell same/next day.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 04-24-2016, 12:34 PM

Will the At a glance item list or the other CI & EI threads - be updated any time soon? It's been quite a while. I know that Seito use to do these, and doesn't seem to be around. But can someone take this over possibly?

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 04-30-2016, 09:55 AM

I've been slowly overhauling them, but the process is slow going because its a side project of mine and new pixels take priority. It is getting done though, slowly but surely.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 04-30-2016, 10:23 AM

Ohh ok. Thanks for the update Cora :)

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 04-30-2016, 11:41 AM

No Problem. I'm off of school for the summer, so this is one of those things I hope to get done with my free time, so lets cross our fingers!

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 04-30-2016, 12:16 PM

Crossing fingers & toes lol.
You know - Are we users allowed to maybe keep the "at a glance" thread up to date? Or create our own for the exchange? I mean all it takes is us adding the new items in every month/event. Wouldn't it be easier then relying on a mod to do it? Just a thought...

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 10-03-2016, 11:18 PM

My post never got answered, I am still wondering this?
It's like 5-6 months on, and there is still no progress? :(

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-04-2016, 01:01 AM

Sorry, I never saw this. Our few active staff are consumed with event prep right now, but I just made a plea/note in the staff room to remind us to get on updating the darn thing.

So far we haven't had good odds re: having a user maintain a thread like this either. But, obviously our current method doesn't cut it, so lemme get a few more staff opinions & get back to you.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 10-04-2016, 09:29 AM

Okay great, thanks for answering belly :)

Bound Birdie
Mistress of Mischief and Mayhem

Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 AM

Just a late jump on the inflation ~
Gaia also had two other issues that I haven't seen mentioned that I don't see happen here
1. There were people that listed an item for an exceedingly high price or bid and have a mule purchase it cycle back and repeat to drive up the avg value of an item
2. BOTS people would use bots in the chatterbox all the time just bumping with a flob extra and then instead of directly trading those funds to there main and risk being banned they would buy a cheap item and then sell it for the crazy high amount the bot had earned, and then have the bot buy the item, leaving them with the gold and the items with a wacked avg price.
Also I think the main issue here is demand, I simply don't see enough people purchasing CIs enough to go around but I think someone did already point that out
plus I think the trade down time has made people eager and willing to pay a bit more to get that thing they have been waiting forever for ~ I'm hoping things will settle down a bit after the frenzy is over :)

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 AM

Hi guys. I just noticed the guides haven't been updated for awhile.
I know that staff are busy with all the issues. Perhaps a moderator could keep up to date with it?
OR allow members to have a list we can keep updated ourselves.
Cheers :)