xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 AM

EVERYTHING needs a name.
Even a stone has a name, stone is a name, down to the root, noun is a kind of name. It is something to call, it give something identity. Even something is a kind of name.

As someone that likes fantasy and original, I chose the difficult path of not using common names but to create names.

How about you?

Oh, and I need more names for my current Nano story. Need to collect a few Anthroponymy, Toponymy now so when I need it I can just choose from the pool~
Any suggestion is welcome~ it will be used or modified or inspired... somehow~

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 AM

METHODS

Anthroponymy - the Study of HUMAN names.
Toponymy - the Study of PLACE names.

There are various criteria to build a name.
Anagram. Spelling. Pronunciation. Syllables. Mix-Languages.

AnagramX

Place of words.
Pick ANY words that you like. You can add, substract, change position of the alphabets to create another word!

SpellingX

Words can have different spelling to get the similar pronunciation.
Consonant in group.
B, P
CH, J
D, T
F, Ph
G, K, Q
H
L, N, R
M
N
S, Z, X
V, W
Y

SyllableX

Determining the amount of length.
For e ver - 3
Ne ver en ding - 4
Na ming - 2

Mix LanguageX

Shadow from other languages.
Use any translator to get a different language.

Last edited by xuvrette; 07-16-2013 at 12:18 PM..

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 PM

I usually use baby name sites of behindthename.com to find names with meanings that are relevant to the story.

For example, the main character in the novel I'm currently writing is named Teagan, which comes from an older word that means poet, which fits because she is a literature major, and a "Bard" (this has a very specific meaning in the story).

Sometimes I just try to come up with a name that has the kind of feel I want to the story. For example, Sally, who is one of Teagan's roommates, who is very 'normal' and... well, boring isn't quite the right word, but it gives the right idea.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Yep yep, that would be the first way I use.
If my story setting is urban and pretty current.

Unfortunately, my fantasy world is 'alien'. So yeah, no average Joe name in that world. All names are supposely originals.

Maybe next time I should just write stories in this dimension. *nods*

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 10-18-2013, 07:13 PM

My character that I'm currently writing is named Tawney, which is something that plays into things later in the story. His mother's name is Robyn who is dead and his father has a large tattoo on his back of an American robin and a small sparrow in flight. His Robyn and Tawney birds.

I try to have meaning behind the names I choose. Sometimes there is no meaning but it's a name that sounds nice. And sometimes it's a name out of desperation. My monster character is half bear half hawk and his name is... BearHawk. I am all sorts of creative XD

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 10-20-2013, 04:27 AM

BearHawk...
how much more meaningful can it be? XD So straightforward.

I envy people that do not have problem with naming, I am too picky.