Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 PM

It's kind of a hard question. But I guess i would say i prefer my own made up world.

The story i'm currently writing with a friend though is in a fantasy world with a species not of this earth. But the story opens up on what appears to be a regular Earth. So I guess for the beginning setting it seems like I went with writing using our world. BUT its great fun to build your own world even though it takes alot of work either way. You can just have more fun with a made up world. Like creating floating islands in the air.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Not sure, he is not as famous as Stephen King... That is how I judge popularity. XD Even someone like me who don't read Stephen King know he is popular. XD

I prefer names that works in the background. If English, English name. If background is France, use french name. Unless they want to make some kind of... parody? sarcasm? Most of my setting for English had been Fantasy, so... it is weird to have Mary and Gary.

hmm... over this side, the school's logo are often force into meanings.
Like this pen means creativity, the blue means hardwork, compass means intellect... just ANY meaning they can put in.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 08:12 PM ----------

Shadamimi... islands in the air! I love that!
Reminds me of Babylon Floating Garden.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 PM

I'm rather fondly obsessed with skies of Arcadia and plan to use it as kind of the basis of my own world. Been working on it occasionally as a side hobby kind of. With the hopes of completing it someday. In fact, looking at the world i'm creating you can see alot of references pulled from the game itself. But I've still changed it up quite a bit. It's really a cool story i'm working on.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Arcadia... what is it? Sounds familiar...

Island in the air... castle in the air. I love things that are not suppose to be where it is appear!

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvrette View Post
Not sure, he is not as famous as Stephen King... That is how I judge popularity. XD Even someone like me who don't read Stephen King know he is popular. XD

I prefer names that works in the background. If English, English name. If background is France, use french name. Unless they want to make some kind of... parody? sarcasm? Most of my setting for English had been Fantasy, so... it is weird to have Mary and Gary.

hmm... over this side, the school's logo are often force into meanings.
Like this pen means creativity, the blue means hardwork, compass means intellect... just ANY meaning they can put in.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 08:12 PM ----------

Shadamimi... islands in the air! I love that!
Reminds me of Babylon Floating Garden.
judging popularity of tycoons? Popular...it doesn't mean you're a millionaire. it means people know your name and buy your product.

Mary...unless it's religious or the story started in a small earthling town. Names like that which have been so overused aren't even popular anyway. I've met only one person ever named Mary and she goes by another name.

I've never seen a logo like that. This is what I think of when I hear logo. The school's name. UT.

Shadami: basing a story off a game? I do things like that with music videos.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 AM

Skies of Arcadia, it was originally for the dreamcast, and i'm looking for both a dreamcast and the game so i can own the epic awesomeness. i love it that much. It was remade for the game cube and i have it borrowed from a friend... It is just such an amazing game. Gamecube changed alot about it so i'm not to happy with the new version.

In summary, its a bunch of floating islands, and there are good sky pirates and bad sky pirates. and they're flying boats. Not airplanes or jets or anything. just normal ships with sales, or propellor engines than kind of look like submarines. I mean... it is seriously amazing.
and than there are waterfalls and they just drizzle into mist when it gets to low into the atmosphere. There are even desert areas. with a floating oasis that moves around and is hard to find.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 AM

sounds like a really interesting and intricate world. I like when games have things like that, that obviously they put a lot of thought and designing into. Final Fantasy is usually like that too, and Golden Sun. All those games have wonderful world and character design to them.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 AM

also two games i'm very fond of! though i'm stuck in golden sun... i'm durpy apparantly. . .

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 AM

I have the second Golden Sun game, or my brother does. I beat it on some family road trip. Know any other games with unique worlds/characters/plot?

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 AM

personally i think Spyro was an amazing game (always neglect the newer ones. only think about the original three playstation games)

This is a very tough question. and I need a quick break. I'll get back to you on that?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 AM

YESSS! Fuckin' love spyro!! I feel like such a nerd playing the games though. I have the first three games, then the next two for gameboy. The plot of those are kinda cool. I think it's funny how Spyro never ages though.

lol, okay.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 AM

By tycoon? lol. I don't even know Stephen King is tycoon. No I meant their popularity, their fame reaching someone like me who don't read them. (and I did it again, I spell tycoon as typhoon. XD)

Imagine the emblem of Hogwartz. That is what I meant. Emblem and logo. My university logo also have meaning. Even only with clean lines. They would just define the meaning of colour, the lines, positions of it....

Like the 3 vertical lines represent pillars of Integrity, Wisdom and Excellence, supporting the platform on top encouraging freedom of thinking, black and red bla bla bla... I forgot. XD

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM

Dark Cloud, both 1 and 2 have some amazing worlds and unique characters. I love it!

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 05:38 PM

Xuv: But wouldn't Stephen King be a tycoon? He's one of the biggest names in writing next to Stephanie Meyer, JK Rowling, and Tolkein.

Maybe that's an emblem then, not a logo. Normally it's just the school mascot here though. The alma mater would say those thing more wouldn't they?

Shadami: I haven't heard of that game. What makes it so interesting?

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM

Maybe he is, but I don't check his wealth. I heard about his name in terms of books, not because of the top 10 rich guys.

To be honest, I don't even know the existence of the term 'alma meter' until I play Sims 3 last year. x.x Take note of culture and system difference.
For us, emblem and logo is the same thing.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 PM

Let's see... The bad guy that is consistent between the two is the dark genie (hence dark cloud)
In the first one. the dark genie is awakened and he has extreme evil powers. and he goes around destroying the world. But the good fairy. (he's an old man, kinda looks like a priest) traps everyone and there stuff in bubbles. and you as the hero who was also saved my fairy man must go on a quest to restore these bubbles and reset up the towns. So you go into dungeons that have been plagued with evil and fight your way to save the bubbles that have been scattered. (all the fairy man could do was save everyone, not stop the bubbles from getting scattered) than you reset up the town. and you can set it up almost any way you want. including setting up roads, and rivers, and trees.

One of my favorite parts is that it isn't a turn based fighting game. you can run around swing your weapon. upgrade it in unique ways. Block, jump backwards to avoid hits. its a very cool game.

And the second one has similar things that happened. BUT you're an inventor, so you can take pictures to get "ideas" and you can than use the ideas to invent new things. and along the way in both games you can get to characters to play with to solve different puzzles.

and just ... so awesome <3

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM

That game sounds rather open end and flexible and creative!
Especially the part of upgrading your weapons.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 PM

It is! Which is why i love it so absolutely much. It is a playstation 2 game. (i'm a fan of the older games. there is more game play and storyline and awesomeness! )

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM

Xuv: Most of the most famous artists died without selling a single painting. Rich does not equal famous. If you have multiple movies and tv shows made from your books, you're a famous writer in my book.
I suspected that alma matar was a cultural difference, but honestly, it's not big over here either unless it's a prestigious school like Harvard. I doubt my college even has one.

Shadami: I prefer hack and slash games to rpg style. Sounds fun. I like that idea of being an inventor. So the people are in bubbles? Not sure I'm following.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM

Dakukuu... I am kind of confused about our opinion on it.
I don't judge fame by wealth. From the beginning I was saying that fame reaching someone that don't even read their book, is big fame enough. I never started the word of rich or wealth.

And about school. It is not big. But I was talking about the design of emblem... I am sure my peers here aware/recognize how their their logo/emblem looks like but they won't know what it means. Depends on the field and company, sometimes school are taken into considerations.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 02:31 PM

@kat
.. well.. they kind of look like pokeballs to be honest. They're red on the top and yellow/tan on the bottom. and there's an orb on this glove on the heroes hand that when he touches the ball/bubbles they open. But nothing else will open them.

i tried to find an actual level image cause they look different in the tutorial speech than in the actual dungeon.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 PM

Shadami: people...pokeballs...
I wonder if it was intentional? But it seems like a fun game.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 AM

... i may or may not have gone off and turned on my PS2 and played for a couple hours because i made myself want to play by talking about it...

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM

That's like me and my Shaman King game. I really like it even though I never read the series. The story line is good, but it seems so terrible because whoever scripted the game wrote the dumbest things for Yoh to say! In one scene for example, it goes a bit like this:
Len: "All I have is power. I have never had anything else, and now, I've lost a fight. I don't even have power." *sad face*
Yoh: "I don't have time. Got to go!" *runs off*

:/ Is Yoh really supposed to be that much of an asshole??