Pandora's Box
Everyone's Favorite Sociopath

Old 12-20-2013, 02:25 AM

This is just the prologue/first chapter (I'm trying to decide.) Let me know how it is! I'd like to know more on grammer, writing style, and spelling, whether it is good or bad.

Ahem....

It was the middle of summer, on a particularly hot day, that our story begins. There wasn't anything special about this day, other than the heat. It was a scorcher. Everyone's topic of conversation focused on this foul weather. There was only one who didn't complain about the heat.
Her name was Ruby Stone, or at least, that is what she refers to herself as. Whether it is her real name or not, no one is sure. No one in this town knew her. She was just the strange girl who had come to town sometime at night.
Strange indeed. While all the people in town wore short sleeves or overalls to keep cool, she wore a long dark coat. It was a dark red hue, an odd color, and attracted quite a bit of heat. It was zipped up all the way, and went down to her legs. She kept her hood up, so her facial features were impossible to uncover. She sat in the corner of a local tavern, a small building with a forgettable name. She sat alone, not speaking since she had entered. Rumors spread like wildfire, saying she was cursed. Whether they were true or not, a mystery. The aura she gave off, the scowl she kept when someone spoke to her, her crossed arms, the message was clear.
Leave me alone.
Being it was her job, the waitress of the forgettable tavern went over to the girl. "Can I help you, miss?" Ruby looked up at the woman. For the first time since she entered the town, she didn't scowl. Instead, she answered.
"Actually, yes." she responded. Her voice was soft, sounding younger than she appeared. "You can help me, but not in the way you think." The woman looked at her like she was a lunatic.
"I'm looking for someone."

So, what do you think? And if the protagonist seems like a real jerk, don't worry, there is another character who is totally opposite and will be introduced next chapter. Ruby also gets more agreeable later.

Last edited by Pandora's Box; 12-21-2013 at 04:48 PM..

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 12-21-2013, 07:40 AM

Hmm, this looks like it's got a lot of potential! I'm interested :D
One word of advice: don't mention that Ruby is the hero. Let readers find that out on their own, it adds to the suspense. You know," The jerk is the hero?!"

Pandora's Box
Everyone's Favorite Sociopath

Old 12-21-2013, 04:47 PM

Ah, okie dokie. Let me change a few little details.......