Sanctuary
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 AM

I've drawn for years now and I just picked up a book on drawing with soem art I really love. I want to learn to draw better, but the book wants me to start anew and it's hard for to let go of so many years of drawing.

It's asking me to draw overhand and people I see in quick sketches. I have to use a charcoal pencil. Overhand is supposed to help me develope fluidity and increase my potential while drawing.

I wanted to ask other people who have experience drawing this way. Do I have to use it all the time? Is this he only way I'm supposed to draw or is it only for rough sketches?
I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly, what is the right way?

Aero
(・・^...
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Aero

Old 11-20-2007, 04:18 AM

You don't usually go perfectly like in the book, you combine what you used to do, to what you learned to make it better or more fitting for you.

Sometimes people do go directly from the book, but they can always remember some of their old techniques, if they've used it long enough or kept using it throughout learning the ways of the book. xD

Waffle
BAZINGA!
Send a message via MSN to Waffle

Old 11-20-2007, 04:18 AM

well, there is no "right way" to drawing. drawing is expressing whatever you feel like. Sure it helps sketches, because you are using the pencil to its full potential, but, i don't.

Sanctuary
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 AM

I've heard that there isn't a wrong way to draw, but I feel I don't draw very well at all and am hoping to draw like the lady in the book someday. I know that sounds childish, butmI worked so long and thought I was getting good, only to realize how terrible I actually am. I want to do whatever will help me get there.

Aero
(・・^...
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Aero

Old 11-20-2007, 05:04 AM

Well, as desperate as the both of us are to become a good artist, we could never become one by copying off a book. It may have some good techniques in there, but art styles learned on your own. You can't be 'bad' at art. Because if you have your own style, and you keep doing it, it would be like in perfection, both the way you do it and the way you wanted or liked it to turn out, so art becomes fun and entertaining, rather than just for the sight for other's eyes...

Even though the sight for other's eyes are really important, it won't become very good if you draw in some weird way you're not comfortable with.../corny.