Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 10-30-2011, 06:47 PM

Is there anyone out there who can help me learn about computer programming? I'm interested about learning it or at least how to work some programs of it.

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 10-31-2011, 03:45 AM

My dad is one of the lead programmers at Costco headquarters in Issaquah, Washington. He works with SQL, Agile, etc. When I was younger, I was very interested in web design. At age seven, I taught myself HTML. In my early teens, I learned CSS, PHP, basic C, and C+. I've built websites, been a builder and an admin on a MUD (text-based game), even picked up a little white-hat hacking in my teens. I couldn't have chosen a farther major than programming - I'm going to culinary school this spring - but I still enjoy learning new languages and seeing what can be done with them!

There's hundreds of programming languages out there, and they run everything from banking software to PCs to websites and movies. What are you interested in learning? This is a far too generic question for someone to just say, "Sure, I can teach you!" :lol:

Jesmond
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Jesmond Send a message via MSN to Jesmond

Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 AM

I'm taking a basic course in C this semester... and that's about all I got to my name. Couldn't really teach anything at all. >_<

Anaxilea: I am beyond jealous of your early exposure to the programming world.

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilea View Post
My dad is one of the lead programmers at Costco headquarters in Issaquah, Washington. He works with SQL, Agile, etc. When I was younger, I was very interested in web design. At age seven, I taught myself HTML. In my early teens, I learned CSS, PHP, basic C, and C+. I've built websites, been a builder and an admin on a MUD (text-based game), even picked up a little white-hat hacking in my teens. I couldn't have chosen a farther major than programming - I'm going to culinary school this spring - but I still enjoy learning new languages and seeing what can be done with them!

There's hundreds of programming languages out there, and they run everything from banking software to PCs to websites and movies. What are you interested in learning? This is a far too generic question for someone to just say, "Sure, I can teach you!" :lol:
What's the most commonly used one? I'd like to learn that first.

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 PM

Last year I took a course on Computer Graphics and Design, part of it being we had to build our own websites, and do all sorts of programming.
I can help you with HTML and some CSS stuff. If you want a good book thats easy to follow but has a lot of good information for that kinda stuff, it's called
'HTML Dog
The Best-Practice Guide to XHTML and CSS' written by Patrick Griffiths

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 10-31-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codette View Post
Last year I took a course on Computer Graphics and Design, part of it being we had to build our own websites, and do all sorts of programming.
I can help you with HTML and some CSS stuff. If you want a good book thats easy to follow but has a lot of good information for that kinda stuff, it's called
'HTML Dog
The Best-Practice Guide to XHTML and CSS' written by Patrick Griffiths
Help away! How do those two work?

nike13
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 AM

If you major in Computer Science, you're going to be doing a lot more theory than programming. I finished my Masters in CS two years ago and it's not about learning languages so much as logic, (dis)proving algorithms, and analyzing programs/algorithms that others have already created.

If you want to learn a programming language I would suggest Java - it's used for software programming. After you've learned Java you can apply what you know to other object oriented languages like C/C++.

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 AM

Well, the real question I'm asking is, what are you wanting to do?

The easiest for web design is HTML.
I would argue that the easiest for game development is Java.
Not the easiest language, but the ROOT language for computer software is C - almost all other languages sprung from it. It's like the Latin of programming languages.

You can't just say "I want to learn to program." WHAT do you want to program?

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 11-01-2011, 02:45 PM

^ Exactly as Ana said. We can't help without knowing exactly what it is you want to do.

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilea View Post
Well, the real question I'm asking is, what are you wanting to do?

The easiest for web design is HTML.
I would argue that the easiest for game development is Java.
Not the easiest language, but the ROOT language for computer software is C - almost all other languages sprung from it. It's like the Latin of programming languages.

You can't just say "I want to learn to program." WHAT do you want to program?
Web site design. I want to have a website of my own for stories, news, and maybe comics. i also hope to make a little money off the site if all possible.

Lusika
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 AM

If you are learning C++, you might want to check out antiRTFM's channel for his n00b spoonfeed episodes on C++, I'm already on the 10th episode and he explains everything clearly and a little bit slowly for us to understand. If you want to read on them then maybe this web site will help you :

C++ Tutorial - Introduction to C++ - Cprogramming.com

antiRTFM's channel : C++ Tutorial (1) - Absolute n00b spoonfeed - YouTube

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen

Old 11-30-2011, 04:11 PM

Oh, web design is easy peasy.

PHP used to be the big thing, but it's really gone out of fashion lately. Start with the basics: HTML and XML. Move onto CSS from there. There are programs out there that can help you learn. Dreamweaver comes to mind.

If you're not as interested in the actual programming and just want to make a nice-looking site, plenty of domain hosts offer free web design tools. If you're interested in flash, check out Wix.