Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 11-03-2013, 03:43 AM

I don't know if I'm going to win NaNoWriMo this year, but I'm proud of what I have written so far, and I want to share it! If you have any comments, please put them in some color besides black so I can see them more easily. Enjoy!

Autumn sunlight shone through the windows of the grand bedroom, bringing a rich glow to the polished mahogany bed and finding strands of metallic gold in the tousled hair of its occupant. Lord Luciano Gabrielli stretched luxuriously in the warmth of the sunbeam and cracked open one crystal blue eye. From the angle of the sun on the wall the maid would be here soon with the breakfast tray, which meant he should cherish these last few precious moments of relaxation. He closed his eye and snuggled deeper into the pillows with a sigh of contentment.

The instant the sigh passed his lips there was a scream from the hallway. Luciano rolled from bed and muttered, 'Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, Banana Phone!'

Sara jumped, knocking her keyboard onto the floor, and eyed her ringing phone with a mixture of guilt and fear. She knew she should answer it. She knew she was doing the thing again... retreating into her shell, hiding from everyone. I don't even know why I'm doing it... I... I just... Sara reached over and touched the button that silenced the phone, trying to still her panic and quell the guilt. I can call back later. That will be okay, right? I can just... call back later, when I've had time to brace myself.

Sara picked up the keyboard and tried to go back to her writing, struggling to avoid her erratic emotions. It always happened like this. She'd be making friends, conquering fears, and then... total shutdown. Suddenly she'd cringe every time the phone rang, and the thought of checking her email would bring her to tears. The only safety seemed to be in books-- writing them or reading them, it didn't really matter which. She'd spend all her free time lost in worlds where all problems could be solved, and even the most timid person could find the courage to defeat monsters. Sara could barely find the courage to leave the house sometimes.

It would be easier if I knew what caused it. I don't even know if there is a cause. How can I avoid something I don't know about? Maybe Manda's right, and I should see a shrink... but that costs money, and... I just can't do it. Sara closed her eyes tightly, trying to hold back the tears that stung her eyes. Maybe if she found a better job, or one of her books got published, there would be some money for things like that. She took deep breaths and repeated that hope for the future like a mantra, letting it calm her down. I'll get a better job, or get a book published, and then things will be alright.

Finally, she calmed down enough to get back to typing, and soon she was lost in the world of handsome, wealthy, confident Luciano and his haunted house. It was hours later before hunger drew her away from the worlds inside her mind. A quick glance at the refrigerator and cupboards revealed a disheartening lack of food. Groceries had been delayed to avoid leaving the house and possibly meeting someone she knew. Strangers were fine, but familiar faces meant talking, and that was terrifying right now.

There was nothing for it, though. If she didn't go to the store she'd have to go hungry, and she wasn't that shy yet. Briskly, Sara changed from comfortable pajamas into something she was willing to wear in public, and gathered her grocery bags. She was just reaching for the door when there was a sudden pounding accompanied by a familiar voice. "I know you're in there, Sara! Open up!"

Sara squeaked and jumped back from the door, dropping everything she was holding. Heart pounding, she fumbled with the locks and jerked the door open hurriedly to reveal a tall, sturdy woman with wild red hair and a stern expression. She met that sternness with a hesitant smile. Guilt at neglecting her friend mingled with an odd relief that now she wouldn't have to take time to gather her nerve. It was too late for any gathering now that Amanda was here. "I'm sorry... I realized today I was doing it again, but..."

"But you needed me to bully you into doing something about it," inserted Amanda. "You keep doing this, Sara... I really think you need to see someone about it."

"I know I should, Manda... it's just..." Sara took a deep breath and shook her head. "Maybe when I get a better job..."

"Or get a book published, I know." Amanda finished the mantra and wrapped her friend in a comforting hug. "Sara, sweetie, you can't keep putting things off like this. I know a program you can get into... they don't charge much, and you'll be able to get some actual help. I know it's hard, but you can't keep on like this..."

Amanda noticed the pinched, frightened look on Sara's face, and broke off her scolding. She shook her head and sighed. "Nevermind it right now. You look starved, and I bet you don't have a thing in the pantry to eat. Let's go get something to eat, and then I'll come shopping with you. I can fuss at you when you're not weak from hunger."

"I'd like that..." Sara smiled and dashed away the tears that threatened to break through during her friend's loving tirade. "Let me just find my keys."