Akemi
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-20-2007, 02:36 AM

Shadow Wars Trilogy by George Lucas and Chris Claremont - This is supposed to be based on the movie Willow, but even if you've never seen the movie this is a great, great fantasy series. I wish there were more than three books, but obviously both authors are famous and too busy to work together on such a time consuming project as a novel again. I'm just happy that these three novels exist.
It's one of those series you forget you own then find gret delight in finding and rereading them over and over again.

The Charioteer
or really anything by Mary Renault. She writes historical fiction with occasional homosexual themes but don't get put off by this (no sex is graphically written, everything is very subtle or implied considering it was written in 50's-70's) She wrote an excellent trilogy on Alexander, as well as other Greek historical fiction novels. They're very accurate and well researched.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - I'm not a huge fan of any of his other books, but this particular one is fantastic. I would recommend it whether you're a sci-fi fan or not.

Summers at Castle Auburn
, Samaria Series, Thirteen Houses Series by Sharon Shinn. She also wrote some fun young adult books. Summers at Castle Auburn is pure fluff fantasy one-shot. Just enough fantasy to keep it this this side of Fantasy versus Romance but if you just want a quick heart-warming story I highly recommend this.
Samaria series is about winged people who pray and watch over the people of their country. If you're fascinated by angels, this is a very good series, though it gets more into sci-fi as you go on. Like most of her books, the stories usually revolve around one main couple that you van't help falling in love with.
I'm not as far into the Thirteen House series, but it's the most generic fantasy of her series. However her writing is easy to read, and her stories flow nicely. My only complaint is since every book is from a different character's view, you miss the original characters being more involved.

Firekeeper Series by Jane Lindskold If you like the girl raised by talking wolves kind of stories like I do, at least the first three books are very good, with those thereafter tapering off a bit.
She also wrote Brother to Dargons, Companion to Owls which was excellent, about a girl who can't speak except by quoting from books she's been read. It has a fantasy side too, she's really not just crazy though that would have also been a fascinating story.

It was already mentioned, but I also highly recommend Robin McKinley's work. My favorites are Sunshine, Deerskin, and Beauty.

I may think of others later...

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 AM

Hawksong (Fantasy, Romance) - Although I don't recall much from this book, I found that it was beautiful. It really touched me and it was my favorite book for a long time.

The Little Prince (Unsure) - A pleasing novel that spoke from the child's point of view when smothered by an adult's 'reasonableness'

Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow (Unsure) - Awesome. AWESOME. DANG AWESOME. Books. I kept on wanting more until it was over... Then I was wishing I didn't read so dang fast. xD

Maichanz
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Maichanz

Old 06-29-2007, 03:09 PM

I would recommend Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris if you're in to the whole fairytale concept. :) It was described as "Part comedy, part love story, part everything but the kitchen sink" in the subtitles.

Online, I found this description:

"It’s a modern fairy tale with a bunch of clever twists. It’s a comedy in several acts. It’s a
spoof, it’s a farce, an adventure story, a mystery or a love story, call it what you will. Above all it’s fun! It takes place in a long ago far away kind of magical land, but has a jaunty, witty tone."

From what I remembered, the suggested reading level was either 10 or 12 but in my opinion, even if you're 20, you could still enjoy this book. That is..if you enjoy fairytales and all. :wink:

This was someone's review of the book:

"Once Upon A Marigold was a book full of romance and fairytale.I loved it!It was a thrilling book. Jean Ferris did a great job of explaining the detail and feelings of the characters. I could actually imagine the pictures in my head. I got so into it. I couldn't stop reading it for a single minute.When I went to sleep I had a little flashlight and I wouldn't stop reading it! "

And I couldn't agree more! :D

It's cute and enchanting! For me, I can read it over and over again and never get tired of it. I hope I sparked at least one person's interest! :wink:

phoebe101
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-01-2007, 11:40 PM

i highly recommend the trilogy of uglies. if you haven't already read it. but like it's TF (teen fiction) and it have got some romance in it. but it's always about betrayl and the portraits of "pretty" people it's a very good book and i highly recommend it. :)

Zillar

Old 07-09-2007, 02:50 AM

Cell(zombies)
By Stephen King
It starts of really fast(and gory) and just keeps on going at that pace. If you like zombie-esque things, this book is great. Although they are not tecnically zombies because they never died.

Chronicles of Faerie(fantasy)
By O.R. Melling
I don't know how to describe them so here's a plot summary of the first book in the series Hunters Moon:

16 year old Gwen and her female cousin Findabhair have a deep affection for fantasy. So when Gwen travels from her native Canada to Ireland, where Findabhair lives, they plan to travel to Ireland's many "magical" spots, namely Tara. On the bus driving them to their first destination, they are driven off the road, so Gwen and Fin decide to hitchhike to the nearest destination. The girls are picked up by a little kindly old man who reminds them of a Leprechaun. He drops the girls at the place they were saving for last--Tara. Upon arriving, the cousins decide to sleep in a fairy mound. In the middle of the night, Gwen has a dream that someone is taking Findabhair away. She wakes up screaming to find that the dream has come true. She discovers that the Faerie King, Finvarra, was the mysterious figure who took Findabhair, and that he intends to keep her as his bride. Gwen realises that if she does not rescue her cousin from the fairies, she will stay there forever. Along the way, Gwen receives help from a kindly business man, a female farmer, a wise old woman and her charming grandson, and the right-hand-man to the Faerie King himself!

kurama_grl
*^_^*

Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 AM

The Xanth Series: written by Piers Anthony, very funny, full of puns, great stories

Valdemar Series: written by Mercedes Lackey, full of love and magic, awesome story-lines

Star Wars: I have yet to find a Star Wars book that I didn't like. Written by many different authors. (the Pre-Empire books are my personal favorites)

Prinny God
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-13-2007, 02:41 AM

Ender's Shadow *___*. It's such a clever and awesome book!

CLAMP
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-15-2007, 01:56 AM

Um, in the fiction series , my favorite series is The Keys To The Kingdom by Gerth Nix.

It's an awesome book series.

Enniel
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 PM

"The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind. ANY fantasty lover will love these :3 they are heartbreaking but a wonderful read

Alishar

Old 07-21-2007, 12:15 AM

The Outsiders was a really good book. I enjoyed reading it, it was really sad though. I definitely recommend.

altrondragon
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to altrondragon

Old 07-23-2007, 07:50 AM

Grey Eagles...Ww2 German pilots who decide to have the one finall dog fight with the American solider wwho tried killing them when they laned their planes at the end of the war..This all comes sown in 1972..its a greast book I have read it over 2 dozen times plus and have replaced it about a dozen times..like I said a great read

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 07-25-2007, 09:17 PM

I'm not quite sure what genre what all the books I read belong in because I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to determining that, so... Sorry? xD

Pendragon: A series that consists of the Traveler, Boddy Pendragon. As a Traveler, he's able to go through different times and territories (sort've like different worlds) in order to save Halla (the balance and peace of everything and everyone and every place). Saint Dane, the antagonist, is trying to take control of Halla and under various disguises, plunge everything into chaos. As the reader, you mostly see the on-goings by reading the journals Bobby writes and sends to his two friends, Courtney and Mark. (Sorry, I forgot the title of the first book)

The Keys to the Kingdom: This is the complex story of Arthur Penhaligon. Because he was about to die, he was named the sole and rightful heir of the Architect, the person whom has created a whole other world. But the Morrow Days, who hold parts of the Will of the Architect, refuse to give up their power to him. He has to overcome them all and get the pieces of the Will from them to gain his rightful place. Also a series. (Book One: Mister Monday)

RinaJynxLuv

Old 07-27-2007, 06:24 PM

Anything by Terry Pratchett. The best are "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents" and "the Wee Free Men." They both have such interesting and original plots that I can't even begin to explain them, but if you're up for a hilarious and well-thought out fantasy book, you have to check out these books.

KyttieKat
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM

The original Black Beauthy is an amazing book.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:43 AM

[quote="lily_dragon"]Ack! No one has mentioned Sunshine by Robin Mckinley! If you are looking for a good twist on the old vampire theme it is one book you're sure love! The characters have wonderful depth to them and the world is presented in such a way you'll soon believe it must be real. (Not to mention it is my favourite book ever!)
In any case, Robin Mckinley has written several other books that are equally enjoyable: The Blue Sword, [/quote ]

I love the blue sword and the hero and the crown though recommend reading the hero and the crown first.

Kitmew
Pirate

Old 08-12-2007, 05:01 PM

x Great! Now I have a bunch of books for my summer reading in my (very large amount) of spare time! Woot! Man Twilight sounds soooo tempting...Wicked sounds the same as well. ><;; Chronicles of Faeries, pretty much everything I've seen sounds good... ._. I'm going to be having a stack of books next to me tomorrow...

I recommend Ella Enchanted (I've been talking about it all day)
By ??? Levine. (Fantasy)

Eragon (Fantasy)

The Book of Good Begginings (Fantasy)

Rinali Lee
*^_^*

Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 AM

Oooh recommendations! This I can do.

[[By: Jodi Picoult]]
The Pact
Mercy
The Tenth Circle
My Sister's Keeper

[[By: Stephen King]]
Needful Things
It
'Salem's Lot

[[By: Tamora Pierce]]
The Will of the Empress
The Circle Opens series
The Circle of Magic series
The Lioness series
The Immortals series

Eep. There are plenty more, but I've forgotten some of the authors. >.> I will have to save that for another time.

LadyKikyo
I am known on some other sites a...

Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 PM

Ok I can not recommend anything more strongly than Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series (11 books with book 12 due in 2009 due to his being sick and going thru chemo and such) but I also recommend books by Terry Goodkind, RA Salvatore, Melanie Rawn, Anne McCaffrey, Ann Rice, John Saul (if you like horror/suspense) I know there are a lot more but cant think of them right now, I read a LOT so I could go on all day if I sat here and thought about it or looked at my book collection lol ^.^

LadyKikyo
I am known on some other sites a...

Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 PM

sorry forgot a few that I remembered because of another post
The Arcana series by Morgan Llywelyn and Micheal Scott
Aurian series by Maggie Furey
The Farseer series by Robin Hobb
Mystara series by Thorarinn Gunnarsson
Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton
books by Tracey Hickman, Margaret Weis, Terry Brooks
Dragon Prince/Star Scrolls by Melanie Rawn

not fantasy
Patricia Cornwell is a very good author

There are sooo many more I liked but I will stop there this time lol
(when it comes to books I could go on for days ^.^)

flee

Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 PM

Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series is most excellent. A nice blend of modern life and fantasy, believable, too.

Battle Royale is also a good read, but not something for the faint of heart and it's a bit confusing.

Bleeding Rose
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM

anything by Sarah Dessen
Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse- Stephenie Meyer
The Blood Confession- Alisa Libby
The DaVinci Code- Dan Brown
Braced 2 Bite, Fangs 4 Freaks, Dating 4 Demons- Serena Robar
The Chronicles of Narnia- CS Lewis
Keeping You a Secret- Julie Ann Peters
Private (and sequels)- Kate Brian
Gossip Girl- Cecicly von Ziegesar
My Heartbeat- Garet Freymann-weyr
Empress of the World, The Rules for Hearts- Sara Ryan
and many more!! lol

Fuumuu
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-16-2007, 11:26 PM

If your into Vampire books, I'd suggest Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer. <3 The story line is really really developed and when you get started into the book, it seems like that's -all- there is - Like your actually in the book itself.

If your into romance Meg Cabot writes a lot of teen fiction. Her books are interesting. She combines action and romanace, and comedy to create a book that'll have you reading for hours stright. <3 My favorite from her are the "Mediator" series, "1-800-Where-R-You" series, and Avalon High. <3 (Not the manga one. >>;; ) You might know her from her previous "Princess Diaries" books. ^^<3

Sarah Dessen has some pretty good books too. I went on a spree during the summer reading -only- her books and I was entertained for hours. xD;;<3 "Just Listen" and "This Lullaby" and "The Truth about Forever" were really really good books. They were about "growing up", in a way. Female leads, but they were still very good. Each main character went through something in life, that you got to tag along for the ride for.

Kurt Vonnagut(sp?)'s books are pretty cool. I've read "Cat's Cradle(?)" by him, and it was interesting. It's a relatively short book that talks itself in circles. xD:; But it's advernturious and very interesting once you get into it. "Man without a Country" is the one I'm currently reading. :'O It's basically his rant on life. xD;;<3

Manga wise...I'd recommend "Full Moon". It's a cute story about a girl wanting to sing~<3 The graphics are adorable~<3 "Fruits Basket" is pretty cute. xD;; But it can get boring after a while. ^^ "Imadoki" is another love story. It's amazing though. There's only five books to the series, and it's adorable as hell. <3 "Alive 19th" was cute. The art was amazing, and I couldn't wait to finish it. xD;;<3 "Ceres the Crestial Legend" was nice too. ^____^ <3

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 09-19-2007, 04:55 AM

I have to recommend "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. It might be in the adult section at the library or the junior fiction - I've seen it in both at different places. It's basically the story of a young German girl in Nazi Germany and it's narrated by Death (you know, the guy), but he's not your typical Death. He's very compassionate and eloquent.

I've had two people read this upon my recommendation now and both have just loved it. Zusak's writing is beautiful and you'll be bawling by the end! It's a very easy read too. I picked up another book by him, "I am the Messenger." I'm eager to see if that's as good!

Immortaleyes
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Immortaleyes

Old 09-28-2007, 09:15 PM

I am seriously in love with Paul F. Wilson's Repairman Jack series. I'm trying to patiently await the newest one. It's kind of hard.

Robert Holdstock's books are also pretty awesome. They're loosely based off of the folklore and mythical stories of Jason of the Argonauts, Merlin and of course Medea.
Celtika & The Iron Grail
are the two I believe are part of that series.
Rosemary Sutcliff is also a great writer.

teddycrazy

Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 AM

Books by Stephenie Meyer are amazing.
Should definitely read those. Hmm...
Also if you like girl/guy books, you should read books by Meg Cabot.
She wrote the Princess Diaries and many others.
Also, you should read the series of the travelling pants by Ann Brashares.
There's four books in all.
There's also a book called "The Boy in the Basement". It might sound scary, but it's not. It's about a boy who was abused and was locked up in a basement for most of his life until he was thirteen years old. I would give that book a five stars.
That's all for now. ^^