Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-01-2015, 10:59 PM

Chexie's 2015 Memory Jar
//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\

Hi Dudelings, welcome to my memory jar. Things are pretty much all set up now.
I just have a few more links to fill in. I'm planning to make a pretty banner picture for this post also.

This thread is posting-friendly, so feel free to comment and chat.
Here's to an excellent year for all of us!

Last edited by Chexala; 01-03-2015 at 05:37 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-01-2015, 11:00 PM

Goals and Stuff!
New Year's Resolutions
  • School is top priority. Get it done by any means necessary.
  • Practice the 4 Agreements.
  • Learn to drive.
  • Sing every day.
  • Practice your magic.

Last edited by Chexala; 01-19-2015 at 09:33 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-01-2015, 11:04 PM

The Year's Highlights

I never filled this in!

Last edited by Chexala; 01-01-2016 at 01:11 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-01-2015, 11:07 PM

The Chex Mix: A Playlist
Last year I made a playlist of new music I discovered through the year and I thought it would be fun to do that here in my memory jar this year! As the year progresses, I'll add links to new songs that I find.

The Mix
  1. Pull Me Down, by Mikky Ekko
  2. Shake It Off, by Taylor Swift
  3. Dark Paradise, by Lana Del Rey
  4. Sad Thing, by Adultchild
  5. Hero, by Family of the Year
  6. Burning Up, by Lee Min Ho
  7. Mr.Simple, by Super Junior
  8. I'd Love To Change The World, by Jetta
  9. Trouble Maker, by Trouble Maker
  10. I Really Like A Hole, mashup of Carly Ray Jepsen and Nine Inch Nails. This is, by far, my favorite song this year.
  11. Sin, by Nine Inch Nails
  12. Oh Sheit, It's X, by Thundercat
  13. Flying Overseas, by Theophilus London
  14. Here Come The Trees, by Molly Ledford and Billy Kelly
  15. Do You Feel It?, by Chaos Chaos
  16. Get Schwifty (Andromulus Remix), from Rick & Morty
  17. Shin Takarajima, by Sakanaction

Last edited by Chexala; 01-01-2016 at 01:03 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 PM

Links and Archives
This is where I am going to store links to all my various doings around Menewsha, which are also usually found in my signature. I would like to slim down my signature this year though, so I'll be moving lots of things here. (Or maybe to a blog post. Or both.)

Where in Menewsha is Chexala?
  1. 2015 Reading Challenge
  2. 2015 Crafts Challenge
  3. Midnight Market - exchange thread, on hiatus
  4. Marketplace Shop
  5. Quest thread
  6. Runway Closet
  7. Avatar art collection :3
  8. Practice Room - art post thread
  9. Pixel workroom coming someday!
  10. Writing/drabbles thread coming someday too!

Links to Other People and Things!
  1. [Gaming] Visual Novel/Dating Sim Creators and Hopefuls
  2. World of Asarth RPG: Main Thread | OOC

ArchivesX

*cuts ribbon*

Posting is now open!

Last edited by Chexala; 01-25-2015 at 09:16 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-02-2015, 12:24 AM

☆ January 1
Happy New Year Menewsha!

I had a fun New Year's Eve party with my family last night. Then after everyone else went to bed, I walked into town in the middle of the night to go stare at the ocean for a while. The moon was bright and it was freezing cold and so so beautiful.

Today I am getting all my 2015 threads set up. In addition to this memory jar, I'm also going to the do the 50 Book reading challenge again and the 25 Crafts challenge. I might also try to do a drawing challenge and a drabbles challenge. Would anyone be interested in joining me for that? I've got to think about my New Year's resolutions too. It seems silly, but I always feel like the new year has real power to it, like it really is a time of change and new beginnings. It feel more potent then my birthday for sure. I try to take advantage of this momentum as best I can.

I went out to the hot tubs and sauna with my sister this evening and soaked up lots of warmth. We went out to the bar afterwards for beer and dinner and to write our resolutions. We were in the habit of going to the tubs and the bar every week last summer, which is one of the best things I did last year. Worked wonder for my stress level (and my acne), so I want to be sure to go keep going regularly this year too.

Anyway, here's to a great year to come! I'm looking forward to sharing it with all of you.

Last edited by Chexala; 01-01-2016 at 12:42 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-03-2015, 01:02 AM

☆ January 2
Today has been an excellent day. I actually got up on time after a reasonable amount of sleep, so I wasn't exhausted and harried this morning. Went to work, had a good time talking with my friend-boss, and had a yummy lunch afterwards. :)

I know we're only two days into the year, but I'm still feeling pumped about my resolutions, and I'm making good headway so far. I have a ton of stuff to do, but I feel like I can tackle it, so long as I work one step at a time. Tonight I'm going to make a planner for myself for keeping track of my finances and such.

Updating to add that I drew the 1st of my 100 pictures for the year, and posted it in my shiny new art post thread. :3
Chexala's Practice Room

Last edited by Chexala; 01-03-2015 at 06:26 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-04-2015, 12:21 AM

☆ January 3
I've come down with a cold! Not the best way to star the year, but at least I get to relax and catch up on my shows. I've got myself bundled up in my pikachu pajamas with a pot of tea nearby.

I recently got out my Angel Cards and put them in a tea cup. I like to draw a few cards as a kind of minor meditation, to give myself some positive ideas to focus on. These are my cards for today:

Also, just wanted to store this little exchange from the Festival which filled me with delight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post
*Wanders over with a big grin on his face* Just enough time for one last cup of cocoa for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
Hi Nami! How are you?

*sips her mulled wine*
Quote:
Hi Chexala, I'm wonderful tonight. What about you?
Quote:
I'm also doing quite well. :) I'm all pumped up on my New Year's resolutions.
Quote:
Oh? What is your resolution this year, Chexala?
Quote:
@Nami: Well, I have a whole bunch of them, actually. Generally speaking, I want to be healthier and work on my art more, which are pretty typical. ^^ I also want to learn how to drive!
Quote:
My resolution is to get better at music... it is kinda like yours, Chexala! Maybe we can practice together sometime?
Quote:
Nami, I would love that.
Quote:
Wonderful! I can't wait, Chexala!
Quote:
I should go find my flute.

Last edited by Chexala; 01-01-2016 at 12:43 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-05-2015, 06:22 AM

☆ January 4
Still bummed out by my cold, but hopefully I'll be better tomorrow if I get some good rest tonight.

I just finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist and I am freaking out with feels! Beautiful show with lots of great characters, and the story was an intense ride. I definitely cried through the last several episodes. T^T So glad I finally watched this. Now excuse me while I tuck into bed with Vol 1 of the manga. :3

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-08-2015, 12:22 AM

☆ January 7
So close to being over this cold! Mostly just tired and congested at this point. I have to do some heavy-lifting outdoor work on Friday though, so I'm taking it easy until then.

Started playing a choose-your-own-adventure game called Sorcery! which I'm quite excited about. In addition to reading the story and making choices, it also has battles, magic, an inventory, illustrations during (some) encounters, and an interactive map. I've been toying with the idea of making my own interactive-fiction game, and Sorcery is a perfect example of the kind of thing I would want to make.

I'm also started playing Civilization: Beyond Earth. I used to play Alpha Centauri and its expansion back when I was in high school and always wished they would bring it forward or remake it, which is essentially what Beyond Earth is. (That is, it's a sci-fi civilization management game with aliens, lol.)

No particular progress to report with my resolutions; since I've been sick I'm giving myself a bit of a pass. Also, with the daily habits, I don't want to be a draconian jerk to myself about them; if I do them, great! If not, that's okay, try again tomorrow. I'm generally pretty rubbish at daily habits, so it's not helpful to be mean to myself about it.

My angel cards for today: vision, adventure, purpose.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-09-2015, 06:15 AM

☆ January 8
I am Rapunzel and I need to get out of my Tower.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-10-2015, 06:38 AM

☆ January 9
Today is Severus Snape's birthday! Happy birthday to you, Oh Best Beloved! :3

(Drew this a few years ago. Just a sketch obviously, look at that "hair"! But I think it generally captures how he looks to me. And how he often looks at me. )

Had a nice day today. Went to work for a few hours and then spent the afternoon in town. Spent some time journaling about my angst, took a walk along the cliff and took pictures of the ocean, and spent a few hours in the bookstore. ^^ I picked out a Japanese cookbook, Wuthering Heights (which has been on my to-read list for ages), The Gunslinger (which will be my first Stephen King), and book 4 of the Percy Jackson series. How's that for eclectic?

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 AM

☆ January 12
Retroactive post for yesterday. I built a Duplo town with my nephew yesterday.

☆ January 13
Spent the day working at the museum archive, as I do on Tuesdays. It's my favorite day of my schedule. Spent all day cropping pictures, researching family records, and cataloging. ^^

And here is the sunset over the power-substation on my walk home. My camera couldn't capture the pink hue over everything, sadly.

Last edited by Chexala; 01-01-2016 at 12:45 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-15-2015, 07:24 AM

☆ January 14
I got over a cold last week only to come down with a flu today. T^T I was running a fever and feeling pretty sorry for myself earlier, but fortunately this seems to be passing quickly, as my fever is now gone. I'm hopeful that with a good night's rest, I'll be more or less well again tomorrow.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 AM

☆ January 19
Due to the congestion of my flu, I got an ear infection! Good lord, why?! Will these illnesses never end?!

My medical friend tells me that it is quite uncommon for adults to get ear infections, because usually the length and angle of the Eustachian tube prevents fluids from collecting in the middle ear. Mine must be either shorter or more horizontal than usual, because I am quite prone to ear infections and have to be careful to always blow my nose and not snuffle when I'm sick. Doesn't always help though!

I'm hoping I'll be all better tomorrow so that I can go to my volunteer job, but I might have to stay home again.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-25-2015, 06:08 AM

☆ January 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyButton View Post
Howdy, gang - I'm here with your Friday pick!

It's Chexala: !

After scrambling around like a maniac all week, I'd dearly love for this mage to whisk me away to the land of dreams, or to the depths of space.. wherever she is, it looks delightful to me right now! ;D

Very lovely avatar, Chexala - congrats! :)
Eeee! I won Admin's Pick! This is my third win, and I love my shiny new yellow star! Thank you BellyButton!

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-26-2015, 01:00 AM

☆ January 25
Today I went out whale watching with my sister and nephew! I have been out on a boat in some years, and haven't been whale watching since I was a little kid, so it was very fun. We saw a few whales out there, but they were feeling shy. I did manage to snap a few pictures of backs, tails, and spouts though.

(Collage of whales.)

(Me in a silly hat borrowed from my mom.)

Before we went out on the boat, we stopped to get some food in the harbor and met a cool old guy who was definitely a wizard. He had a scraggly grey beard and all his clothes were different shades of grey, and he told us all about the ancient languages he studied, which are only passed down orally in secret traditions. He seemed like an interesting guy with lots of cool stories to tell, so I'd like to go back and visit him again some time. ^^

Also drew some new angel cards today:

All in all, a really fun day!

Last edited by Chexala; 01-01-2016 at 12:47 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 PM

☆ January 27
Another retroactive post, for yesterday. ^^; A good day overall. Got up on time, got ready without hurrying, went to the archive and put in a good day's work. Went to the bookstore, did some errands, walked home, cooked dinner, and read all evening instead of wasting the night doing lots of nothing online.

I picked up a book my mom recommended, started reading it, and liked it so much that I read the whole thing cover to cover. I'm quite excited about everything I read and eager to get started tidying all my stuff. ^^

the life changing magic of tidying up by Marie Kondo

This all fits perfectly with with the angel cards I drew yesterday:

Now I'm going to go tidy things! Hopefully I'll remember to post again later for how my day went today. :D

Last edited by Chexala; 01-01-2016 at 12:48 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 02-02-2015, 05:32 AM

☆ February 1
Today marks the beginning of my journey into the KonMari Method of tidying! Hooray! Mari has you start by contemplating your tidiness goals (i.e. the reason why you want to tidy your life) so I spent some time doing that (while I cleaned the shower). Then I took out some of the obvious piles of trash from my room and vacuumed everything in sight, so that I will have somewhere clean to sort through all my stuff. (My cat sheds so much hair, omg!) I also took some "before" photos of my chaos so that I can compare them to the results when I'm done. ^^ I'm working tomorrow and the day after, but I'm hoping to do some tidying in the evenings when I get home.

This has been Chexala's Tidy Journey Report, thanks for tuning in!

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 02-03-2015, 03:19 AM

☆ February 2
Today I went to my local independent bookstore and helped them with their once-a-year inventory day! The staff and a handful of volunteers worked in pairs to take every single book down off the shelves, scan their barcodes, and put them back on the shelves so that they would have an exact record of their current inventory. I did all the taking down and re-shelving for my team, so I spent the day walking back and forth and lifting lots of books, so I'm pretty tired now, but I had a really fun time. (I wish I'd thought to wear a pedometer, 'cause I'd bet I walked a couple miles in there.) My staff partner used to be my school librarian when I was in middle school, so I've known her a long time and we had fun chatting. (Another member of the staff used to be my middle school math teacher; such is small-town life. ) I got a free lunch and a pile of store-credit as my payment. After handling over 2500 books today, suffice to say I found a few I want to buy.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 02-07-2015, 04:07 AM

☆ February 6
A big windy rain storm blew into town yesterday! It's raining quite hard at the moment and there have been strong winds knocking down trees and branches all over the place. The power at my house has gone out twice today for short periods, but it could go down again at any moment, so we've got all our candles, flashlights, and oil lamps at the ready.

There are definitely inconveniences when the power goes out, especially if it stays down for a few days, but it can also be quite cozy and charming to spend the evening reading by candlelight and doing other low-tech things. When the power was out this evening, I got out all my lanterns and candle holders, and things were looking so romantic and cozy that I was actually bummed when the power came back on. Once I'm done checking up on my internet things, I'm going to turn off my computer and the lights and spend the rest of the night with my candles.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 AM

☆ February 14

Happy Valentine's Day Menewsha! I love you!

Last edited by Chexala; 01-01-2016 at 12:49 AM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 02-16-2015, 08:01 AM

☆ February 15
Tidying Update!
After considerable distraction and delay, I finally got around to tidying my closet. I cleared out another few bags of clothes that I don't love, emptied my "our of season" and "fancy garb" boxes, set aside some items that need repair/stain treatment before they can go back in the closet, and neatly folded everything else away. I folded everything KonMari style and stored them vertically, like paper files, and now my drawers are these lovely rainbows of clothes that I love! (I can post pictures if anyone is interested, though I doubt anyone is ).

The next sector of my room to tackle is my bookshelf. I went through my books a few months ago when I got a new bookshelf, but that was before I committed to this tidying method, so I'm going to go through them all again. (And honestly, I could use the shelf space, since I'm already stacking new books on top of the rows.)

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 03-18-2015, 07:03 AM

☆ March 18
There has been so much (and so little) going on, I keep forgetting to update my jar. But, some of the highlights:

I got invited to be a trial mod for Mene! Still learning the ropes and haven't graduated to full mod yet, but I am hopeful!

I went out to the local theater with my mom and some of her friends. We saw the play Gaslight, and it was very well acted and produced, and we enjoyed it.

I've been watching lot (and lots) of South Korean dramas in the past year, which has been fun. I've gotten so into it that I decided to start learning Korean! I'm still working on memorizing the alphabet and mastering my pronunciation, but I'll be moving on to vocabulary soon.

I've also decided to start exercising more regularly and seriously. I went to the school down the street and did some running and body-weight exercises on the playground equipment the other day. It was really fun! I'm thinking I'll make that a weekly trip. :) Also dancing is going to be a major part of my exercise life.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 04-11-2015, 03:50 AM

☆ April 10
At long last, I finally ditched my dumb-smartphone—which has been giving me trouble since Day 5—and got myself a real and proper smartphone! I've been having so much fun playing with it this week. This upgrade also doubles as a camera upgrade; I've been playing with the panorama feature:

Gorgeous clouds and the ocean was a deep blue.

Full view of my town, from out on the headlands. The Quaintness Level of my town is "Fierce"

Last edited by Chexala; 01-01-2016 at 12:50 AM..