Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 AM

I'm on an important mission from Jelly to make with the chatty face here.

I didn't see a thread for musicals in the music forum and we just can't have that. I've always loved musicals. I was raised with Disney cartoon movies and they were all musical. Some thing about those catchy show tunes get into your heart. There are some many wonderful different shows with great costumes. Some people might think they're Cheezy but it's kinda part of the charm.

Personally I have a hard time picking a favorite. But if you have one which is it?

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 06-09-2012, 05:30 AM

Two words:
Les Miserables

I can't wait to see if they butchered it in the theatrical version come December. I have high hopes.

Aside from that, I love musicals. There are too many good ones to list but; Spamalot, Chicago, Into the Woods, Brigadoon, The Phantom of the Opera, *coughCatscoughhackcough*, and just a million more.

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 06-09-2012, 05:49 AM

My favorite musical is Spring Awakening. :drool: I love the music in it, and its a really compelling if kinda dark and sad story.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 AM

Just the trailer for Les Mis for funsies.

I don't think I've heard of Spring Awakening... :)

WolfRain Dc-ed
KNS.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:04 AM

I've always wanted to go see Les Miserables, Cats, and The Phantom of the Opera musicals. Sadly to say I've missed the chance to do so a few years ago. I wish they'd come back! Lion King too! D;

The first and only musical I've been to (I think it was this year) was the one called 'Wicked!'. I had a feeling that the performers at that point were already pretty tired, thus messing up one or two parts of the songs they sang. Overall, though, the whole thing was still very much enjoyable. I loved it when the other side-characters would chorus 'Wicked!' as one <3

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 AM

I'm ridiculously excited for Les Mis. I'm just hoping that Amanda Seyfried doesn't butcher it. Mostly because I can't stand her as an actress, but that's not the point. And Anne Hathaway has such a pretty voice. I'm surprised she hasn't done more musical stuff.

Last edited by Seiki Nova; 06-09-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-09-2012, 06:48 AM

As a former theatre nerd, I fail miserably when it comes to the amount of musicals and plays I've actually seen. I mostly know the musicals we did, Phantom of the Opera and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. :ninja:

But my favorite musical is A Fiddler on the Roof, and I don't think that will change, regardless of how many more musicals I see. Our production was... not very good (we were all very young), but it's a beautiful play, truly. I love the movie version of it.

For campy musicals, my favorite is Oklahoma! It was definitely my favorite play to be in, and I really, really loved my character (Jud), so it holds a very special place in my heart. I will never ever hear the name "Kansas City" without bursting out into song (at least in my head). :lol:

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 06-09-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 06-09-2012, 06:52 AM

Wicked! YES! I haven't had a chance to see that yet live. Sadness. I live so close to NYC I try and see at least one broadway show a year... but they are expensive.

I love Anne Hathaway. I'm glad she was cast. I think I am most intrigued to hear Russell Crowe sing as Javert.... I dunno if he has the power behind his voice, since every time I've heard him, he has sung very softly. But Hugh Jackman?! Yes. I have a recording of him as Curly in Oklahoma. That man got his start in musical theater. <3 <3

Oh Cherry, you should see my Tevye dance to 'If I was a Rich man,' haha. I do some epic shaking when I sing that song. <3 Great musical.

And I love Oklahoma. Sometimes camp is great! I am also all about Cats (the campiest of them all!!!) since it was the very first musical I saw with my father as a little girl.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-09-2012, 07:07 AM

Tevye dancing is so fun! :lol: It's a little awkward as a woman since then you end up shaking your chest at people, but ah well. :lol:

I played the constable when I was in it (it was a running gag that I was always given a male part - the only time I played a female was during a summer workshop. I played Helena in Midsummer Night's Dream). But it's one play that I'd really like to do again. I think this time I'd like to be Yente. :D But any of the primary roles would be fun. Female primary, that is... Female... :lol:

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahh` View Post
My favorite musical is Spring Awakening. :drool: I love the music in it, and its a really compelling if kinda dark and sad story.
Interesting I've never heard of that one I'll have to look into it. I like Dark story lines in general and in musicals too. I enjoyed Repo: the Genetic Opera and Sweeny Todd.

I can't count the times I've listened to "The phantom of the Opera" when I was younger (12-13). I loved that the girl he was going after was named Christine like me. XD hehe.

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Les Mis is actually going to be touring and showing at my school for a week in September. I'm so excited to go and see it!

I was really upset I wasn't able to go and see Wicked in February when they were here. I've wanted to see that one for years, but I couldn't fit it into my schedule as all the showings were when I had classes and the weekend shows were too expensive for me at the time.

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 06-09-2012, 11:15 AM

I'm not the biggest musical fan in the world, but there are a few I enjoy. The ones I like, I can't pick favourites from. Also there's some of them I don't know if you'd class as musicals. :lol:

Apart from the Disney films with a number of songs in them (which my favourite is definitely 'The Lion King') I adore:

Grease
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Mamma Mia
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (the original with Gene Wilder)

Also after skimming through the thread, no-one else mentioned RHPS? We're no longer friends! :talk2hand:

MacSen191
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-09-2012, 12:33 PM

I love Fiddler on The Roof... one of my fav all time movies ever. I also love The Sound Of Music and Hairspray. :) I know what you mean about RHPS... it's really good too. "Let's do the time warp again!"

kimonoki
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephila View Post
I'm on an important mission from Jelly to make with the chatty face here.

I didn't see a thread for musicals in the music forum and we just can't have that. I've always loved musicals. I was raised with Disney cartoon movies and they were all musical. Some thing about those catchy show tunes get into your heart. There are some many wonderful different shows with great costumes. Some people might think they're Cheezy but it's kinda part of the charm.

Personally I have a hard time picking a favorite. But if you have one which is it?

I also grew up with Musicals; Disney, Rogers&Hammerstein...need I say more lol? Operas are nice too I have to say my favorite is Aida, but I do love the broadway Wicked and the original Phantom of the Opera!

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Oh, I forgot all about Hairspray! I love that one too. :') I saw it live back in 2010. Even people that didn't like the film loved the stage performance. I really enjoyed it. Michael Ball played Mrs Turnblad, so it was wonderful to see him live since he's so well known! :')

I also really like Billy Elliot, but I don't know whether or not you'd class that as a musical since the cast don't sing. :/

kimonoki
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 PM

What about the Lion King? it's close to number one on Broadway right now

WolfRain Dc-ed
KNS.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 PM

I think the Lion King musical came to Singapore a few months ago, near the beginning of the year I think. I feel so stupid for missing it! And Rocky Horror Picture Show too! Argh!! I'm kinda jealous of those people who got to see them live D:

And someone mentioned the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder in it. I liked that a lot better than the one with Depp (sorry Johnny!). I'm sad I lost the CD of it, I want to watch it again :l

"I've got a goooolden ticket, I've got a goooolden twinkle in my eyes~"

kimonoki
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Wicked just came to my town....I got a discounted ticket only paid $40! It was amazing!!!!

WolfRain Dc-ed
KNS.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Remember the part where Elphaba rose high from the stage and reached a crescendo in her singing? God I couldn't even... aefsakfdaksha! It was so awesome *_*

When did you go see it, kimonoki?

kimonoki
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-09-2012, 01:39 PM

a couple months ago....march? I think

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 06-09-2012, 01:43 PM

@Wolf: It was me that was talking about the version with Gene Wilder. :yes: I prefer it to the new version too. As much as I like Johnny Depp and feel he can portray that type of characters incredibly well, I just don't feel that he did Willy Wonka justice. Though I will admit that Wilder set the bar pretty high with his portrayal. Also, Johnny Depp's version reminded me a lot of Michael Jackson. :ninja:

I missed RHPS when it was touring near me too. I was going to dress up as Frank N Furter. :c I really don't understand how people could go and see that live and -not- dress up! :gonk:

@Kimonoki: I don't think that The Lion King is anywhere near me, sadly. It's one of my favourite films so I'd love to see it on stage. :c I even have a Hakuna Matata tattoo haha.

kimonoki
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-09-2012, 01:45 PM

"Stright no chaser" has a great version of Hakuna Matata, I also love their christmas CanCan!

---------- Post added 06-09-2012 at 09:46 AM ----------

There is a theater that I think on the first friday of the month they play RHPS at midnight....I love to go and just dress up!

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 06-09-2012, 01:46 PM

I'm not familiar with Straight No Chaser. The only thing I know with that name is the Mr Hudson song. :lol:

kimonoki
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-09-2012, 01:48 PM

then please look them up real quick I promise you will be an instant follower.......~kowtow to Strait no Chaser~

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 06-09-2012, 01:50 PM

Is that them?