Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-01-2010, 01:26 AM

~You are invited to a murder.~

Greetings and welcome to Arlington.
A stranger lies dead within Arlington Grange.
There are ten suspects, ten rooms and ten weapons.

It's your job to deduce the who, where and with what.

Could the killer be...

~Mrs. Elizabeth Peacock~
Lady of the manor and beautiful society hostess.

~Colonel Mike Mustard~
Military hero and intimate family friend.

~Reverend Jonathan Green~
Arlington's own man of God.

~Professor Peter Plum~
Local eccentric and close family friend.

~Miss Vivian Scarlett~
Mrs. Peacock's glamorous stepdaughter.

~Mrs. Blanche White~
Loyal housekeeper and devoted confidant.

~Miss Melba Peach~
Arlington Grange's pretty young maid.

~Mr. David Black~
Mrs. Peacock's trusty chauffeur.

~Madame Rhoda Rose~
Arlington resident and dear family friend.

~Sergeant Gerald Gray~
Arlington's local long arm of the law.

Could the murder have taken place in the...

Could the murder have been committed with the...

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 08-01-2010 at 02:13 AM..

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-01-2010, 01:39 AM

Hello rookie detectives, my name is Inspector Brown, the lead investigator on this case. A murder has occurred today at Arlington Grange and it is your duty to catch the culprit.

Our rookie detectives are:
1. Detective Hammy
2. Detective Demo
3. Detective Facade
4. Detective Cherry
5. Detective Daria

You will be given an account of today's events at the manor. Read it carefully, as it may contain clues to the who, where and with what.

When the investigation officially begins, we'll start the interrogations.

In the first round of interrogations, you will each ask two suspects a question pertinent to the case and evidence. The order of who will ask first, second, third and so on, will be randomly selected.

The first detective asks their suspect a question. The turn then moves to the second detective. Once all five of you have asked, we'll start again with the first detective.

Once a detective has interrogated a suspect, that suspect cannot be interrogated again.

So good luck and good sleuthing.

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 08-02-2010 at 02:01 AM..

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 AM

SCENE 1 – Hall
[The front door of Arlington Manor opens and COLONEL MUSTARD rushes in.]

Col. Mustard: (winded) I’m here! Sorry I’m late! Business dealings and then I had car trouble coming back into town, plus I’ve lost my blasted phone!

[He stops to see everyone collected in the HALL staring at him. Gathered there are REVEREND GREEN, PROFESSOR PLUM, MADAME ROSE, MRS. WHITE and MISS PEACH.]

Rev. Green: Not to worry, Colonel, you’re not the only one. Mrs. Peacock’s mystery guest was late himself. Didn’t arrive until half an hour ago. They’ve been together in the study since then.
Col. Mustard: (eyes widen)
Madame Rose: (jolly) Perhaps Elizabeth has found herself a suitor.
Col. Mustard: (Stiffens and clears throat.) Well now... Let’s not jump to conclusions, Madame Rose.
Prof. Plum: I’d just like to know why she wanted all of us here.
Miss Peach: (eager) Oh me too! Mrs. Peacock seemed so gosh excited this morning. I just can’t stand it!
Mrs. White: (addressing her junior) All good things come to those who wait.
Prof. Plum: Well I’m afraid that I shan’t be waiting much longer. Some of us had other activities planned for today.
Rev. Green: Such as?
Prof. Plum: I don’t know. I’m not one of them.

[The STUDY door opens. MRS. PEACOCK emerges, followed by a stranger. He is middle aged with slicked back black hair, greying at the sides, and tanned within an inch of his life. He wears a flashy green sports coat and dark sunglasses.]

Mrs. Peacock: (smiling) I apologize for keeping you all waiting so long. Allow me to introduce our guest. This is Mr. James Fullerton.
Mr. Fullerton: (removing his sunglasses with a wry smile) Please. Call me Jimmy.
Mrs. Peacock: (correcting herself) Jimmy Fullerton. He brings with him a very exciting prospect for Arlington Grange, and indeed for the whole of Arlington itself.
Madame Rose: Oh my.
Mrs. Peacock: Mr. Fullerton is a movie producer. From Hollywood!
Madame Rose: Oh my!
Rev. Green: (suspiciously) A movie producer?!
Mr. Fullerton: (smug) Best in the business, padre.
Mrs. Peacock: (unable to contain herself) He is interested in filming a movie here, at the grange!
Miss Peach: (squeals)
Mrs. White: My goodness.
Rev. Green: (surprised) A movie?!
Mr. Fullerton: There an echo in here? I think you need t’ get your needle checked, padre.
Rev. Green: (scowls)
Col. Mustard: (steps forward) Elizabeth, are you sure this is on the up and up?
Mr. Fullerton: No need to sweat it, Mr. uh…
Col. Mustard: (pretentiously) Colonel. Colonel Mustard.
Mr. Fullerton: (amused) Heh. Really? Well, no need to sweat it… Colonel. I’m one hundred percent legit. Got my papers and everything.
Mrs. Peacock: It’s alright, Mike. Mr. Fullerton… uh, Jimmy (with a knowing nod to him) and I have been talking this through for a week now. My lawyer has gone through the contracts and everything is as it should be.
Col. Mustard: I only have your best interests in mind.
Mrs. Peacock: (smiles) I know you do. Now, if you’d all like to follow me into the lounge for a drink, I can fill you in on all the details.
Mr. Fullerton: (jauntily) I never say no to a drink.

[They all follow MRS. PEACOCK into the LOUNGE.]

Miss Peach: Goody!
Mrs. White: Not you, Miss Peach. You have your upstairs duties to attend to.
Miss Peach: (pouts) Yes, Mrs. White.

SCENE 2 – Lounge
[After further introductions, MRS. WHITE circles the room, offering all those gathered a glass of sherry from a silver tray.]

Prof. Plum: I must say that I am highly intrigued by the prospect of this film. Sounds like just the thing to awaken our sleepy little Arlington.
Madame Rose: What kind of film will it be?
Mr. Fullerton: (Taking the FIRE POKER from the hearth and brandishing it like a swashbuckler’s sword.) Y’know, action, adventure…with just a bit of romance thrown into the mix.
Col. Mustard: (haughtily) An action-adventure? In a small New England town?
Mr. Fullerton: (replacing the FIRE POKER) Gotta open your mind, Mustard. Use your imagination. We’re Hollywood. We make dreams come true.
Rev. Green: (scoffs) Dreams. Car chases, shootouts and young starlets running about half naked, more like.
Prof. Plum: I don’t know about you, Reverend, but that would certainly make my dreams come true. (turning to MR. FULLERTON) Will there be… any young starlets in the film?
Mr. Fullerton: Well… Now I didn’t wanna drop names this early in the game, but I do know that Angelina Jolie is very interested in this project.
Mrs. Peacock: (pleasantly surprised) My goodness, is that right?
Mr. Fullerton: It’s as sure as a done deal.
Madame Rose: Oh, is she anything like that nice Brigitte Bardot?
Mr. Fullerton: (raises eyebrow) Sure, just like ‘er. Only a hundred years younger.
Col. Mustard: So how long do these filmings usually take?
Mr. Fullerton: With shooting, pre-production, post-production work... I’d say anywhere from nine to twelve weeks.
Rev. Green: (eyes wide) Nine to twelve weeks?!
Mr. Fullerton: I swear, Padre, you must be part parrot.
Rev. Green: (vehement) Am I to understand that we will have to endure having our town overrun by Hollywood yahoos for three months?!
Mr. Fullerton: (with a taunting smile) Seems like it.
Rev. Green: Well I for one will not stand for it!
Mrs. Peacock: (placating) Now certainly, Jonathan, you can see the benefit of all this. Think of the extra revenue this will bring to Arlington. Not to mention the extra revenue to Arlington Grange. Mr. Fullerton… (once again correcting herself) Jimmy’s production company has generously offered me five hundred thousand dollars for use of the house and grounds.

[Looks of noticeable surprise cross the faces of all gathered.]

Madame Rose: (laughing) Well isn’t that a lovely bit of change!
Mr. Fullerton: Y’know, that brings us neatly to something I’ve been turning over in my brain all morning. I like you, Mrs. Peacock. You seem like a real stand up lady.
Mrs. Peacock: Why thank you, Jimmy.
Mr. Fullerton: So I gotta proposition for ya. How about instead of us simply renting the property, you come aboard as an investor? The studio thinks we have enough as is, but I say these big budget films could always use more money. Now if you’re willing to invest, I know I can get the studio to okay it.
Mrs. Peacock: Exactly how much would I have to invest?
Mr. Fullerton: Bare minimum, one million. (seeing the expression on MRS. PEACOCK’s face) But I guarantee you a return of three times that amount.
Mrs. Peacock: Three million dollars? I… I don’t know. It is a very tempting offer, but I really don’t know if I could raise that much money.
Mr. Fullerton: You don’t need to. We’ll keep the fee for use of the property and you come up with the other five hundred thousand.
Mrs. Peacock: And you believe that it is a sure thing?
Mr. Fullerton: Money in the bank.
Col. Mustard: Now I don’t know about this, Elizabeth. (with a wary eye on MR. FULLERTON) The whole thing seems awfully dodgy.
Mr. Fullerton: Still suspicious of me, Colonel? Well, I can accept that. I admire a man who looks out for his friends. (to MRS. PEACOCK) Now of course you don’t gotta make any commitments right now. I’ll have the studio send out the paperwork and you can have your lawyer look them over. (back to COL. MUSTARD) And if you still think I’m dodgy, Colonel, (taking out his wallet and removing a business card) check me out. You’ll see I’m on the up and up.
Col. Mustard: (receives card with a reserved silence)
Prof. Plum: If I may inquire, what will the film be about?
Madame Rose: Oh yes.
Mr. Fullerton: I don’t wanna give too much away, but imagine it… (really selling the story) It’s about an ex-secret agent living a quiet life as a college professor in a small corner of New England. He’s given up his old life for a new one. New name. New town. All’s he interested in is putting his past behind him. But then he gets roped back into a world of danger and intrigue by his sexy ex-partner, who shows up outta the blue one day to turn his new life upside down.
Madame Rose: (impressed) Doesn’t that sound exciting?
Prof. Plum: It does. Puts to mind one of my own scripts.
Mr. Fullerton: (weary) You’re a screenwriter?
Prof. Plum: Not professionally, no. (chuckles) But I believe I’ve written some cinema worthy material. Back when I was teaching at the University of Berkeley in the nineties, I went down to Hollywood one summer hoping to get my foot in the door. Suffice to say, it was a very unyielding door.
Mr. Fullerton: (with subtle insincerity) Their loss, I s’pose.
Prof. Plum: But your script and mine sound remarkably similar. A handsome college professor leading a double life. You know, I’ve done a bit of acting in my time and I always fancied myself in the role of the leading man.
Mr. Fullerton: So it’s a comedy?
Prof. Plum: (unaware that he is being mocked) No, it’s…
Mr. Fullerton: (cutting him off) Well our script is wholly original. And it’s gonna be huge, I promise you that, Mrs. Peacock. We got some big things planned. Big action! Big special effects! Like with that old pond at the back of the property.
Mrs. White: (suddenly animated) Old pond? Do you mean Shepherd’s Pond?
Mr. Fullerton: That’s the one. We’re planning to empty it out.
Mrs. White: What?! But why?!
Mr. Fullerton: For one of the film’s bigger action sequences. It’s a real money maker.
Mrs. White: (shocked) But you can’t do that! Shepherd’s Pond is where all the forest animals come to drink! What will they do?!
Prof. Plum: There are other drinking holes in the area, Mrs. White.
Mrs. White: But…. Then… then what of the fish?! And the frogs?! And all the other animals that live in the pond?! What will become of them?! How can your take their home away?!
Mr. Fullerton: (attempting sincerity) There’s nothin’ to worry about. We’ll make sure all the animals are safely relocated and when we’re done filming we’ll pay to have the pond refilled and bring ‘em back. No problem.
Mrs. White: (appalled) I’m sorry, but it does sound like a problem to me. To think one would disrupt nature for a… movie! (turning to MRS. PEACOCK) I know it’s not my place, Mrs. Peacock, but…
Mrs. Peacock: (soberly) No Blanche, I’m afraid it is not your place.
Mrs. White: (stiffening) Yes. Of course. If you’ll excuse me then, I have preparations for the summer festival that need attention.

[She gathers the tray with the empty sherry glasses and leaves the LOUNGE.]

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-01-2010, 01:57 AM

SCENE 3 – Hall
[MRS. WHITE exits the LOUNGE, carrying the tray and looking sour. The front door opens and in enters MR. BLACK.]

Mr. Black: Good day, Mrs. White.
Mrs. White: (sighs) Hello, Mr. Black. It, unfortunately, is not such a good day.
Mr. Black: I’m sorry to hear that. (distracted) Is Mrs. Peacock around?
Mrs. White: (bitterly) She’s in the lounge with her guest.
Mr. Black: (with a tinge of disappointment in his voice) Oh, he’s still here.
Mrs. White: And you’ll never guess who this ‘mystery man’ turned out to be. A film producer from Hollywood.
Mr. Black: Really? What does he want?
Mrs. White: To make a movie here at the grange, if you can believe. And turn all our lives upside down in the process.
Mr. Black: Did Mrs. Peacock agree?
Mrs. White: In spades. She’s quite gung-ho over the idea. But I tell you, Mr. Black, I have a very bad feeling about the whole thing.

[MRS. PEACOCK exits the LOUNGE, followed by MR. FULLERTON, COLONEL MUSTARD, MADAME ROSE, REVEREND GREEN and PROFFESOR PLUM.]

Mr. Fullerton: (spotting MR. BLACK across the room) Now there’s a site for sore eyes!
Mr. Black: (straightening)
Mr. Fullerton: (approaching MR. BLACK) It’s been a while since I’ve seen a proper driver’s uniform. (to MRS. PEACOCK) They don’t wear ‘em much out in LA anymore. It’s too bad. I think they add a touch of class.
Mrs. Peacock: Yes, they are rather smart looking. This is our Mr. Black, my personal chauffeur.
Mr. Fullerton: Blackie, eh? How’s it goin’, Blackie?
Mr. Black: Very well, sir.
Mr. Fullerton: (slapping MR. BLACK on the forearm) There’s a good man. (pulling his cell phone from his pocket as it begins to ring) Hold on. (answers it) Talk to me. Yeah. Uh-huh. Wait a sec. (to MRS. PEACOCK) S’cuse me for a moment. Business.
Mrs. Peacock: Of course.

[As MR. FULLERTON busies himself with his call, COLONEL MUSTARD pulls MRS. PEACOCK aside.]

Mrs. Peacock: Mike?
Col. Mustard: Now Elizabeth, be frank with me. I want to know if you’re absolutely certain of this whole deal.
Mrs. Peacock: (affectionately fixing his tie) Oh Mike, you do fret far too much.
Col. Mustard: I’m concerned, is all. There’s just something not right about this Jimmy Fullerton.
Mrs. Peacock: I realize that Mr. Fullerton is a bit unrefined.
Col. Mustard: Down right boorish, if you ask me.
Mrs. Peacock: Perhaps. But I need this, Mike. I hesitate to mention this in front of the others, but running the grange has become much more difficult as of late. What with the upkeep of the grounds and the house. My investments are not performing as well as I’d like at the moment. Three million dollars would be a real boon to me. I cannot afford to let this kind of opportunity pass me by.
Col. Mustard: But how do you plan to raise the five hundred thousand?
Mrs. Peacock: I’m just going to have to call in some old loans. Including yours.

[MADAME ROSE approaches MR. FULLERTON as he finishes his call.]

Mr. Fullerton: No, I want the six of them. Make sure you get on that by tonight. Okay. [hangs up]
Madame Rose: Hello, Mr. Fullerton.
Mr. Fullerton: Hey there… Madame Rose, was it?
Madame Rose: (jauntily) Yes, yes. You know, Mr. Fullerton, I have the strongest feeling that we’ve met before.
Mr. Fullerton: (joking) Why Madame Rose, I’m a married man.
Madame Rose: (giggles) Oh ho, you. No, what I mean is that your name is awfully familiar to me. But for the life of me, I just can’t place where I’ve heard it.
Mr. Fullerton: Maybe you met someone with the same name crossing over on the Mayflower.
Madame Rose: (oblivious) No no…
Mr. Fullerton: (phone rings again) Hold that thought. (answers) Talk to me. … Yeah. … He better have them all. … I don’t care what he says, if they’re not there by tomorrow, heads are gonna roll. You tell ‘im that. … Good. I’ll check in when I get back. (hangs up) (speaking to the room) Heh, studio can’t do anything without me.
Col. Mustard: (pompously) Interesting that for a big time Hollywood producer that you have such an outdated cell phone.
Mr. Fullerton: (unphased) This thing? Yeah, I’ve never been good at keepin’ up with technology. I’ve had this phone for years. Hasn’t quit on me yet, so why upgrade?

[The front door opens and MISS SCARLETT enters. She pauses, mouth agape, at everyone gathered in the HALL.]

Mrs. Peacock: (approaching her stepdaughter) Ah Vivian, I was wondering when you would turn up.
Miss Scarlett: (struggling to find her voice) I… I went to have breakfast with a friend early this morning… and I suppose I let the time get away from me.
Mrs. Peacock: Darling, let me introduce you to Mr. Jimmy Fullerton. (to MR. FULLERTON) Jimmy, this is my stepdaughter, Miss Vivian Scarlett.
Mr. Fullerton: (grinning and extending his hand) How do you do, Miss Scarlett?
Miss Scarlett: (cautiously excepting his hand) How do you do?
Mrs. Peacock: (enthusiastically) Mr. Fullerton is a Hollywood producer. His studio is going to make a film here at the grange. Can you imagine?
Miss Scarlett: (subdued) How exciting.
Mr. Fullerton: I gotta say, Mrs. Peacock, that your stepdaughter is even lovelier than you said she was.
Mrs. Peacock: Yes, Vivian is quite the beauty.
Mr. Fullerton: (to MISS SCARLETT) I bet the camera loves you.
Miss Scarlett: That’s… very kind of you. Please, excuse me for a moment.

[MISS SCARLETT hastily exits the HALL.]

SCENE 4 – Dining Room
[MISS SCARLETT enters, obviously agitated. Sighing, she sets her purse onto the dining room table and brings her hands to her head.]

Miss Scarlett: Oh god.

[A phone begins to ring.]

Miss Scarlett: (she pulls the cell phone from her purse but is instantly confused) What the… (she answers but hesitates for a second) …Hello? … Um, no. I’m sorry, Colonel Mustard isn’t available at the moment. … I’m his housekeeper. The Colonel accidentally left his cell phone at home today. … Yes, I will. … I’ll be sure to do that. … Thank you. Goodbye. (returning the phone to her purse) Jesus Christ, Mike.

[The DINING ROOM door opens and in steps MR. FULLERTON.]

Mr. Fullerton: Hello again, Miss Scarlett.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 AM

SCENE 5 – Hall
[Present in the HALL are MRS. PEACOCK, COLONEL MUSTARD, REVEREND GREEN and MADAME ROSE. The four stand conversing with one another when PROFESSOR PLUM reenters.]

Prof. Plum: Er uh, Elizabeth… (pulling MRS. PEACOCK aside) I seem to be in a bit of an indelicate situation. While making use of the downstairs facilities, I believe I was a might overzealous in pulling your toilet chain because (nervously laughs) the damn thing came off in my hand. (holding up the TOILET CHAIN)
Mrs. Peacock: (rolling her eyes) Oh Peter, not again.
Prof. Plum: I tried to reattach it, but only succeeded in furthering the problem.
Mrs. Peacock: (sighs) I suppose I’ll have to call the plumber.
Prof. Plum: No no, I learned a thing or two during my last… misadventure. Just give me the right tools and I’m sure I can fix it.
Mrs. Peacock: I think perhaps it would be much wiser to…
Prof. Plum: (determined) Have faith, Elizabeth. I’ll have it repaired in no time. (he rushes from the HALL, taking the TOILET CHAIN with him.)
Mrs. Peacock: Oh dear.

[On the other side of the HALL, MISS SCARLETT exits the DINING ROOM, incensed and clutching her purse tightly. COLONEL MUSTARD rushes to her side.]

Colonel Mustard: Vivian, what’s wrong?!
Miss Scarlett: I need a drink! (she storms out of the HALL with COLONEL MUSTARD in tow)

[MR. FULLERTON exits the DINING ROOM and rejoins MRS. PEACOCK and the others.]

Mrs. Peacock: Is something wrong, Jimmy?
Mr. Fullerton: I asked your stepdaughter if she’d wanna audition for one of the smaller parts in the film. But I think she was offended I wasn’t offering anything bigger.
Mrs. Peacock: That’s our Vivian, I’m afraid. She’s a lovely girl, but a bit spoiled. (wry) I suppose I’m in part to blame.

[Through the front door SERGEANT GRAY enters, carrying a large cardboard box of assorted items and a length of ROPE around his shoulder.]

Sgt. Gray: G'day, Mrs. Peacock.
Mrs. Peacock: Good day, Gerald.
Sgt. Gray: I brought those things you said… (stopping as he sees MR. FULLERTON) Oh, hello again, Mr. Fullerton.
Mrs. Peacock: (looking from one to the other) Have you two met?
Sgt. Gray: Well, I…
Mr. Fullerton: Your good sergeant here gave me a ticket this morning.
Mrs. Peacock: (aghast) What?!
Sgt. Gray: (meekly) He uh… He was speeding.
Mrs. Peacock: (admonishing) How ridiculous! There’s hardly anyone on the roads as is, for heaven’s sake. Really, Gerald. Mr. Fullerton is a guest in our village. Is that any way to treat a guest?
Sgt. Gray: Be that as it may, but…
Mrs. Peacock: I want you to tear up the ticket.
Sgt. Gray: I… I can’t do that.
Mrs. Peacock: Of course you can.
Sgt. Gray: (floundering) With all due respect, Mrs. Peacock, I don’t…
Mrs. Peacock: You do not realize the sort of opportunities that Mr. Fullerton brings to Arlington. His production company promises to revitalize our community. And is this how we show our gratitude?
Sgt. Gray: But…
Mrs. Peacock: (turning to MR. FULLERTON) Jimmy, I am deeply embarrassed by this situation and I wholly apologize for…
Sgt. Gray: (conceding) I’ll… tear up the ticket.
Mrs. Peacock: (smiling) There, I knew you’d see reason.
Mr. Fullerton: Now don’t be too hard on ‘im, Mrs. Peacock. I’m sure he couldn’t help jumping the gun. Small town cop with nothin’ to do, I bet seeing someone like me just got him over excited.
Sgt. Gray: (turns red)
Mr. Fullerton: That aside, I wonder if you could be so good as t’ point me to your restroom.
Mrs. Peacock: Of course, the uh… no. The downstairs lavatory is out of commission right now. You can use the second story restroom. Up the stairs and third door on the left.
Mr. Fullerton: Much obliged.

[MR. FULLETON ascends the stairs.]

Sgt. Gray: (clearing his throat) I brought the stuff you wanted for the summer festival. (still holding the box and ROPE)
Mrs. Peacock: (as if nothing had happened) Thank you, Gerald. You know where to set them.
Sgt. Gray: Yes, Mrs. Peacock.
Rev. Green: Oh, that reminds me. (moving to the entrance way) I’ve brought over that BB gun you wanted for the shooting gallery.
Sgt. Gray: (eyes widen) I don’t think that’s a BB gun, Reverend Green. That looks more like a rifle.
Rev. Green: Does it? (holding the RIFLE up to get a better look at it) Well good gracious, it is! I must have accidentally picked up Colonel Mustard’s rifle instead.
Mrs. Peacock: Honestly, Jonathan, what a mistake to make.
Madame Rose: (amused) One must admit though it would have brought a whole other level of realism to the shooting gallery.

SCENE 6 – Billiard Room
[COLONEL MUSTARD, agitated by the days events, attempts to unwind by playing a bit of pool. SERGEANT GRAY stands off to the side.]

Col. Mustard
: (lining up the POOL CUE) (nastily) Jimmy Fullerton’s head in the corner pocket. (takes shot)
Sgt. Gray: That Mr. Fullerton has really shaken things up here today.
Col. Mustard: There’s an understatement.
Sgt. Gray: Mrs. Peacock seems to be firmly under his spell.
Col. Mustard: (grimacing) If only I could prove to her that he’s a charlatan.
Sgt. Gray: Do you have proof?
Col. Mustard: (reluctantly) Not exactly. … But I am a good judge of character, and I wouldn’t trust that man at an arm’s length. What other kind of sort just waltzes into town and then casually asks for five hundred thousand dollars? (with a slight tone of worry) Five hundred thousand that Elizabeth doesn’t even quite have together yet. (moving around the table) Couldn’t you run him out of the village?
Sgt. Gray: Mr. Fullerton hasn’t broken any laws yet. (sheepish) Well…
Col. Mustard: (sardonically) Yes, the reverend mentioned that he made quite the fool of you.
Sgt. Gray: (reddening again and avoiding the subject) The whole thing may still fall through. The council might reject… (stopping himself) Oh yeah.
Col. Mustard: Yes, Elizabeth’s the head of the village council.
Sgt. Gray: Then I guess we’re at a loss.
Col. Mustard: (lines the POOL CUE and strikes) Not just yet.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-01-2010, 02:10 AM

SCENE 7 – Kitchen
[MRS. WHITE stands at the central kitchen island sectioning a chicken with a CHEF’S KNIFE for that evening’s dinner. Opposite her sits MR. BLACK.]

Mrs. White: (sighing, she sets down the KNIFE) It’s no good. I simply can’t focus on what I’m doing.
Mr. Black: You shouldn’t let it get to you, Mrs. White.
Mrs. White: I know I shouldn’t, especially with all the preparations for the summer festival that need attending to. But I can’t help but find myself distracted. I fear that it may not get all done.
Mr. Black: (with a consoling smile) I wouldn’t worry. You’re a miracle worker. I know you can do it. Plus, you’ll always have my help.
Mrs. White: (smiling back) You are a comfort, Mr. Black.
Mr. Black: I’m really looking forward to this year’s summer festival.
Mrs. White: I am glad. It’s refreshing to see someone around here excited for the festival. The rest of us seem to regard it as nothing but work.
Mr. Black: You forget, I haven’t experienced as many as the rest of you.
Mrs. White: Oh, that’s right. Well I’m going to take a page from your book, Mr. Black. I’m not going to let it get to me. I am going to put that foul Mr. Fullerton straight out of my mind.

[REVEREND GREEN enters, the RIFLE still in his possession.]

Rev. Green: I wish I could do the same.
Mrs. White: It has been a trying day.
Rev. Green: (bitterly) And the day is still early. Well I should be returning to the church, return this bothersome thing. (acknowledging the RIFLE) Good day, Mrs. White. David.
Mr. Black: Reverend.
Mrs. White: Goodbye, Reverend.

[REVEREND GREEN exits through the back door. Outside, on the manor grounds, he pauses and takes the RIFLE in both hands.]

Rev. Green: (solemnly) God forgive me for what I am about to do.

[Back inside the KITCHEN.]

Mrs. White: (preparing the chicken) Sergeant Gray said he’ll be taking Mayor Hawthorne’s place in the dunk tank this time around. After what happened last year, I certainly don’t…
Mr. Black: (with alarm) Mrs. White, stop! That’s rat poison!
Mrs. White: (she stops and quickly looks down at the box in her hand) Oh my heavens! I thought it was the corn starch! The boxes are near identical! (catching her breath) It’s a blessing you were here, Mr. Black.
Mr. Black: I should say.
Mrs. White: And here I talk about not being distracted anymore. (handing him the box of RAT POISON) Put this over by the sink, would you.
Mr. Black: (complies)
Mrs. White: (turns to fetch the real box of corn starch from a nearby counter) I’m not adverse to having my chicken have a bit of spice, but honestly.

[MRS. PEACOCK enters the kitchen.]

Mrs. Peacock: Oh there you are, David. Mr. Fullerton won’t be staying too much longer, so I should be ready to leave soon. Please make sure the car is ready.
Mr. Black: Yes, Mrs. Peacock. (he exits the KITCHEN)
Mrs. Peacock: (approaching MRS. WHITE) Blanche, I do hope you can forgive me for admonishing you earlier.
Mrs. White: (with sincerity) Of course, Mrs. Peacock. You had every right. It was disrespectful of me to argue with a guest.
Mrs. Peacock: And you do know that I value your opinion. You’re a great confidant to me. But you needn’t worry yourself about Mr. Fullerton or the pond. Everything will be fine, I promise you that.
Mrs. White: If you say so, ma’am.
Mrs. Peacock: (smiles) Good. (Looking down around her feet she sees a length of LEAD PIPING and a toolbox propped against the wall) Why are these things here?
Mrs. White: That would be Professor Plum’s doing, ma’am. He got them out to fix the downstairs toilet but then disappeared.
Mrs. Peacock: (with annoyance) I swear, that man. Well the kitchen is not the appropriate place for hardware. Please do something with them, Mrs. White. (exits)
Mrs. White: (wiping off her hands, she reaches down and picks up the LEAD PIPE) I’ll do something, all right.

SCENE 8 – Hall
[MR. FULLERTON stands talking to MADAME ROSE. Nearby MISS PEACH busies herself with the dusting.]

Madame Rose: (mid-conversation) We were in Locarno at the time, on holiday, and my husband’s friend, Monsieur Duchamp, said if we’d like to drop by and meet Fellini. Now can you imagine?! For the remainder of the day I was beside myself anticipation! … That is until we found out that Fellini was actually a young, male, Venetian flower arranger that Monsieur Duchamp had left his wife for.
Mr. Fullerton: (insincerely) That’s a whole load of fascinating right there, Madame Rose. (rubbing his chest) Criminy, that breakfast from this morning is backin’ up on me. (addressing MISS PEACH) Hey sweetheart.
Miss Peach: (stops and tenses) Yes, sir.
Mr. Fullerton: How ‘bout you go fetch me a glass of water so I can take my Zantac.
Miss Peach: (timidly) Yes, sir.
Mr. Fullerton: Thanks, dollface.

[MISS PEACH leaves the HALL.]

Madame Rose: I am still wracking my brain trying to remember where I’ve heard your name before, Mr. Fullerton.
Mr. Fullerton: Well don’t hurt yourself. (his cell phone rings) Just a sec. (answers) Talk to me. … Oh, hello there. … Okay. … Sure thing. (removing the phone from his ear) If you’ll excuse me, Madame Rose. Private call. (he takes her hand in his own, places the other around her waist and gives MADAME ROSE a twirl and a quick dip) (smiling) Catch ya later.
Madame Rose: (girlishly giggling) Oh, Mr. Fullerton.

[MR. FULLERTON disappears from the room. Left alone, MADAME ROSE casually drifts about the HALL. Moving to a side table, she picks up a CANDLESTICK and studies it.]

Madame Rose: (to herself) Now I remember where I know that name from.

[She exits the HALL with the CANDLESTICK in hand.]

SCENE 9 – Hall (sometime later)
[MISS PEACH hurries in, frantic.}

Miss Peach: Someone come quick! It’s Mr. Fullerton! He’s dead!

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 08-01-2010 at 06:59 AM..

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 AM

Additional Evidence

SCENE 5 – Hall
Miss Scarlett: I need a drink! (she storms out of the HALL with COLONEL MUSTARD in tow)

SCENE 5A – Kitchen

[MISS SCARLETT stomps into the KITCEHN with COLONEL MUSTARD behind her. She drops her purse by the sink, takes a glass from the counter, fills it with water and quickly downs it.]
Col. Mustard: Vivian, what is going on?
Miss Scarlett: (turning to him, distraught) Oh Mike, it’s terrible. That awful Jimmy Fullerton!
Col. Mustard: What did he do?!
Miss Scarlett: He… He’s blackmailing me!
Col. Mustard: What?! How?!
Miss Scarlett: Do you remember a couple of years ago when I went to LA to try to make it as an actress?
Col. Mustard: Yes.
Miss Scarlett: Well, that’s the first time I actually met Jimmy Fullerton. He said he could help me with my career, but all he did was use me!
Col. Mustard: And how does blackmail work into all this?
Miss Scarlett: (trying to be innocent) I did some modeling for him once. … Nude modeling.
Col. Mustard: (exhaustively) Oh Vivian.
Miss Scarlett: And he says now that if I don’t come across he’ll not only tell my stepmother, he’ll put the photos up on the internet.
Col. Mustard: What do you mean ‘come across’?
Miss Scarlett: (rolling her eyes) I mean come across!
Col. Mustard: (angry) That bastard! When I get my hands on him…
Miss Scarlett: No, you can’t! If you kick up a fuss now, mother will find out. (leaning in close and putting her arms around him)(seductively) You’ll have to find another way to get rid of him.
Col. Mustard: But how?
Miss Scarlett: (blunt) I don’t care how, just do it!
[Fists clenched, MISS SCARLETT exits the KITCHEN. COLONEL MUSTARD leans both hands on the edge of the sink and sighs.]

SCENE 5 – Hall
Mr. Fullerton: That aside, I wonder if you could be so good as t’ point me to your restroom.
Mrs. Peacock: Of course, the uh… no. The downstairs lavatory is out of commission right now. You can use the second story restroom. Up the stairs and third door on the left.
Mr. Fullerton: Much obliged.
(MR. FULLETON ascends the stairs.)

SCENE 5B – Miss Scarlett’s Bedroom

[Inside Miss Scarlett’s bedroom MISS PEACH stands before the vanity mirror, admiring the diamond necklace around her neck. Suddenly, the door flies open.]

Miss Peach: (jumps) Oh!
Mr. Fullerton: Whoops, wrong room.
Miss Peach: (with a sigh of relief) You frightened me, sir.
Mr. Fullerton: Sorry, I thought this was the can. (looking around) Say, this isn’t your room, is it?
Miss Peach: (blushing) No sir, it’s Miss Scarlett’s.
Mr. Fullerton: (closing the door) Is that your necklace?
Miss Peach: (quickly removing the necklace and placing it on the vanity) N-no sir.
Mr. Fullerton: (approaching her) You weren’t plannin’ to steal it, were you?
Miss Peach: (taking a step back) No sir, of course not. It’s just that Miss Scarlett has such lovely things. I like to try them on sometimes, but that’s all.
Mr. Fullerton: (picking up the necklace) I don’t know. Beautiful piece like this, just lyin’ around. Must be pretty tempting.
Miss Peach: I would never!
Mr. Fullerton: Does Miss Scarlett know you like to try on her things?
Miss Peach: (shrinking) No.
Mr. Fullerton: That’s too bad. It’s a shame then that I’m gonna have to tell Mrs. Peacock.
Miss Peach: (frightened) Oh no, sir! Please, you can’t!
Mr. Fullerton: I’m afraid I have no other option.
Miss Peach: Oh please, sir, I’m begging you. Won’t you change your mind?!
Mr. Fullerton: Well… (ponders) on one condition.
Miss Peach: Anything!
Mr. Fullerton: Have dinner with me tonight.
Miss Peach: (taken aback) What?
Mr. Fullerton: I’m in town till tomorrow morning. How ‘bout you and me gettin’ together tonight?
Miss Peach: But… But I…
Mr. Fullerton: You said you’d do anything.
Miss Peach: (stands speechless)
Mr. Fullerton: (removing a card from his jacket pocket and giving it to her) Here’s my number. Call me up later, ‘round six tonight and we’ll hammer this out. (smiles) Don’t disappoint me.
[MR. FULLERTON exits the room, leaving MISS PEACH looking fearful.]

SCENE 7 – Kitchen
Mrs. White: (wiping off her hands, she reaches down and picks up the LEAD PIPE) I’ll do something, all right

SCENE 7A – Tool Shed
[Having made her way out of the KITCHEN and around the back of the manor, MRS. WHITE barges into the tool shed carrying the LEAD PIPE and tool box.]

Mrs. White: (exasperated) Everything will be all right, she says. Well it certainly doesn’t feel right to me.
[She places the LEAD PIPE on a nearby bench. But before she can put down the toolbox, it slips from her hand with a loud crash. It opens, and out tumbles a screwdriver, hammer, WRENCH, hacksaw and other assorted tools.]
Mrs. White: (further agitated) Oh blast that Professor Plum! (she storms from the tool shed)

SolutionX

Mr. Black: By all appearances I have good life. A good job. Good employer. Good friends. And it’s true. My past few years at Arlington Grange have been some of my happiest. But my life hasn’t always been so good.

Yeah, I knew Jimmy Fullerton. Jimmy Fullerton was a rotten, underhanded, lying, manipulative cheat. I told the others that before coming to Arlington I had lived in Oregon. But the truth of the matter is that before I came out here I was Jimmy’s driver out in LA. He wasn’t such a bad boss, but he lived a fast life. And he expected everyone around him to do the same. I… made some bad choices, which inevitably led to a drug problem. A drug problem fueled by that man! And in the end he fired me, when it was him who got me started and him who kept me supplied with drugs!

“Shoulda known that a good thing never lasts, kid.” He said that to me, right before he let me go. I lost my job, my apartment, my girlfriend. All of it. I had nothing. But despite having nothing, I managed to pull myself together and get myself clean. After that I wanted to get as far from LA as I could.

Somehow, I found my way to Arlington. Much more than that though, I found the chance to start again. Far as I was concerned, my old life was dead and buried. Then one day here comes Jimmy with a shovel.

It started the week before, driving Mrs. Peacock out of town. She was excited. She said no one knew yet, but that a very important man named James Fullerton was coming to the grange. My heart instantly started going a mile a minute. Could it be him? Could it be the same person? I was afraid it was. And a part of me didn’t want to know. So the day before he was supposed to show up, I asked if I could have the day off. Mrs. Peacock agreed, but only after taking her on a quick errand into the village.

I turned up late at the manor, hoping to miss him. But he was still there, and sure enough Mrs. White cemented my worst fears. It was Jimmy. When they all came out of the Lounge I was sure I was done. Jimmy pretended not to know me, though. Not too sure why, but he always liked to play games with people. At first I hoped he hadn’t recognized me, but then he called me Blackie. That’s what he always called me.

I like working for Mrs. Peacock. She’s treated me better than most people I’ve known. I’m very loyal to her. And the second I saw Jimmy I knew trouble was coming her way. Jimmy musta done it hundreds of times. He promised people the moon. Lured them and their money in with talk of big budget movies and big Hollywood stars. But in the end he always delivered poor scripts, small budgets and a washed up scream queen straight from the 80s. Oh he was a legitimate producer, all right. He just produced piles crap. And those who invested with him lost their shirts, while he walked away having made a tidy sum.
Crazy thing is it’s legal. And the things that weren’t he was a master at covering up.

I couldn’t let him do that to Mrs. Peacock. I had to get him alone and try to convince him to lay off. But how? It didn’t start coming together until Mrs. White asked me to put the rat poison over by the sink. Miss Scarlett’s purse lay there, open. I saw the phone inside and grabbed it, on impulse, while Mrs. White’s back was turned. I didn’t know it was Colonel Mustard’s and it wasn’t my intention to get him or Miss Scarlett in trouble. But like said, it was on impulse and I had to work fast.

Earlier in the hall I saw that Jimmy still had the same phone from when I worked for him. And I guessed that he still had the same number too. Outside I called Jimmy and told ‘im to meet me in the ballroom. I chose the ballroom cause it’s at the back of the manor and wasn’t being used at the time. I told him where to go and to not mention he was meeting me. Moving around the side of the house I heard a crash and saw Mrs. White coming out of the tool shed. Looking inside, the wrench was on the floor. So I picked it up and shoved it in my back pocket. All I wanted to do was talk to Jimmy, I swear, but he wasn’t a guy who was easily bargained with. … So I guess you could say I needed a bargaining tool.

Jimmy let me in through the French doors. He greeted me like I was an old friend, if you can believe it. I asked him to please pack up his things and to leave Arlington. To leave Mrs. Peacock alone and to not look back. “Not in a million years.” He said. I threatened to expose him for the phony he was, but he said if I did he’d tell everyone about my past. I couldn’t let that happen. I couldn’t let Mrs. Peacock and everyone know that I had lied. But what could I do? Jimmy had me. He just smiled that sickening smile of his and said, “Shoulda known that a good thing never lasts, kid.”

“No it doesn’t.” I replied, just before removing the wrench from my back pocket.

It’s funny. I did everything to keep Jimmy from ruining my new life. But when it’s all said and done, he ended up doing it anyway.

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 08-25-2010 at 11:04 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-02-2010, 02:04 AM

I'm ready! :D

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 AM

w00t! Cherry's the first to arrive.

Facade's online, but apparently in La La Land.

I hope Hammy, Demo and Daria can make it.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-02-2010, 02:10 AM

Yeah, I don't think this will be very fun if it's just me. :lol:

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-02-2010, 02:14 AM

Facade disappeared. D:

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 AM

-rolls in, pants professor Plum, rolls out-

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-02-2010, 02:16 AM

*staples Biggles in place*

Perhaps you'll need to appoint new detectives. :lol:

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 08-02-2010, 02:18 AM

Nooo. How will I add to the intrigue (appearing at windows, weeping on the moor) if I'm stuck here?

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 AM

Yeah Cherry. How else will Biggles dance on trash cans and swing from lamp posts?

... I need to sign off for a couple of minutes. Be right back. ;D

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 AM

We have starved dogs coated in phosphorous for that purpose.

Snowberry
Annihilator of Cookies

Old 08-02-2010, 02:26 AM

o': Cherry the lone detective! *watches with binoculars*

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 AM

Phosphorus :drool:

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 AM

I'll be sure to write this up on their performance reports.

*hands Detective Cherry a magnifying glass shaped cookie*

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 AM

Can I have a cookie once I finish my phosphorus?

Snowberry
Annihilator of Cookies

Old 08-02-2010, 02:33 AM

Biggles~ you should save some phosphorous to dip your cookie. :3

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 08-02-2010, 02:33 AM

Oh, good call. Phosphorus biscotti. Mmm.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 AM

@Biggles ~ Sure. But all I have left are these cookies shaped like Joseph Stalin.

Snowberry
Annihilator of Cookies

Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 AM

What about Rasputin shaped? o,o

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 AM

I would relish biting that man's head off. Rasputin that is. Stalin will do in a pinch, though.