meririm
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-14-2007, 06:00 PM

So.
I guess most people doing computer graphics use the well-known programs (photoshop, PSP, the Gimp or, God forbid, MS Paint), but I was wondering if some people here used alternative software, such as opencanvas etc...

Wich one do you like, or hate? Why?

http://www.artrage.com/artragefeatures.html
I've been using artrage from time to time and thought it was brilliant - but I haven't checked out the latest version yet. The textures and the feeling of the brush (it gets dirty!) were great. I recommend it, at least for a try, there's a free version.

Meliya
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-15-2007, 01:21 AM

Sounds interesting. ^^; I have Photoshop, used Paint Shop Pro in the past.. I'm going to get the free version.

I do have the crappy version of Corel Painter, which I haven't worked with too much, but it seems to be an okay program.

Tittri
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-15-2007, 01:57 AM

I use Photoshop CS, Open Canvas 3.03 & 1.01 and Painter IX.

The 4 (well, 3, rather.) programs have their strengths and weaknesses.

Photoshop : It's amazing what you can do with photoshop, but I found it best for cell shading. Soft shading cged on photoshop can look gorgeous as well, but because of the fact that its less pressure sensitive than other programs requires you to really know the different types of brushes and how to utilize them. lthough its true of most, if not all programs, I found that you should be extra weary in photoshop. Photoshop is great for touch ups & bgs. Even if you don't master this program, it great as a starter program and it's easier to handle.

Open Canvas 3.03/1.01 : Love these programs. They are easy to use, and definately more versatile than Photoshop. It has just enough tools to do what you need to do without theconfusing brushes. The custom sizes & settings are really useful as well. Of course one of the major upsides is that the program itself is alot smaller than Photoshop, so it doesn't kill the less-than-great older PCs with little RAM. The great thing about this program is that it's alot easier to blend for the smoother coloring.
3.03 can save files in psd format, so you can touch it up in Photoshop, if need be. Also, it has the 'Event' feature that allows you to save the animation of the file which saves you the trouble of making tutorials, if you ever needed to make one.

1.01 has the networking feature which allows you to draw with your friends, should you have a host for the network. It's like paintchat, but with undo buttons and alot more tools.

Painter IX: By far, one of the hardeest, if not THE hardest, most difficult program to learn. There are so many tools, which are convinient for those who know how to utilize them. The only thing that can be said of this is to play around with the program. Once you get the hang of it, it's such a great program and it allows you to do so many things. The scratchboard pen tool is a great tool for line art & flat colors. Acrylic tools is great for blending & shading. But it's so dang confusing @_@

Dawn Crest
*^_^*

Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 AM

I love using Photoshop; Because it's not all about painting, you can edit photos aswell (which is what I enjoy doing ^____^)

I have to say that Artrage is...rubbish ^^;; It's just like MSpaint but more realistic, I never found I could do anything worthwhile on it xDD

I'd reccommend OpenCanvas. I have one installed on my computer (not sure which version) and it's good. Of course I dont hardly ever use it because I alsways use Photoshop :)

meririm
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-15-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Crest
I have to say that Artrage is...rubbish ^^;; It's just like MSpaint but more realistic, I never found I could do anything worthwhile on it xDD
You should see the galleries on artrage's website, then XD There are some killer works there.

About Painter, I've been reluctant to use it, as the demo had a major keyboard problem: it keeps working as if my keyboard was querty, when I've a belgian azerty. Yeah. Select all (ctrl A) prompts me to close the file. It gets annoying. And prior to that, painter 6 crashed down when I used my tablet.
That's why I'll probably always prefer Photoshop over painter, even though painter has much more illustration qualities: usability. I'm a total keyboard shortcuts addict - I shorcuted everything, from brush size to color palette edition to... Well, everything I can dream to use in pixel art. Also... I remember the time when I saw 5x5 cm of drawing under the mess of painter's palettes XD
Then of course photoshop does nearly everything. Web, pixel, painting, manip,...

`Riku
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 AM

I use photoshop and PSP 9. <3333
But they kinda suck for art,. xD

ChibiTotoro222
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-16-2007, 05:42 PM

I used photoshop CS2, but before I used Paint Shop Pro 7. C:
I still need to learn about layer properties though. xDDD <3

I completely abuse the dodge tool in my art. >.>;;

meririm
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-16-2007, 08:50 PM

I totally forgot about paint shop pro. Oo.

Anyway, anyone know if there are pixel/tilesets/spritesets oriented programs? Preferably able to generate an animation without having to make a separate file with all the cut parts...

ChibiTotoro222
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-17-2007, 02:52 AM

This one has been recommended, but I can't say I ever used it myself. C:

http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/index.html

meririm
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-17-2007, 08:54 AM

I'll look into that one, it looks good enough... And cheap too, which is always good when you're saving to open your own business *cough*. (Ever looked at photoshop's pricetag?)

Marron
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 02-18-2007, 03:07 AM

Actually, I wouldn't go dissing MS Paint just yet. While it's primitive in the fact that it can't blend soft colors nor does it have layers, it's actually very nice to draw in for bold, almost cel-like coloring. If you know how to work solids, MS Paint can be a god send because you don't have to fight with all of those fancy tools that the other programs have.

When I don't feel like coloring in solids, I actually just use Gimpshop. Well, a Gimpshop that's been given a good bit of help with some extra plugins and such. Gimp's brushes aren't really that useful for blending.. But if you know how to use a selection tool and you've mastered the fabulous art of shading with a gradient, it can look amazing~

ChibiTotoro222
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-18-2007, 03:12 AM

It takes forever, but I think they looked crisp and nice if done right. :DDDD
Although, I dun like it when people only use like...two shades for the entire thing though. D:
Or use only the default colors in the color box. >.>;;

But this guy said that he didn't believe that I did my edits in MS Paint, which really got me mad. ; o;
And then he didn't understand why I didn't like him. x:
Even though I never said I didn't. xD

I hate how you can only undo three times though. D:

Marron
⊙ω⊙
n/a

Old 02-18-2007, 03:56 AM

Mwuhahah~ I've actually never had a problem with the undo limit. If I think I'm going to mess up, I just make a copy and paste it off to the side if I need it.

I make all of my pixel work for things like dolls in MS Paint, too. :3 I find that it's much easier for some reason. <3 And I like making custom colors on MS Paint for some strange reason. < w < It's really quite fun.

ChibiTotoro222
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-18-2007, 04:06 AM

Yeah, I didn't before. o:
But now I'm just overly pampered from photoshop. xDDD <333
The eraser is REALLY annoying when you're trying to do pixel work in photoshop though. ; o;
It makes me cry. TTATT

meririm
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiTotoro222
The eraser is REALLY annoying when you're trying to do pixel work in photoshop though. ; o;
How so? :shock:

ChibiTotoro222
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 PM

Well, I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong. xD

The only avatar edit I did on photoshop CS2 was one for the Zantarni contest.
Which I ended up getting frustrated and never finished. xD

All the other ones I did on MS Paint. xDDD

But the eraser won't erase at 100% for me. ; o;

I guess I could just make it white because that would make it basically the same as erasing? o:
But I have to press my tablet pen down really hard on that one spot. TT__TT

meririm
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 PM

In photoshop? when you do pixel, first set the eraser to "pencil", then go to the brushes panel, and uncheck opacity and pressure sensitivity. (I don't know which version you have, though. Ah, and be sure opacity is at 100%)

ChibiTotoro222
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-20-2007, 10:33 PM

Oh. xD

That makes sense. xDDD <33

Thanks Rim~ x3 <333

Kain
*^_^*
n/a

Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 PM

I've been using Photoshop for as long as I can remember. Upgraded to CS2 for about a year now I think, and it's been a blast. Mainly doing graphics and design, no pixeling for blind ol' me lol....

Any thoughts and opinions on Illustrator? I've been thinking about getting it.

Mermy
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-09-2007, 05:51 AM

ArtWeaver. I only use free art programs. >w>;;