stilettolover
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to stilettolover

Old 03-10-2007, 03:30 PM

I have recently discovered the wonderfulness that is jewelry making. I have been creating things like mad now that I bought my three in one tool to cut curl and bend. It makes my life so much easier than juggling needle nose pliers and wire cutters that aren't designed for such a delicate job!

And it's so nice to make accessories to match any outfit and there are so many beads/jewels/etc that there are endless possibilities!

I have a lot of old costume jewelry that I am remaking into new things, such as this beautiful cubic zirconia earring I found at my uni a couple of years ago (I'ts the size of my thumbnail!) that I'm making into a pendant.

Are there any other jewelry makers out there? Any tips for me? Good places to get good quality supplies? I've been getting most of my beads at Walmart and my metal pieces at Michaels since they have better quality metal.

Lilithia
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Oh, I want to do jewelry making again!! DX When I was a kid I used to do it all the time, but not anymore... I should take it up again.

shosho
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 03-10-2007, 04:11 PM

Oh, wow! Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of delving myself into this kind of art. I have a friend, who's really into it, and she loves making them! Her creations are so cute XD It does make accessorizing a lot more fun since things are a lot more personalized.

I'd love to get into this though... so may be one day I will. The only jewelry making I've been sort of "involved" in was when I was working at this jewelry manufacturing store XD; Working with gold, diamonds, other expensive stones... As much as those things are so beautiful, working with them always made me so nervous (1 stone > my life) XD;

I'd love to see some of your creations though! *3* If you've got some pictures, please, post! X3

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-10-2007, 04:27 PM

I haven't done anything very special yet, I've just been getting used to my new tools. Most of what I've done is made from sets (simple chandeliers and necklace strands) but when I do something with a little more work I'll take pictures!

It can get a little bit pricey if you buy the really nice stuff (you can buy Swarovski crystals!) but I mostly grab some big colored sets and you can just sort through and get some great stuff.

It's really very easy to do the basics. You just need pliers and cutters (or an all in one like I have) and you're in business! Oh, and a little bit of dexterity doesn't hurt.

shosho
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 03-10-2007, 04:38 PM

Oh! I must've misread your first post XD;;; I'm sorry. I thought that now that you have your 3-in-1 tool, you don't have to struggle using pliars/cutters anymore XD;;; But what does this all in one tool look like? :o I'm curious!

I've always liked those handy-craft type of things (knitting/jewelry making), but unfortunately, I don't have the patience in general TTATT;; Jewelry making does seem quite easy though. I think the materials shouldn't be too expensive over here.

Yay! I'll look forward to see those pictures! X3 If you don't mind me asking, what got you into jewelry making? :o

stationwagon
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-10-2007, 09:03 PM

Do you use polymer(sp)?
At this place near me they have classes on how to make jewelry out of polymer

shosho
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 03-11-2007, 03:04 AM

E? I don't even know what that is, I'm sorry TTATT;;;

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 03-11-2007, 06:53 AM

Oh, I love beads and beading. I'm not so good with coming up with patterns for necklaces and stuff though. It's unfortunate, because I do think I can pick out cool color combinations.

I'd just have to practice more...*wishes for motivation*

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-11-2007, 07:19 AM

I do bead work as well but I also take a Metal and Silversmithing course from my university. I actually would like to go into jewelry making as a profession. I enjoy casting rings with bronze, silver, and gold.
I will soon have photos of my work on DA i just haven't had the time to take any yet n_n
Soon I'll be taking a commission for a one of a kind lost wax cast ring. :3

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-11-2007, 10:28 AM

No, I don't use polymer.

I don't make my own beads, I use mostly pre-made fixings. I have soldered some stuff, we did a jewelry unit in a craft class I took in uni.

I'd love to be able to cast stuff, though! I have no idea how. T_T

Dragolynia
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Dragolynia Send a message via Yahoo to Dragolynia

Old 03-13-2007, 12:25 AM

My mom and I have been wanting to try jewelry making for some time now. I don't know why we haven't, specially size there is a really nice jewelry making store a few blocks away. I always go in but never buy anything. I could combine jewelry making with my Kanzashi's.

ToriKat
(ó㉨ò)

Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 AM

I don't wear any jewelry, but after a program where we made earrings, I really, really got into it. XD I plan on going to Hobby Lobby and buying a ton of stuff just to play with. I don't have my ears pierced, but I plan on just giving them away.

I'm an amateur...so...sorry, no tips. ^^; Also, Hobby Lobby is the only arts and crafts store in my area.

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-13-2007, 02:01 AM

I don't wear much jewelry because I can't wear most metals for very long. ^^; But I'm willing to bear with some itchy ears to wear some of my own designs.

I'm in the process of making some stuff using white-gold plated pieces I got at Michaels for a friend to go with her engagment ring. xD She's been grumbling for six months because all she owns is yellow gold.

ToriKat
(ó㉨ò)

Old 03-13-2007, 04:35 AM

Oo, that sounds really pretty! You should show off some of your work to us. <3 I'd definitely like to see how the accessories to the engagement ring will look like! :D

Jitsumi1221
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via MSN to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via Yahoo to Jitsumi1221

Old 03-14-2007, 04:08 AM

i used to work quite a bit with silver and semi precious stones *shrugs* but then after a while lost interest and instead went to painting. though i would very much like to take metals in uni at some point to make jewelry and a gauntlet.

Aiyana
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Aiyana

Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 AM

I used to. XD About a few years ago I was really into bead weaving for bracelets and necklaces. I haven't had the time since then to do any beadwork. They're usually way more trouble than they're worth for me since the string kept snapping. @_@

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM

I've heard about it..but isn't it difficult? Don't you have to melt stuff? I know you can buy wire etc. but when you're trying to set this or that in something, and you've just got wire, isn't there like melting and such required? o.O'

Never tried it before, because it sounded like it was a hassle. How is it so far?

stilettolover
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-14-2007, 04:23 PM

I'm not doing anything very difficult. I'm mostly taking apart old costume jewerly and re-stranding it or using the beads/stones and putting them on new fixings. You can create casts and yes, you melt metal, but I don't know how to do that. Rvaya's done it, maybe she'll elaborate.

I've had to solder stuff before, using a very hot...poker thing.. xD So technical. It has a lot of uses for soft metals, you use it for electronics as well. It's rather easy to do, you basically melt the wire so it fits around the stone/bead. I don't know how to create complicated settings like you'd see for rings.

But you can buy things already set in metal, you just need to strand it. ^_^; I take the lazy route.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 AM

Yeah..if I did that I'd prolly hurt myself and get scars that would never go away. T_T''' I'm not very good with crafts sort of thing. I managed to get clue on my keyboard when making a plushie panda. >.o'''

Jitsumi1221
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via MSN to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via Yahoo to Jitsumi1221

Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 PM

yar, you dont HAVE to solder anything, but generally its better to because it makes things a bit stronger (so if your using a soft metal it doesnt just pull apart if you accidentally jerk it) and it helps get the stupid sharp bits out.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-16-2007, 01:25 AM

Aah. Sounds pretty cool. :D Hey whenever you finish some pieces can you show us and esplain? XD Cause though I'm not into jewelry-making stuff (I completely lack the know-how), I'd deefinately be ubercurious and interested. :) Sounds like an interesting hobby.