Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-29-2007, 06:58 PM

Yes, I am jumping on the bandwagon with creating a drabble thread too (though my drabbles may not be very short and drabblelike)! Why? Because I've not written on my story in over a year and a half and I need some way of getting back into it - of reconnecting with my characters, motivating myself to continue, and exploring who they really are! And I've enjoyed how others have been doing this.

For this thread, I am selecting the characters from my current novel-in-progress called Vionelle. Upon completion of the 100, assuming I can do so, I might move on to some of my other storylines.

Anyhow, for Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) probably about 4 or 5 years ago, I wrote a novella called "The Key to the City." Throughout that story, one of the characters shares a little about the history of the city with another. So the following year, thinking of an idea, I decided to try to actually put those anecdotes into story-form. So Vionelle was born, but it never ended, even when Nanowrimo did. It may never end, but I'd like to think I could continue on it somehow. No plans for publishing - I'm certainly not a polished writer. But it is fun being able to shape an actual story.

So I think this'll be a good start for me. Who knows? Perhaps something will spark an idea and nudge me ahead with working on my main story, which is at about 13 chapters as of now, and who knows how many words? Feel free to comment on anything, though like I said before, I'm not literary master! I just enjoy writing here and there.

Table of Contents
1. Intro
2. Vionelle synopsis and list of the Families
3. Cast of Characters
4. Drabble list
5. Let the fun begin! :)

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM

Vionelle - Brief Synopsis
Vionelle is a prequel novel to the first thing I ever seriously wrote - a novella titled "The Key to the City." Set many generations before, it tells the story about the Ten Founding Families of Vionelle, each of which possesses a different ability, supernaturally bestowed upon them by the city of Vionelle itself and passed down through their bloodlines. It's their inheritance. Ruthless, power-hungry, prince Lawrence Viomande hears about the rumored gifts when he is young and devotes much of his time away at University to studying them and determining that they aren't mere stories, but rather true. He is determined to find a way to be privy to that power himself, even if it means that he destroys anyone who gets in his way.

-----------------

The 10 Founding Families and their abilities
1. Salaise - These men and women were gifted with supreme wisdom and intelligence. However, they fled Viomande during the reign of Lawrence Viomande, and were soon scattered across the land. The Salaise name is almost impossible to find now, though Salaise blood runs through many, unbeknownst to most.

2. Moreigh - This family was charged with defending the city at all costs. The eldest Moreigh in the founding family was a talented fighter. His fierce sense of loyalty set him apart from the others. To this day, the Family Moreigh is the strongest in power, though they pay the heaviest price, as they cannot physically leave the city, but are bound to it.

3. Arden - The Ardens are skilled in all things musical. They have the ability to persuade through their music. This is the one family not hunted by Lawrence Viomande, for he drew comfort from them. However, their persuasions for the lives of the other families failed.

4. Fronte - The gift bestowed upon the Frontes was that of tremendous physical strength and longevity. However, through the generations, they lost focus and soon found themselves exploited in exhibitions and wars.

5. Palisade - The most talented artists have come from the Family Palisade. They put so much emotion into their art that, like the Ardens, the can influence others. They were imprisoned by Lawrence Viomande, but were spared.

6. Gardner - Legend has it that Gardner was not their original name, but was adopted in all the records once their powers were assigned. They had the ability to make all things grow. They cultivated a garden in the underground. However, a family fall-out resulted in the slaughter of the entire family during the reign of Lawrence Viomande. The Family Gardner is now extinct.

7. Pepper - The great architecture of Vionelle, both the underground and the new city, was built by the Family Pepper. Their magic involves the buildings and spells associated with them, including lock, unlock, move, boulder, etc.

8. Redmon - This family was granted the gift of healing and skill in the medical arts. Most of the physicians in Vionelle have Redmon blood in them. However, one generation of Redmons abused their power and mysteriously found it lessening as generations passed.

9. Coulter - The Family Coulter was given the ability to dream or foresee what will occur. Many people believe the prophet, Delaise, was descended from the Coulter line. He is known for his seeing abilities. The Coulter name is virtually extinct as well, though the present day Moreighs share Coulter blood.

10. Spokane - These men and women are the master metallurgists, artisans, and weapon forgers in the land. The strongest, and most of the blades used by both the Defenders and the Knights, were created by the Spokane.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 PM

The Main Characters
1. Evalie Palisade - oldest daughter in the main Palisade line, which is a family of artists. She's popular and vivacious and initially finds herself caught between two men - Cayden Coulter and Ryan Moreigh. Her life of comfort comes to an end when Lawrence terrorizes the Families. She makes the decision to help with the underground habitat and becomes the first of any of the Families to marry outside her own Family line (marriage in the Families typically took place with distant relatives of the same name in order to keep the abilities "pure." This was one of many traditions that came to an end during that time).

2. Tani Palisade - middle daughter in the main Palisade line, a quiet and meek woman who is seen by Lawrence as weak and would be an easy target to control. He ruins her reputation and forces her to marry him, thinking that he could acquire the abilites through her. When he learns the truth, her life goes from bad to worse.

3. Jacob Palisade - youngest son of the main Palisade line. He specializes in glassmaking and is fiercely protective of his sisters, especially sweet Tani. He's young and hotheaded and goes against his father's warnings and joins a group of rebels, intending to overthrow Lawrence. Let's just say...this doesn't exactly happen.

4. Cayden Coulter - one of the two young men vying for Evalie's affections and the one that ultimately wins them. He's the eldest son in the main Coulter line, which is a family of prophets and dreamers. However, while all his young cousins are starting to get the visions and dreams, he sees nothing. His parents encourage him, saying that he's simply a late bloomer, but this does not sit well with him. He does end up becoming the greatest prophet Vionelle has ever known, sharing his work secretly under the name, Delaise. Cayden and Ryan can't stand each other.

5. Ryan Moreigh - the other of the two men vying for Evalie's affections and the ultimate loser. He's the middle child of the main Moreigh line, but is kind of a slacker/black sheep. He takes nothing seriously, always making jokes which rub his peers the wrong way. He figures since he's not the eldest, he doesn't really have a part to play in things. After Evalie's rejection, he begins to become close with Rosanna Redmon. After her execution, his personality does a 180 and all jokes are gone. He's serious and devotes his life to protecting Vionelle and its people.

6. Rosanna Redmon - eldest daughter of the Redmon line, which is a family of healers. After the assassination of the king, she and her father are called in to heal, but are unable to since he is too fargone. Lawrence arrests them for his murder and they are thrown in the holding. Lawrence interrogates Rosanna about where the abilities come from and when he discovers what he doesn't want to hear, out of retaliation, he sentences her, her father, and two others who have been falsely arrested, to execution. They are the first martyrs of Vionelle.

7. Lawrence Viomande - evil prince-turned-king after he has his father assassinated. He's obsessed with acquiring the abilities of the Ten Families and this leads to the city's destruction. With the Families killed or in hiding, the city begins to crumble and he continues to neglect the things he should be doing while he feeds his obsession for blood. Unfortunately, he doesn't get what's coming to him until many, many years later.

-----------------

Minor Characters who will probably show up in these drabbles
1. Nathaniel Moreigh - Ryan's older brother, the eldest in the Moreigh line. He's condescending to his brother, but ends up with a respect for him, though the two never truly click. He comes to love Tani after she is rescued from Lawrence and brought to the underground. However, she respects her wedding vows, though there's no love there. She won't allow herself to get close to Nathaniel until death does her and Lawrence apart. Nathaniel does pretty much raise her son, Malon.

2. Malon (Viomande) Moreigh - son of Lawrence and Tani Viomande. Tani is rescued from Lawrence when she is a few months pregnant, so Lawrence is never aware that he has a son. Malon's raised in the underground and returns many years later in a final showdown with his real father. He takes the name of Moreigh, with respect for Nathaniel, who helps raise him.

3. David Gardner - sullen son in the Gardner line, which is a family who can make anything grow. He develops a sort-of friendship with royal helpmate, Clara, but his emo feelings lead to him being manipulated by Lawrence and eventually betraying his entire family (which leads to their slaughter)

4. Clara - helpmate to Queen Gwendolyn, Lawrence's mother. She tries to initiate a friendship with David, though it might never really be called that. She pities the members of the Families, but at the same time, fears and is taken in by Lawrence's charisma.

5. Karlia Gardner - David's oldest sister. She helps with establishing the underground gardens.

6. Joseph Redmon - father of Rosanna, leader of the Redmon line. He's falsely accused of assassinating the king and is one of the first of the Families executed.

7. Damia & Ruth Salaise - Twin sisters in the Salaise line, which is a family of extreme intellect.

8. Tavis & Darrin Fronte - brothers in the Fronte line, a family known for great strength and longevity - these two are the two others falsely arrested and executed alongside Joseph and Rosanna.

9. Maxwell Coulter, Robert Moreigh, Ivan Salaise, George Palisade - leaders in their respective family lines and ultimately, the masterminds behind the underground habitat.

10. Philomena (Philo) Redmon - Rosanna's young cousin, Joseph's niece. She's not of the main Redmon line, but takes a prominent role in healing and medicine in the underground, stepping into the roles Joseph and Rosanna would have filled had they not been executed. Develops feelings for Ryan Moreigh, as her cousin did, but they are not reciprocated.

-----------------

And probably more on the way! As the story continues, Nathaniel and Malon will have a much more major role.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-29-2007, 07:44 PM

Drabble List, as taken from the LJ art community, MyOCs100. Will bold them and link directly to the post as I do them!

1. Morning
2. Noon - Tani, Nathaniel
3. Afternoon
4. Twilight
5. Midnight
6. Winter - Rosanna, Ryan
7. Spring
8. Summer
9. Autumn
10. Seasons
11. Minutes
12. Hours
13. Days
14. Months
15. Years
16. Red
17. Orange
18. Yellow
19. Green
20. Blue
21. Violet
22. Pink
23. Black
24. White
25. Gray
26. Rainbow
27. Colorless
28. Too big
29. Too small - Ryan, Nathaniel, Evalie
30. Just right
31. Fire
32. Water
33. Wood
34. Metal
35. Earth
36. Air
37. Sun - Evalie, George, Cayden
38. Moon
39. Stars
40. Planet
41. Sunshine
42. Clouds
43. Rain - Jacob, Tani
44. Lightning
45. Snow
46. Laughter
47. Love
48. Tears
49. Fury
50. Despair
51. Smiles - Evalie, Tani
52. Determination
53. Content
54. Hello
55. Good-bye
56. Breakfast
57. Lunch
58. Dinner
59. Tea
60. Snack
61. Sight
62. Sound
63. Scent
64. Touch
65. Taste
66. Past
67. Present
68. Future
69. Forever
70. Never
71. Bedroom
72. Kitchen
73. Garden
74. Bath
75. Balcony
76. Promises
77. Regrets
78. Hopes
79. Dreams
80. Thoughts
81. Boy
82. Girl - Clara, Lawrence
83. Man
84. Woman
85. People
86. Friends
87. Teammates
88. Lovers
89. Rivals
90. Enemies
91. Prophecies
92. Destinies
93. Healing - Nathaniel, Ryan, Rosanna, Philo
94. Beauty
95. Betrayal
96. Growing
97. Intelligence
98. Skill
99. Waiting - Nathaniel, Tani, Malon
100. Innocence

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 PM

Drabble #37 - Sun
Characters: Evalie Palisade, George Palisade, Cayden Coulter
Scenario: Cayden and Evalie are two of the first people who settle the underground with the intent of preparing it for the others who are to come.

---------

Evalie rested her forehead against the cool plate of glass as she stared out her window, determined to commit every detail of the sky to her memory. Silently, she mouthed the names of each of the discernible colors that were painting the heavens that morning. Ochre. Vermillion. A touch of the palest pink. How many times had she taken the beauty of the sky for granted? How many times had she walked outside, never even thinking of simply looking up? And how many times would she look back and regret that? She watched as a few nevry birds flew by and imagined that she were one of them, soaring so high that she could actually touch a cloud.

A knock sounded at her door, interrupting her reverie. She turned her head as the door opened to reveal a tall, blonde, bearded man on the other side. She knew what he would say.

"Eva? Cayden's here. He's ready." George Palisade stepped into the room and surveyed his eldest daughter. At that moment, she looked both older than her 19 years and yet, as vulnerable as a young child. She had never been able to hide her feelings from him. "Evalie, are you all right with this?"

Evalie stood and regained her composure as she attempted to gather the belongings she had packed the night before. "Of course I am," she assured the man.

"You don't have to go if you don't want to."

"I want to do this," she said resolutely. "The underground is going to be the only chance for some of us to survive." She thought of her friend, Ryan, supernaturally bound to the city and unable to flee what was coming like some of the others had chosen to do. "We're going to be down there for a long time. We're going to need beauty there."

George smiled at his daughter, pride swelling within in his chest. He knew that the vast underground habitat they were creating would be nothing more than a prison of sorts. It had been Evalie's idea that the Palisade family use their gifts to bring life to the stone walls deep in the earth in the attempts of turning it into a home.

"Besides," she continued, "even if I choose not to go now, within a year's time, I'll be there anyhow. At least this way, I can play my part and I can be with Cayden." She smiled shyly. "I'm just going to miss--" her voice trailed off as she looked to her window again.

"I know, honey" George said. "I know." He stepped back into the hallway and grabbed a large, flat object, draped in cloth. Evalie recognized it immediately as a painting. She lifted an eyebrow in question, but George shook his head. "Not until you get down there. You'll know what to do with it. Let me help you with your things."

--------

"This is going to be something!" Cayden Coulter exclaimed as he placed his hand on the stone wall in the basement of the Meade Winery. He brushed his straight, dark hair out of his eyes as he concentrated on the simple unlock spell Bryce Pepper had taught him. Evalie felt the knot in her stomach growing, but it was impossible not to smile as the normally serious young man spoke. There was such a spark in his eyes. Standing behind the young pair, George felt Cayden's excitement as well. A click sounded and the wall began to move, revealing a long flight of stairs. Cayden picked up his belongings and bounded forward.

"This is just one of about fifteen different entrances. Of course, only people who are of the Families will be able to unlock the doors or even find them in the first place." He set his bags down and jogged back up the stairs, helping Evalie with her things. He was still curious about the painting George was carrying. Setting her bags down next to his, Cayden waved his arm. "This is going to be one of the great halls. We'll probably set up some sort of dining area in here. The living quarters are going to be down that way," he pointed to a corridor on the right where a few people were walking around. "There are several partitioned areas on the other side that will be divided among each of the Families so they can continue with their craft. We'll be setting up some schools over there too." He turned around to face the young woman he hoped to someday wed.

Evalie looked to her father and he swept her up in a tight embrace. "We'll be down here regularly and probably within a few months, will be joining you." George released her and handed her the painting, smiling. "Go on. I've been working on it the last few days. It's my first contribution to this place and my gift to you."

Evalie gently removed the cloth and her eyes welled up with tears as she looked at what her father had done. There, on the canvas, was the most beautifully painted skyscape she had ever seen. It was the view from the west window in George's private studio. The sky was a rainbow of colors and a brilliant sun peeked out from behind the low clouds, which were being tickled by the nightflower trees. There was such power in her father's painting that Evalie could actually feel the warmth of the sun on her skin, despite being separated from it by a vast space and several meters of stone.

"This way, no matter how long we're down here, we'll never be without the sun."

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-05-2007, 09:12 PM

Drabble #6 - Winter
Characters: Rosanna Redmon, Ryan Moreigh
Scenario: Rosanna and Ryan have known each other since they were children, but never really got along - he always saw her as stuck-up and prissy and she always saw him as annoying as anything! But in the last few weeks, things have started to change between the two of them. But of course, change doesn't happen instantly!

-----------
She wasn't sure if she were simply tired from being awoken so early that morning to assist in the delivery of the new Arden baby or if she were simply in a mood, but trudging home through the snow, lugging around her medicine bag, Rosanna Redmon did not want to be disturbed by anyone. Especially not Ryan Moreigh!

She saw him walking toward her out of the corner of her eye and she picked up her pace, pretending not to see him. Unfortunately, she couldn't keep up the pretense when he jogged to her side and then stepped in front of her. "Well hello there, milady," he bowed galantly with a twinkle in his merry green eyes.

Rosanna's lips curled up in a polite, but forced smile. "Hello." She stepped to the side in the attempt to pass him, but he stepped with her and continued to block her path. Sighing, she said, "If you don't mind, Ryan, I'm not really in the mood."

"What? The mood for what? I'm sorry, I must have missed something. One day we're friends and the next, you're snubbing me? I'd say you definitely were," Ryan laughed. "In a mood, that is. A bad mood." Ignoring the look of growing irritation on her face, he stepped back and spread his arms wide, catching tiny snowflakes in his hand. "How can you be sour on a day like this? It's beautiful!"

"It's cold," she corrected. "And I'm tired." She whipped around him, purposefully allowing her medicine bag to crash into his arm.

Ryan groaned in frustration with this young woman he could care so much for if she'd only let him. He called after her, "I swear by the heavens you're not an old woman, Rosanna, and yet if a man were blind, he'd mistake you for one!"

She stopped and whirled around, eyes flashing. "Some of us have responsibilities. And because of those responsibilities, sometimes we wear out! We're actually doing something for this society instead of just lumbering along without any regard or care for anyone else. Perhaps if you knew what that was like and if you weren't so lazy, you wouldn't be so quick to insult me!"

Ryan folded his arms across his chest and nodded. "Perhaps. It must be nice to have responsibilites. It must be nice being the eldest and not always having to ask if there's any way you might be useful. After hearing not to fret about it enough times, you become bored and stop trying. But please tell me more about how it feels to make your parents proud. Please do because I have little experience in that area!"

Rosanna studied his face, her own expression softening as she began to remember why, in the last few weeks, she began to think of Ryan Moreigh more and more throughout the day. There was substance beneath his carefree exterior. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said what I did. I'm sure you make your father proud," she said, chagrinned, laying her hand on his arm.

Suddenly uncomfortable with the way things were heading, Ryan quickly raised his defenses again as he flashed a smile and pulled away. "Of course I do. But it certainly knocked you off your highhorse, didn't it now?" He leaned toward her until his face was inches from hers. She drew in a breath, suddenly nervous and a little bit confused. "Learn to loosen your britches. You'll find life so much more comfortable." With a swift flick of his hand, he lightly tapped her on the nose.

Rosanna blinked in surprise as he retreated with a wave. She realized she had been holding her breath and quickly let it out as she collected herself. "Ryan Moreigh!" she exclaimed indignantly as she dropped her medicine bag and balled her hands into fists. He kept walking, but she could see the corners of his mouth raised into a wide grin. She looked around and immediately knelt to the ground. There was only one thing to do. "I'll show you whose britches are loose!" she muttered as she packed the snow firmly into the palm of her hand.

WHACK!

Ryan was amazed at her aim. He turned around, raising his hand to the back of his head where the snowball had hit. He liked what he saw standing before him. The haughtiness on Rosanna's face had been replaced with something else. Playfulness.

"Would an old woman with tight britches do that?" she challenged him.

"No more than a blind man would do this!" he scooped up his own snowball and charged her, causing her to let out a shriek.

A few spectators would talk later on about the young man and woman frolicking in the snow like children. About how yet again, Ryan Moreigh seemed to chip another piece off Rosanna's shell. As the two laid side by side in the snow, both breathing heavily from the strength they exerted in their little war, Rosanna turned to face her friend. "I'm sorry," she said again.

Ryan continued to stare at the sky. He stuck out his tongue and caught a snowflake. "You don't need to be."

"But I was in the wrong. I was in a bad mood and you just happened to be the victim of it."

The two remained in silence for a few moments before Ryan spoke up. "You're true to your name."

"How so?"

"A somewhat thorny exterior, but once you can get past it without being pricked too badly, you're perfect. You're a rose."

"Hardly!" she scoffed.

You are to me...he thought.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-14-2007, 03:30 AM

Drabble #99 - Waiting
Characters: Nathaniel Moreigh, Tani Palisade-Viomande, Malon Viomande
Scenario: Nathaniel has loved Tani for years since she was rescued from King Lawrence and taken into the Underground and even helped her raise her son, Malon. But she won't allow herself to fully love him...yet.

-----------

Nathaniel walked into the great hall that morning with a purpose in his steps. He quickly scanned the room until his eyes rested on a beautiful young woman dressed from head to toe in green, her golden hair bound in a braid at the nape of her neck. She clutched a pad of paper in one hand and a piece of charcoal in the other. She was laughing at the young, dark haired boy standing in front of her. How like his father he looked, Nathaniel mused. And yet, there was no question, he had his mother's eyes.

Tani's face was radiant when Nathaniel caught her eye. She was very pale, due to the lack of sunlight caused by living in the Underground for so many years and yet, she had not seemed to have aged as much as some of the others had. Perhaps it was Malon who helped her retain such youth.

"Nat!" the boy exclaimed happily as Nathaniel approached.

"Why don't you go find Liana?" Tani suggested to her son. The boy's face fell at the prospect of his 4 year old cousin following him around, but he nodded and ran off. Tani smiled after him. "Malon was just telling me about his lessons this morning," she said, looking up at Nathaniel from where she was sitting. "He's so excited to have been moved into your class."

"Well, he's got an aptitude for swordsmanship," Nathaniel seated himself at Tani's side. "You'd think he were a Moreigh."

"Lawrence was always talented with the sword," she said darkly. "It's no wonder Malon's showing the same abilities. I just still don't know if I'm comfortable with him taking up that craft."

"It's an important skill to have. But I do instill in each one of my students that the sword is only to be used for protection. He won't become another Lawrence. That, I can promise you. He's a good kid."

"Thanks to you," Tani replied. "You've been like a father to him and you can't know what that means to me."

"Actually, that's what I wanted to talk to you about."

"Malon?"

"Well, it involves him, but moreso, it's about you and me."

"Nathaniel..."

Nathaniel held up his hand. "Just hear me out. If I don't say this now, I'll regret it. Besides, it's probably not something you don't already know."

Tani interrupted him, placing her delicate hand on his arm. "I know what you're going to say. But you have to understand--"

Nathaniel shook his head. "Me first," he insisted. Tani conceded with a small sigh, her whole being filling with regret as Nathaniel continued. "When we were growing up, I confess I never really paid attention to you. I'd hear Ryan speaking so much about Evalie that I never really gave another thought to any of the rest of you Palisades."

"A common reaction," Tani laughed.

"But that day we rescued you and Eva from the garden and brought you here...I can't explain what happened. But it was as if I were seeing you for the first time. And when you revealed you would be having a child, I just wanted to take care of you. Then when Malon came and you and I started spending more time together, I just..." he shook his head, unable to clearly voice his thoughts. "My affections for Malon aren't about you, Tani. I love him as if he were my own son. But I've come to really love you too and I know you feel something for me as well. I want us to be a family."

"Nathaniel, I'm married," Tani said, her voice very small. "I can't change that and so I can't love you in that way. My vows are binding."

The man stood up, agitated. "Tani, you've not seen Lawrence in eight years! You're never returning to him. You don't love him. You never have. You were coerced into a marriage with him and I'd say he abolished your vows the day he declared war on all the Families. No, let me correct that. Before you ever wed him! And I daresay he's not remained devoted to you all these years."

"What he's done with those vows he took, he'll have to answer for. But I choose to honor what I spoke." She looked down, tears filling her eyes. "I know you can't understand that. Believe me, no one does. I've been told time and again that I'm being foolish. But I can't and I won't change my decision."

Nathaniel stared at Tani. Her soft-spokenness often led people to mistakenly believe her to be weak-minded. Indeed, King Lawrence had been one of those people, believing her to be someone easily controlled. But all the Palisades were stubborn, Tani included. There was not another family more passionate about their convictions. And when she decided something, nothing could persuade her otherwise. He folded his arms over his chest. "Then I'll wait. Til death parts you and him. And I'll pray that it's his death that will do the parting."

"You may be waiting a lifetime."

Nathaniel nodded and sat down again, his face intent. "Maybe so. Would it be in vain?"

Tani looked into his hazel eyes, understanding what he was truly asking. Will you love me then? She shook her head and replied, "No. It wouldn't be in vain." She wanted to answer his silent question, though. No, I already do.

Joy exploded in Nathaniel's chest, though alongside it, he felt a new frustration. She loved him! He took her hand in his own. "Then wait, I shall. Even if it's an entire lifetime."

But it wouldn't be a lifetime that he'd have to wait. It would be fifteen more years...

Emperial
Unknown Empress

Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 AM

I have to say, your "drabbles" totally put mine to shame. I especially love Sun, it's so moving! And Ryan and Rosanna's interaction is just truly great. I want to illustrate that at some point if I can ever find the time!

I hunger for more of your wonderful writing! <3

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-18-2007, 08:06 PM

Oh wow, someone read these? lol. Thank you so much - my writing's so rough, but I enjoy trying to make stuff up! I need to do some more.

And it's great seeing you here on Mene! Are you still over on Gaia too? Will have to read your drabble thread too!

Emperial
Unknown Empress

Old 04-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Yep, still on Gaia, just... liking playing here, too!

Prettymuch all I do on Gaia is Breedables RP anyway, so Mene is fulfilling my needs for everything that's not a Breedable. :) Besides, without my computer still I have so much free time! I can't do my Gaia commissions or my feien because I don't have all my files and my programs and my tablet... So instead I'm writing drabbles and working on art that's completely different from my Gaia stuff.

Anyway, I just don't care about Gaia gold any more. I don't like the way the market there's gone. I'm much happier with the market here! And just the whole potential for the place! And all the hair colors and how easy it is to change my avatar! It feels like on Gaia everything is about what you can't do -- you can't change your avatar's gender easily, or hairstyle, and everything is about the gold... Whereas here, it's more about what you -can- do!

Besides, I like getting in on the ground floor. ^^

And your writing is so not rough, I really am enjoying it! I will stalk your thread. :) I think these drabble themes things are tons of fun so far. Especially since I tossed most of the standard rules (pick a character or two and stick with it) out the window! It's just a nice exercise to use characters I otherwise have no purpose for but still love, and write whatever the heck comes to mind without it having to be a part of something else.

I'm rambling in your thread. XD I'll go now!

Jitsumi1221
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via MSN to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via Yahoo to Jitsumi1221

Old 04-20-2007, 05:59 AM

oh lovely *claps* more stories! more drabbles! these were so lovely to read *excited*

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 AM

Oh thank you! And I swear I'm going to get to reading in yours. Was working on a cg all evening and it took longer than I thought it would!

The next one I'm writing is actually going to be three...I'll have to figure out which categories I can use for them. But it's going to be the same related scene, giving different POVs and information with each writing. I think I'll do the first where you have the least amount of info, concentrating on one set of characters, the second where you get a little more and concentrating on another, and the third where it brings it all together, concentrating on the final party involved. :) It's kind of a pivotal scene in my story - a scene that I've not quite gotten to yet, but it could lay the groundwork for when I do!

If I did it all as one drabble, it'd be way too long! So I'm killing three birds with one stone. Hopefully I'll get that written tomorrow. Must formulate it tonight in my brain as I fall asleep.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-21-2007, 07:24 AM

OK, I didn't get the one I had planned to write, written. But it's coming soon! In the meantime, here's the one that came out of me tonight!

Drabble #29 - Too small
Characters: Ryan Moreigh, Nathaniel Moreigh, Evalie Palisade
Scenario: They never told Ryan why he couldn't venture outside Vionelle's city limits, so he learned the reason the hard way...

----------

The city felt too small for Ryan sometimes. He wanted to explore the world just as he read about others doing. He wanted to see the exotic birds that were said to nest in the lorro trees of May Douvre or board one of the grand sailing ships in the harbors of Sancre. Instead, he'd been confined inside the walls of Vionelle his entire life. It wasn't a bad city, a dirty city, or even a boring city! But it still felt small to the boy who dreamed big.

"Why can't we go past the walls?" he asked his older brother, Nathaniel, that fateful day.

"We just can't," was his response.

"But why not?" Ryan persisted. Cayden had taken Evalie to the river that flowed just outside the city limits and Ryan had burned with jealousy the entire morning because his father had not allowed him to go along with them. It was bad enough that he had to share Evalie with such a pain. But it was even worse not knowing what the two of them did or said - not seeing what they saw, nor laughing at what they laughed at. But then he remembered that his rival wasn't one for laughing or even cracking a smile much. Imagining that someone as vivacious as Evalie must be bored out of her mind with only Cayden for company made Ryan feel a little better.

Nathaniel rolled his eyes at his annoying little brother and said, "You'll find out when you're older." It was too complicated to explain and he didn't have the patience to spell it all out. Ryan kept pestering him until, exasperated, Nathaniel walloped him on the side of the head and managed to escape from his company.

Irritated and now with a tender spot just above his left ear, Ryan made his way to the city's northern gate where three of the King's guards, charged with monitoring the comings and goings of people in Vionelle, were sitting at a makeshift table, playing a card game. They barely acknowledged the boy, so engrossed were they in their game.

Ryan stood before the open gate and gazed out into the countryside where he saw the river meandering along toward a distant copse of trees. I'll rescue you, Evalie! he thought, puffing his chest up a little. No one should have to spend a whole day alone with Cayden Coulter! He took a step forward and his heart fluttered. Stepping back, he took a deep breath and laughed, uneasily. What was wrong? Was he nervous about disobeying his father? Afterall, he disobeyed him all the time, regardless of what the repercussions might be! He even did so only hours before and it wasn't a big issue. So why would this be any different? His father didn't have to know. No one but the guards did. And just by glancing at them, he knew they couldn't care less.

He bounded through the gate and his heart started beating faster again. His head pounded to the rhythm of his heartbeat and the spot where Nathaniel had hit him, pulsed painfully. Still, he pressed forward. About ten feet from Vionelle's walls, Ryan's breath grew labored and he fell to the ground, wheezing. What was happening? A wave of nausea swept through his body and he curled up in a ball, clutching his stomach, still gasping for air. Relief found him within seconds, however, when all went black.

-----

Ryan's eyelids fluttered open and the first face he saw was that of a pretty young girl, fair skinned, blonde haired, and blue eyed. She looked worried and that made him feel good. "Evalie," he whispered. "I was just coming to find you."

"You idiot!"

Ryan winced at the sharp tone in his brother's voice. He turned his head and saw Nathaniel, a huge scowl on his face. "Why're you yelling at me?" he asked, weakly.

"Because you're stupid!" Nathaniel exclaimed. Evalie knew it'd be best to leave the two brothers alone, so she squeezed Ryan's hand and quickly took her leave. Nathaniel waited until she was gone until he turned his attention back to his little brother. "How many times have you been told not to go past the city walls?"

Ryan shrugged. "I didn't think it'd be that big of a deal."

"If Evalie and Cayden hadn't found you lying there and hadn't dragged you back to town when they did, you would have d--" He glanced over his shoulder and lowered his voice. "You would have died!"

Ryan propped himself up on his elbows. He realized they were just inside the city walls, not far from where the guards sat, still playing their game. "I don't understand."

"Look," Nathaniel closed his eyes and sighed. "You can't leave. None of us can." He opened his eyes and Ryan saw the expression on his face shift from one of annoyance to something else entirely...regret, perhaps?

"Who?"

"Us. You. Me. Any of the Moreighs."

"What do you mean?" Ryan frowned.

Nathaniel lowered his voice even more until it was barely audible, ensuring that no one would overhear what he had to say. "We can't physically leave Vionelle. We try, we die." Ryan stared at his brother as what felt like a heavy weight descended over him. He studied Nathaniel's face, his own clouded with confusion and Nathaniel continued, "Long ago, as you know, our ancestors were granted power from the city and each Family was gifted."

"Yes," Ryan nodded. That was the Ten Families' greatest secret.

"And you know the Moreighs received a mix of all the abilities granted to the other Families. We were given the most power, but at the cost of being bound to the city so we could always watch over it and protect it. Our gift is our chain. Ryan, Vionelle gives us life. It's our sustainance. You leave the city, you leave the life source and you die. It doesn't affect any of the others. Just us." He stood up and cleared his throat. "You may be annoying as anything, but...I don't know what I'd do if that happened to you." Ryan waited for him to laugh and tell him it was all a joke, but the laughter never came. Instead, his brother shrugged and said, "Just don't be stupid again," before he turned and walked away. Ryan watched him retreat and then slowly turned his gaze toward the countryside beyond the open gate where blankets of blue flowers waved in the breeze. They were only a few yards away and yet, apparently, they were forever out of reach. Did this mean he'd never feel the cool water of that nearby river? That he'd never see those birds or ships or anything he read about in all the storybooks?

He still couldn't fully comprehend the Moreigh curse, but he did know one thing: the city had suddenly gotten even smaller.

Temmon
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 AM

Is it okay if I actually criticize? ^^"

Continuing, now. Your writing has some very pretty bits, but it also has some kinda prosaic parts, especially the dialogue, although these are rough. I admire your ability to create such a consistent world.

#37 started with that really really nice scene. I could practically see it even though I was just kind of skimming. Other than that, it just kinda seemed like exposition.

#6 was very, very sweet, but really really predictable. xD

#99 was another really sweet scene. <33333

xD You have the Too small drabble listed as number #37 when it should be #29. But I enjoyed that one the most. ^^ It just seemed like it flowed the best, and I don't know. xD I could empathize with Ryan, not ever being able to leave his city, very easily, which is very uncommon for me.

I look forward to reading more of these, and I'll check out this thread periodically. <33

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-22-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks, Temmon! Yeah, like I said, I'm no writing master and I've not written in literally years (I think it's been about 2 years since I last touched my story), so I'm trying to get back into it and get my chops back. I've always struggled with flow. Maybe the last one flowed the best because it's the newest one I've done and the first few are always the most rocky? lol...nah, I bet ones to come will continue to be rocky too! That last one still had plenty of rocky bits throughout too. :)

One reason I'm doing this, though, besides the fact that it's helping me get reacquainted with these guys and hopefully cause me to want to continue on their story again, is that I hope that by the time I've completed this list, I can have a marked improvement in my writing. So these critiques are greatly appreciated and I'm definitely going to work on my flow, dialogue, and making it all less prosaic and exposition-like. Rereading the few I've written here, I totally see what you're saying. There are many rough spots especially in the dialogue where things sound wooden. And dialogue's what I love best in stories! But instead of editting (maybe I will down the road), I think I'm going to leave them as they are so I can compare my later attempts at writing.

I just appreciate someone actually reading these things!

Temmon
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-22-2007, 03:51 PM

You were so nice about reading all the entries for the Yume's VDay contest, I wanted to do the same for you. ^^

And I'm glad you don't mind actual criticism rather than "lol that's good!". ^^"

I think that they're good though. :3 They certainly weren't a drag to read, just... about on par with most other stuff that I've read online. >.< Including my own. And if that's what your rough writing sounds like, then you can do a lot better. ^^

Definitely leave them how they are. You don't know where you're going if you don't know where you came from, right? xD

Good luck getting back into writing, and I'll be checking back periodically. ~.^

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-22-2007, 06:59 PM

Well that's nice of you! I certainly don't expect that! I do want to read/comment more here in the lit section. Especially since reading the V-Day stories was so much fun.

"lol that's good!" is always fun to get. But as long as the criticisms aren't, "Don't quit your day job - you SUCK!" then I'm fine with it. Heh heh. Plus, it's nice to be told where you could focus your attentions on trying to improve, while at the same time receiving encouragement. Luckily, I'm not one of those people who have a goal to publish someday. I just enjoy making up stories. But at the same time, the perfectionist in me makes me want to still try to improve.

Temmon
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM

I read/reviewed a little bit in the lit section when I first got on Mene, but not recently. >.<

:3 I don't want to publish either, but I like writing, sometimes. ^^

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-04-2007, 06:37 AM

Drabble #82 - Girl
Characters: Clara, Lawrence Viomande
Scenario: King Lawrence convinces one of his young helpmates to set up a meeting between himself and her friend, David. She, of course, agrees, for a helpmate cannot disobey her king. Little does she know what that meeting will result in...

----------

"Excuse me. Clara, King Viomande has requested to see you."

The young helpmate's head shot up in surprise, her long black braid whipping over her shoulder. At once, her knees felt weak and she trembled slightly. Whether it was from fear or exhiliration, she wasn't sure. She put down her sewing and curtsied in compliance as she followed the steward out of the room.

They walked down the long hallway in silence and the steward's heavy footsteps pounded in Clara's ears. A thousand thoughts rushed through her head. What could the king possibly want with me? Have I displeased him somehow? Have I not been working hard enough? Could he have found out about me letting in that Moreigh to see Miss Redmon? She tried not to let fear get the best of her, but she knew the king well. He was not one to betray.

At long last, the steward stopped in front of Lawrence's chambers and pushed the door open. Clara stiffened, knowing it was inappropriate for her to enter the King's chambers alone, but she had no choice. She stepped inside and jumped as the steward closed the door behind her. She immediately sank to her knees and bowed her face to the floor. A helpmate did not approach the King as an equal!

"Clara," the beautiful bass voice rang in the helpmate's ears.

"My king," she replied, her nose still touching the ground.

"Look at me."

Slowly, she raised her head, her eyes still staring at the gold inlays in the tile on the floor.

"Clara, I command you, look at me. With your eyes."

Clara allowed her gaze to travel to where Lawrence casually lounged on a couch, his raven hair waving perfectly over his shoulders. The corners of his lips were raised in an amused smile, but the intensity of his stare was undeniable. "My king," she said again, her voice cracking.

"Are you loyal to me?" Lawrence asked, sitting up, gathering his hair back and binding it with a leather strap.

"Of course!"

"Then you'll answer me anything I ask?"

The young helpmate nodded, a knot forming in her stomach. Please don't ask me about Ryan Moreigh! Please!

"I understand you've been spending a lot of time with one of the Gardner boys lately, haven't you?"

Clara didn't know whether to feel relief or trepidation. She knew of Lawrence's dislike of the Ten Families. But she couldn't lie. He had a way of finding the truth in everything. She nodded. "David."

"That's him," Lawrence smiled, rising to his feet. He approached the helpmate and extended his hand to her. Unsure of herself, she dared not refuse him, so she grasped it and he lifted her to her feet. He leaned close to her and she could feel his breath on her neck. "What's your relationship with him?"

"He's just a friend, my king. Nothing more!" Clara's heart raced due to the proximity at which he stood.

"Can you tell me what he's like?"

"He's...ah...pretty quiet. He doesn't really have any attachments to anyone, even his family."

"Oh?" Lawrence raised an eyebrow. "Why is that?"

Clara shook her head. "He says they don't understand him. He's simply waiting for the chance to go off on his own."

"How did you meet him?"

"By chance," she replied, remembering the day she had spoken to him following a council meeting many months before. "I felt sorry for him because he seemed so unhappy and alone."

"Would you say you're close?"

Clara shook her head and lied, "Not especially." She hoped that Lawrence wouldn't be able to see through her words. In truth, she was quite fond of David and she knew for a fact that she was the only one he felt he could relate to. The two met on a regular basis.

Lawrence stepped behind Clara and reached for her long braid, winding it through his fingers. "Could you arrange a meeting between us?"

"My king?" The helpmate blurted out, confused.

"I'd just like to speak with him. Perhaps find a way of setting up a truce with his family." Lawrence wound Clara's braid around his fist and then playfully released it, letting it fall down her back again.

"But why him?" She heard Lawrence draw in a sharp breath and knew her questioning of his actions had been inappropriate. She immediately fell to her knees and pressed her face to the floor once more. "Forgive me!" she begged.

"Just set up a meeting," he answered, his voice now curt and unfriendly. "Go."

She rose to her feet and curtsied as she turned and rushed out the door. She silently berated herself. Helpmates didn't question the King unless they were tired of seeing the sun each day! His orders were her life and she would obey.

-----

A week later, Clara was carrying a load of laundry down to the basement washroom when she overheard a few of the other helpmates gossiping.

"The entire family! Executed right there in their manor last night!"

"But how?"

"Apparently one of the sons made a deal with King Lawrence. He led him right to them. The king's men moved in, sealed off all exits, and you know the rest."

"What happened to the boy?"

"He was executed too. Lawrence told him there was no greater moral crime than betraying his own family and that he was doing him a kindness by not forcing him to live a lifetime with the blood of his family on his hands."

Clara dropped the laundry and felt her knees give way beneath her. She fell to the floor and cried out.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-04-2007, 09:30 PM

Drabble #43 - Rain
Character: Jacob Palisade, Tani Palisade
Scenario: Jacob wants to make Tani's birthday something she'll never forget. Unfortunately, it doesn't exactly go as he plans.

--------

It was still dark outside when Jacob opened his eyes. Groggily, he sat up and scratched at the back of his head, running his fingers through his blonde hair in the process in the attempt to smooth it down after the night's slumber. He knew Tani was an early riser and if he wanted this morning to go the way he had planned, he couldn't afford to lay in bed any longer.

It was his sister's 17th birthday and he wanted it to be a special one for her. She was the only one who didn't see him as a little kid, but rather as a young man coming into his own. Even Evalie, though he loved her dearly as well, regarded him as silly and full of childish whims. But not Tani. Never Tani.

Well, today was no whim. This would be a day Tani would never forget. Of that, he'd make certain! He rose from his bed and dressed in the clothes he had worn the day before and had casually discarded before going to sleep. Not caring that he was a wrinkled mess, he slipped out his bedroom door, careful to avoid the helpmates who were up extra early, taking care of the morning's duties. He traipsed down the hallway to the back staircase and dashed down the steps, two at a time. At the base of the stairs was a door that led outside to the pastures behind the immense Palisade Manor.

Whistling to himself, Jacob shoved his hands in his pockets. It was quite chilly outside! Though the sun wouldn't come up for few minutes more, Jacob could see the low, dark clouds in the sky and he wrinkled his nose. The last thing he wanted for Tani on her birthday was rain! He jogged to the stables where he found the old, weathered stablehand sweeping one of the stalls.

"Felson!" he called out.

The stablehand looked up and said, "You're up early this morning! It didn't rain on you, did it?" Jacob shook his head and the stablehand gestured outside. "Good timing on your part, then." The boy looked out and saw the clouds open up, the rain falling lightly at first, but quickly increasing in intensity.

"Oh no!" he exclaimed. "Why this morning?" This would mess up everything! Tani wouldn't be able to go for the morning ride she always took and Jacob wouldn't be able to surprise her at their special place with the gift he had had Felson hide away the last three days. "What am I going to do?" Crestfallen, he walked over to the far left stall where the energetic white puppy began to bounce around, yipping its pleasure.

"Why can't you still give her the dog?"

"I can," the boy sighed. "It just won't be the same."

"Maybe not like you planned, but she'll still love him."

Jacob nodded, "I know. I just wanted today to be unforgetable." He picked up the puppy and laughed as the little thing wiggled, desperate to give his face a lick.

Felson walked over to the open doorway of the stables, surveying the sky, and he shook his head. Jacob, still holding the puppy, joined him, silently pleading with the rain to let up.

That's when it happened.

The puppy wriggled free and dashed out the door into the torrent, barking happily. "No!" Jacob cried, chasing it into the rain. The puppy decided it liked this game and it ran in circles, dodging Jacob's every grab. He bounded into a muddy patch and before Jacob realized what had happened, he had skidded into it as well. "Ooof" he grimaced as his feet slid out from underneath him. Throwing his arms out to break his fall, Jacob fell into the wet, sticky mess. The puppy ran to his side and barked with glee. The boy sat back and spread his arms out as he looked down to survey the damage. Mud covered his entire front side. He reached up and wiped his cheek, then pulled his hand away, only to find globs of mud on his fingers.

"Jacob? What are you doing?" a feminine voice exclaimed from a few meters away.

Jacob turned his head to the backdoor of the Palisade Manor where his sweet sister stood, her blue eyes round in amazement. He stood up and smiled goofily, shrugging his shoulders. "Happy birthday?" The dog, sensing exactly who his new master was, immediately bounded toward the girl, causing her to shriek. "Puppy, NO!" Jacob cried, but it was too late.

Thirteen pounds of muddy goodness jumped into Tani's arms, causing her to stagger back. The dog frantically licked at her face and wiggled his paws, pressing mud all over the front of her dress.

"What a disaster!" Jacob muttered angrily to himself. First the rain, then the puppy escaping, then the mud! And now poor Tani was a mess as well! But then he noticed something. She was laughing. Not her usual dainty "Tani" laugh, but a deep, hearty belly laugh. He had never seen her react to anything in this way. She could barely speak, she was so delighted.

"Oh Jacob, I love it! Oh yes, I love you," she hugged the puppy, not caring that she was now covered in mud as well. "I don't think I'll ever forget this moment! Oh, thank you! Thank you so so much!" She ran toward Jacob, ignoring the fact that she was getting drenched in the downpour. She set the puppy down and threw her arms around her brother, tackling him. The two stumbled back right into the mud and with the puppy leaping happily around them, they laughed and laughed until their stomachs hurt.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-28-2007, 08:11 PM

Drabble #93 - Healing
Characters:
Nathaniel Moreigh, Ryan Moreigh, Rosanna Redmon, Philo Redmon
Scenario: Ryan's injured during Tani's rescue, but when he is brought back to the Underground for healing, it brings back lots of painful memories of the woman he loved.

-----

"Make room!" Nathaniel's voice boomed as he and dragged a limping Ryan into the Underground's infirmary. Philo Redmon gasped when she saw the young man's bleeding leg and quickly ran to the cabinets, gathering up bandages and an antiseptic salve to clean the wound. Nathaniel helped his brother into the bed and Ryan grunted in pain. From the doorway, Philo saw Tani and Evalie standing, looking sick with worry. She waved them away. The less people crowding him, the better able she'd be able to treat him.

"What happened?" she asked, pushing a strand of her thick dark brown hair behind her ear. She leaned over Ryan and ripped his pant leg apart so she could get a better look at his leg. She shuddered when she saw the huge gash full of blood. "Oh, Ryan!" she sighed.

Ryan looked at Philo as she sopped up some of the blood. She glanced up and met his gaze, her sweet face full of compassion. And as Ryan stared at her, her face began to transform.

"What did you get yourself into this time?" She pursed her lips playfully and her blue eyes twinkled, her raven curls cascaded down her back. She looked so beautiful! She always did.

"Rosie?"

"Didn't I tell you not to call me that?" Rosanna Redmon's face grew stern, but Ryan knew it was all an act. "Now Ryan," she said. "I'm no swordsman, but it seems to me that one would try to avoid getting run through. Am I right?"

"Dearest Rosie," he replied, laughing at her face when he called her by the nickname. "I'm no physician, but it seems that I merely got gashed, not run through. Am I right?" He shifted his leg and winced at the pain and Rosanna immediately grew serious.

"No-no. Don't move it," she placed her hands on the wound. Ryan tried to protest, not wanting blood to stain her smooth, dainty fingers. She shushed him. "I do this all the time," she said. "Now hold still." As she ran her fingers along his leg, trying to determine just how deep the injury ran, she asked, "Does this hurt?"

Ryan stared at her face. "It's nothing I can't handle." He winced again as she pressed down. "Alright, alright! Yes, it hurts!"

Rosanna smiled down at him. "It won't anymore. It's a clean gash. Just hold still." Ryan opened his mouth, but Rosanna shook her head. "And don't speak."

She placed one hand on the wound and took Ryan's hand in her other, gently caressing it as she closed her eyes. He heard her take a deep breath and his leg began to tingle. Though he didn't wish to take his gaze off of her, a blueish glow caught his eye from underneath the hand she had placed on his leg. He had seen her heal his young cousin many months before, but couldn't even imagine what it would be like to have the healing performed on him. A warm tingling feeling rushed up his leg and flooded his entire body. He gave a tiny gasp and squeezed her hand, which caused her to smile.

"Stop that," she whispered. "I'm trying to concentrate." She squeezed his hand back, however.

He relaxed and allowed the healer to do her work, simply enjoying watching her beautiful face. He sighed in contentment and closed his eyes for a brief second.

When he opened them again, he saw, not Rosanna, but her cousin, Philo, with one hand holding his own and the other on his leg. He wrenched his hand out of hers and stared at her with a look of disappointment. "Philo?"

Puzzled at his reaction and self-conscious to the fact that she had held his hand, she stammered, "D-does that feel better?"

His eyes hardened and he looked away, bitter. The pain must have brought on the delusion. Rosanna was gone, had been gone a long time, and she was never coming back.

"Ryan?"

"I'm fine," he replied through clenched teeth. "I'd just like to rest. Alone," he added in emphasis.

"Oh. OK," the young healer nodded and quickly smoothed some salve over the wound. It would take a few days, but he would be just fine. She stood and wiped his blood off her hands with a towel, hurt filling her eyes at his gruff manner. She couldn't understand what had brought on that reaction. He hadn't always been like that! She saw that Nathaniel was still in the room and the older man shook his head, as if to tell her not to fret about Ryan's behavior. He reached his arm toward her and guided her out of the infirmary with a gently pat on her arm.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-29-2007, 03:03 AM

Drabble #51 - Smiles
Characters: Evalie and Tani Palisade
Scenario: Ryan, Cayden, Nathaniel, and Evalie have just rescued Tani from the clutches of her evil husband, King Lawrence. Upon returning to the underground, Tani pulls her sister away in order to tell her some special news.

----

As the group stumbled into the underground, Tani was immediately whisked away and surrounded by all her old friends and loved ones. She smiled graciously as she was bombarded with questions, hugs, and tears of joy, but she was quite overwhelmed by it all. Her eyes met Evalie's and she issued a silent plea for help.

Evalie took her cue and pushed her way to her sister's side. She grabbed her arm and guided her through the crowd, fending off people and announcing that Tani had been through quite an ordeal and needed to rest. Tani waved an apology to the crowd as they disappeared through the door that led to the living chambers.

Evalie led her sister to her rooms and shut the door, locking it behind her. Tani collapsed on the bed and sighed in relief. "Thank you," she said, turning her head to look at her sister.

"There's no need," Evalie smiled as she pulled her sister to a sitting position and wrapped her arms around her, hugging her tight. "I'm so glad you're finally safe!" She pulled back and looked at Tani, tears filling her eyes. "I tried to come see you so many times, but Lawrence turned me away after the first attempt."

"What happened on the first attempt?"

Evalie shook her head. "Believe me. You don't want to know. Let's just say he must have some sort of soft spot for you. Otherwise, I wouldn't have my head anymore." She reached her hands up and mimicked a strangle and her sister laughed. She grew serious. "Tani, I don't understand. Why did you stop Ryan from killing him? It would have been so easy. The entire guard had been brought to their knees. Our problems would have been over."

"And Ryan's would have just been beginning." Tani rose to her feet and smoothed her navy skirt. "A witnessed assassination of a King...there's no way he would have escaped the consequences. I wasn't about to let that happen to him. No matter how much we would have been rejoicing, that's not a crime that would have gone unpunished." She shifted nervously and turned away from Evalie. She walked toward a tapestry hanging on the wall and ran her fingers along the ornate border. "There's another reason too."

"What is it?" Tani turned around and Evalie could see a great conflict of emotions on her countenance. "Tani?"

Tani took a deep breath and began to speak, her words slow and deliberate. "I didn't want my child's father to die a tyrant. I want him to have a chance to be redeemed somehow. For his sake," she looked down and laid her hand on her slim belly. Evalie's eyes grew wide with surprise.

"You mean--? You're--? Oh Tani!" She rushed to her sister and hugged her again. "Does he know?"

"No," Tani replied. "That's why it was so urgent that I saw you today. I don't want him growing up under Lawrence's guidance. I want him to grow up with integrity and goodness. You won't tell anyone just yet, will you? I know the men are upset with me. They probably wouldn't understand."

"No, they probably wouldn't," Evalie agreed. "But it doesn't matter. Of course, I won't say anything to anyone. I can't believe you're actually here and you're going to have a little one!" Her face glowed with excitement. "Do you need anything?"

Tani laughed. "No, I'm fine!" She turned thoughtful for a minute, however. "Actually, would you mind if I stayed in here for a little while. I can't wait to see everyone, but I am a little tired."

"Of course," Evalie nodded. "I'll hold them off until you're ready to see them."

"Thank you, Eva."

"Welcome home."

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 09-12-2007, 02:59 AM

Drabble #2 - Noon
Characters: Tani Palisade and Nathaniel Moreigh
Scenario: Everyone in the Underground needs to help out since they no longer have helpmates to do the work. Ryan comes up with a chore rotation list and Nathaniel gets stuck on cooking duty. Luckily, Tani's there to help him out.
----

"It was a foolish idea!"

"No it wasn't," the young woman laughed, her blue eyes twinkling. "You were right. We don't have the luxury of relying on helpmates anymore. We have to help ourselves and it wouldn't be fair for all the work to fall onto one or two shoulders! I think a rotation was a brilliant idea."

Nathaniel picked up an egg and shook his head. "I should never have let Ryan make the rotation list. He did this to me on purpose. I swear, Tani, he's going to--"

"He's going to enjoy this fine meal," Tani broke in, finishing his sentence for him. "I told you I'd help. Cooking's a good skill to have." She rolled up her sleeves and watched as the others on cooking duty poured themselves into their assigned task. "Now put that down. You're not going to need it," she reached toward Nathaniel and plucked the egg out of his hand. He inhaled slightly as her soft fingers brushed his, but she didn't seem to notice his reaction. "The first thing we need to do," she continued, "is to figure out how you'd like to season the meat."

"Ah..." he shook his head and shrugged. "What tastes good?"

"I'm happy simply with salt and pepper, personally," Tani replied.

"Then that's what we'll do," Nathaniel grinned at her as she handed him the container of salt.

"Just sprinkle it lightly on. LIGHTLY!" she exclaimed as Nathaniel dumped half the contents of the container onto the slab of meat. "Oh!" She began to laugh.

"Not like that?" Nathaniel raised and eyebrow and joined in with her.

"No, not like that. You're not supposed to coat it!" She made a face as she brushed the salt off, but much of it had already penetrated the meat.

"We'll give that piece to Ryan," Nathaniel said and Tani playfully slapped his arm.

"You're terrible! I tell you what, let me do the seasoning and you can do the actual cooking, alright?"

"You have yourself a deal!"

As Tani delicately sprinkled each slab of meat with a little salt and then some pepper, Nathaniel couldn't help but stare. Her laughter had given her pale cheeks a rosy glow, something that wasn't very common on anyone living in the Underground. He admired her long, tapered fingers and her beautiful silken hair. She reached up and rubbed her forehead with the back of her wrist and he noticed a few bits of salt remained. He was about to reach toward her and brush the salt off when she turned away and walked to the sink to wash her hands. Looking up, she noticed him gazing at her and she blushed. He opened his mouth to say something, but the door to the kitchen burst open and five year old Malon ran in, followed by Ryan.

"Momma!" he exclaimed. "Are you almost finished? I want to show you something!"

"Malon," she knelt down. "I'm helping Nathaniel cook right now."

"But--" the little boy's face fell into a pout.

"Go," Nathaniel insisted. "I can handle it from here."

"Are you sure?" she asked.

He nodded. "I'm sure. And there're plenty of people in here to help me figure things out."

"Oh, okay," Tani said as she removed her apron. "Don't burn the kitchen down now!" she instructed him with a playful grin as she followed her son out of the kitchen.

Nathaniel turned and saw Ryan staring at him, an unreadable expression on his face. "What?" he demanded.

"Nothing," Ryan shrugged and turned to leave the kitchen, but not before Nathaniel caught a glimpse of the knowing smile on Ryan's lips.