`Haru
Useful Idiot
Send a message via MSN to `Haru

Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 PM

I looked through the first page, and didn't see a thread on this book (much to my surprise!).
But if there is one already though, feel free to lock this. As I didn't notice it. @-@

Anyway. I was assigned this book to read in class a couple days ago, & just last night found myself opening it. Only to be completely captivated by it! I was up until 4am, trying to finish it and wound up spazzing with my English teacher over it just this morning.

Has anyone else read it? &&If so what did you think ~ are you excited about the movie next year? <3

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 PM

I've read the trilogy, and really loved the first book. (Not so much the others, but I'll wait until you've read those to talk about them) I loved Katniss's attitude to the whole thing. The whole "I'm here so that my little sister won't be." And then the way she ends the competition. I just love the rebellion she goes through, and the whole concept of the games themselves were genius.

Mika Rose
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-10-2011, 01:22 AM

I actually have the first book in the series, but I haven't read them yet. My friends have been urging me to for months, though, so I definitely plan to read them soon. So far everyone I talk to seems to really enjoy them.

That's awesome that you get to read them for school, by the way. I've never heard of an English class actually getting to read that kind of books as an assignment; where I go to school pretty much all we read are the classics. >.>

`Haru
Useful Idiot

Old 12-10-2011, 04:40 PM

@Mika Rose; Apparently she was making such a stink about how she wanted in the classroom,
that they allowed it if she could fit it in somehow - and she managed. A group of us got the book and everyone else was stuck with classics. XD

&Oh my I so recommend you read it asap - It took me a couple days to open it, and I regretted waiting even that long haha - ;"O

@Carzeebear; I'm kinda behind you then hehe /my apologies for being a slow as a thread starter ;o;
If someone else comes who's read farther, feel free to carry on. I hate spoilers but I brought it on myself. (;

Anyway I heard the sequels weren't as great as the first one. But that's to be expected. I loved Peeta's character most ~

nike13
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 PM

I loved this series, the first book is my favorite of the three but that doesn't mean the other two aren't worth the read. I'll probably see the movie but I'm afraid they're going to have to... I don't know... dumb it down (?) to keep from getting an R rating. Plus, the previews just don't show how I imagined things from the book, but that's usually what happens with book movies. Your mind's imagination is generally better than what is presented in a movie.

IndigoKitsune
Computer Bug

Old 12-19-2011, 05:52 PM

I have been meaning to start reading these books, I have heard that they are similar a manga, called Battle Royale. But sadly I don't have any extra money for ether of them and it might be hard for me to get to the library. But, its good to know that it would be worth spending money on The Hunger Games.

nike13
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 AM

The first book will play like Battle Royale (kids in Colosseum Death Match) but there is more to it...grr don't want to say too much but there's more "what happens outside the arena" than Battle Royale.

Adrastiea
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 AM

The whole series is pretty good, but the first book is certainly the best. It's incredibly well crafted and a pretty quick read. I read it in just a few hours because I couldn't bring myself to put it down. X)
It's definitely one of the better young adult series to come out in the last couple of years and I can't wait for the movie!

IndigoKitsune
Computer Bug

Old 12-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike13 View Post
The first book will play like Battle Royale (kids in Colosseum Death Match) but there is more to it...grr don't want to say too much but there's more "what happens outside the arena" than Battle Royale.
^_^ Ok now I need to make time to go to the library, its been a while since I have read a novel, I love short stories, comic books, and manga too.

Heloise
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-22-2011, 03:23 AM

I love that series. I owned all three books for a year before I read them and I wish I had started earlier. I'm not sure which book I prefer more, the first is defiantly more fast paced but the others are so full of emotion. Now that I have finished them I'm trying to find more books as exciting as they are.

Taivas

Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 AM

I loved this book series, And I'm kind of excited for the movie! It looked like it'd be pretty alright, from the short clip I saw. xD Who knows? I hope you are liking it so far, and I agree that the first is pretty rushed.

Erinmc
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 AM

I lovee the Hunger Games[: I've read the entire series!
Although, for like the first 15 pages, I thought Katniss was a boy. Dumb, right? D:
I'm worried that the movie isn't gonna be as good as the book, but, I guess we'll just have to wait and see[:.

Beliar
*^_^*

Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 AM

I skimmed through the first responses and I have to agree with them. I read them a while back and they were pretty good. Katniss was a very likable character and it was easy to follow along with and it gave you something to think about. I was kind of iffy about the writing style though because it is a lot different than the style I usually read, but it was good to switch it up =)
That is pretty cool that you're reading The Hunger Games for class

YuenGuon
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to YuenGuon

Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 AM

So glad I found this page! I just started reading Catching Fire. I was so addicted to the first book, I couldn't put it down. I finished it in a day. It was so amazing and I loved Katniss.

Not sure how the movie will play out. I hope it's not too bad.

Beliar
*^_^*

Old 01-07-2012, 06:37 PM

@YuenGuon: I want to see that movie so much! I hope it is at least a fraction as good as the books were x3

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 AM

... So I got assigned to read King Lear.

Its a good series. Not a damn idea in the world why an English teacher would assign it for a class tho.

sidrabutterfly
Infinitely odd

Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM

I really liked the series. The first was probably the best because of all the word building. I don't know how I feel about the movie, I don't like the casting, so that might just ruin it for me.

`Haru
Useful Idiot

Old 01-10-2012, 03:45 AM

^ They have Josh Huchenson casted as Peeta, right?
I don't know much about the other characters, except that Katniss' actress was stunning, lol.
but that previous thing alone erks me a bit, )'8

Dystopia : The Hunger Games? The whole theme of the book tied in with a lot of other classics, like prejudism and society and a whole mix of stuff lol. o wwwo Or at least she says it did haha - i don't know to be honest. XD

BathoryErzsebet
Send a message via AIM to BathoryErzsebet

Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 PM

I read all 3 books recently, and I loved them. The first one, especially. I'm anxious to see the first movie in March, but of course movies are never as good as, books so I'm not expecting it to be amazing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinmc View Post
I lovee the Hunger Games[: I've read the entire series!
Although, for like the first 15 pages, I thought Katniss was a boy. Dumb, right? D:
I'm worried that the movie isn't gonna be as good as the book, but, I guess we'll just have to wait and see[:.
Hahaha, I thought Katniss was a boy for the first few pages, too.

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Kamikaze Kendra

Old 01-20-2012, 04:53 AM

I just finished the second book this afternoon... and so far I have this to say about it:
I am really not a fan of the writing style. I just have this prejudice against novels written in first person present tense. I'm not sure why but they get under my skin so much. Simply making it past tense would have upped the quality in my head by a bit. But that's just one of my picky little preferences about literature.

I will say that about half way through the first book I forgot that it was written in a style that I dislike simply because I got so caught up in the story and the action. Oh, and the cliffhanger ending for book two was just... really frustrating. Haha.

YuenGuon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 PM

@Kamikaze: I'm trying to start the second book but I'm not as hooked as I was for the first book. I'm not sure what it is. :/

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 01-20-2012, 07:04 PM

Yeah, the second book isn't really as good as the first one, and it has a lot of parallels to the first as well in terms of content. It doesn't really get exciting until about half-way through. It's worth reading, just not as good. If you developed an attachment to the characters you should definitely keep going because it does really get interesting for them.

YuenGuon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Yeah, I definitely want to read it. I just have to get on that :P I hear that Mockingjay is a little better.

I'm not sure how I feel about the casting. Like, I feel like it's going to grow on me. Even though I know the movie won't be great as the book :P

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 PM

I haven't really payed a lot of attention to the casting and such yet, but as long as the actors can elicit the same emotional responses I had through reading it should be alright. Most book-based films aren't as good as the novel counterpart anyway. Haha.

n o m. fuu

Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM

Well, everyone pretty much stole the words from my mouth but I still had to post anyways. I thoroughly agree that the second and third books weren't as good as the first. I liked the plot twists I did not see coming in the second but the third had me so depressed... And about the casting for the movie: meh. I think they got a very good Katniss but Peeta and Gale could use a little work? But like YuenGuon they'll probably grow on me. I'm also not expecting something fantastic but I'm hoping they'll do the books some justice.
Oh and Team Peeta or Team Gale?