emiko_firecaster
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-27-2010, 05:22 AM

American culture turned it into a loose word, generalizing an idea rather then the actual word it means. i know that in Japanese neko means cat, and kitsune means demon fox. however as i stated earlier, just like so many other words in the japenese language, neko has transformed to mean half human half animal, upon entering the american language.

besides the fact is that though my character is a neko fan she likes kitsunes more because they are so cute to her, second i was only using the term loosely since she doesnt really know yet that miranda is a kitsune

and again since i dont know what to call brandon, i used neko

Kry
Hero Complex

Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM

You're the first person I've seen use the word neko to NOT refer to a cat or cat creature. So I don't know where you're getting this idea that it can be used loosely the word means cat and it will always mean cat. If people don't have a basic understanding of Japanese then they shouldn't callously throw such a beautiful language around.

Kitsune means fox. However Kitsune is the term used mostly when referring to the foxes of old folklore and legends, so Kitsune is a loose term than can be used for fox or fox spirits or fox demons.

Anyway...whatever it's your character and she can think whatever she wants to. I just wanted to make sure you weren't using the word incorrectly, which in my opinion you are.

emiko_firecaster
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 PM

anyways,do you know what to call brandon? i still havent figured that out. and again my character will only use neko until she finds out that miranda is a kitsune

Chryssta
Forgotten Member of society

Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 PM

In all my years (more than 6 less than 10) since getting into Anime and the Japanese language/culture, talking with other fans and con goers (though maybe that's why, since no Otaku would make such a mistake), I have never heard 'Neko' be used for anything other than something cat related.

And Brandon is a wolf. His bio is posted on the first page of this thread in my post below Miranda's bio. Kry told me to go ahead and post it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by From RP: First post for Brandon, Last page
Behind him, his black wolven tail wags slowly.

Last edited by Chryssta; 05-27-2010 at 05:22 PM..

emiko_firecaster
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 PM

not what i meant, i meant that in miranda could be called a kitsune, what would my character call brandon

Kry
Hero Complex

Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 PM

Ookami or Ōkami means wolf in japanese. >.> if that's what you were asking. Or you could just ask him his name and call him by his name. -shrug-

emiko_firecaster
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 PM

lol i was looking for Ookami, thanks. kewl now i know how to refer to them both

Chryssta
Forgotten Member of society

Old 05-27-2010, 11:30 PM

Yeah, refer to Miranda as 'Miranda' and refer to Brandon as 'Sir'. He's a customer after all.

emiko_firecaster
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-28-2010, 01:10 AM

until she knows there names however, to herself she will think of them as kitsune and ookami