The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-30-2019, 02:22 PM

That's pretty much how I feel about it Cinderella. He would have to hire a coder to solve our problems and wed have to start seeing stuff like multiequips being fixed

and sadly seems we may need to hire a new pixel artist as I dont know if Wishie is still around.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-30-2019, 04:19 PM

Yeah, it seems like a bit of an undertaking. 😕
I wish I could do pixel art. I'd even do it for very low pay if it meant I could help in some way. 😔

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-30-2019, 04:26 PM

I can do pixel art but I would need a lot of guidance in order to make a single item. I almost finished one years ago but the pixel art event never came back.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-30-2019, 05:06 PM

Well, it's a start, maybe. :)

There was a pixel art event? That's cool!

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-01-2019, 03:39 AM

Yeah I made a pair of cute pants. I would probably try to finish it if mene had another event like that.

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-03-2019, 11:45 AM

I think I was the person who mentioned the 2023 date. But that's for the domain name, not the hosting. I wonder if it's on auto-renew for +two years on top of what is already paid every year? It says 2025 now and it was at 2023 last I looked.

Details:

SPOILERX

Domain Name: MENEWSHA.COM
Registry Domain ID: 595367942_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.moniker.com
Registrar URL: http://www.moniker.com
Updated Date: 2018-07-13T23:36:08Z <-- Paid and updated last year
Creation Date: 2006-09-16T05:25:49Z <-- Date domain was bought.
Registry Expiry Date: 2025-09-16T05:25:49Z <-- Currently paid till 2025

To do this, just google search "Domain Whois" find a site that does it, most domain registrars have it. Type in the domain, see what it says.

So the domain AT LEAST will be around till 2025. I guess we can see what happens in July if it goes up to 2027?

Hosting is another story, and that's the important part. The domain doesn't mean anything if the files and database for the site aren't working properly.

There's just a lot of things that can go wrong if someone isn't around at least maintaining the site and making backups. If a database goes corrupt, or there's a major back-end bug, or server-wide system updates, everything can break. That's a big worry. D:

One of the sites I maintained (not mine, but did server maintenance and content updates) had a forum. We moved everything to social media, but some people still used the forums. Occasionally it would go corrupt, and I'd have to go in the database and repair it, occasionally restore from a backup. But this was free forum software (Simple Machines I think?) and wasn't as well-supported as phpBB. I THINK Mene migrated over to vBulletin, but Wayback Machine definately shows phpBB2.

If Mene's using vBulletin, it's a commercial product and likely a lot more stable in the long run. But something as simple as a server-wide php update or a change somewhere can make everything come crashing down if the site is running on an older version.

It's more likely Mene will just trickle down to a slow drip and finally just stop dripping all together. New users aren't able to join to replace the ones that leave. There's no promoting. It's just here.

I think it could be turned around, but it would require a lot of resources and time. But fixing the Javascript issues would go a long way.

Last edited by Shion Uzuki; 05-03-2019 at 05:28 PM..

Risque
bing chilling

Old 05-12-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
If Mene's using vBulletin, it's a commercial product and likely a lot more stable in the long run. But something as simple as a server-wide php update or a change somewhere can make everything come crashing down if the site is running on an older version.
I wouldn't be surprised if so. Makes you wonder if Mene is worth "fixing" versus just starting again from scratch with the existing assets.

Think about how many things are still broken from the server change.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 PM

Risque perhaps but had he been more active in making changes we wouldn't have as many problems.

zazabar
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via MSN to zazabar

Old 06-12-2019, 03:12 AM

Okay so, what exactly is broken and needs fixing? I'm a professional developer and I don't mind fixing a few things if it will keep you guys going... I havent been here in quite a while but you can also see I'm not exactly a newbie.