Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 AM

Have you ever read one of those Choose Your Own Adventure books and thought the choices for what you could do were lame? Wished you could do something entirely different? Maybe you wanted to forget about slaying the dragon all together and go to the ice cream parlor. Maybe you wanted to throw a bomb at the dragon. Maybe you wanted to throw a bomb at the ice cream parlor...? Well, now's your chance! In this Choose Your Own Adventure game, you get to write in exactly what you want to do! Interested? Read on...

How to play
It's simple! I write a bit of a story, and then you write what the protagonist (that's all of you! Yes, you're sharing a body. I know it's cramped, do try not to shove) should do next. Keep it brief! Just one sentence, please. Once I've received a few different suggestions, it's time to pick which one I'll be using. If six people have posted what they would like to do next, then I will roll a six-sided die. The number it lands on corresponds to the person whose suggestion will be used (The first person to give a suggestion is 1, the second is 2, etc.). I'll then write another paragraph or two, rinse, repeat!

FAQ

What's in it for me?
Fun, hopefully! This is just a little game, not a big contest, so there will be no lavish prizes. At the end, I may give out some little prizes to people who posted the best/funniest/most creative suggestions (regardless of whether those were randomly chosen or not)

Can I join?
Absolutely!

What should my suggestions look like?
A good suggestion for what the protagonist should do next looks like this:
Quote:
I go into the cave to battle the dragon
Quote:
I choose for the protagonist to enter the cave with the intention of waiting for the dragon to leave
Quote:
I decide that the treasure just isn't worth it and head to the ice cream store instead.
Your suggestion should be brief and make clear what exactly it is you want the protagonist to do. This is what a bad suggestion looks like:
Quote:
I go into the cave
To do what? This doesn't give me much to work on. On the flip side, this isn't good either:
Quote:
I go into the cave and draw my sword. The light reflects off the sharp blade even though the cave is nearly pitch black. The dragon sleeps as I approach. My foot skims one of the coins from his vast hoard of treasure and lightly clink, clinks down the rocks. I freeze, I don't even breathe. The moment seems to drag on into hours as I wait to see if the dragon heard me...
That's more of a roleplay than a choose your own adventure! What you need to do is give a quick statement of what should be done, and then I tell you what happens as a result. You don't get to control what exactly happens, that's the fun!

How many times can I write a suggestion?
You may write a new suggestion once per story update (when I post the next part of the story).

Can we chat in here?
Absolutely!

Does my suggestion have to be serious?
Absolutely not! I wasn't kidding about that ice cream parlor thing. The sillier the suggestions are, the more fun this becomes!

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 08-06-2011 at 01:29 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 AM

The Story So Far...

Part 1: Am I having fun yet?
Part 2: Treasure Get!
Part 3: Who Stole My Shiny?!
Part 4: Peeblo a Fuse
Part 5: Cecilia Has Joined Your Party!
Part 6: Cherry On, Wayward Son
Part 7: Lise to Own
Part 8: Go to Heli
Part 9: In the Hood
Part 10: Quest Complete

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 08-12-2011 at 11:30 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-06-2011, 01:53 AM

You've spent much of today enjoying the festivities. You've thrown pies at the Mayor, Lise told your fortune, moles have been whacked, you spun a big wheel, you entered a fashion show... and you know what? You want MORE! Snacking on some delicious kettle corn, you walk down the boardwalk, eyeing each booth, looking for something you haven't done yet. You notice a booth for the local adoption agency... whoa, okay, guess the orphanage overfloweth, then.

You reach the end of the boardwalk and look off onto the horizon. The sunset makes a beautiful reflection on the sea, but that's not a game, you can't win a prize from watching that! You want games! You sit down and consider making a game of feeding your kettle corn to the bunnyfish which swim below, but decide against it. No one's gettin' your kettle corn but you, it's too delicious to waste!

Suddenly something catches your eye. A glint at the bottom of the sea floor... What is that? The water is deeper than you are tall. You know how to swim, but you haven't brought a swimming suit, and you're not sure that you want to abandon your kettlecorn on the boardwalk to get that shiny thing. But... it's like a game, isn't it? Diving for treasure! You haven't done that yet!

What will you do?

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 08-06-2011, 01:55 AM

Swallow all the kettle corn in one gulp then dive right in.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 08-06-2011, 01:58 AM

Mournfully abandon my kettle corn and dive in. This is an adventure after all!

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥
Send a message via AIM to Liztress

Old 08-06-2011, 02:00 AM

I put the kettle corn into a waterproof bag and dive in for treasure.

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 08-06-2011, 02:09 AM

I dive deep and swim to the shiney thing.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 08-06-2011, 02:12 AM

Kicking off my shoes, I swim down to the shiny thing. What is it?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-06-2011, 02:21 AM

Please wait until I've posted a story update to post a new suggestion. :) I'm going to take everyone's first suggestion.
Acobjum is 1, Carzeebear is 2, Liztress is three. Whoever's number is picked in this dice roll will have their suggestion used in the next update, which will be posted in just a moment.

The 3-sided dice lands on 3

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liztress View Post
I put the kettle corn into a waterproof bag and dive in for treasure.
You were so smart stopping at that booth that sold waterproof bags, weren't you? Your friends thought you were nuts. "You can buy a big box of those at the grocery store for a dollar!" they said. "Why would you even need those?" they said. But who's laughing now? Not you, because you're underwater.

You squint as you try to keep focused on the shiny thing. The sun setting is making it more and more difficult to see, especially now that you're underwater. But with one hand holding onto your precious kettlecorn, you dive deeper.

Something glints under the layer of sand and murk on the ocean floor. It's the shiny thing! Whatever it is buried a bit. You begin scratching away at sludge, getting quite a bit of it under your nails. Uhm, major ewie. Soon your fingers touch something hard. Whatever it is definitely feels shiny. You give a good tug and up it comes from its yucky tomb. You hold it up to your face but the fading sunlight makes it difficult to see. You're almost out of breath anyway.

You pop back up to the surface and climb onto the boardwalk. Your clothes are sopping wet and heavy, your pants almost fall down in the effort. But none of that matters, you have the shiny! You pop open your bag of (thankfully dry) kettlecorn and eat a celebratory handful, then you examine your treasure.

You hold in your hand a huge stone pendant attached to a long metallic chain. And I don't mean huge like as big as your thumbnail or that huge mole on your great uncle's forehead. I mean Flava Flav probably wants this necklace. This is like the necklace in Titanic huge. It looks old, or at least thoroughly dirtied by the ocean. It's heavy and cold in your hand.

You look around, not sure what to do. You feel you've just discovered something big. Big. But who to talk to? A few helpful looking people are mingling around the boardwalk.
  • Mr. Mayor knows plenty about the town, but who knows where this is from.
  • Jeryck is knowledgeable about all sorts of artifacts, but he always tells you such long, boring stories!
  • Lise has seen a lot of the world in her travels, and is familiar with all sorts of mysterious things, but she's known to tell elaborate lies for her own amusement.
  • Vicky, being a hopeless romantic, probably knows plenty about fine jewelry, but you aren't sure if she would know about antique treasures.
  • Peeblo is the closest to you, but who knows what kind of trickery he might play.
  • Cherry Flavored Antacid is nearby, eating an ice cream cone. She has mint chocolate, which is a pretty good flavor, so she at least knows a lot when it comes to tasty ice cream.
Now who to ask...

What will you do?

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 08-06-2011, 02:54 AM

Making sure you buy some ear plugs first, you make your way to Jeryck.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-06-2011, 03:21 AM

We need a few more suggestions from different people before we can proceed. Anyone else? :)

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 08-06-2011, 03:27 AM

After drying a bit in the sun i head over to see Mr. Mayor.

lydia1020
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-06-2011, 06:10 AM

Suggestion: I don't want to "talk" to anybody, so I stow the necklace in my pocket and steal cherry flavored antacid's ice cream cone

Last edited by lydia1020; 08-06-2011 at 06:15 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-06-2011, 06:14 AM

Good suggestions so far! I'm going to leave this until tomorrow afternoon to give some more people a chance to throw in their suggestions, since there's quite a lot of possibilities at this point in the story. Not to mention it's 1 AM so I'm not confident that I could write something all that coherently at the moment. :lol:

Feel free to chat!

lydia1020
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-06-2011, 06:16 AM

alright. Its only 11pm where I'm at. I was thinking about making a thread like this, but as the summer zombie invasion. Is it alright if I steal your setup?

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Flavored Antacid View Post
Now who to ask...

What will you do?
Not seeing Afrodonkey anywhere in the vicinity, you decide to put on your greyest raincloud and approach Lise.

NeuzaKC
Stan.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 AM

I make my way to miss Lise, confident that I will be able to dechipher whatever tales she tells.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 AM

Proceeds to pester Lise about the necklace.

Watery Star
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-06-2011, 04:29 PM

I head in Jeryck's direction hoping that if I tell him I gotta pee he wont be so long winded.

or that's what I would of done had I not missed the cut off ^^;

Last edited by Watery Star; 08-06-2011 at 04:33 PM..

jessieomer
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 PM

I squee in delight as I approach Mr. Mayor like a rabid fangirl, asking him for his autograph.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Watery Star - There's no cut off. :)

Lydia1020 - If you do and you use the same method, please credit me and link to this thread as the original. :)

Rollin' time! The next part of the story will be posted momentarily.

Liztress is 1, Acobjum is 2, lydia1020 is 3, Howdy is 4, NeuzaKC is 5, Carzeebear is 6, Watery Star is 7, and jessieomer is 8.

The 8-sided dice lands on 3

EDIT: I had to edit this post because I messed up in the story and need to fix that, but editing it will change what the dice roll was, I think. The dice landed on 1.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liztress View Post
Making sure you buy some ear plugs first, you make your way to Jeryck.
How handy that this little fair also has an earplug booth! They thought of everything. Why, it's almost as if booths are appearing specifically because you need them! But that can't be right because that would be silly.

Jeryck's small booth has a large apothecary jar set out, full of beautiful pearls and gems. You certainly picked the right man to go to, he's bound to know something about this! You stand in line as the Menewshans in front of you turn the jar, examining it from every angle. Some tap their fingers on the glass as they attempt to count each treasure inside before jotting their guess down on the clipboard next to the jar. Others barely even look at the jar before scribbling a number and toddling off. Eventually you make it to the front of the line.

"Well, hello there!" Jeryck greets you warmly.

"Hi, I've got a q-" you begin before being cut off.

"Haven't you already made a guess? Why yes, I'm sure you were just here earlier! What was that guess of yours? 104, was it? You want to change that, I assume? Here, I've got the clipboard for that somewhere. Where did that go..." Jeryck rummages behind his table as you stand there with your mouth still open. You're not entirely sure that you've ever said a complete sentence to Jeryck.

"I know I just had it!" Jeryck grumbles. Looking to the back of the booth, you notice his granddaughter Cessy drawing on a clipboard with some crayons.

"Is that it?" you ask, motioning towards Cecilia before catching yourself and remembering that's not why you're here. "Wait, that's not why I'm here," you say, completely redundant of your inner narrative.

"Oh, yes, then what can I help you with?"

You reach into your pocket for your precious shiny thing but... it's not there! You frantically begin checking all your pockets, only to come up with a rubber band, a pair of earplugs, and a wad of lint. You paw your chest, thinking you might have put the necklace on, but no dice. It's not in your bag of kettle corn either.

"I- it's gone!" you say.

"Oh dear, have you lost something?" Jeryck asks.

"MY SHINY!" you say, on the verge of tears. You quickly retrace your steps, staring at the ground, hoping you might have dropped it. After pacing up and down the boardwalk at least four times (and having to buy a new bag of kettlecorn to fuel your anguished search), it becomes clear it's not anywhere to be found. You ask a few booth owners if anyone has found it and turned it in with no luck. You can now come to only one conclusion: someone must have stolen it. You look around, hoping you might spot the culprit, but there seem to be a number of suspicious people lingering about...
  • Cecilia, Jeryck's granddaughter. She likely took Jeryck's clipboard, and little girls do love pretty jewelry. She probably meant no harm by it, she's a sweet girl, but that doesn't mean she didn't do it...
  • Peeblo, trouble maker extraordinaire. He could have stolen it for fun, profit, or both!
  • Lise is certainly mysterious. You've heard that those bear heads she gives out are toys she stole from the Toymaker and destroyed, so theft might not be beyond her...
  • Yumeh is certainly mischievous for a kitty. The glint might have caught his eye and he could have snatched right from your pocket. That crown he wears certainly suggests he has an eye for bling...
  • Vicky may seem sweet, but there was that time she went crazy a few years ago... Or was that some kind of possession thing? You don't remember, but you do know she loves beautiful jewelry. And no one can be that nice, right?
  • Lapis, the owner of Jewel's Dream. Might she have snatched the shiny to sell in her own store?
  • Cherry Flavored Antacid is still sitting off to one side eating an ice cream cone. There's a glint in her eyes. Is it a glint of thievery or of ice cream love?

Will you confront one of these people? If so, who?

What will you do?

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 08-06-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 PM

You storm over to Cherry, stealing her ice cream and demanding the shiny back.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM

Rather than confronting her, I sweetly ask Cecilia if she knows where it went.

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 PM

I head over to Cherry, flexing my muscles as I prepare to give her a beatdown. :P I knock the ice cream out of her hands and it splatters onto the concrete.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 08-07-2011, 03:15 AM

I look around for anyone who is trying to escape or is possibly watching me with very suspicious looks.