The Awkward

Penpal

Old 03-05-2014, 07:41 PM

I'm Nazarene but I'll pray for you :3
I don't know what all those ceremonies are

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 PM

@Boo Thank you for the prayers. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent... the sort of 'sad waiting' period before Good Friday when Jesus was killed, and we finally get to celebrate again on Easter. Basically they put a cross of ashes on your forehead that are meant to wear off while reading a verse from the Bible; the 'ashes to ashes dust to dust' thing. For some reason my old Presbyterian church did it. I'm certain Catholics do too, and many of the 'slightly more Catholic than most Protestant' churches such as Anglicans/Episcopalians and Lutherans should.

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 PM

Well I learned something new today!
Thank you for explaining!

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 03-06-2014, 02:00 AM

CosmicFoxKitty: There's all kinds of fun stuff to learn. I was baptized non-denominationally, so unless it's something with a really negative vibe, I'm not likely to be bothered at all if people are on a path that only crosses over with mine some of the time. As long as we're all going in the right direction, y'know?

I'm sure you know of some Sacraments: Celebrating the Holy Eucharist/Holy Communion/The Lord's Supper is the main one most people think of. Also "The Sacrament of Holy Matrimony" ie marriage is commonly known. To see the whole list of all the Sacraments that the Episcopal church recognizes, click here:

The Sacraments | Episcopal Church

(P.S. The Catholic Church celebrates most of the sacraments as well, but they see many but not all of our Protestant versions as "invalid" because we're not Catholic. =/ That overall attitude does bother mee a little bit. It's one of the reasons I'm not Catholic XD)

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 03-06-2014, 02:27 AM

I didn't know all that was considered a sacrament... i guess I was never really taught the terms. Thank you for sharing that with me, it was definitely interesting. I'm glad to have learned it.

I've been baptized three times, but this last one was the only one that really meant anything to me as i wasn't a child and actually understood the meeaning of it. I don't know... my thoughts about christianity and religion are rather different than most people would like or understand...

Like to me christianity is a relationship with god, religion is all the rules and restrictions... I believe if you have a relationship with god then you would want to follow his commandments and what not. Though I do struggle witth them and sin in general... I call myself a baby christian and hope one day to grow strong into christianity. If that makes sense.

Saravi Boo
Licking threads since 2010!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:16 PM

That's interesting. I knew Ash Wednesday was the start of Lent for Catholics and such but I didn't know there was a ceremony to go with it. ^_^

We take communion once a month at my church and sometimes for special holidays like new years or Easter. Pentecostals (at least the churches I have attended) aren't much for ceremonies and religious trappings. Our services are focused on following God's will and the leading of the Holy Spirit in everything we do. Sometimes we don't even make it to the message and we'll spend an entire service in praise and worship and prayer.

I was raised Baptist and it was a good foundation but I reached a point in my life when I felt like my relationship with God just wasn't what it should be. It took me years to figure out what was missing (and the help of my hubby and his family). I was baptized with water after I got saved when I was six years old but I now understand that there is another baptism that I had been lacking. It's a very special feeling to be baptized with the Holy Spirit. I can't even really describe it properly. ^_^

Anywho, I have to clock in for work in a few minutes so I will stop there. I know I get pretty excited about my faith and I don't want to sound like I'm preaching to you all. lol. I am happy to answer any questions you may have about anything I say. I know not every denomination interprets the Bible in just the same way. I am hoping that God blesses the effort as long as that faith in Jesus' salvation is there. ^_^

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 PM

hiya, Boo, kitty and Crowie! *Catholic girl slips in feeling guilty* sorry Crowie.

why Catholics don't eat meat during Lent

Ash Wednesday

a couple of easy-ish reads from the Catholic view.
Ash Wednesday is the day penance begins. we give up something during the forthy days un til Easter. the Ashes are from the blessed palms from the previous Palm Sunday. we abstain from eating meat on Ash Wednesday and all fridays during Lent.
i was taught we do this as Jesus gave of his flesh and as God gave of his only son.
the Ash Wednesday link has a picture of what Ashes look like on someones forehead

i was unaware other faiths had Ash Wednesday, thanks for letting us know, Crowie.

Last edited by hummy; 03-07-2014 at 11:01 PM..

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal

Old 03-08-2014, 09:38 AM

I think it is awesome that we are all of different denominations. I've celebrated with many denominations and even different faith groups throughout my life. There is always so much to learn. I, personally, think it is great that there are so many ways for a person to find what resonates well with them. I'm... complicated. I have basically made up my own path and I can use quite a few words to describe it... maybe another day?

@hummy-dear I have a number of friends who are Roman Catholic, and I enjoy talking with them. It just happens to be that when I am having an intelligent discussion with them, and some friend of theirs joins on the thread and shouts at me "WE (THE CATHOLICS) PROFESS THAT WE ARE THE ONE TRUE CHURCH!" Having that kind of attitude is like trying to get flies with vinegar instead of honey. Even though I am constantly evaluating my own position and whether or not it is in accordance with that of the Catholic Church, I feel bad for all the other Christians who are happy, living with the light and love of the Holy Spirit in their own protestant ways.

Basically, as long as we remain the amazing, awesome, and kind people that we are and just talk about our similarities and differences... and don't put one denomination 'above' another in any way... keep it a safe space... that's what I'd like to see. I know it's not my thread, but I can hope, right? ;)

Saravi Boo

Old 03-11-2014, 04:14 PM

That's interesting Hummy, and don't feel bad for being Catholic. It isn't my place to judge whether your faith or my faith is good enough for God. All I can do is follow Him to the best of my ability and pray for those who are attempting to do the same (and those who aren't). ^_^ Christianity to me is about believing the truths presented in the bible and accepting the change that those truths can work in our lives. The greatest of those truths is that Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected to be the final sacrifice for the sin of mankind. That makes him the only way to reach heaven.

As long as someone believes that sincerely and tries to live accordingly, then I would consider them a Christian. All the rest is subject to interpretation and while my interpretation may be different from some of yours; I can't say which one is right and I'm hardly going to attack anyone for it.

The thread was made to be a comfortable, loving place for Christians and other interested Menewshans to fellowship with each other and encourage each other grow closer to God in the process. ^_^ I hope that is everyone else's goal as well.

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal

Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 PM

It's an awesome goal, Boo :)

I also don't hope that you feel bad because of what I said that others have said to me, hummy. I know that you're sweet, awesome, and manage to get across many of the virtues that we as Christians are supposed to have... even in this digital, online format.

Saravi Boo

Old 03-12-2014, 01:32 AM

I would actually be quite interested to discuss the catholic faith a bit more. As an outsider there are things about it that do make me wonder and I have never really had anyone to ask who I wasn't pretty certain was either a lapsed catholic or was likely to take offense to my curiosity. *shrugs*

I like to know things. lol

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 03-20-2014, 05:30 PM

Hello everyone :)
I do hope I'm not being an intruder or anything, being a Muslim. Personally, I do believe that once there was a Jesus Christ, but according to our religion, not as a son of God (Forgive me, I don't really know whether Jesus Christ is a God or a son of God, correct me) but as a messenger of Allah, and after he was lifted into the heavens, after 600 long years Allah sent Muhammed and that he is the final messenger, with corrections where the Bible had been changed by the people. But I also do believe that there are still truths in bible, not changed by man but still, believe in Allah and accept Propher Muhammed (PBUH) as the last prophet.

Now, I'm sorry for my long introduction, and I'm not trying to condemn or get into any fights (I really don't! I believe in my religion strongly but I don't want to fight with people or anything) but I forgot: hello thread.

Saravi Boo

Old 03-21-2014, 12:07 PM

Lexadis Hello.

Well you are welcome to hang out with us if you remain respectful. I believe that Jesus is both part of God and God's son. As for him being a prophet instead of God's son; prophets told the truth and he said he was the son of God so he either was who he said he was, or he was crazy or lying. Either way he could not have been just a prophet. I choose to believe that he was who he said he was because without him there is no hope.

I do not know how muslim teachings are changed from the Bible but I believe the bible. I would much rather serve a living God than follow a dead prophet.

I don't want to fight with anyone but you came into a Christian hangout and challenged our beliefs by stating your own. I felt compelled to reciprocate in kind.

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 03-21-2014, 12:20 PM

Hello Boo :)
Of course, I take no offense of your statements or anything, we indeed believe in different things, and I guess that's what makes people even more interesting, no? While I believe in my own religion, I also want to know more about other religion (not because I want to go argue with everyone and enter into debates or anything, but because I'm interested). I believe for as long as one is not an atheist he is good. If he is an atheist, then that is okay too but I do believe that for as long as we believe in one (or in some religions, many) Gods truly I'm sure that whoever it is is our real Lord would forgive us, on the last day. And while we follow the Prophet, it is because he was the messenger of God, and we too, believe and follow our God's teachings ^-^

Now to put aside our differences, and to get along well and focus on our.. Similarities, or moe importantly, to focus on Christianity as this thread is a Christian thread and I barge in blabbering my religion.. I sincerely hope you'll forgive me if I have caused any sort of uncomfortable or unwelcome or disliking feeling/impression in your eyes, or mind.

One question though..I'm sorry to be asking questions, but for a long time I have longed for Christian friend, but haven't had any, as I grew up in a Muslim community. If so, then do you not believe, according to your beliefs that Jesus was raised into the heavens and would descend on earth near the last day?

Last edited by Lexadis; 03-21-2014 at 12:58 PM..

Saravi Boo

Old 03-21-2014, 05:02 PM

Yes I believe that Jesus ascended to heaven and is coming back one day. I don't beliveve that everyone is fine as long as they believe in some sort of god. The bible teaches that there is only one true God and the only way to reach him is through his son Jesus. That does not mean I hate others who do not share my beliefs, in fact just the opposite. Christians are taught to love those who are lost and to pray for them. I would be happy to be your friend and answer any questions you may have about Christianity to the best of my ability.

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 03-21-2014, 05:59 PM

Well I do so believe that they may be punished, but I hope that God can forgive them all with His mercy :) Ah we believe the same about Isa (alai) too ^^ But then don't you believe that he was crucified? And according to our beliefs God has neither son nor daughter, but of course, our theories do differ :)

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 03-21-2014, 08:54 PM

See I never know how to respond to stuff like that, all I know is that I believe that jesus is the son of god, and is part of god... the three spirits in one. People can say I'm wrong but i believe what I believe. I mean what do I have to loose? I have everything to gain... I just don't get why people have to tell me I'm wrong in my beliefs can't we just say to each their own and leave it at that? I don't get why everyone has to get their feathers ruffled over it, not saying you guys are but in general. If any of this makes sense. i'm kind of tired.....

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 03-22-2014, 05:01 PM

Of course, Kitty, the end result is that we all believe in 'God', whatever his name may be. We know that He created every being, and He is the most merciful, the greatest, and all the things in the universe. Who knows - maybe all the God we believe can be one, but just in different names, according to different times? It is not ours to judge, but to God alone. All we can do is to believe wholeheartedly and follow what we and our hearts believe is right ^_^

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 PM

Exactly!!! Couldn't have said it better myself.

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal

Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 PM

Okay folks, I have a proposition for you. I have some things to say in response to Lexadis: (about seeing Islam from a Christian perspective, and one that is 'more sympathetic/understanding' than the average at that).

However, I don't really want to hijack the thread, as ALL are invited here, but to discuss Christianity (and the differences and similarities between all flavours of Christian thought).

If you are okay with us comparing/contrasting with at least other Western Religions (Judaism, as Jesus Himself was a pious Jew), and Islam, then let me know. Otherwise, I would propose we make a "Western Religions" thread that covers as an umbrella for a civilized discussion for all of these. Let us know which you would prefer, Boo :)

Saravi Boo

Old 03-23-2014, 01:59 AM

I don't mind discussion provided the focus is primarily on Christianity and related questions and comparisons to other religions. I just ask everyone to please keep in mind that this is supposed to be a Christian hangout where people can fellowship, grow, and support each other in prayer through shared faith. Nonbelievers are welcome to chat if they want to learn about our beliefs. Attacks or arguments about various religions will not be tolerated. I am saying this merely as a precaution and do not intend to imply that anyone has caused these problems so far.

I will give us a nudge if I feel the thread going too far offtopic. ^_^ In the meantime discuss away...

As for the question about Jesus being crucified; yes I believe that he was killed to be the final sacrifice for our sins. However the bible teaches that he rose from the dead on the third day and appeared to his disciples and other followers several times before he ascended to heaven. He is alive and he has promised to return one day. That is what makes Christianity diffferent from many religions. Our God conquered death so we could have the hope for eternal life.

That makes me want to change into my Easter avi. It perturbed me last year when the avi contests forbade religious figures (although I think it was Christmas). How is it fair to say it is okay to express belief in Santa or the Easter bunny but I can't submit a Mary or a Jesus avi? I hope this year they will be more respectful of religious beliefs. My avatars are hardly hurting anyone who doesn't believe and I like to hope they remind people what those holidays are really supposed to focus on for Christians.

*climbs down off soapbox* Sorry for that. I get riled when my right to express my beliefs gets threatened.

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 AM

Another reason our god is different is because he humbled himself down to be beaten and tortured, to give his life for us.... HE GAVE UP HIS POWER AS GOD TO SAVE US! IS THAT NoT THE COOLEST THING EVER? I don't know of any other god who has sacrificed their "powers" for the sake of their followers. That's why it astounds me. It's really amazing thing to know that he would do that for us, all of us. Sinners. We're all sinners... but he died so that it could be covered.... This... it's amazinng.... at least to me... I would love to see that sacrifice from other gods.... It's just... I don't know.

I believe in God because I should be dead right now. I don't feel like going into detail right now, but I think that we shouldn't fight each other... I just believe my God is almighty, amazing, astounding, indescribable, unimaginable, and so much more! That's why I love him (or her, I don't actually know what sex he is... I just refer to him as a he.). I don't know.... just yea...

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 03-23-2014, 02:58 AM

Boo - Thank you for your answer =) (We believe that he was raised into heavens before he was crucified and is still there, in the skies, waiting till he will be sent down again near the judgement day ^^) One more question (you can chase me out if you think my questions are too much, but I really want to know more) your bible also talks about Adam, Idrees, Noah, Joseph, Solomon, David, Moses and many other prophets which our scripture too talks about, doesn't it? Who are they considered to be, according to the bible? I have read a little of the bible and noted that there were many references to the (prophets as we talk about), but I didn't know how the bible refers it, I couldn't understand much =(

---------- Post added 03-23-2014 at 08:30 AM ----------

And whaat can't you have religious avis? I wanted to have an avi of Krishna/Kanha or of Saraswathi Devi as I like those but.. =(

Saravi Boo

Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. This week has been a bit busy so far. ^_^'

Hmm...that's very different. I feel that I would much rather serve and trust a God that was willing to die for me and then be resurrected to prove his divinity. If he had fled from the cross I would wonder if he would desert me during my worst times as well. I am thankful that I have no such reason to doubt.

As for the other people you listed, I know all of them except Idrees. I don't believe he is part of our bible. However, Adam was the first human created. Noah was the only righteous man of his time and he was the one God chose to survive the great flood that wiped the rest of humanity off the face of the earth. Joseph was one of Jesse's sons who was gifted with prophetic dreams and the interpretation thereof. His brothers grew jealous of him and sold him into slavery. He ended up in Egypt and eventually became second to the pharoah. That allowed him to save his family from a great drought and famine that happened. David was chosen by God to be king of Israel after Saul who had fallen from God's grace. Solomon was David's son and was given wisdom from God as a gift. Moses was a jewish child raised as the son of an Egyptian princess. He eventually led the Israelites out of captivity in Egypt and for forty years in the wilderness before they finally found the promised land. Does that cover everyone?

What do Muslim's believe about Abraham? I notice you did not mention him. In Christian beliefs, Abraham was promised a child through his wife Sarah who would be the root of God's chosen people but he wasn't patient enough and fathered a child by her handmaiden first. He eventually sent both the maid and her child away and asked God to forgive him and bless that child as well as the promised one. We believe that that child is the beginning of the Muslim faith.

We can have religious avis, we just couldn't enter them in the contests last year.

Phew! That was a lot of typing. lol.

Suzanne Sky
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-26-2014, 06:09 PM

Hello everyone! I am not trying to disrupt the conversation in progress here - it is very interesting - but I just saw this thread on the Spy feed, and was happy to know there was a Christian thread in the forums. I had not seen it before at all, even though I thought I had browsed through everything here. I'm a newbie, less than a week old, as you might have guessed.

Saravi Boo, I noticed that you mentioned religious avatars. Would you mind telling me how an outfit like that is put together? Being so new, I don't have that much stuff yet, and am really overwhelmed by alllll that is available as far as clothes. Right now I am trying to save up my money to hopefully be able to find and buy a Hawaiian Rainbow t-shirt. But I am definately interested in the possibility of a religious avatar at some point in the future.