Dreaming of Reality
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 AM

Life Below the Clouds

A Story between Tachigami and Dreaming of Reality

A small port city, Cordonia, burst at the seams with, weary airship travelers, pirates and workers looking for a place to rest, eat, and have a good time. It was made to be a pit stop for airships traveling between the continental sized, floating islands. When an airship had to travel from the farming plots littered across the outer islands, and on the outskirts of the caverns to the capital, it was quite the journey. So the Two Brothers Tavern had boomed with business in the past few months, on the small floating island separated from its mainland. Even Kate Jones and her crew found themselves squeezing into the tavern they heard so much about.

The tavern had people everywhere and they were lucky to even find a table in the dimly light room to crowd around. The air was thick with smoke, laughs and the smell of rum. With a round of drinks for her men Kate kicked her feet up and took a load off listening to stories being shared. Many of the men started up the horror stories about the land dwellers where airships weren’t need. That alone was a horror; airships had become their life, their existence and the only way around. “Have you heard? Joey Leadfoot and his crew decided to go down there, and no one has heard from them since.” One of her crewmembers, Radley, exclaimed finding the stories so interesting.

“Seriously Radley, you’ve been on an airship for the past three months.” Kate chuckled waiting for the day his tales would end. Only it wouldn’t be today since someone in the tavern decided to join their conversation. “He probably went down their for the treasure.” The man blurted out getting the attention of the whole table even Kate. When the man saw he had their attention he went on, “There are rumors it will make you the wealthiest person in the world and immortal. I don’t blame him for trying.” For Kate it was too good to be true but her crew was ensnared and she felt a sharp elbow in the arm.

That got her to put her drink down and get serious. “Then why haven’t you tried yourself?” she asked putting the man on the spot for getting her crew excited over some rumors. A risk like that was something she didn’t want to deal with. Standing at her full height of five foot ten inches in an attempt to be intimidating, she flipped her auburn braid over her shoulder and glowered at him with brown eyes that didn’t want to hear another word of it. Unluckily it didn't workout how she had planned, quite the opposite actually.

Last edited by Dreaming of Reality; 12-26-2012 at 05:27 PM..

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Aloe's crew was definitely weary after that trek through the canyon. It wasn't easy to navigate those narrow pathways, and the risk of tearing the ship's balloon was the largest threat. Should that happen, they'd fall from the sky, down to the land below and lost forever. Which was why only canoes and gondolas dared brave the narrow areas; most galleons couldn't make it, they just didn't have the patience to nose their way along. It was with a tense sigh of relief that they made it to Cordonia and trudged into the bustling tavern before it had become too crowded. Most of them were too tired to get very out of control, their frayed nerves calming slowly. Aloe sat with her gangling men in a corner, closer to her first mate and most trusted of them. Rift, her first mate, sat closer to a group that only recently arrived, listening in on their conversation over the dull roar everywhere else.

"Aloe, I been hearin' things like that too." He said, leaning toward her. "Things about some ancient tribe down below the clouds. Guardin' some huge secrets, massive treasure hoards and a hundred golden weapons that give their deity the power of immortality."

"Don't even go there, Rift." Aloe sighed, leaning her chair back to rest against the wall behind her. "My dad always talked about that. Lost his friends when they tried going down to find it, never came back. I'd rather not lose my crew for some stupid stories."

"They're not stories!" Mel, one of the deckhands, leaned over the table and pushed a couple mugs aside. "It's written in some books I found before coming onto your ship, Aloe. Never thought much of it, but it's really real!"

Aloe was about to respond with a snide remark when the loudmouth nearby stood up. "I need a crew, that's why! I need numbers!" He was a big man, and seemed to take up a good amount of space. Now most of the tavern's floor was silent. "And I'll bet none o' ye want to come and follow me! Not even for gold, silver, jewels, and immortality! All cowards, I tell you what. Cowards! Thinkin' you weak, must be doin' that."

Aloe slammed her fist down and stood. "You want a few good men, damn it? I'll give you some!" Her stern voice carried far, and a number of her men stood, including Rift and Mel. "Not all of my guys are the bravest, but I've got some strong hands. We accept your bet. Anyone else?" She looked around. A lot of those present had been talking about the rumors and ideas of treasure and immortality. Not many, however, would follow through with their boasts about going down to what they've never seen before.

Dreaming of Reality
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-26-2012, 05:15 AM

The biggest of grins spread across Radley’s lips, Kate would never let someone get away with calling her a coward or her crew. “Oh, I am not lettin’ an opportunity to watch a loudmouth become silenced slip by.” She stated standing up tall with her shoulders held back and her head up high. However, even though she stood ready for any challenge ahead of her only a handful of her crew stood. It didn’t shock her or leave her in a state of disbelief, it was expected. They were a bunch of hired hands and abled bodies she had rounded up going from port to port. “Don’t expect to get your last pay check. The week isn’t over.” She said snidely not willing to give up her coinage to unworthy workers that didn’t deserve to be paid. That remark got a few more reluctant sailors to join her and her faithful companions though. All of them together including her made up a crew of seven, almost half of what she had.

“This’ll be interesting. I hope you didn’t get us into anything dangerous again.” Aidan, one of Kate’s first and most loyal of crewmembers remarked sarcastically. It quickly received a laugh from Jaylin, Kate’s best friend and first mate. “When doesn’t she?” she remarked unable to contain the laughs now. Soon a few others, who stood, especially Kate, joined them in merry laughter. One of the most disguising features Kate had was the scar across her cheek starting from her jaw and going up towards her eye, and it wasn’t obtained from being merely a cargo ship.

“It'll be just like old times, constantly avoiding the threat of death.” Kate responded before separating from her crew to introduce herself to the other group that accepted the squealers challenge. In her mind she thought it would be best to get acquainted since they would be venturing down to a place unimaginable dangerous because no one lived to tell the tale. “The names Kate and it’ll be a pleasure workin’ with you. Best be on good terms with where we’re goin’.” She said with a chuckle extending her rough and calloused hand towards the other captain that stood. Most of Kate’s crew that stood watched in anticipation for the outcome of the confrontation.

No one else in the tavern even attempted to stand, they could gossip and spread rumors about the land below them but not a single one would venture down there. Anyone if asked always had a different tale to tell and every single one was impressively horrifying. Giant beasts, air one couldn't breath, yet there was always an incentive to why people tried, treasure. Not even Kate and her crew could deny that was the very reason they would be going down there. It wouldn't be worthy it if they got nothing out of such a long journey that no one returned from.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 PM

Aloe was pleasantly surprised to see someone else stand, and the fact that it was another female captain left her ever more surprised. It was rare to see a woman at the head, because men didn’t normally listen to them or take them terribly serious. It was something Aloe had beaten out of her crew rather viciously, teaching them to behave, lie rather to one another than to her. Once a new deckhand had thought he could get away with touching Aloe, and a broken hand, followed by a swift ejection over a wide expanse of air, had shown everyone present that she’d not accept it. Leading by example was what Aloe did, and if no one heeded her spoken warning, they’d be taken care of.

As the second captain, introducing herself as Kate, stepped forward with an outstretched hand, Aloe paused only a moment. She could hear muttering behind her, and a slight ahem from her put her standing crew silent. Before, though, she’d heard Rift: “Can’t wait to see this. Aloe can be a real---” She’d cut his comment short before he could finish it, though she was sure he was going to give her a flattering insult. She was used to those. Leading her crew into especially dangerous airfights, swinging from the airship’s massive balloon on rope swings and onto new, smaller ships, risking a definite death should someone fall between ships. Her more memorable escapades had involved rushing small hovel-like hiding places populated with ugly, smelly pirates that looked much tougher than her and her crew. Aloe was reckless from time to time, especially considering she’d been born on a ship and had lived in the air for most of her life. Because she’d grown up mostly around rough men, she’d gathered a lifetime of scars hidden beneath her clothes. One, though, scaled the back of her right hand, from her ring finger to her wrist.

She smiled and shook Kate’s hand. “Couldn’t agree more. Call me Aloe, everyone does.” Her crew seemed to relax immediately, as if someone had released the tension ropes to allow the ship to rise quickly. Mel stepped forward, beside the two so he was closer to the one that had offered the challenge.

“You got yourself a couple captains and the best of their crew.” He said forcefully. “Now what about you? What’s your name, eh? Bettin’ you can’t provide a few skiffs, or fuel, and definitely not supplies! ‘Cause I’m damn sure a couple’a good captains aren’t about to risk their own ships for something that’s probably just an old story!”

“Name’s Falukin, and of course I got everythin’ you need!” The man stomped around the table that was blocking him, and showed a particularly bad limp. His faulty leg was quite real, though. “Got three ships loaded with supplies and fuel. Ma own crew abandoned me, and I ain’t been able to find no one else that’d come along with me. I’ll be out near the docks, meet me there in a hour, yea?” Glaring between the women and their crews, Falukin stalked out of the silent tavern as a muttering began rising amongst the spectators.