R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-13-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostPastry View Post
oh i actually love reading books on my phone, i need to do that more when i'm out and about. but not at home, it's so rough on my wrists. but just like, instead of idly refreshing all my chat websites, i could just open hoopla and skimmy dip.

oh Spanish in audiobooks or podcasts is so good sped up! they always speak unnaturally slowly in children's books or books with more simple vocabulary, so it's nice to speed that up and hear a more realistic speaking pace. it's so cool they chose that narrator for that book! there's so much appropriation of Mexican culture, it's nice to get to appreciate it from someone who's part of that culture instead.

that's one situation where the slower pace is kinda good, right? then you really get the slow burn and suspense. i like when they do different voices, as long as they're good at it. it's definitely more like listening to a play then.

definitely good to know what you're looking for samples are so clutch, it's like getting to flip through a book before you read it.

i'll see if i can give it a shot! yeah i have that issue too, i'd want to listen to them while i'm drawing, but i find that i get really concentrated on what i'm doing and totally zone out what i'm listening to. i breathe really heavily too, art must really take a lot out of me
To be fair, there are many people from Mexico that think the book is a horrible representation of Mexican cartel and life/fear. BUT there are also a lot of people from Mexico that think the book portrays properly the fear they've experienced, so I guess it depends how you've lived. But I also felt happy that they had chosen someone of that culture to read the book.

Having only listened to two audio books so far, I haven't had a need for that slow burn and suspense, but I can see where that would be lovely actually! But it's a tease too lol "JUST TELL ME ALREADY!" is what I'd see myself thinking.

LOL @ i breathe really heavily too, art must really take a lot out of me - Legit chuckled out loud at that one. It's hard work being detailed like that, I totally get it! LOL

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 01-13-2023, 07:04 PM

yeah, everyone's different, it's like how a lot of Mexicans love Speedy Gonzales even though most yt people think it's a stereotype. but either way, you can never go wrong having the narrator be someone who actually belongs to the culture.

exactly i'm like listening, nodding, "get to the point so i can say what i'm thinking!" except it's a book so there's no spot for me to speak

ahaha, my friends used to come up to me while i was sketching in my notebook and be like "are you ok?? is something wrong?" and i'd be like "huh? no, i'm good, just doodlin'" and they're like "ok well it sounds like you're having a panic attack or something, just wanted to be sure " so i don't even realize when i'm doing it apparently

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-13-2023, 07:27 PM

LOL That's fair!

Hahaha you're not the only one that does that, I do it too XD!

Oh my goodness! I can only imagine. I guess don't do art in the library or people will really be weirded out

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 02-19-2023, 05:25 AM

Answering the first post: I read in all three formats, though for the past few years, I've mostly been listening to audiobooks. I work at a bookstore and have access to a lot of free audiobooks for work, and also borrow from the library via my phone.

I don't always have the attention span anymore to sit still and read like I used to, and find it really soothing to have a story read to me while I do chores or take a walk.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 02-25-2023, 11:33 AM

Similar to Chexala I mostly listen to audiobooks these days because of time but I'll take a book in any form you want to give it to me by preference

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 12-21-2023, 11:00 PM

I've definitely been primarily reading via audiobook recently, but I've also been enjoying the freedom of reading digitally. I love having physical copies of books that I love, and I will sometimes read physical books, but I think as time goes on I'm resigning myself more and more to the fact that I very rarely read physical books any more.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 12-23-2023, 12:25 AM

Its sad isn't it, how little time there is for physical books anymore.

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 12-23-2023, 04:11 AM

Yeah, it’s a bit of a bummer. What I’ve found useful is starting a book club with my friends, and there’s a lot more motivation to actually sit down and read knowing that you’ll be chatting about the book with others later.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 12-23-2023, 06:59 AM

I joined a work book club, which sorta petered out, then we tried again.......and it died entirely. People just stopped showing up. I should look into something in my community or something, get myself out of the house

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 12-24-2023, 01:51 AM

I fear the same happening to hours, tbh. We've opnly read two books through it so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm definitely one of the keeenest members, and both times I've read the entire book on the day that it was assigned even though we only meet monthly... I should start a new topic for book club discussions!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 12-24-2023, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeapear View Post
I fear the same happening to hours, tbh. We've opnly read two books through it so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm definitely one of the keeenest members, and both times I've read the entire book on the day that it was assigned even though we only meet monthly... I should start a new topic for book club discussions!
The leader of our group forbid me from reading ahead, HOW RUDE!

But as far as enthusiasm, that was definitely me and my supervisor Kevin. We also ironically were the only two left in the first try