Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...
Send a message via MSN to Rusalka

Old 01-14-2009, 04:21 AM

Roleplay Guide

Welcome to the Roleplay Forum of Menewsha! If you are just starting out with roleplaying and do not know what to do feel free to ask a friend, roleplayers you see around (keep in mind to post in the OOC, or One on One Subforums, don't be posting in their Roleplay threads) or even I am here to help with the questions you might have.

Don't get discouraged if you're not as good as those you see here. Roleplayers aren't born as perfect as they seem, it's from long practice and work that they've become as good as they are. Keep at it and some day you too might be just as good or better! Watching them is also a very simple way to learn better styles and tips that you wouldn't learn on your own.

One last thing to this Introduction: Remember, it's a Roleplay. You're here to have fun and interact with others and their characters. Nothing about it should be unfun!! If it appears so perhaps it is best to move on to a different Roleplay with a kind note to your partner(s). Don't take things too seriously and do have fun!

Last edited by Rusalka; 01-14-2009 at 04:29 AM..

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 01-14-2009, 04:24 AM

Standard Information

What is Roleplaying?

Wikipedia Defines it as:

Quote:
In roleplaying, participants adopt and act out the role of characters, or parts, that may have personalities, motivations, and backgrounds different from their own. Roleplaying, also known as RP to some, is like being in an improvisational drama or free-form theater, in which the participants are the actors who are playing parts, and the audience.
Although this is a forum and you are definitely not on stage (for all I know – maybe you are while reading this), it is exactly that. You create a character that you would like to play and act out their role in the plot that you and your partner(s) have created. Your character will be interacting with the other characters and you all have the ability to do what you wish with the story through improvisation, reacting to each post to move the story along.

Anything is possible, because you are in charge.

Labels

There are many different labels used for different types of Roleplayers. They are not meant to be offensive at all, but to distinguish between different types of Roleplayers so that those with higher standards can get more what they want in a roleplay.

Illiterate: Usually beginners to roleplaying, they are known for very list like descriptions of characters such as:

Name: Kale
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Shoulder-length, brown.
Clothes: A simple T-shirt and jeans.
Etc.

There is usually little depth to these characters and the roleplay will consist of one-liners. They usually have little to no regards to proper punctuation, capitalization or grammar and OOC posts are normally indistinguishable from their posts until read.

Semi-Literate: Usually longer and more in depth descriptions that get into the character more. Usually the paragraph or two written may not be very intriguing or well written. Grammar may or may not be better than Illiterate.

Literate: Have longer introductions and posts that are both intriguing and descriptive. Their characters are realistic and are comparable to real counterparts that the reader is interested in reading about and not just interacting with. The writing is much more developed and the Grammar is intact.

Advanced: This is the person who specializes and making long and in depth posts that are both creative, and hooks the attention of the reader from the beginning. The grammar is nearly perfect and the writing more thought out.

Terms

There are different terms used by roleplayers, some of the more common ones are:

OOC: Stands for Out of Character, it's when you are speaking as yourself and not as your character. Generally posted between some sign to allow others to know that it is you that saying the words and has nothing to do with your character. These can include (( )), [ ], (OOC: ) and more as long as they stick out and it is made obvious from the beginning what you use for OOC posts.

Mary / Gary Sue:
These are the perfect characters, they have no flaws in no way, shape or form. These are generally frowned upon and many would not want to play with someone playing such a character as they are boring and does not make an interesting roleplay. Flaws and personality traits are what makes the roleplay interesting. They are commonly played by Illiterates and sometimes Semi-Literates.

Powerplay: Controlling someone else's character – This is not permitted, you are only allowed to control the actions of your own character.

Godmode: Creating unrealistic circumstances, or characters that can do anything.

Slash: Romantic relationships in the form of a fanfiction roleplay between already made characters that is not of the norm. (Ex. Harry/Snape)

MxM or FxF: Homosexual relationships between two characters

MxF: Heterosexual relationships between two characters

N00b: Someone who is new to roleplaying and illiterate and without mentor.

Newb: Someone who is well on their way working past Illiteracy but still needs practice. Often found in Semi-Literate roleplays.

Last edited by Rusalka; 01-14-2009 at 04:29 AM..

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 AM

General Rules to Roleplaying (Does not affect Main Rules for the site)

1)Spell Check your posts, typos aren't forbidden and they happen at the best of times. People don't want to read through a slew of typos however. Make an effort at clearing your post of them.
2)Do not use chatspeak. Not only is it annoying, but it is hard to read and no one will understand what you are trying to get across.
3)Post Length – quality is better than quantity of course, but put some effort in explaining your character so people get a feel for them. Not just how they look and feel, things like their personality, history, any flaws they might have shown in the post, stuff that makes them human (or whatever race your character is)
4)Use proper grammar.
5)Make your best effort to write intriguing and interesting posts. Learn from trying and you will succeed.
6)Be original. The same characters going around can be boring. If you see a genre you like and a thread is already made for the type of Roleplay you want try to join it, don't just make a duplicate because chances are people who would be interested are already part of the original thread and don't want to roleplay the same thing in two threads.

Pointers

1)Don't use asterisks (*) to roleplay, use formal writing while roleplaying
2)Structure sentences so they flow together.
3)Don't use words repeatedly.
4)Pay attention to other's posts.

Last edited by Rusalka; 01-14-2009 at 04:33 AM..

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 01-14-2009, 04:31 AM

Beginners Tips

1)If you're going to be starting off with a group roleplay, get a feel for the roleplay first. Perhaps read through some of the posts before deciding that's the one you want to join, realize what the other players might be expecting and judge if you are able to meet that expectation.

2)Keep your characters close, starting off you might want to have a character that doesn't mimic yourself but have it close enough that you are able to keep up with the character. Starting out with a flamboyant character that you may find it difficult to start out with something so different from yourself.

3)Give your character a history. Your character isn't newly born in the roleplay, even if it was just created by you. Where did he/she come from? What events shaped his/her personality? How would he/she react to common situations that they may be facing in the game?

4)Be moddest when creating your character. Do not make them too strong or too weak, both instances will make a short and boring roleplay. Give your characters strengths and weaknesses, both fitting with their history. This will offer situations that your character can overcome when it comes up in roleplay.

5)Familiarize yourself with your character. You want to know how your character will react in those unpredictable situations. It's often split second decisions, but back up as to why they would react in such a way rather than just going with the flow. It might be something similar would happen again and yet not remembering why they reacted that way the first time you would make them react the complete opposite the next time.

6)Do not be too explicit with your character. Don't tell your life story at the beginning of the roleplay like you don't tell your life story to strangers. This way your character can mold to fit the roleplay as well as giving the readers something to look forward to in learning about your character.

7)Make your character sociable. This is rather obvious. If your character is a loner who avoids all contact, who roams the forest alone or sits atop a tree contemplating the meaning of life the roleplay would be dull and have little interest to others. Part of roleplaying is interacting with other characters and keep things interesting.

8)Wait actively. This is the hardest thing to learn to do. You have to learn to get involved with the story and not wait around for the others to add in plot twists. If you have an idea that works with the situation you are in, work it into your posts, make that idea happen.

9)Finally. Ask questions. If you don't know what's going on, or need help with understanding something don't be afraid to look stupid. It's better to ask questions than looking stupid because you hadn't asked questions.

Final Notes:

Roleplaying isn't just with yourself, you must realize you have to keep the other player(s) feelings at hand.

1)Don't be a jerk because you can. No one appreciates this and no one will want to roleplay with you.

2)Don't allow others to be jerks to you. You don't have to put up with it and if you ask them to stop and they don't you don't have to continue to play with them.

3)Roleplays won't be all rainbows and sunshines. The driving force of all stories is conflict, without conflict you have no story and the roleplay will get boring and no one would want to play. Everyone should agree with the direction of a plotline however and everyone should all be able to escape from the conlflict gracefully.

Last edited by Rusalka; 01-14-2009 at 04:34 AM..

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 01-14-2009, 04:32 AM

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

- To be Added, when questions are received.

rainbowcookies
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-01-2009, 06:50 AM

your guide is really helpful to me.:)

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 11-06-2009, 06:31 AM

Glad that you found it helpful!

RainbowRose
Full-Time Real-Life Mary Sue

Old 11-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Question(two)! Is there a limit of how many open roleplay threads you can have at a time? When there is, how many open roleplay threads CAN you have at a time?

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 PM

There is no Limit of how many roleplay threads that you can have. The only limitation is in the One on One requests forum where it is requested that you keep to one Request thread.

Synthetika
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 PM

>.> ok so Question!

Im working on a one on one RP for me and my friend and it has taken a while for it to really get started i thought we would be starting it sooner but she got busy, anyways we're working on characters and everything right now to start it up... to my question!

I thought when i first posted it i had gotten gold but now when im editing it i added on a little bit and it wont do anything so then i took out my little note to my friend at the bottom and it didnt take anything away so is gold earning disabled from this thread I didnt think i read anything about it

sorry i ask retarded questions <3

Havoc
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-30-2009, 04:51 AM

i have a question

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 12-30-2009, 06:32 AM

Syn; No, gold earning is enabled in every forum except word games. If you had a post longer than 20g worth and editted out something, it might have still equaled 20g so it wouldn't remove anything.

Havoc; What's your question then?

Airane.Adventures
Around The World
Send a message via AIM to Airane.Adventures

Old 01-01-2010, 04:22 AM

This is extremely helpful. I've done some writing, but I've never roleplayed.
What's the easiest way I can find someone to one-on-one practice with?

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 01-01-2010, 05:42 AM

Simply go into one on one requests and hopefully someone will come along and help you learn. :D

Airane.Adventures
Around The World
Send a message via AIM to Airane.Adventures

Old 01-01-2010, 07:14 AM

Thank you!

K-chan10307
Resident Nom-er >:D
Send a message via MSN to K-chan10307

Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 AM

I have a question!

I have an RP on another site that is kind of slow and I want to try the idea here. The idea is solely mine. Can I copy and paste it from the other site onto here? It's a pretty long introduction post.

Mobsy
A Lucky Leprechaun

Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 PM

=3 This is really helpful. Thank you so much! :heart:

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-chan10307 View Post
I have a question!

I have an RP on another site that is kind of slow and I want to try the idea here. The idea is solely mine. Can I copy and paste it from the other site onto here? It's a pretty long introduction post.
I'm sorry for not replying to you sooner!
If it is your work you can bring it over here, just remember that you can't bring over the actual posts made within the RP, just the setup. :yes:

Aaeza; glad to be of help!

Bell
Love is watching someone die. [W...

Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 PM

I have a question as well.
I'd call myself considerably semi-literate (took at least 7 years for me to consider myself even at that level) and I would like to know some difficult ways of challenging myself so that maybe one day I could be thought of as "literate."

And I have one more question.
When I do find myself in a literate rp, I often discover myself strewing together a string of complicated descriptive words just to impress the others. But as I do so, I loose the flow of my post and all the words seem awkward.
How can I make myself appear more literate without pulling out the dictionary every time I post?

Thank you so much~
Bell

Last edited by Bell; 01-27-2010 at 10:54 PM..

CelesSetzer
The Pie Eating Ninja
Send a message via MSN to CelesSetzer

Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 AM

Is there a way to rename your topic, and if so, how? Thankies ^^

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Yes, go to the first post, then click the "Edit" button. Then click "Go Advanced" and you'll be able to edit the title there.

Alternatively, you can double click next to your thread name in the forum and you'll get an edit box right there. :D

CelesSetzer
The Pie Eating Ninja
Send a message via MSN to CelesSetzer

Old 02-18-2010, 06:19 AM

AWESOME! Thanks ^^

kikotia
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to kikotia

Old 03-06-2010, 06:39 AM

This is really helpful, thanks so much!

CrownofEblan
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 AM

Question:

If you've already adressed this, I apologize for reposting it again, but I was wondering if it was okay to post an OOC thread for toleplay plotting persons if you have two or three (or more) people who are trying to organize and 'lead a roleplay'. Like, a thread to iron out the wrinkles in the storyline/plot/mechanics and discuss requirements in app. skeletons and such.

I just didn't want to start a thread that shouldn't be started on accident from ignorance. And thank you in advance for answering my question!

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 PM

@CrownofEblan ~ :) It's fine. Roleplay plotting threads can be placed in the OOC Topics Forum.