psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-20-2007, 11:24 PM

42. Mistletoe Part I (Well, I figured it was only appropriate to post a mistletoe drabble in the Christmas season. xD)

"Mistletoe? What's that?"

Missy looked incredulous. "Sellah, you're kidding, right?"

Sellah sighed. She knew that this was going to turn into one of those "are you sure you're a normal girl?" conversations. She picked up her embroidery and turned to the window.

"Sellah!" Missy's voice was accusatory now. Sellah was then suddenly embraced from behind. "You poor child."

Sellah sighed. "Yes, Missy, I'm a poor, deprived child who was obviously raised by wolves or worse to not know what mistletoe is."

Missy released Sellah and blinked innocently as if she hadn't been a breath away from accusing Sellah of such.

"Well, what is it? Since I suppose I've got to know to understand this ridiculous plan of yours to fool some lord."

Missy's face lit up and she giggled almost conspiratorially. "Well, you see, it's this lovely little plant--I actually think it's ugly, no pretty flowers whatsoever! But it's lovely because of its tradition."

"Which is?"

"That when two people are beneath it together, they must kiss!" She began to giggle again. Sellah sighed and mused that it sounded like a plotter's evil laughter.

"The poor boys." Sellah shook her head.

"What do you mean 'the poor boys'? They exploit it just as much as us or more so!"

Sellah rolled her eyes. "I don't think I'll ever understand your crowd, Missy."

Missy stuck her tongue out impishly.

"But what was this plan you wanted to tell me about?"

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-20-2007, 11:35 PM

42. Mistletoe Part II

"I don't believe I'm doing this," Sellah muttered to the empty air. She was standing behind an snow laden tree, keeping watch for Missy's plan. Missy had absolutely insisted that she help, since everyone else wanted to watch the actual kiss.

Sellah shook her head. She felt sorry for the poor boy. To look up and find oneself suddenly obliged to kiss the other standing next to him just seemed a bit cruel. She supposed that it might be nice at times, but it seemed a very silly way to get a kiss from a crush.

The girl Nancy was across the frozen pond and was dancing back and forth on her feet nervously. She was supposed to be enjoying the winter scenery when Lord Frederick happened to pass in the company of one of her friends. Her friend would hail her and they would converse for awhile, and then her friend would hurry off saying that she had some appointment or another, and that she didn't need Lord Frederick to accompany her, but she would much rather him stay with her friend. And then the two would converse some more and then Nancy would make some remark about how pretty the sky was, and they would both then look up--and voila! Mistletoe! And then they'll kiss.

Sellah shook her head. She still wasn't quite sure how she got dragged into this whole mess.

And there was Frederick and lady so and so, right on schedule. She still wasn't sure why she had to keep watch. It didn't really make much sense--

"Why hello there. Fancy seeing you here, Sellah."

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-21-2007, 01:20 AM

42. Mistletoe Part III

Sellah whirled around in surprise. It was the stranger who had winked at her in the cafe. He was very refined and elegant looking even with his silky silver hair tousled by the wind. Missy and her circle would die for a word from him, but unlike most of their fancies, this one actually talked. He didn't spout flatteries and complements to win her over like the rest of them; nor did he patronize her like a young girl. He treated her like a person. She rather liked him.

"Hello..."

She didn't remember his name.

Sellah cursed inwardly. How could she be so silly to be swept away by such things like the way his hair swept across his face and the amused light in his dark eyes to forget something so very simple as his name? She wanted to bash her head on the tree. She wasn't like those other girls. Things like that weren't supposed to affect her like this.

However, the stranger didn't seem to notice anything amiss in the simple hello.

"So how have you been?" The stranger leaned against the tree casually.

"Well, thank you." She nodded.

The stranger smiled.

It was awkward. The conversation had died in a mere three sentences. Sellah was wondering why this was so difficult. She normally didn't have any trouble speaking with boys. She had never really been awkward with them; then again, she had never really flirted either. Not that she was flirting now, it was taking every ounce of her self possession to be normal.

The silence drew on and Sellah cast about for something else to talk about. She desperately threw out the last line she ever wanted to say.

"The weather's nice today."

She looked up to the bright blue sky and the sun that made the snow sparkle and wanted to melt into the ground. She could not believe she had just said that. She could not. She could not...

He wasn't answering. Perhaps he was thinking that she was just an airhead. Perhaps he would quietly slink away, disgusted with her ineptitude in small talk and leave her alone to die in peace.

"Hey."

No such luck.

"Look up."

Sellah turned around confused. She had been looking up.

"Over here."

She walked closer and looked up at the tree's branches.

This was not happening.

She looked at the stranger with an expression of pure shock on her face.

"Mistletoe." He grinned and kissed her.

d2hiriyuu
(。・ω・&...

Old 12-22-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyrien
RANDOM - Here and There

I should be happy to come home. It's home. I'm going to see all my old friends again. I'll be with my family. It's home, right? I left a part of myself there.

But I'm finding that I left a part of myself here as well.

I didn't just leave on a vacation. It's not like I can leave this place and never return without any regrets. I've suddenly found that I'm attached to the place. It was in this place that I found a new sort of family and that together we braved the cold, drama, ear piercings, and never ending quest of finding good food. We bonded, and it's something that I just can't leave alone. A part of me feels very much like it got left there as well.

And so my heart is split in two. There are two homes. Perhaps this is a good thing, for some say more is better. But then there is also the pain that comes when I leave one for the other. And I feel like I'm betraying the other as I come and go. It's silly, I know, but I can't help it.

I just miss it.
I feel the same way, part of me wants desperately to return, yet at the same time I am enjoying time here.

I feel the adaptation different, and the difference in te different environments. By the way the space in between us is how I feel about someone right now, why msut feelings return while "home"

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-22-2007, 07:10 AM

*glomps d2hiriyuu* It's weird, yeah? I thought I wouldn't really miss college, but as soon as I stepped on the plane, I was like fresca, sam's room, twin, FVII~ And I almost felt like crying. It felt silly.

I wrote The Space between us as a sort of exaggeration of how I feel about someone. It's like there's something there, but I just sorta go on and elaborate a bit. A lot of my stuff is taken off of real instances but tweaked and exaggerated here and there.

...which means that these drabbles are actually very revealing. >_@ But oh well. There here if the world wants them.

Besides, they'll have to find the real ones in the midst of all the made up ones. ^_~

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-22-2007, 07:15 AM

8. "I love you." <-HAH. It's no longer RANDOM! It actually fit into a theme! Buwahahaha. xD

"Why didn't you tell me?"

But I did tell you. I told you when I stood close to you. I told you when I looked up at the sound of your voice. I told you when I shyly brushed my hand against yours. I told you when I wanted to reach out and just take you in my arms. I told you in the way I would suddenly pause when you passed by. I told you when I followed you up to the roof even though it was forbidden and I was scared out of my mind.

I told you in so many ways, yet you were deaf to them all.

And I cannot tell you in the way that you want to hear.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-22-2007, 07:35 AM

RANDOM

It's so careless the way we pass each other by. There are so many strangers I walk by everyday. They mean nothing to me and I nothing to them. We don't say hello or even smile at each other. There is nothing between us--there is no distance between us and there is still nothing. We could brush each other in the crowd--touch--and they would still be nothing.

It's the way it is for who has the time to fall in love with every stranger. We are determined to keep them at arm's length, far away so that we won't fall in love with them. For, if we do, we must care. And we don't want that. Caring is too troublesome. Who needs another needy soul to think about?

But we let these things slip by so carelessly. One never knows what that stranger may be to them--a dear friend, a constant enemy, a sweet lover--not strangers.

But we continue to walk down the streets, eyes fixed ahead and mouths set in stern lines, not a smile to spare. We are determined to remain strangers.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-22-2007, 07:54 AM

RANDOM - We should be lovers~

"Let's be lovers."

Aria blinked, stunned.

"Let's share this delicious secret together. Why? You ask me why? Well, for the hell of it, of course!"

Aria blinked again. She had not asked why. Her eyes were simply wide with confusion. "But--"

"Yes! So we don't even like each other! But that's the fun of it, don't you see?" He gripped her shoulders and his eyes danced with a mad light. "The world wouldn't suspect it at all!"

"Because it's absurd." Aria had finally found her voice.

"Exactly!"

Aria lowered her eyebrows. "I'm sorry sir--"

"You must call me Damien now that we are to be lovers," he insisted not even listening to her.

"Well, Damien then, I don't understand what you're getting at. You think we should be lovers simply because it's unexpected? Simply because we hate each other?"

"Yes! Isn't it splendid?" He seemed to truly believe the idea.

"It is incomprehensible."

He was humming to himself and halfway to dancing on the garden walk.

Aria shook her head. Damien could just be so silly sometimes. "Sir--I mean Damien, you don't understand--"

He whirled around and caught her hands in his own. "What do you mean I don't understand, love? Do you require a kiss as proof?"

She leaned back to avoid him. "Gah. No. You don't seem to understand that I don't understand why in the world we should be lovers."

Damien blinked this time.

However, he seemed to recover quickly. "But love! Don't you hear all those stories about couples who hate each other and turn out lovers?"

"I think they go through a bit of a different process than this."

"But see, I think it's bound to happen with us, so I'll save us the effort and pronounce us lovers!" He seemed positively triumphant.

Aria sighed in exasperation.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-23-2007, 09:56 AM

RANDOM

You try to be polite. You try to do the right thing. You make the effort, but you just don't follow through. It's not because you don't want to--it's just awkward. You don't know how. You don't know what to do.

But it's not uncomfortable--this silence. I like eating without having to bother with making conversation. It just takes too much effort. It distracts. I like to actually eat my food and actually converse. I don't like living in this half place where I am to only be partially satisfied with both.

Don't get me wrong. I like you. You're a nice person, but let's be honest. We aren't really friends. We just aren't that close. We don't have many conversations besides those necessary ones like "thank you"'s, "hello"'s, and "good bye"'s. It's nothing personal.

It's just not personal.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-23-2007, 10:18 AM

RANDOM

It's draining. One doesn't realize it, but these small repetitive tasks take their toll. Just the standing tires one out. Really, it shouldn't be hard. It's not actual work; one doesn't have to physically exert oneself; one doesn't have to think. It's brainless stuff that just about anyone could do.

But it saps the life out of you.

...Maybe it's some weird conspiracy. Maybe they're secretly leeching your life away while you pack hamburgers and count change. Maybe you're really selling your soul...

And now I think that it's a little too late at night and I'm feeling vengeful towards my workplace. xD

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2007, 12:59 AM

RANDOM

I sit on stage and listen to my family give testimony. I listen to the pastor confirm everything and paint the picture of a nice, Christian family that's involved. After hearing the rest of my family's stories, I suppose you could now call us such. It's funny how hardships suddenly make one included.

But however you look at it, I'm not a part of that family. I'm not a part of that pretty little picture of the family loving God and going to church and talking to everyone. It's just not me.

I am a Christian. It's just that I'm not involved. I have faith, but I don't really do much extravagance about it. I do things. I just don't go up on stage and talk about it. And it's small. There really isn't much to talk about.

And I guess I could sorta talk if I had to, but I wouldn't be saying what they'd want to hear. I would completely ruin the image of that nice, little family surviving through everything because they're involved in church.

Given the choice, I don't go to church. I think it's proof enough that when I'm on the mainland and not forced to go by my parents that I don't go. It's not just that I don't have time, even though I really don't. But if it was something that I really wanted to do, I would make time.

But I don't. And I guess it just goes to show where my priorities lie.

But I do believe. That is how I survive. I just have this intrinsic belief that I will always be taken care of because I am his and that I will always get out of things okay. It doesn't mean that life will be perfect or that nothing bad will happen. It just means I'll be able to get through it. Somehow.

God is there.

But yeah. What was I supposed to say on stage? I don't go to church because I have so much work and then make like it's a happy ending and pretend to have seen the error in my ways? I can't lie. I really didn't want to be misrepresented, but this was important to my family. I would be letting them down in a way to say what I wanted to say.

So I kept silent.

I wonder if I was right...

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2007, 01:11 AM

RANDOM

I didn't see you today. The day had began with such a high expectation. I thought that I would finally be able to see you again and perhaps "show you up." I wanted to catch your eye and give you this cocky look saying "hey you, look at me now!"

And of course, I saw not a hide or hair of you.

It was sorely disappointing. I had so missed you. For goodness sakes, I think I even dreamt of you! Albeit it was probably a very silly dream for I don't quite remember it, but it was still a dream. And dreams are suppressed wishes and fears. My dream of you was probably both. I want to see you again, but I don't know what will come after I make my grand entrance. I haven't planned past my very socially adept smile and laugh at a distance to catch your eye. The actual conversation is beyond my wildest dreams. I would like to catch your eye as a beautiful stranger and then disappear to have you pinning after me...

Yes, I'm overly romantic and very silly, I know. But perhaps I'm being petty and want something of a vengeance for I have longed after you for many years now.

I think there's a part of me that falls in love to easily and just doesn't know how to stop or go forward. The beginning part feels nice, but I know the middle is bumpy and so I stop. I simply stand at that part at the path, not moving. I'll never know what lies ahead, and after awhile the beauty of that place fades and I become desolate. But I'm frozen. I can't move on. I cling hopelessly to the wintering garden.

Perhaps someday I'll leave that garden, but until that person comes I'll stay here. It's not so horrible of a place to wait.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2007, 01:18 AM

RANDOM

Oh, lover! I will cover you.

The happiness in the song overrides my senses like a drug and makes me giddy. I want to skip down the streets and hum the tune with my arms linked to--

And then I come to the sad realization that I have no lover.

How disastrous! How am I to leap and prance about in joy and love? How am I to walk down the streets and grin ear to ear just because I'm in love? How am I to burst spontaneously into song with my dear intended?

Oh! What am I to do? The stranger on the street simply will not do. I can't clasp his hands and spin about in a circle. He will stare! Oh the tragedy!

I must find a love!

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2007, 01:42 AM

RANDOM

It's a stupid nervous feeling. Choking up. You really do choke up. I'd always thought it was just a saying, but it's a physical reality.

It's like this strange feeling starts flowing through your veins. It's all over you--inside of you, so you can't just shake it off. It feels like the only way to get rid of it is to exit it from your body. You feel yourself instinctively making the feeling crawl up your throat and it tingles. Your throat constricts in discomfort.

You cough, but it won't go away, and you choke up. It's not just a saying. It's real.

d2hiriyuu
(。・ω・&...

Old 12-24-2007, 07:18 AM

I like the nervous feeling, I don't like it, but at times I just happen to have it alot...

Where does all the random parts come from?

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 AM

The random things are sometimes my thoughts, sometimes uberly huge tangents of my thoughts with drastic exaggerations and elaborations. Some of it is just thinking. Some are satirical and some are reflective. ...they're basically just random. xD

It's what I label a drabble when I want to write something that's on my mind but am too lazy to classify. Thus, it gets the general all purpose titling of RANDOM.

...The church one was actually a real event that happened today. ...I was gonna post it on lj, but I was like, hey, I'll get gold on mene for that! xD And believe me, I need the money after going through those christmas commons. <_< So yeah, I posted it here.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2007, 10:05 AM

RANDOM - Because I love you...

Because I love you I will do anything for you.
I will pull down the moon
I will catch a falling star
And give it to you as an offering
I will climb unknown mountains
And name them for you.

I will venture in to hell
I will sell my soul
To the highest bidder all in your name
I will compete and win any and all trials
And give you the prize.

I will stand by your side
I will defend you
When the whole world finds you wrong
I will remain loyal
And never betray you.

I will remain in the shadows
I will never beg for your attention
I'm simply grateful for the fleeting glance you toss me
I will wait for you forever...
Unnoticed.
Unheard.
Unthought of.

Because I love you
These things I will do.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2007, 10:34 PM

2. Roses Part I

She was running out the door down the steps, if he didn't move now she would be gone forever. He crashed through the door after her and jumped down the flight of stairs and tackled her in a bear hug.

"Don't leave." It was a frantic, desperate whisper in her ear. There was nothing commanding about it. It was desolate and beseeching.

That didn't seem to undo her in the slightest. She wrenched out of his grasp and whirled angrily at him.

"Stop it. You just don't get it, do you? It's over. Leave me alone."

He looked at her face that had looked upon him with such affection and adoration before now twisted up in an ugly grimace. Her features were still lovely, but the emotion that poured out from her was raw and untempered--an ugly beast.

"But I--"

"Don't you dare say it!" she hissed in a tone as desperate as his.

"--brought you roses." He half lifted the bouquet in gesticulation.

She blinked and began to laugh in an almost maniacal tone. "Roses? You brought me roses?" She shook her head. "You can''t even say the right words." She patted his cheek; her eyes were gentle for a moment, but the moment passed too quickly and they hardened again. "I have to leave you."

"But I brought you roses!" He argued as if this were a valid argument--an argument that should convince her to turn around and leap back into his arms.

"I don't care about the bloody roses!" She turned around and threw the words at his face. And there was something about that statement that created a finality of the conversation. The boy had lost.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2007, 10:40 PM

2. Roses Part II

He was a romantic--a true romantic. He was very much that boy who would drop his whole life for love. But he was subtle. He would plan and plot so that things had hidden meanings. There were reasons behind everything he did; symbols for all his gifts.

Of course, the girls just thought that he was a sweet boy who knew his flowers. They didn't think anything of the layered meanings. None he loved were deep enough to comprehend him. For him to make a lover of anyone was a difficult thing for no one could match him.

That same boy sat on the steps and watched his love leave him. He held a beautiful bouquet of roses.

"Roses mean I love you..."

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-24-2007, 11:34 PM

RANDOM - Muses

Muses are wonderful things that us artists like to think of as simply disembodied voices running amok in our heads. We like to think that they’re our inspirations. It isn’t the voices that are talking—it’s the muses.

As for the muse, it can take form in just about anything. There were animal muses, human muses, spirit muses, and one can’t forget the actual muses. In Greek legend (it could be Roman since I always get the two mixed up, but I’m pretty sure it’s Greek), there were actually goddesses called Muses. Artists would invoke them at the beginning of a work to procure their blessing. An example of this is in the [i]Odyssey[/i[. In the very beginning, Homer invokes the muse of epics.

Today muses aren’t quite the same thing, but they still are similar. An artist draws upon his or her muse for inspiration whether it be for writing, drawing, or even composing epics.

They also don’t have to be goddesses, but can be original characters, characters owned by someone else, real people, gods, pets, etc.

My current main muse is called Demetri/Delec/Demi. He’s a rare case for me because he’s actually based on a real person. I usually have original characters or personified qualities (such as “Beauty” or “Love”) as muses, but I couldn’t help that the real boy had such pretty, pretty hair. xD

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-25-2007, 01:51 AM

20. Fairy tale Part I

Once upon a time there was a young girl named Anise. She was a quiet girl that didn't get along so well with the other children. They all called her snobbish because of it, but it wasn't true. Anise was simply shy.

But she didn't mind that the other children stayed away from her. She liked being on her own in the garden. She liked growing flowers and soon her talent was recognized and many came to admire her garden. Girls would beg for a bloom for their hair, and boys would seek her advice on which bouquet to give to their intended. Anise didn't mind it. She decided it was rather nice to be around people every so often.

Anise scarcely knew it, but she grew up. Boys now looked at her differently and would often come to ask for advice on flowers just as an excuse to talk to her. Girls would simper and praise her, trying to get on her good side, or they would shun her as competition. Anise noticed none of this. She simply worked in garden.

And then there was a ball to be held. The prince was to be married and the political advisors thought that it would be a great show of unity if the prince were to marry a commoner.

Girls stopped by oftener now, avidly discussing the flowers and if they could have some for their hair or gowns. Boys came to see if she would be in attendance. Anise told them that she may or may not go, depending on her mood--she really wasn't a party person.

A royal enquirer even stopped by one day. He wished to know if she would sell some flowers to him. Anise replied that it could be done, but she would need to take care of the other orders first. He asked her if she wouldn't move his order up since it was for royalty. Anise said that she couldn't do that. It wasn't right. Royalty or not, there was order. There was a funny look on the man's face, but it vanished as quickly as it came. He had almost seemed pleased with her, but she wasn't sure.

d2hiriyuu
(。・ω・&...

Old 12-25-2007, 06:41 AM

Soo, I like roses alot, I don't know why, maybe cause i might know someone like that, maybe it is just cute. Either way, I like the story.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-25-2007, 07:34 AM

20. Fairy tale Part II

The man returned again the next day. He didn't beg her to move up his order but simply leaned on the fence and talked with her. And when there was no conversation, he simply watched her work.

This went on for many days, and he would always watch her. She asked him why he did so, and he told her that she had a joy when she worked that he found remarkable. He said he thought he was falling in love with her. He wanted to know if she would be attending the ball.

Anise was surprised, but it wasn't a new confession. There had been several boys who had told her they were in love with her. She had turned all of them down. What could she do? She didn't find anything interesting about them. She hadn't felt any sort of attraction towards any of them.

Besides she didn't even know how to accept a confession. The boys always looked so crestfallen after, but what else could she do?

She opened her mouth to refuse him when a very strange thing happened.

The world seemed to freeze and everything was frozen in place. She was moving about in a world where there was nothing but her and her garden. Her garden itself was behaving oddly. It was as if the flowers were moving on their own. Their shapes were changing. There seemed to be tiny people emerging--tiny, flower like people.

"You can't keep turning the world away, Anise." One of the tiny people who had previously been a pink lilac spoke to her.

Anise looked confused. "But I haven't been turning away anyone."

"Yes, you have. You have been turning away each and every person who comes to this fence. You have chosen us instead of them. And Anise, we are flattered by your choice, but you cannot have only us."

"What do you mean?"

"Smile at the boy and tell him you'll attend the ball."

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-25-2007, 07:57 AM

20. Fairy tale Part III

It was the day of the ball.

Anise didn't know why in the world she had agreed to come. She wasn't even going with him. He had simply smiled back and said he would see her there. And then she hadn't seen him since.

She didn't even know what she would be doing about the ball. She had nothing to wear and no way to get there. She supposed she could simply turn up by the gates and say she had been there but missed him. She hadn't told anyone else she was going, and if she did that she would have kept her word.

She sighed and looked at her flowers mistrustfully. They would know. They would torment her for it. After her flowers had done that strange trick the other day, she found it difficult to slip into that old peace that she had in her garden before.

The sun was beginning to set and she heard a chime in the air.

It is time.

"Oh not again."

The world seemed to go quiet again and the strange flower people emerged. "Do not worry about your garb, Anise. You have cared for us for your whole life. It is our turn to care for you."

"Oh!" She gasped. Suddenly she was gowned in the most lovely dress. It had the texture of a flower petal and the deep colors of the most gorgeous flowers. There was a garland of blooms crowning her hair and a sweeping train behind her.

"Walk with us, Anise." The flower people beckoned her.

She took a step and there was a whirl of flower petals. The petals formed a bridge through the air. Anise looked at it uncertainly.

"It will bear your weight. Worry not, Anise."

She stepped. She didn't fall. A smile lit her face and she walked on air. The walk should have been long, but it seemed like only a few paces. And it was the most wonderful magical feeling in the world. Carriages stopped by the ending of the path and people gawked at the girl walking on air. A few tried the bridge themselves, but they had much less than graceful experiences.

She touched down in the palace garden amidst a crowd of people. They simply stared. Anise felt shy again.

And then she heard a voice in her ear.

"We're here with you, Anise."

She reached up and touched the garland and smiled.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 12-25-2007, 09:04 PM

20. Fairy tale Part IV

Anise was greeted by many stranger who complimented her. She smiled and would have disagreed with them, but the flowers hissed at her their rebukes. "Smile and graciously and accept their compliments!"

And it was like that all night long. Whenever she found herself floundering in social ineptitude, the flowers instructed her. And it wasn't just the flowers in her garland. The flowers decorating the palace and flowers in ladies' hair and in men's jackets all instructed her as well.

The night wore on, but she still never saw the man who stopped by her garden.

Anise shrugged it off. It wasn't really important, but it irritated her slightly. He was the only reason she came. Well, that and the flowers. But without seeing him there wasn't much purpose in her being her. She didn't care about princes and whatnot.

"Make way! Make way! The prince is come!"

Anise picked up her skirts and squished uncomfortably with the rest of the crowd to create a wide walkway for the coming royalty. There was a great show of splendor. There were lords and ladies walking in procession and guards around him. They stopped in the middle and the entourage split to reveal the young prince.

The boy was pretty, quite like a flower, Anise observed. However, she didn't see why all of the girls seemed to swoon instantly. The prince started walking towards her, no, not towards her, simply forwards. And then Anise gasped.

It was the royal enquiry.

But he wasn't a royal enquiry.

Anise was confused.

"Will you dance with me?"