Projectwolfie
Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:20 PM

Who's guilty of judging by such?

I've learned one thing over time: the more you learn about the music people listen to, the more you learn about the person in general. That said, I don't really judge people according to their music. At least in a negative fashion. I do use those tastes to sort of get an idea of what a person is like though; I tend to ask "what's your favorite band" as my first question when meeting someone.

ZoSo_Fanatic
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 PM

I have a friend who loves Nirvana and music like Pink Floyd's Animals. He is a very political person. Another friend of mine listens to anything, including the mediocre groups such as Brokencyde, and he is a very out-going person who doesn't really care about much. A third friend listens to a lot of southern rock (not good southern rock, mind you) and he acts like a drunk, redneck bigot who goes to honky tonks (not that listening to southern rock makes you seem like that).

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...
Send a message via AIM to Vix Viral Send a message via MSN to Vix Viral

Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 PM

I think more people judge others based on their musical tastes than we would think. I actually read an article online a few weeks ago where a dating site had polled it's members and asked if a person's musical tastes were a deal breaker and most of them said that it would be. Personally, I definitely believe that you can learn a lot about someone depending on their musical preferences. I think it's pretty much common sense that music can say things for us that we can't say ourselves.

That being said, if someone's favorite bands mesh with mine, we tend to get along wonderfully. If they listen to what I think of as shit, they tend to have personalities that either clash directly with mine or are people pleasers who bend over backwards for everyone and I am incapable of respecting them as people. It's pretty spot on.

Saisei
Flying close to the sun on wings...
Send a message via ICQ to Saisei Send a message via AIM to Saisei Send a message via MSN to Saisei Send a message via Yahoo to Saisei

Old 10-09-2011, 02:31 AM

I was just contemplating this question when I looked at my top 10 artists on LastFM. :)

Gaga, Adele, NIN, Fiona Apple, SoaD, Fall Out Boy, Stephen Lynch, Panic at the Disco, Weird Al, and Barenaked Ladies...

Elluh
(╯°□°)╯...

Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 PM

Back in middle school, I thought I was "hardcore"
for listening to music I didn't understand. And thought
it was okay to judge people for their tastes in music
and not for the person they are. Horrible little creature.

I'm glad to say much has changed since then and now
I don't really care what people listen to because
music is something we can all enjoy. Regardless
of what genre it is. Though its nice meeting
people with different tastes in music rather
than the usual "0mG, tH@T$ so HXC~! Bring me
the horizonn~!" I feel so odd sometimes, I've
never heard more than half of the bands I see now.
Let alone read their name on a tshirt..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 PM

I would only judge if some big muscular guy with tattoos and a Harley was singing the "my little pony" theme song... :lol: I listen to some pretty weird stuff so anything but that would seem perfectly normal to me.

Draciolus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 AM

Yeah, I listen to damn near anything except rap and hip hop....and people always get it wrong when they try and think of what type of music I listen to. According to some people I know, gamers only listen to rap....they don't know me at all. :cry:

But I do sometimes judge people by the music they listen to. Regretfully, it probably the reason that I am still single. I try not to judge them, but sometimes I just have the go "Seriously?!" and then go on a little rant. :ninja:

ChiNoMizuumi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 PM

Hahaha I've personally been judged for my music countless time xD.... Although they didn't believe it at first... :ninja: I'm generally a calm, nice person, and I rarely go ninja on someone unless they try to attack me or my friends physically/verbally. So, when I told people that I liked metal... HOOO BOY... guess who lost all her friends? XD...

People judge the character of a person by their music tastes way too much. There's always some degree of stereotypes being correct in some assumption, but not all.

Generally, I try not to judge the person based on music, but I end up doing it anyway because I find that it sometimes defines their character.
When I say that I like Avenged Sevenfold and the other person likes Justin Beiber, chances are that we won't get along AT ALL because of the way said person acts. Sometimes, music is good judge of character, but only for some things >.>";;
I feel like a hypocrite for saying that but still XD... That's how it is, to an extent.

Explodey
rock is dead.long live scissors!

Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 PM

My tastes have always run too obscure for most of my friends, so I like to find fellow weirdos.

Nonsensical
Keeper of Keeps

Old 10-15-2011, 02:12 AM

I don't think I judge people by what they like or what I think they'd like... =/ I'm not really good with pegging genres anyways. XD Like, I always think rock music should be more badass and some of the country music is more pop.

Warrow8282
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 PM

It's pretty ridiculous to try to actually judge a person by what their tastes in music are, you can be surprised... Although I do see a lot of stereotypes out there. You know "If you listen to rap, you're a gangster or hoodlum", "if you listen to country you're a hick", "If you listen to Beiber, you're a teeny-bopper" (wait... that last one...) Sorry... I guess I do judge people by the music they listen to. LOL.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 10-19-2011, 01:41 AM

I have quite varied taste in music. I'll sing along to Kpop and Glee covers, and that's what I'll listen to most, but two of my favourite bands are Relient K and the Foo Fighters. Also, I'd rather listen to screamo than rap, but I'll still listen to either. I just don't have a particular taste in music, and will enjoy just about anything as long as it doesn't bore me.

That being said, I still judge people on their music tastes. Especially if they say they really like Justin Beiber or Miley Cyrus or something like that. Then I'll just assume that they're immature and/or shallow. It's just the automatic reaction.

Warrow8282
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-19-2011, 04:30 AM

*Hugs Carzeebear* Exactly... natural reaction... it can't be helped :-)

Draciolus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-19-2011, 05:30 AM

You know...I would have to agree about the natural reaction...and making fun of the singer themselves.

The kitchen I work in is VERY guilty of making fun of Selena Gomez, since she came in for lunch Monday. We were all sitting there laughing the whole afternoon, and pretty much trying to forget that we were bored out of our minds the whole lunch rush(only served like 15 people). Hell, even today people were still making fun of it all. xD

NeuzaKC
Stan.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM

I judge people by their music taste. Oh hell yes I do. For example, Draciolus up there said "I listen to everything except rap" and THAT is a red flag all around, I can't help but think "LOL loser" whenever I read that. Don't get me wrong, but so many people say they listen to everything... Except rap. What the fuck is that all about?! It's just... No. I'd rather not even go there. Mainly because the majority of people who say this are the ones who say "Rap is Retards Attempting Poetry", and I can't help but to want to rip their heads out of their ignorant asses and shake their brain in search for even ONE possible synapse. I can never find one. Ever.

If someone ONLY listens to metal, or listens to My Chemical Romance and THINKS that's metal... HAHAHAHAHAHA no child, no. Variety is key here, I don't judge people because they listen to metal. I judge because they "only listen" to metal.

Also Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, and so on and so on... I will also stare at them in silent judgement through my computer screen. Or someone else's.

So yes, I judge a lot.

Projectwolfie

Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM

(Sorry about being inactive for a bit... my computer was a bit of an idiot while configuring it, took a while to get things back to normal.)

I do actually agree with some of what Neuza and Vix Viral said; I may not judge people by music (well, I guess maybe a tiny bit self-consciously after reading some of these replies XD), but I do note that things tend to go south eventually when I'm talking with someone who's into only one genre or is that "everything but rap or country" type. Also, funnily enough coming from someone who likes his metal... someone who *only* listens to metal grinds my gears a lot. Nothing wrong if it's a favorite genre, but ONLY one type ever kind of makes a person look like a twat sometimes to me.

On another note, MUSIC IS MY LIFE comments. I just don't... is your iPod a respirator?

Last edited by Projectwolfie; 10-20-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Ryubahamut
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-20-2011, 03:06 PM

I judge a little when it comes to music, but I can't help but laugh at myself when I think of what I listen to as well. I have friends who love the song Friday and I know a bunch of you rolled your eyes when you read that, but it's no different when I tell people I listen to groups like Linkin Park. I think we all have favorites mixed in with some guilty pleasures like skeletons in the closet. Hell, I just started to really appreciate rap a year or two ago. Country is still not my thing though, but I'm guessing I haven't found a song I liked yet. Suggestions are welcome though.

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...

Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 PM

When most people claim that music is their life, it tends to be bullshit that only applies when their favorite artist releases a new album. For others, such as myself, we need to have music playing during the majority of our waking hours or it affects us negatively. There are also people, myself included, who only truly feel alive during a live show. It can be very difficult to describe and I have never been able to find the words to do such feelings justice. However, unless someone proves their love and devotion, I just ignore them.

Projectwolfie

Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 AM

I get what you mean, I'm a bit like that. If nothing's playing in the background even while I'm hard at work, I tend to be either grumpy or my mind tends to wonder away from what I'm doing. XD

For me it's a combination of that, and it being one of my favorite interests to share. I like giving people new things to listen to; it's sort of like sometimes I've given a little bit of variety, or even something to think about in the best possible way. Because more likely than not, it has the ability to stick with the person if possible.

Hmmmmm.... as for the word, "audioslave" perhaps? Has a ring to it. :P

Last edited by Projectwolfie; 10-21-2011 at 02:11 AM..

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...

Old 10-21-2011, 02:34 AM

And a great band ;)

Music definitely has staying power. I went through a lot of shit with my ex that has left a bad taste in my mouth but introducing me to a few actually decent punk bands was the one useful thing that came out of it all.

Projectwolfie

Old 10-21-2011, 03:06 AM

Oh yes, I know how that goes definitely, great bands always come in at exactly the right time. I remember finding Ska right at some times that really let me down in a lot of ways. Rough patches in life... you gotta hate them, but there's always something to help you muddle through. XD

Last edited by Projectwolfie; 10-21-2011 at 03:09 AM..

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...

Old 10-21-2011, 03:35 AM

And it's even better if it's music!

Ride Sally Ride
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-01-2011, 01:46 PM

I think there's a certain line to be drawn when judging someone by music taste... and yes, doing it in a completely negative fashion is just straight out fucked up, but I have to admit that when people list a certain group of bands they enjoy, it can affect my view of them. I know that I am definitely closer to people who have similar music tastes to me, and I think that a large part of that has to do with the fact that music is, in and of itself, a universal language. Just like a piece of art, you will identify with different sounds as opposed to others, and a lot of that has to do with your background, needs, desires, and interests... so yes, it will say a LOT about your personality.

With that said, I do have this thing about not being able to date people who aren't fans of Green Day. It's not that you can't not like them, but... they're too significant for me to not have a boyfriend or girlfriend who appreciates them to some extent as well. I think that goes for anyone with their favorite band, though. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm rambling at this point, but in regards to Green Day... that has to be the one thing that pisses me off when I tell people that they're my favorite band; people tend to "link" groups together, which is why I always try to find out what group of bands people listen to as opposed to just one. While I am in deed a fan of Green Day, by no means am I a fan of My Chemical Romance, Blink-182, Simple Plan, or any other band to follow after them. Ugh...

@Projectwolfie: You're a ska fan? Ahhh, I love you. I noticed that I have a natural inclination to the genre and have been trying to find some good ska bands to listen to. What ska bands do you listen to?

Last edited by Ride Sally Ride; 11-01-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Ottersaurus
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 AM

I'm definitely prone to judging people depending on what they listen to a majority of the time, but it's not really that I judge their personalities. I've found that generally whatever someone listens to the most at any one time is more a reflection of their mental and emotional state. I don't generally treat them any differently unless they behave in such a manner that I feel inclined to lose my lunch and/or hurt something.

There are some bands who have followers I just generally don't get along with. For example, I have not been able to this day get along well with a single person who listens to Escape the Fate or Paramore.

Syke
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM

LOL, I do the same thing. I hate judging people, especially those of whom I haven't known for awhile..but it's kind of hard not to judge them if they legitimately like Rebecca Black. x_x