Takeda Chiyoko
Send a message via AIM to Takeda Chiyoko Send a message via MSN to Takeda Chiyoko

Old 11-14-2007, 03:25 AM

Recently I have been confused with the term "inspiration" after finding out about the Toounit incident on DeviantART.

Is work inspired by something not plagiarizing when there are some elements of the original image/picture/painting?

If it is yes for the question above, what do you classify "inspiration" as? And what art "should" result from inspiration?

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 11-17-2007, 06:07 AM

I think inspiration is just the feeling you get to draw something. This could come from almost anywhere, a person, a show, a drawing, a speech... Things like that. You can't really pull it out of thin air. Any art could come from inspiration. Mainly art that you have created and love.

ScarletStratholme
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-13-2008, 06:50 AM

Inspiration is that glimmer of light between dark brain-fart clouds that suffocate your mind. XD

Violet Lace
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-14-2008, 05:01 PM

I don't know about the "Toounit incident" you're talking about, but you do have to be careful about how much you're inspired by something. I think a good rule of thumb is that when something is inspired by something else, it'll have maybe two or three elements in common without being exactly the same. For instance, a similar color scheme, or mood, or subject matter.

Inspiration is a pretty loose term really.

Besides, I think the best way to develop your own style is to look at art you admire, draw elements from all of them, and use them to make your own style. I do that all the time.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM

I think there's a gray area between inspiration and plagiarism. However, in no way should you be able to overlay two images that are "original" and have them match almost perfectly. In the Toounit incident, the main image that upset people overlapped almost exactly (aside from the face) with another image by a famous artist. A lot of the art in their gallery also shared very similar poses and compositions with a variety of other artists pictures.

I'd say that borrowing similar ideas is okay, so long as it's not too unique, but copying poses, especially when the composition is similar, is not okay. But referencing poses is fine, so long as the lines aren't a direct copy. In the end, as long as the two images are not obvious copies when compared, you are probably not plagiarizing.

silent.assassin
Dead Account Holder

Old 01-16-2008, 04:00 AM

Inspiration is when you see someone do something, and you want to try it out too. Not plagiarizing. There IS a difference, though some anime scribbling noobs don't seem to see the difference at all. Heck, bunch of people copied me, they called it, "inspiration". AHAHAHA.

.silent

Reiny
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-19-2008, 02:10 AM

There was an incident with toounit? o.o I would like to know what happened. @3@

rampartte
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 AM

I feel anything you see, hear, or experience that gives you an idea to create something new, that is inspiration. If you simply copy part of something else because you like it, then try and make it into your own thing, then it isn't really an inspired piece of work.

Also, if someone elses work inspires your own, you should always give them credit for the work. And if that person has written with their work that they would find it offensive if anyone copies a portion of their work, I would also respect those wishes.

There is definitely a difference between copying and creating something new, even if both can technically called inspiration. One is moral, and one is not.

スケィス
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM

I call it inspiration when something makes me feel like scribbling something down. Not BOREDOM, but when I'm listening to a good song and have a image in my head I want to put down on paper. It's usually like, rated n-17 stuff, so I guess I have a perverted mind. D:

Tal Blaiser
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Artistic inspiration, something that drives, influences and motivates you to draw or paint something. Emotion is one of my inspiration, cause I illustrate happy picture when I'm happy and something dark when angry... but I don't depend on inspiration for most of my work[commissions] cause inspiration rarely comes, I can illustrate whenever I need or have too[by force].

About toounit's incident? IMO you or some artist may/might share the same ideas, concept and theme, but the way you execute those factors on your art will have a great differences, cause you have different style, technique, perception and level of skill... That's all I can say.

Hon
De-activated

Old 03-12-2008, 01:22 AM

Got curious as to what you meant about "Toounit" drama, and that you never replied back to anyone. xD; Digged it up on Google. <3

If anyones interested, Image of Toounit's drawings compared to others.

I have to say, regarding this topic (I realize now that it's abit old..) that Toounit's 'inspiration' was wrong. He's a very good artist, but.. From some of those pictures, it looks like he's just stealing ideas. =\ Tal Blaiser is right, though. I feel Toounit just tried to make it look like he didn't steal and used different ways of portraying the image. It would be fine, since he's a very talented artist, and people should explore- but he was actually selling those pictures.

I get inspired by a lot of artists. Some of their ideas and way they use their style. 8D It's not a bad thing, but if you try to reference it off of someonelses, you're not using your own imagination.

sliverwind

Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 AM

lalala i dont now but it is used in every day life

D-Yoop
*^_^*

Old 03-17-2008, 10:23 PM

Inspiration to me means "To find something new".

And with everything new you find, you feel the urge to explore it. And so you will. You will use your creativity to explore this new thing you found.

You could call a drawing inspired by an other drawing, copying. You could call a worldexplorer inspired by a different explorer a copycat. But I dont agree with that way of thinking.

In the end we all see the world differently. You can walk the same path, you'll never walk every step precisely. But it can help you to move further, and get you to realize what way you truly want to go. Art is the same thing.

Han'iurami
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to Han'iurami

Old 03-18-2008, 01:57 AM

I'd have to say that inspiration comes in many forms,mine comes in the form of muses.As for how far you should be inspired,I say that's up to you.Sure someone may claim that you are plagiarizing their work but hey,YOU were the one inspired by THEIR work so i'll be damned if that could ever stop me.Honestly I think as long as someone puts some form of recognition from the original artist it should be alright to modify and alternate that persons design,with their permission of course ^^

HotaruHoshi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-19-2008, 01:46 AM

I think inspiration corresponds with ideas, you get ideas from seeing things, evn if it's other peoples artwork, and thing, 'ehy i could draw that' or 'thats something i could make into an artwork'

Everyone has his own form of where inspiration comes from, but i think it's just something that lights a lamp in your brain jsut to put it that way ^^